RE: [Clip] .css file not being totally read?

  • Corl DeLuna
    Message 1 of 24 , Mar 7, 2007
      Hi Christine,

      Check out "Site in an Hour," http://leftjustified.net/site-in-an-hour/ it's
      the easiest tutorial I know on creating a whole page like this
      http://leftjustified.net/site-in-an-hour/site/ with CSS.

      Let us know how it goes!
      Corl

      ________________________________

      Message 2 of 24 , Mar 7, 2007
        Sheri,
        Thanks for that file checking thing.
        I was able to sift through a bunch of hoo-ha and correct my letter-
        flipping problem on a lot of things.

        The Table and TD elements, <P> and a couple others now work, where they
        didn't before. Cool.

        Thanks!
        Christine
      • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
        Message 3 of 24 , Mar 7, 2007
          Spelling align wrong. I would not use upper case either.

          Christine wrote:
          > Hi all!
          >
          > I'm (naturally) using a .css file for my site.
          > I'm having trouble with two things.
          > The first, is that everthing above and below this entry is being read,
          > but the tables made as below are not:
          >
          > TABLE {cell-padding: 10;
          > margin-left: auto;
          > margin-right: auto;
          > Text-align: Center;
          > vertical-algin: Middle;}
          >
          > Also, if I try to use <TR CLASS="Center"> for example, it doesn't
          > effect the row at all. I must put the alignment into each <TD> entry.
          >
          > Any thoughts on what I'm doing wrong?
        • Christine
          Message 4 of 24 , Mar 8, 2007
            Axel,
            Isn't that why one should use percentages, vs. fixed widths and
            heights?
            Christine

            I hate design structures that
            > only look good or work well when using the window width of the
            > designer's rather than my choice.
            >
            > Axel

          • Christine
            Message 5 of 24 , Mar 8, 2007
              Corl,
              I will. I realize tables render badly on some browsers, but it's all
              I've known. Or should I say, been able to figure out!

              I appreciate the referral and will probably be back to ask for testing
              on other browsers!

              Christine

              --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Corl DeLuna" <corl@...> wrote:

              > Hi Christine,
              >
              > Check out "Site in an Hour," http://leftjustified.net/site-in-an-
              hour/ it's
              > the easiest tutorial I know on creating a whole page like this
              > http://leftjustified.net/site-in-an-hour/site/ with CSS.
              >
              > Let us know how it goes!
              > Corl

            • Christine
              Message 6 of 24 , Mar 8, 2007
                Why, Don?
                I've always read and understood that upper or lower, just not sentence
                case. I admit to having a hard to sticking to one or the other and not
                the 3rd. Years of law firm tech support, I guess.
                C.

                > Spelling align wrong. I would not use upper case either.

                !
              • sisterscape
                Message 7 of 24 , Mar 8, 2007
                  I'm not Axel but yes. Same goes for font sizing - ems and percentages
                  allow for felxibility.

                  --- Christine <christine@...> wrote:

                  > Axel,
                  > Isn't that why one should use percentages, vs. fixed widths and
                  > heights?
                  > Christine
                  >
                  > --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Axel Berger <Axel-Berger@...>
                  > wrote:
                  > >
                  > I hate design structures that
                  > > only look good or work well when using the window width of the
                  > > designer's rather than my choice.
                  > >
                  > > Axel

                  It's here! Your new message!
                • sisterscape
                  Message 8 of 24 , Mar 8, 2007
                    It's not necessariliy that they render badly but that tables bloat the
                    code and are less accessible than clean markup. When I left tables
                    behind, the size of my files dropped by over 50%!

                    It's not easy though. It took me over a year to really 'get' how css
                    layouts work consistently on all browser/platforms. At times, I
                    thought my head would explode!! So be patient.

                    --- Christine <christine@...> wrote:

                    > Corl,
                    > I will. I realize tables render badly on some browsers, but it's all
                    >
                    > I've known. Or should I say, been able to figure out!
                    >
                    > I appreciate the referral and will probably be back to ask for
                    > testing
                    > on other browsers!
                    >
                    > Christine
                    >
                    > --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Corl DeLuna" <corl@...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Hi Christine,
                    > >
                    > > Check out "Site in an Hour," http://leftjustified.net/site-in-an-
                    > hour/ it's
                    > > the easiest tutorial I know on creating a whole page like this
                    > > http://leftjustified.net/site-in-an-hour/site/ with CSS.
                    > >
                    > > Let us know how it goes!
                    > > Corl

                    Never miss an email again!
                  • sisterscape
                    Message 9 of 24 , Mar 8, 2007
                      xhtml requires lower case. Won't validate with upper case.

                      --- Christine <christine@...> wrote:

                      > Why, Don?
                      > I've always read and understood that upper or lower, just not
                      > sentence
                      > case. I admit to having a hard to sticking to one or the other and
                      > not
                      > the 3rd. Years of law firm tech support, I guess.
                      > C.
                      >

                      > --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" <don@...>
                      > wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Spelling align wrong. I would not use upper case either.
                      > >
                      > !

                      Be a PS3 game guru.
                    • Chuck Seward
                      Message 10 of 24 , Mar 8, 2007
                        I the truest sense of things the table won't display until all elements
                        within the table have been rendered. To the point, tables render badly and
                        will slow the apparent load of a page, especially if the entire page is in a
                        table and/or other tables are utilized inside it for layout.

                        Long-winded, but hope it helps steer toward more usage of CSS.

                        Message 11 of 24 , Mar 8, 2007

                          sisterscape wrote:

                          > I'm not Axel but yes. Same goes for font sizing - ems and
                          > percentages allow for flexibility.

                          Sorry, but you're both wrong, because one can't do both. If you want a
                          cell to be right for its content then you need to size it in ems, if you
                          want it to conform to the window you have to use percentages. For one,
                          and only one, window size, i.e. the one the designer happened to have
                          been using herself, will the two measures coincide and the design look
                          good.

                          N.B: Is there any way to use em in Javascript? I have done my utmost to
                          make my site http://berger-odenthal.de conform to whatever window the
                          reader chooses but there still is of course a best size. In some places
                          I have put two pictures side by side and ideally they should just fit,
                          any more and the lines get too long. So for those who unlike me do not
                          switch JS off I thought I might offer a "resize window to optimum"
                          button, but that optimum should reflect the chosen font size.

                          Message 12 of 24 , Mar 8, 2007
                            Christine wrote:
                            > I admit to having a hard to sticking to one or the other and not
                            > the 3rd. Years of law firm tech support, I guess.

                            What is your problem? NoteTab has an intrinsic funtion to make all tags
                            one case. I have put it into my clipbar right next to the icon
                            converting all my umlauts into HTML.
                            I still prefer upper case for my HTML, it makes the tags stand out more
                            in the source, but changing over to XHTML would be very easy thanks to
                            NoteTab.

                            Axel
                          • sisterscape
                            Message 13 of 24 , Mar 8, 2007
                              Well, I use percentages for divs and the occasional data table and mix
                              ems and percentages for fonts and everything is always fluid and looks
                              great at all window sizes.

                              --- Axel Berger <Axel-Berger@...> wrote:

                              > Sorry, but you're both wrong, because one can't do both. If you want
                              > cell to be right for its content then you need to size it in ems, if
                              > you
                              > want it to conform to the window you have to use percentages.

                              Finding fabulous fares is fun.
                            • Christine
                              Message 14 of 24 , Mar 9, 2007
                                <ahem>
                                I've never understood the difference between xhtml and html.
                                So what I'm hearing is I have to care?
                                Why would a language used to facilitate viewing be case sensitive?
                                What about all the programs that either choose or give the author the
                                choice of using upper/mixed cases? Such as ... NoteTab?

                                C.

                                --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, sisterscape <sisterscape@...> wrote:

                                > xhtml requires lower case. Won't validate with upper case.
                                >

                                > --- Christine <christine@...> wrote:
                                >
                                > > Why, Don?
                                > > I've always read and understood that upper or lower, just not
                                > > sentence
                                > > case. I admit to having a hard to sticking to one or the other
                                and
                                > > not
                                > > the 3rd. Years of law firm tech support, I guess.
                                > > C.

                              • Christine
                                Message 15 of 24 , Mar 9, 2007
                                  My problem, Axel?
                                  Shall I put that off the misverstehen der umgangsprache?
                                  I hadn't noticed I had a problem until you have been kind enough to
                                  point it out. Ignorance is truly bliss.

                                  1st, I don't use a mouse unless hell is freezing over, so having it in
                                  your clip bar is your convenience. I have tried to make my HTML upper
                                  case after many posts of advice here on these lists.

                                  2nd, as in today, I'm hearing I should change everything to lower
                                  case;.

                                  3rd, at the same time, I will achieve enlightenment only if I
                                  immediately un-bloat my files (which load just fine, thank you, using
                                  percentages, too), to boxes vs. tables.

                                  and 4th, at the moment, I'm dealing with a total site corruption from
                                  my web hosts' sale. If I had a problem, that would be it. If it's the
                                  worst thing that happens, this YEAR? It's hardly a problem.

                                  Having a friend die, a house fire where I lost 4 of my pets, my
                                  husband's hospitalization from smoke inhalation, pneumonia, and surgery
                                  for separating his shoulder carrying all our pets out of a burning
                                  house? Having another friend die? Those, my dear, are problems.

                                  So convert away. Evidently YOU don't have a problem.
                                  (Have I impressed upon you how offensive a question put that way is,
                                  despite the normal value your input has?)

                                  Christine

                                  Message 16 of 24 , Mar 9, 2007
                                    Christine wrote:
                                    > My problem, Axel?
                                    > Shall I put that off the misverstehen der umgangsprache?

                                    Please do, I am but a foreign goon, though trying to use as good English
                                    as I can. Your problem is what made you ask a question in the list in
                                    the first place. I'm aware that many Americans are into psycho-talk, I'm
                                    not, I'm a simple and straightforward engineer, so please do not look
                                    for double entendre in anything I say.

                                    > (Have I impressed upon you how offensive a question put that way is,
                                    > despite the normal value your input has?)

                                    Not until a British speaker outside of the social work professions
                                    confirms, he or she too sees it that way. Aren't school homework
                                    exercises in maths called problems?
                                    Vide: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Problem

                                    Axel
                                  • Christine
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Mar 9, 2007
                                      Dearheart, this ain't math.

                                      There are speech habits in any language that carry nuances that one
                                      can never know if not native. I do understand that. As a matter of
                                      fact, although I learned German 5 years' worth of college in Germany,
                                      I learned most from my French boyfriend. Imagine how messy my
                                      umgangsprache is.

                                      Just like one wouldn't say "quite" to someone English-English, one
                                      (to an American) doesn't say,
                                      Your problem is..

                                      "No problem" instead of "You're welcome"
                                      "you're too big" to a woman
                                      Anything relating to "Yo mama"
                                      Have a nice day after essentially telling someone to screw off.

                                      As you can tell, it'll bring up all kinds of things never intended.

                                      My problem, if you insist, which brought me to the list, was with
                                      my .css file, not with the case (or changing them) of my html.

                                      Christine

                                      > Christine wrote:
                                      > > My problem, Axel?
                                      > > Shall I put that off the misverstehen der umgangsprache?
                                      >
                                      > Please do, I am but a foreign goon, though trying to use as good
                                      English
                                      > as I can. Your problem is what made you ask a question in the list
                                      in
                                      > the first place. I'm aware that many Americans are into psycho-
                                      talk, I'm
                                      > not, I'm a simple and straightforward engineer, so please do not
                                      look
                                      > for double entendre in anything I say.
                                      >
                                      > > (Have I impressed upon you how offensive a question put that way
                                      is,
                                      > > despite the normal value your input has?)
                                      >
                                      > Not until a British speaker outside of the social work professions
                                      > confirms, he or she too sees it that way. Aren't school homework
                                      > exercises in maths called problems?
                                      > Vide: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Problem
                                      >
                                      > Axel

                                    • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Mar 9, 2007
                                        Folks, this is off topic and should go to private email if you wish to
                                        continue it.
                                        I have no idea what you are discussing, but it isn't a clip.