Re: Clip to save cursor position.

  • acummingsus
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 23 12:00 AM
      --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Stan Blazejewski <stanblaz@...> wrote:
      [ . . ]
      > I often work on large files & edit portions of them. When reloading
      the file
      > later on / next day, I have to scroll through everything until I
      find the spot
      > where I was last working.

      <snipped desires to automate to the former cursor position>
      [ . . ]
      > Does anyone know of such a clip and/or give clues as to writing one?

      I can now see there are many different ways to do this.

      1. It donned on me that just writing the value to ini would not be
      that easy because the cursor position must be associated with a
      particular doc/file name (in the case that you have multiple docs that
      you do this with). This could be done though it may take some time
      and effort (to write a clip as this).

      2. Harvey has shared one way to do what you want to do.

      I experimented with Notetab's bookmark feature. But it relies on not
      closing the doc (must leave the doc open in Notetab and close
      Notetab). such bookmark is stored in the prog ini, thus:

      [AutoLoad]
      LoadFiles=5
      FileName_1=C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro 5\ReadMe.txt
      FileName_2=C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro 5\Readme.otl
      FileName_3=C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro 5\WhatsNew.txt
      FileName_4=E:\insight\beta331.txt
      FileName_5=[Clips]
      ActiveDoc=1

      [AutoLoad_1]
      IsPasteBoard=0
      InSecondWindow=0
      OutlineIndex=-1
      FrameSize=690/434
      TextPosition=1/1
      CaretPosition=9/1
      Bookmarks=1
      Bookmark_1=1/9/1

      If you close that doc (in this case it's ReadMe.txt), such bookmark
      value in the ini is gone and it doesn't come back (unless you set a
      bookmark again, it's now a new bookmark since the old bookmark is gone).

      H="stor_recall_cursor"
      ^!Menu "Search/Go To Bookmark/Clear Bookmarks"
      ^!Menu "Search/Set Bookmark/Marker 1"

      Can run that clip on a doc (when done for the day on that doc) (cannot
      then close that doc -- relies on closing Notetab with that doc still
      open in notetab)
      ---------------------------

      I know people that use Notetab as a catalog or project holder of sorts
      by the use of multiple ini files.

      From Notetab, a clip can launch a 2nd Notetab using a differently
      named prog ini

      People that do this use it for projects that they want to return to.
      They merely leave these docs open in Notetab and just close Notetab
      when they are done for the day.

      Each of multiple projects is its own uniquely named prog ini and
      launched happens from either a clip or a windows shortcut (command
      line method to custom launch one of your varietys of Notetab).

      3. So, just do not close the docs, leave them open in Notetab (all of
      bells and whistles ie bookmarks avail, etc.) Close Notetab when done
      for the day on project. Multiple ini for multiple projects.

      4. An .otl outline could be used as the recorder for the data of (a)
      cursor position and (b) filename of doc of each of the docs that you
      want to automate to previous cursor position when you load the doc.
      (clip that writes doc's filename as an .otl topic/heading and cursor
      pos is the only text underneath this unique topic/heading -- write it
      upon close of doc and read it when open a doc)

      (Larry Thomas some time ago wrote a well used clip that puts current
      date as an .otl topic/heading then pastes content of clipboard as the
      text for this topic. It may also be onclipboard change it repeats
      upon clipboard change (always get a unique topic/heading due to
      seconds included in it)(tick tock goes the clock). That clip was/is
      for capturing snippets (from www and elsewhere). I'm unaware where
      this clip nowadays. Perhaps at Notetab clip repository? Search the
      archives at Yahoo Groups. Perhaps someone knows.

      There's 4 different ways in which to achieve the objective at hand.
      There may be more.

      --
      Alan.
    • Mark B.
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 23 3:57 AM
        --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "acummingsus" <acummingsus@...> wrote:

        > 3. So, just do not close the docs, leave them open in Notetab
        > (all of bells and whistles ie bookmarks avail, etc.) Close
        > Notetab when done for the day on project.

        In that case, if documents are going to be left open, choose Options |
        General | Reload Open Documents. Then NoteTab will remember the cursor
        position on its own, without any help from clips. (Using NoteTab Std 5.1)
      • hsavage
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 25 11:10 AM
          hsavage wrote:
          > Stan Blazejewski wrote:
          >> Before I go head long into writing a clip
          >>
          >> I often work on large files & edit portions of them.
          >> When reloading the file later on / next day, I have to
          >> scroll through everything until I find the spot where
          >> I was last working.
          >>
          >> It's been suggested that a clip could load and save a
          > file & while doing so would also save the cursor position
          >>
          >> Does anyone know of such a clip and/or give clues as
          >> to writing one?
          >
          > Stan,
          >
          > This is a slightly different version of the bookmark clip.
          It places 2 bookmarks, 1 at the cursor position and 1 as
          line 1, with that you can tell at a glance after loading,
          if you've loaded a bookmarked file.

          > -----------------
          > H="~SKRAMKOOBYM~"
          > ; � Modified-Updated~Created_20070323
          > ; � hrs � hsavage�pobox�com_12:33:13a
          > ----------------

          Stan,

          Hope this new clip helps, it solves your known problems with bookmarks.

          This clip will;

          � Place a bookmark at the cursor of the focused file

          � Save the path/filename for bookmarked files in a data file in
          NoteTab's Favorites folder

          � Save the bookmarked file with the bookmark in place

          � After the first bookmark is saved will present you with a list of
          bookmarked files when run

          � Load selected filenames from the data file as each is selected

          � Locate and delete filenames of selected files from data file

          � Locate and delete bookmark - leaving cursor in the bookmarked location

          � Slide the cursor location upward to line 2 in the view screen

          � Delete the data file when it becomes empty

          Even as the clip presents a list of bookmarked files you can bypass that
          by making 'no selection' therefore bookmarking the currently focused file.

          This clip works well, and has no gaping holes, none I can see that is.

          I'm attaching a text file containing the clip because I'm copying this
          to Stan, those on the list will not see the attachment.

          Be watchful for email wrapped lines.

          ----------------
          H="~KRAMKOOBYM~"
          ; � Modified-Updated~Created_20070325
          ; � hrs � hsavage�pobox�com_09:50:23a
          ^!SetScreenUpdate 0
          ^!SetWizardTitle "PICK BOOKMARKED FILE TO EDIT"
          ^!SetWizardLabel ">NO SELECTION< ALLOWS SETTING BOOKMARK"
          ; �����
          ^!SetDebug 0
          ; �----
          ^!IfFileExist "^$GetFavoritePath$SKRAMKOOBYM.bmf" NEXT ELSE INSERT
          ^!Set %bmf%=^$GetFileText("^$GetFavoritePath$SKRAMKOOBYM.bmf")$
          ^!Set %bmf%=^$StrTrim(^$StrSort("^%bmf%";0;1;1)$)$
          ^!TextToFile "^$GetFavoritePath$SKRAMKOOBYM.bmf" ^%bmf%^%nL%
          ^!Set %bmf%=^$StrReplace("^%nL%";"|";"^%bmf%";0;0)$
          ^!Set %bmfpik%="^?{(T=L;H=15)SELECT BOOKMARKED FILE TO EDIT=_|^%bmf%}"
          ^!Set %bmf%=^$StrReplace("|";"^%nL%";"^%bmf%";0;0)$
          ^!If '^%bmfpik%' = '' INSERT
          ^!Set %bmf%=^$StrReplace("^%bmfpik%";"";"^%bmf%";0;0)$
          ^!Set %bmf%=^$StrTrim("^$StrSort("^%bmf%";0;1;1)$")$
          ^!TextToFile "^$GetFavoritePath$SKRAMKOOBYM.bmf" ^%bmf%^%nL%
          ^!If '^%bmf%' = '' ^!DeleteFile ^$GetFavoritePath$SKRAMKOOBYM.bmf
          :LOAD
          ^!If '^%bmfpik%' = '' SKIP
          ^!Open "^%bmfpik%"
          ^!StatusShow [ Opening File, Locating, Deleting BookMark ]
          ^!Delay 10
          ^!Find "~KRAMKOOBYM~" TWS
          ^!IfError NEXT ELSE Skip_2
          ^!Jump 1
          ^!GoTo END
          ^!Menu Edit/Cut
          ^!SetView ^$Calc(^$GetRow$-1)$:1
          ^!Save
          ^!GoTo END
          :INSERT
          ^!AppendToFile "^$GetFavoritePath$SKRAMKOOBYM.bmf"
          ^$GetExpandedName(^##)$^%nL%
          ^!StatusShow [ Placing BookMark In Focused File ]
          ^!Delay 10
          ^!InsertText ~KRAMKOOBYM~
          :SAVE
          ^!Close SAVE
          ;^!Save
          ------------------

          �v� SL-3-196
          2007.03.25 - 09.49.41

          One of us is thinking about sex..., OK, it's me.

          � hrs � hsavage@...

          ----------

        • Stan Blazejewski
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 26 5:52 AM
            On Sun, 25 Mar 2007 13:10:08 -0500, you wrote:

            >hsavage wrote:
            > > Stan Blazejewski wrote:
            > >> Before I go head long into writing a clip
            > >>
            > >> I often work on large files & edit portions of them.
            > >> When reloading the file later on / next day, I have to
            > >> scroll through everything until I find the spot where
            > >> I was last working.
            > >>
            > >> It's been suggested that a clip could load and save a
            > > file & while doing so would also save the cursor position
            > >>
            > >> Does anyone know of such a clip and/or give clues as
            > >> to writing one?
            > >
            > > Stan,
            > >
            > > This is a slightly different version of the bookmark clip.
            >It places 2 bookmarks, 1 at the cursor position and 1 as
            >line 1, with that you can tell at a glance after loading,
            >if you've loaded a bookmarked file.
            > >
            > > -----------------
            > > H="~SKRAMKOOBYM~"
            > > ; • Modified-Updated~Created_20070323
            > > ; • hrs ø hsavage·pobox·com_12:33:13a
            > > ----------------
            >
            >Stan,
            >
            >Hope this new clip helps, it solves your known problems with bookmarks.
            >
            >This clip will;
            >
            >• Place a bookmark at the cursor of the focused file
            >
            >• Save the path/filename for bookmarked files in a data file in
            >NoteTab's Favorites folder
            >
            >• Save the bookmarked file with the bookmark in place
            >
            >• After the first bookmark is saved will present you with a list of
            >bookmarked files when run
            >
            >• Load selected filenames from the data file as each is selected
            >
            >• Locate and delete filenames of selected files from data file
            >
            >• Locate and delete bookmark - leaving cursor in the bookmarked location
            >
            >• Slide the cursor location upward to line 2 in the view screen
            >
            >• Delete the data file when it becomes empty
            >
            >Even as the clip presents a list of bookmarked files you can bypass that
            >by making 'no selection' therefore bookmarking the currently focused file.
            >
            >This clip works well, and has no gaping holes, none I can see that is.
            >
            >I'm attaching a text file containing the clip because I'm copying this
            >to Stan, those on the list will not see the attachment.
            >
            >Be watchful for email wrapped lines.

            G'day hsavage (for want of your real name),

            Your efforts are appreciated, the first 2 clips worked (simple, added a number
            of extra steps to loading a file) but this last one doesn't seem to function.
            When it is used it seems to go straight to the 'insert' section & inserts ...

            C:\WinUpdates\^## <- or whatever path is used at the time.
            ~KRAMKOOBYM~

            then saves BUT never creates the .bmf file anywhere on the drive and as such
            will never actually load a file.

            From your description it sounds like it'd be ideal for the job ... if it worked.

            PS, I'm pretty sure no lines were wrapped, nothing looked 'out of place'.

            stanblaz@...
            www.parkdaleyc.com (where most of them sail)
          • hsavage
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 26 10:01 AM
              Stan Blazejewski wrote:
              > On Sun, 25 Mar 2007 13:10:08 -0500, you wrote:
              >
              > Before I go head long into writing a clip
              > Stan,

              Stan,

              Sorry I didn't make it clear, on first, and any subsequent,
              use you should have the file to bookmark focused. The clip 'will'
              go directly to INSERT on first use, because there's no data file,
              yet, for reference.

              Likewise, any time thereafter that the data file has been emptied.
              If the 'data file' is emptied the 'data file' will be deleted, and
              rebuilt the next time you bookmark a file.

              This clip will;

              • Place a bookmark at the cursor of the focused file

              • Save the path/filename for bookmarked files in a datafile
              in NoteTab's Favorites folder

              • Save the bookmarked file with the bookmark in place

              • After the first bookmark is saved, dialog will present you
              with a list of bookmarked files when the clip is run

              • Load selected filenames from the data file as each is selected

              • Locate and delete filenames of selected files from data file

              • Locate and delete bookmark - leaving cursor in the bookmarked
              location

              • Slide the cursor location upward to line 2 in the view screen

              • Delete the data file when it becomes empty

              When the clip dialog presents a list of bookmarked files
              you can BYPASS that by making 'No Selection', just click OK,
              therefore bookmarking the 'Currently Focused File'.

              This clip works well, and has no gaping holes, none I can see that is.

              I THINK I KNOW why you're having trouble. I copied the clip from
              from the group email, pasted it into a clipbook and found one
              wrapped line.

              It was the ^!AppendToFile line. This part '^$GetExpandedName(^##)$^%nL%'
              was wrapped to the next line. It should be the end of the Append line.

              You should swap the old for the new. I'm pasting the latest clip
              rendition after adding several comment lines for operational insight,
              and, using a variable, tried to shorten some of the longer lines.

              Be watchful for email wrapped lines. Paste the clip into NoteTab,
              all lines in this clip, other than the cliptitle, should begin with
              one of these three, colon :, semi-colon ;, or caret-exclamation ^!,
              nothing else.

              ------------------
              H="~SKRAMKOOBYM~"
              ; • Modified-Updated~Created_20070326
              ; • hrs ø hsavage·pobox·com_10:26:55a
              ^!SetScreenUpdate 0
              ^!SetWizardTitle "PICK BOOKMARKED FILE TO EDIT"
              ^!SetWizardLabel ">NO SELECTION< ALLOWS SETTING BOOKMARK"
              ^!Set %datafile%="^$GetFavoritePath$SKRAMKOOBYM.bmf"
              ; •····
              ^!SetDebug 0
              ; •----
              ;
              ; • on first use will go to INSERT because there's no data file
              ^!IfFileExist ^%datafile% NEXT ELSE INSERT
              ;
              ; • load sorted list of bookmarked files
              ^!Set %bmf%=^$GetFileText("^%datafile%")$
              ^!Set %bmf%=^$StrTrim(^$StrSort("^%bmf%";0;1;1)$)$
              ^!TextToFile "^%datafile%" ^%bmf%^%nL%
              ;
              ; • swapping delimiters for proper display
              ^!Set %bmf%=^$StrReplace("^%nL%";"|";"^%bmf%";0;0)$
              ^!Set %bmfpik%="^?{(T=L;H=15)SELECT BOOKMARKED FILE TO EDIT=_|^%bmf%}"
              ^!If '^%bmfpik%' = '' INSERT
              ^!Set %bmf%=^$StrReplace("|";"^%nL%";"^%bmf%";0;0)$
              ;
              ; • remove Selected filename, blank line if any, sort, save list
              ^!Set %bmf%=^$StrReplace("^%bmfpik%";"";"^%bmf%";0;0)$
              ^!Set %bmf%=^$StrTrim("^$StrSort("^%bmf%";0;1;1)$")$
              ^!TextToFile "^%datafile%" ^%bmf%^%nL%
              ;
              ; • deletes data file if empty
              ^!If '^%bmf%' = '' ^!DeleteFile "^%datafile%"
              ;
              :LOAD
              ; • opens Selected bookmarked file, finds/deletes bookmark, saves file
              ^!If '^%bmfpik%' = '' SKIP
              ^!Open "^%bmfpik%"
              ^!StatusShow Opening File, Locating, Deleting BookMark
              ^!Delay 10
              ^!Find "~KRAMKOOBYM~" TWS
              ^!IfError NEXT ELSE Skip_2
              ^!Jump 1
              ^!GoTo END
              ^!Menu Edit/Cut
              ^!SetView ^$Calc(^$GetRow$-1)$:1
              ^!Save
              ^!GoTo END
              :INSERT
              ;
              ; • appends focused filename to data file, inserts bookmark, saves data file
              ^!AppendToFile "^%datafile%" ^$GetExpandedName(^##)$^%nL%
              ^!StatusShow Placing BookMark In Focused File
              ^!Delay 10
              ^!InsertText ~KRAMKOOBYM~
              :SAVE
              ^!Close SAVE
              ;^!Save
              :END
              ------------------

              ºvº SL-3-204
              2007.03.26 - 10.00.02

              Stress is when you wake up screaming,
              then realize you haven't fallen asleep yet.

              ¤ hrs ø hsavage@...
            • Stan Blazejewski
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 3, 2007
                Sorry it's taken so long to get back to you. It seems that the line in your
                first clip that ended with ^$GetExpandedName(^##)$^%nL% was being wrapped & I
                didn't know enough about clips to see the error (it 'looked' fine) & that was
                stopping the clip from working as intended.

                It works very well & will fill the gap nicely ... thanks.

                The only drawback is that if (for instance) I am working on a HTML file, I need
                to save 2 versions of that file.... a 'publish' version & a 'bookmarked' version
                which is much less of a problem than trying to find the last edit position each
                time.... thanks again.

                On Mon, 26 Mar 2007 12:01:21 -0500, you wrote:

                >Stan Blazejewski wrote:
                > > On Sun, 25 Mar 2007 13:10:08 -0500, you wrote:
                > >
                > > Before I go head long into writing a clip
                > > Stan,
                >
                >Stan,
                >
                >Sorry I didn't make it clear, on first, and any subsequent,
                >use you should have the file to bookmark focused. The clip 'will'
                >go directly to INSERT on first use, because there's no data file,
                >yet, for reference.
                >
                >Likewise, any time thereafter that the data file has been emptied.
                >If the 'data file' is emptied the 'data file' will be deleted, and
                >rebuilt the next time you bookmark a file.
                >

                >This clip will;
                >
                >• Place a bookmark at the cursor of the focused file
                >
                >• Save the path/filename for bookmarked files in a datafile
                >in NoteTab's Favorites folder
                >
                >• Save the bookmarked file with the bookmark in place
                >
                >• After the first bookmark is saved, dialog will present you
                >with a list of bookmarked files when the clip is run
                >
                >• Load selected filenames from the data file as each is selected
                >
                >• Locate and delete filenames of selected files from data file
                >
                >• Locate and delete bookmark - leaving cursor in the bookmarked
                >location
                >
                >• Slide the cursor location upward to line 2 in the view screen
                >
                >• Delete the data file when it becomes empty
                >
                >When the clip dialog presents a list of bookmarked files
                >you can BYPASS that by making 'No Selection', just click OK,
                >therefore bookmarking the 'Currently Focused File'.
                >
                >This clip works well, and has no gaping holes, none I can see that is.
                >
                >I THINK I KNOW why you're having trouble. I copied the clip from
                >from the group email, pasted it into a clipbook and found one
                >wrapped line.
                >
                >It was the ^!AppendToFile line. This part '^$GetExpandedName(^##)$^%nL%'
                >was wrapped to the next line. It should be the end of the Append line.
                >
                >You should swap the old for the new. I'm pasting the latest clip
                >rendition after adding several comment lines for operational insight,
                >and, using a variable, tried to shorten some of the longer lines.
                >
                >Be watchful for email wrapped lines. Paste the clip into NoteTab,
                >all lines in this clip, other than the cliptitle, should begin with
                >one of these three, colon :, semi-colon ;, or caret-exclamation ^!,
                >nothing else.

                [snip clip code coz it's been repeated enuf times already]