Re: [Clip] disappearing Hyperlink

    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 25, 2007
      Axel Berger wrote:
      > ^!IfTrue ^$IsUrl("^%varURL%a.htm")$ SKIP

      Some time ago I modified my clips for links. I used to always cut and
      paste the target URLs but added a file select. Unfortunately many sites
      I want to link to have homepages ending in "/". Now I find that this
      ^!Set %varURL%=^?{(T=T;F="Link Files|*.*htm*;*.php;*.pl;*.cgi")Enter a
      URL};

      yields an empty string irrespective of using T=T or T=O. Trying to
      define an empty string or even getting rid of the filter altogether does
      not help at all. So is there any way to allow file selection while still
      being able to paste these (not at all rare!) URLs?

      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 29, 2007
        Axel Berger wrote:
        > So is there any way to allow file selection while still
        > being able to paste these (not at all rare!) URLs?

        Noone got any idea? Whenever you use a fileselect in clips you can also
        paste the name directly. But if the full name (i.e. path or URL) ends in
        a "/" the whole thing gets thrown away. Now paths without file is how
        many homepages I want to link to appear and my clip beginning with:

        ^!Set %varURL%=^?{(T=O;F="Link Files|*.*htm*;*.php;*.pl;*.cgi")Enter a
        URL}; %varDSC%=^?{Enter a description for this link}

        won't work. I have not been able to solve that.

        Axel
      • Jeff Scism
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 29, 2007
          Obviously there is a method to browse to files in your computer and
          have NoteTab make them into links. I have been using a clip for that
          for about a year now (Thanks to Jody, RIP), But having the ability to
          have notetab browse to a web site NOT in your computer, say on the
          internet, and one that ends in a "/" - probably not easy to do in a
          clip. Those usually have a default index page that is the true
          destination opened by a browser, (usually index.html or something
          similar, like default.html.)I went to GOOGLE, http://www.google.com/
          and used the address: http://www.google.com/index.html, and it opened
          right up.
          I don't know if this helps in your problem or not.
        • Jeff Scism
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 29, 2007
            Almost all Web servers have a default file, usually *index.html*, but
            sometimes* index.htm*, *default.html*, *welcome.html*, or
            *default.htm*, that will be loaded automatically when a directory name
            is used as the URL. You can take advantage of this to make your URL
            shorter and more elegant-looking. Leaving off the default file name from
            a url will STILL load it properly if the file is present. (In my case
            http:blacksheep.rootsweb.com/ loads the
            http://blacksheep.rootsweb.com/index.html file, which calls the Navigate
            and "CONTENT" framed pages..)

            A default page with a extension of *.html will load in priority over a
            like named file that has the *.htm extension, especially in UNIX and
            Microsoft based browsers/servers.
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 29, 2007
              Jeff Scism wrote:
              > But having the ability to have notetab browse to a web site
              > NOT in your computer, say on the internet, and one that ends
              > in a "/" - probably not easy to do in a clip.

              No that's not what I'm doing. In all cases where you can browse in
              clips, you can also just type or in my case paste. But if the clip
              expects a file or URL and I paste something ending in "/" as that's all
              the address line I'm cutting from has, then the clip throws all of it
              away and returns an empty variable. But it is a valid URL and NoteTab
              ought to accept it as such.

              Axel
            • Corl DeLuna
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 29, 2007
                Hi Axel,

                I have two clips for links, one internal, one external. With the external
                one, I simply paste the link in

                site">^&</a>

                Corl

                _____

                <http://www.google.com/> com/
                and used the address: http://www.google <http://www.google.com/index.html,>

                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 29, 2007
                  Jeff Scism wrote:
                  > Those usually have a default index page that is the true
                  > destination opened by a browser, (usually index.html or something
                  > similar, like default.html.)

                  I forgot:
                  Of course they do, but they do not give it for a reason and you should
                  not include it. I do the same thing on my site. Omitting the file allows
                  me to replace index.htm with index.php or index.shtml or something else
                  and all those links to my site will still work. So if you want your
                  links not to be broken, don't include anything you don't have to.

                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 29, 2007
                    Corl DeLuna wrote:
                    > I have two clips for links, one internal, one external.

                    Yes, that's what I was hoping to avoid. For complete URLs the clip doing
                    both works perfectly and I can use the same for in- and external.