Re: [Clip] .css file not being totally read?

  • sisterscape
    Message 1 of 24 , Mar 8, 2007
      It's not necessariliy that they render badly but that tables bloat the
      code and are less accessible than clean markup. When I left tables
      behind, the size of my files dropped by over 50%!

      It's not easy though. It took me over a year to really 'get' how css
      layouts work consistently on all browser/platforms. At times, I
      thought my head would explode!! So be patient.

      --- Christine <christine@...> wrote:

      > Corl,
      > I will. I realize tables render badly on some browsers, but it's all
      >
      > I've known. Or should I say, been able to figure out!
      >
      > I appreciate the referral and will probably be back to ask for
      > testing
      > on other browsers!
      >
      > Christine
      >
      > --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Corl DeLuna" <corl@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi Christine,
      > >
      > > Check out "Site in an Hour," http://leftjustified.net/site-in-an-
      > hour/ it's
      > > the easiest tutorial I know on creating a whole page like this
      > > http://leftjustified.net/site-in-an-hour/site/ with CSS.
      > >
      > > Let us know how it goes!
      > > Corl

      Never miss an email again!
    • Chuck Seward
      Message 2 of 24 , Mar 8, 2007
        I the truest sense of things the table won't display until all elements
        within the table have been rendered. To the point, tables render badly and
        will slow the apparent load of a page, especially if the entire page is in a
        table and/or other tables are utilized inside it for layout.

        Long-winded, but hope it helps steer toward more usage of CSS.

        Message 3 of 24 , Mar 8, 2007

          sisterscape wrote:

          > I'm not Axel but yes. Same goes for font sizing - ems and
          > percentages allow for flexibility.

          Sorry, but you're both wrong, because one can't do both. If you want a
          cell to be right for its content then you need to size it in ems, if you
          want it to conform to the window you have to use percentages. For one,
          and only one, window size, i.e. the one the designer happened to have
          been using herself, will the two measures coincide and the design look
          good.

          N.B: Is there any way to use em in Javascript? I have done my utmost to
          make my site http://berger-odenthal.de conform to whatever window the
          reader chooses but there still is of course a best size. In some places
          I have put two pictures side by side and ideally they should just fit,
          any more and the lines get too long. So for those who unlike me do not
          switch JS off I thought I might offer a "resize window to optimum"
          button, but that optimum should reflect the chosen font size.

          Message 4 of 24 , Mar 8, 2007
            Christine wrote:
            > I admit to having a hard to sticking to one or the other and not
            > the 3rd. Years of law firm tech support, I guess.

            What is your problem? NoteTab has an intrinsic funtion to make all tags
            one case. I have put it into my clipbar right next to the icon
            converting all my umlauts into HTML.
            I still prefer upper case for my HTML, it makes the tags stand out more
            in the source, but changing over to XHTML would be very easy thanks to
            NoteTab.

            Axel
          • sisterscape
            Message 5 of 24 , Mar 8, 2007
              Well, I use percentages for divs and the occasional data table and mix
              ems and percentages for fonts and everything is always fluid and looks
              great at all window sizes.

              --- Axel Berger <Axel-Berger@...> wrote:

              > Sorry, but you're both wrong, because one can't do both. If you want
              > cell to be right for its content then you need to size it in ems, if
              > you
              > want it to conform to the window you have to use percentages.

              Finding fabulous fares is fun.
            • Christine
              Message 6 of 24 , Mar 9, 2007
                <ahem>
                I've never understood the difference between xhtml and html.
                So what I'm hearing is I have to care?
                Why would a language used to facilitate viewing be case sensitive?
                What about all the programs that either choose or give the author the
                choice of using upper/mixed cases? Such as ... NoteTab?

                C.

                --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, sisterscape <sisterscape@...> wrote:

                > xhtml requires lower case. Won't validate with upper case.
                >

                > --- Christine <christine@...> wrote:
                >
                > > Why, Don?
                > > I've always read and understood that upper or lower, just not
                > > sentence
                > > case. I admit to having a hard to sticking to one or the other
                and
                > > not
                > > the 3rd. Years of law firm tech support, I guess.
                > > C.

              • Christine
                Message 7 of 24 , Mar 9, 2007
                  My problem, Axel?
                  Shall I put that off the misverstehen der umgangsprache?
                  I hadn't noticed I had a problem until you have been kind enough to
                  point it out. Ignorance is truly bliss.

                  1st, I don't use a mouse unless hell is freezing over, so having it in
                  your clip bar is your convenience. I have tried to make my HTML upper
                  case after many posts of advice here on these lists.

                  2nd, as in today, I'm hearing I should change everything to lower
                  case;.

                  3rd, at the same time, I will achieve enlightenment only if I
                  immediately un-bloat my files (which load just fine, thank you, using
                  percentages, too), to boxes vs. tables.

                  and 4th, at the moment, I'm dealing with a total site corruption from
                  my web hosts' sale. If I had a problem, that would be it. If it's the
                  worst thing that happens, this YEAR? It's hardly a problem.

                  Having a friend die, a house fire where I lost 4 of my pets, my
                  husband's hospitalization from smoke inhalation, pneumonia, and surgery
                  for separating his shoulder carrying all our pets out of a burning
                  house? Having another friend die? Those, my dear, are problems.

                  So convert away. Evidently YOU don't have a problem.
                  (Have I impressed upon you how offensive a question put that way is,
                  despite the normal value your input has?)

                  Christine

                  Message 8 of 24 , Mar 9, 2007
                    Christine wrote:
                    > My problem, Axel?
                    > Shall I put that off the misverstehen der umgangsprache?

                    Please do, I am but a foreign goon, though trying to use as good English
                    as I can. Your problem is what made you ask a question in the list in
                    the first place. I'm aware that many Americans are into psycho-talk, I'm
                    not, I'm a simple and straightforward engineer, so please do not look
                    for double entendre in anything I say.

                    > (Have I impressed upon you how offensive a question put that way is,
                    > despite the normal value your input has?)

                    Not until a British speaker outside of the social work professions
                    confirms, he or she too sees it that way. Aren't school homework
                    exercises in maths called problems?
                    Vide: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Problem

                    Axel
                  • Christine
                    Message 9 of 24 , Mar 9, 2007
                      Dearheart, this ain't math.

                      There are speech habits in any language that carry nuances that one
                      can never know if not native. I do understand that. As a matter of
                      fact, although I learned German 5 years' worth of college in Germany,
                      I learned most from my French boyfriend. Imagine how messy my
                      umgangsprache is.

                      Just like one wouldn't say "quite" to someone English-English, one
                      (to an American) doesn't say,
                      Your problem is..

                      "No problem" instead of "You're welcome"
                      "you're too big" to a woman
                      Anything relating to "Yo mama"
                      Have a nice day after essentially telling someone to screw off.

                      As you can tell, it'll bring up all kinds of things never intended.

                      My problem, if you insist, which brought me to the list, was with
                      my .css file, not with the case (or changing them) of my html.

                      Christine

                      > Christine wrote:
                      > > My problem, Axel?
                      > > Shall I put that off the misverstehen der umgangsprache?
                      >
                      > Please do, I am but a foreign goon, though trying to use as good
                      English
                      > as I can. Your problem is what made you ask a question in the list
                      in
                      > the first place. I'm aware that many Americans are into psycho-
                      talk, I'm
                      > not, I'm a simple and straightforward engineer, so please do not
                      look
                      > for double entendre in anything I say.
                      >
                      > > (Have I impressed upon you how offensive a question put that way
                      is,
                      > > despite the normal value your input has?)
                      >
                      > Not until a British speaker outside of the social work professions
                      > confirms, he or she too sees it that way. Aren't school homework
                      > exercises in maths called problems?
                      > Vide: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Problem
                      >
                      > Axel

                    • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
                      Message 10 of 24 , Mar 9, 2007
                        Folks, this is off topic and should go to private email if you wish to
                        continue it.
                        I have no idea what you are discussing, but it isn't a clip.