Re: [Clip] .css file not being totally read?

  • Chuck Seward
    Message 1 of 24 , Mar 8, 2007
      I the truest sense of things the table won't display until all elements
      within the table have been rendered. To the point, tables render badly and
      will slow the apparent load of a page, especially if the entire page is in a
      table and/or other tables are utilized inside it for layout.

      Long-winded, but hope it helps steer toward more usage of CSS.

      Message 2 of 24 , Mar 8, 2007

        sisterscape wrote:

        > I'm not Axel but yes. Same goes for font sizing - ems and
        > percentages allow for flexibility.

        Sorry, but you're both wrong, because one can't do both. If you want a
        cell to be right for its content then you need to size it in ems, if you
        want it to conform to the window you have to use percentages. For one,
        and only one, window size, i.e. the one the designer happened to have
        been using herself, will the two measures coincide and the design look
        good.

        N.B: Is there any way to use em in Javascript? I have done my utmost to
        make my site http://berger-odenthal.de conform to whatever window the
        reader chooses but there still is of course a best size. In some places
        I have put two pictures side by side and ideally they should just fit,
        any more and the lines get too long. So for those who unlike me do not
        switch JS off I thought I might offer a "resize window to optimum"
        button, but that optimum should reflect the chosen font size.

        Message 3 of 24 , Mar 8, 2007
          Christine wrote:
          > I admit to having a hard to sticking to one or the other and not
          > the 3rd. Years of law firm tech support, I guess.

          What is your problem? NoteTab has an intrinsic funtion to make all tags
          one case. I have put it into my clipbar right next to the icon
          converting all my umlauts into HTML.
          I still prefer upper case for my HTML, it makes the tags stand out more
          in the source, but changing over to XHTML would be very easy thanks to
          NoteTab.

          Axel
        • sisterscape
          Message 4 of 24 , Mar 8, 2007
            Well, I use percentages for divs and the occasional data table and mix
            ems and percentages for fonts and everything is always fluid and looks
            great at all window sizes.

            --- Axel Berger <Axel-Berger@...> wrote:

            > Sorry, but you're both wrong, because one can't do both. If you want
            > cell to be right for its content then you need to size it in ems, if
            > you
            > want it to conform to the window you have to use percentages.

            Finding fabulous fares is fun.
          • Christine
            Message 5 of 24 , Mar 9, 2007
              <ahem>
              I've never understood the difference between xhtml and html.
              So what I'm hearing is I have to care?
              Why would a language used to facilitate viewing be case sensitive?
              What about all the programs that either choose or give the author the
              choice of using upper/mixed cases? Such as ... NoteTab?

              C.

              --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, sisterscape <sisterscape@...> wrote:

              > xhtml requires lower case. Won't validate with upper case.
              >

              > --- Christine <christine@...> wrote:
              >
              > > Why, Don?
              > > I've always read and understood that upper or lower, just not
              > > sentence
              > > case. I admit to having a hard to sticking to one or the other
              and
              > > not
              > > the 3rd. Years of law firm tech support, I guess.
              > > C.

            • Christine
              Message 6 of 24 , Mar 9, 2007
                My problem, Axel?
                Shall I put that off the misverstehen der umgangsprache?
                I hadn't noticed I had a problem until you have been kind enough to
                point it out. Ignorance is truly bliss.

                1st, I don't use a mouse unless hell is freezing over, so having it in
                your clip bar is your convenience. I have tried to make my HTML upper
                case after many posts of advice here on these lists.

                2nd, as in today, I'm hearing I should change everything to lower
                case;.

                3rd, at the same time, I will achieve enlightenment only if I
                immediately un-bloat my files (which load just fine, thank you, using
                percentages, too), to boxes vs. tables.

                and 4th, at the moment, I'm dealing with a total site corruption from
                my web hosts' sale. If I had a problem, that would be it. If it's the
                worst thing that happens, this YEAR? It's hardly a problem.

                Having a friend die, a house fire where I lost 4 of my pets, my
                husband's hospitalization from smoke inhalation, pneumonia, and surgery
                for separating his shoulder carrying all our pets out of a burning
                house? Having another friend die? Those, my dear, are problems.

                So convert away. Evidently YOU don't have a problem.
                (Have I impressed upon you how offensive a question put that way is,
                despite the normal value your input has?)

                Christine

                Message 7 of 24 , Mar 9, 2007
                  Christine wrote:
                  > My problem, Axel?
                  > Shall I put that off the misverstehen der umgangsprache?

                  Please do, I am but a foreign goon, though trying to use as good English
                  as I can. Your problem is what made you ask a question in the list in
                  the first place. I'm aware that many Americans are into psycho-talk, I'm
                  not, I'm a simple and straightforward engineer, so please do not look
                  for double entendre in anything I say.

                  > (Have I impressed upon you how offensive a question put that way is,
                  > despite the normal value your input has?)

                  Not until a British speaker outside of the social work professions
                  confirms, he or she too sees it that way. Aren't school homework
                  exercises in maths called problems?
                  Vide: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Problem

                  Axel
                • Christine
                  Message 8 of 24 , Mar 9, 2007
                    Dearheart, this ain't math.

                    There are speech habits in any language that carry nuances that one
                    can never know if not native. I do understand that. As a matter of
                    fact, although I learned German 5 years' worth of college in Germany,
                    I learned most from my French boyfriend. Imagine how messy my
                    umgangsprache is.

                    Just like one wouldn't say "quite" to someone English-English, one
                    (to an American) doesn't say,
                    Your problem is..

                    "No problem" instead of "You're welcome"
                    "you're too big" to a woman
                    Anything relating to "Yo mama"
                    Have a nice day after essentially telling someone to screw off.

                    As you can tell, it'll bring up all kinds of things never intended.

                    My problem, if you insist, which brought me to the list, was with
                    my .css file, not with the case (or changing them) of my html.

                    Christine

                    > Christine wrote:
                    > > My problem, Axel?
                    > > Shall I put that off the misverstehen der umgangsprache?
                    >
                    > Please do, I am but a foreign goon, though trying to use as good
                    English
                    > as I can. Your problem is what made you ask a question in the list
                    in
                    > the first place. I'm aware that many Americans are into psycho-
                    talk, I'm
                    > not, I'm a simple and straightforward engineer, so please do not
                    look
                    > for double entendre in anything I say.
                    >
                    > > (Have I impressed upon you how offensive a question put that way
                    is,
                    > > despite the normal value your input has?)
                    >
                    > Not until a British speaker outside of the social work professions
                    > confirms, he or she too sees it that way. Aren't school homework
                    > exercises in maths called problems?
                    > Vide: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Problem
                    >
                    > Axel

                  • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
                    Message 9 of 24 , Mar 9, 2007
                      Folks, this is off topic and should go to private email if you wish to
                      continue it.
                      I have no idea what you are discussing, but it isn't a clip.