[Clip] SetHintInfo & SetScreenUpdate

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 12, 1999
      Hi Ray,

      > And I just discovered that clips (well, at least this one) run
      > a lot faster using SetHintInfo than SetScreenUpdate OFF.

      I try to remember to use both, because both will help. Perhaps
      one more than the other depending on the script and file type.
      Both are not necessarily needed though.

      The speed when "bouncing" around in HTML files, doing multiple
      files, etc. is helped by SetScreenUpdate Off, especially on
      slower machines with low resources. Text files are not improved
      much using it.

      SetHintInfo effects the display an the status bar as you know.
      The more times it has to update the slower the process as a
      whole. The speed in loops and line by line type scripts can
      really be improved using this tremendously. Again, on slower
      machines with low resources one can really see the difference. I
      tested once on my 486DX80 32MB RAM and was a *900%* difference.
      Nicole said she did not see much difference at all, but she has
      one of the fast machines with "mega mem."

      From Help:

      ^!SetScreenUpdate [On|Off] (added in v4.52)
      Enables or disables updating of the NoteTab application window.
      Disabling updating when a repetitive sequence of Clip commands
      affects the text layout can significantly improve the processing
      speed. The scope of this command is limited to the Clip (and
      eventual sub-Clips) where it was invoked. When a Clip ends,
      screen updating is automatically re-enabled. Since version 4.6,
      the following commands will now force a screen refresh while
      screen updating is disabled: ^!Prompt, ^!Continue, ^!Skip,
      ^!Info, ^!StatusShow, and Clip Wizards based on ^?{...} type
      fields.

      ^!SetHintInfo AnyText
      Turns the status bar Clip messages on or off. When you specify
      text, it will be displayed in the status bar instead of the usual
      Clip messages. To re-enable the display of normal Clip messages,
      just invoke the command without any text. This command only has
      an effect during the time the Clip is running.

      http://www.sureword.com/notetab

      The NoteTab Clip List...
      mailto:Ntb-Clips-Subscribe@...