Re: [Clip] .css file not being totally read?

  • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
    Message 1 of 24 , Mar 7, 2007
      Spelling align wrong. I would not use upper case either.

      Christine wrote:
      > Hi all!
      >
      > I'm (naturally) using a .css file for my site.
      > I'm having trouble with two things.
      > The first, is that everthing above and below this entry is being read,
      > but the tables made as below are not:
      >
      > TABLE {cell-padding: 10;
      > margin-left: auto;
      > margin-right: auto;
      > Text-align: Center;
      > vertical-algin: Middle;}
      >
      > Also, if I try to use <TR CLASS="Center"> for example, it doesn't
      > effect the row at all. I must put the alignment into each <TD> entry.
      >
      > Any thoughts on what I'm doing wrong?
    • Christine
      Message 2 of 24 , Mar 8, 2007
        Axel,
        Isn't that why one should use percentages, vs. fixed widths and
        heights?
        Christine

        I hate design structures that
        > only look good or work well when using the window width of the
        > designer's rather than my choice.
        >
        > Axel

      • Christine
        Message 3 of 24 , Mar 8, 2007
          Corl,
          I will. I realize tables render badly on some browsers, but it's all
          I've known. Or should I say, been able to figure out!

          I appreciate the referral and will probably be back to ask for testing
          on other browsers!

          Christine

          --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Corl DeLuna" <corl@...> wrote:

          > Hi Christine,
          >
          > Check out "Site in an Hour," http://leftjustified.net/site-in-an-
          hour/ it's
          > the easiest tutorial I know on creating a whole page like this
          > http://leftjustified.net/site-in-an-hour/site/ with CSS.
          >
          > Let us know how it goes!
          > Corl

        • Christine
          Message 4 of 24 , Mar 8, 2007
            Why, Don?
            I've always read and understood that upper or lower, just not sentence
            case. I admit to having a hard to sticking to one or the other and not
            the 3rd. Years of law firm tech support, I guess.
            C.

            > Spelling align wrong. I would not use upper case either.

            !
          • sisterscape
            Message 5 of 24 , Mar 8, 2007
              I'm not Axel but yes. Same goes for font sizing - ems and percentages
              allow for felxibility.

              --- Christine <christine@...> wrote:

              > Axel,
              > Isn't that why one should use percentages, vs. fixed widths and
              > heights?
              > Christine
              >
              > --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Axel Berger <Axel-Berger@...>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > I hate design structures that
              > > only look good or work well when using the window width of the
              > > designer's rather than my choice.
              > >
              > > Axel

              It's here! Your new message!
            • sisterscape
              Message 6 of 24 , Mar 8, 2007
                It's not necessariliy that they render badly but that tables bloat the
                code and are less accessible than clean markup. When I left tables
                behind, the size of my files dropped by over 50%!

                It's not easy though. It took me over a year to really 'get' how css
                layouts work consistently on all browser/platforms. At times, I
                thought my head would explode!! So be patient.

                --- Christine <christine@...> wrote:

                > Corl,
                > I will. I realize tables render badly on some browsers, but it's all
                >
                > I've known. Or should I say, been able to figure out!
                >
                > I appreciate the referral and will probably be back to ask for
                > testing
                > on other browsers!
                >
                > Christine
                >
                > --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Corl DeLuna" <corl@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > Hi Christine,
                > >
                > > Check out "Site in an Hour," http://leftjustified.net/site-in-an-
                > hour/ it's
                > > the easiest tutorial I know on creating a whole page like this
                > > http://leftjustified.net/site-in-an-hour/site/ with CSS.
                > >
                > > Let us know how it goes!
                > > Corl

                Never miss an email again!
              • sisterscape
                Message 7 of 24 , Mar 8, 2007
                  xhtml requires lower case. Won't validate with upper case.

                  --- Christine <christine@...> wrote:

                  > Why, Don?
                  > I've always read and understood that upper or lower, just not
                  > sentence
                  > case. I admit to having a hard to sticking to one or the other and
                  > not
                  > the 3rd. Years of law firm tech support, I guess.
                  > C.
                  >

                  > --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" <don@...>
                  > wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Spelling align wrong. I would not use upper case either.
                  > >
                  > !

                  Be a PS3 game guru.
                • Chuck Seward
                  Message 8 of 24 , Mar 8, 2007
                    I the truest sense of things the table won't display until all elements
                    within the table have been rendered. To the point, tables render badly and
                    will slow the apparent load of a page, especially if the entire page is in a
                    table and/or other tables are utilized inside it for layout.

                    Long-winded, but hope it helps steer toward more usage of CSS.

                    Message 9 of 24 , Mar 8, 2007

                      sisterscape wrote:

                      > I'm not Axel but yes. Same goes for font sizing - ems and
                      > percentages allow for flexibility.

                      Sorry, but you're both wrong, because one can't do both. If you want a
                      cell to be right for its content then you need to size it in ems, if you
                      want it to conform to the window you have to use percentages. For one,
                      and only one, window size, i.e. the one the designer happened to have
                      been using herself, will the two measures coincide and the design look
                      good.

                      N.B: Is there any way to use em in Javascript? I have done my utmost to
                      make my site http://berger-odenthal.de conform to whatever window the
                      reader chooses but there still is of course a best size. In some places
                      I have put two pictures side by side and ideally they should just fit,
                      any more and the lines get too long. So for those who unlike me do not
                      switch JS off I thought I might offer a "resize window to optimum"
                      button, but that optimum should reflect the chosen font size.

                      Message 10 of 24 , Mar 8, 2007
                        Christine wrote:
                        > I admit to having a hard to sticking to one or the other and not
                        > the 3rd. Years of law firm tech support, I guess.

                        What is your problem? NoteTab has an intrinsic funtion to make all tags
                        one case. I have put it into my clipbar right next to the icon
                        converting all my umlauts into HTML.
                        I still prefer upper case for my HTML, it makes the tags stand out more
                        in the source, but changing over to XHTML would be very easy thanks to
                        NoteTab.

                        Axel
                      • sisterscape
                        Message 11 of 24 , Mar 8, 2007
                          Well, I use percentages for divs and the occasional data table and mix
                          ems and percentages for fonts and everything is always fluid and looks
                          great at all window sizes.

                          --- Axel Berger <Axel-Berger@...> wrote:

                          > Sorry, but you're both wrong, because one can't do both. If you want
                          > cell to be right for its content then you need to size it in ems, if
                          > you
                          > want it to conform to the window you have to use percentages.

                          Finding fabulous fares is fun.
                        • Christine
                          Message 12 of 24 , Mar 9, 2007
                            <ahem>
                            I've never understood the difference between xhtml and html.
                            So what I'm hearing is I have to care?
                            Why would a language used to facilitate viewing be case sensitive?
                            What about all the programs that either choose or give the author the
                            choice of using upper/mixed cases? Such as ... NoteTab?

                            C.

                            --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, sisterscape <sisterscape@...> wrote:

                            > xhtml requires lower case. Won't validate with upper case.
                            >

                            > --- Christine <christine@...> wrote:
                            >
                            > > Why, Don?
                            > > I've always read and understood that upper or lower, just not
                            > > sentence
                            > > case. I admit to having a hard to sticking to one or the other
                            and
                            > > not
                            > > the 3rd. Years of law firm tech support, I guess.
                            > > C.

                          • Christine
                            Message 13 of 24 , Mar 9, 2007
                              My problem, Axel?
                              Shall I put that off the misverstehen der umgangsprache?
                              I hadn't noticed I had a problem until you have been kind enough to
                              point it out. Ignorance is truly bliss.

                              1st, I don't use a mouse unless hell is freezing over, so having it in
                              your clip bar is your convenience. I have tried to make my HTML upper
                              case after many posts of advice here on these lists.

                              2nd, as in today, I'm hearing I should change everything to lower
                              case;.

                              3rd, at the same time, I will achieve enlightenment only if I
                              immediately un-bloat my files (which load just fine, thank you, using
                              percentages, too), to boxes vs. tables.

                              and 4th, at the moment, I'm dealing with a total site corruption from
                              my web hosts' sale. If I had a problem, that would be it. If it's the
                              worst thing that happens, this YEAR? It's hardly a problem.

                              Having a friend die, a house fire where I lost 4 of my pets, my
                              husband's hospitalization from smoke inhalation, pneumonia, and surgery
                              for separating his shoulder carrying all our pets out of a burning
                              house? Having another friend die? Those, my dear, are problems.

                              So convert away. Evidently YOU don't have a problem.
                              (Have I impressed upon you how offensive a question put that way is,
                              despite the normal value your input has?)

                              Christine

                              Message 14 of 24 , Mar 9, 2007
                                Christine wrote:
                                > My problem, Axel?
                                > Shall I put that off the misverstehen der umgangsprache?

                                Please do, I am but a foreign goon, though trying to use as good English
                                as I can. Your problem is what made you ask a question in the list in
                                the first place. I'm aware that many Americans are into psycho-talk, I'm
                                not, I'm a simple and straightforward engineer, so please do not look
                                for double entendre in anything I say.

                                > (Have I impressed upon you how offensive a question put that way is,
                                > despite the normal value your input has?)

                                Not until a British speaker outside of the social work professions
                                confirms, he or she too sees it that way. Aren't school homework
                                exercises in maths called problems?
                                Vide: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Problem

                                Axel
                              • Christine
                                Message 15 of 24 , Mar 9, 2007
                                  Dearheart, this ain't math.

                                  There are speech habits in any language that carry nuances that one
                                  can never know if not native. I do understand that. As a matter of
                                  fact, although I learned German 5 years' worth of college in Germany,
                                  I learned most from my French boyfriend. Imagine how messy my
                                  umgangsprache is.

                                  Just like one wouldn't say "quite" to someone English-English, one
                                  (to an American) doesn't say,
                                  Your problem is..

                                  "No problem" instead of "You're welcome"
                                  "you're too big" to a woman
                                  Anything relating to "Yo mama"
                                  Have a nice day after essentially telling someone to screw off.

                                  As you can tell, it'll bring up all kinds of things never intended.

                                  My problem, if you insist, which brought me to the list, was with
                                  my .css file, not with the case (or changing them) of my html.

                                  Christine

                                  > Christine wrote:
                                  > > My problem, Axel?
                                  > > Shall I put that off the misverstehen der umgangsprache?
                                  >
                                  > Please do, I am but a foreign goon, though trying to use as good
                                  English
                                  > as I can. Your problem is what made you ask a question in the list
                                  in
                                  > the first place. I'm aware that many Americans are into psycho-
                                  talk, I'm
                                  > not, I'm a simple and straightforward engineer, so please do not
                                  look
                                  > for double entendre in anything I say.
                                  >
                                  > > (Have I impressed upon you how offensive a question put that way
                                  is,
                                  > > despite the normal value your input has?)
                                  >
                                  > Not until a British speaker outside of the social work professions
                                  > confirms, he or she too sees it that way. Aren't school homework
                                  > exercises in maths called problems?
                                  > Vide: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Problem
                                  >
                                  > Axel

                                • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Mar 9, 2007
                                    Folks, this is off topic and should go to private email if you wish to
                                    continue it.
                                    I have no idea what you are discussing, but it isn't a clip.