.css file not being totally read?

  • Christine
    Message 1 of 24 , Mar 7, 2007
      Hi all!

      I'm (naturally) using a .css file for my site.
      I'm having trouble with two things.
      The first, is that everthing above and below this entry is being read,
      but the tables made as below are not:

      TABLE {cell-padding: 10;
      margin-left: auto;
      margin-right: auto;
      Text-align: Center;
      vertical-algin: Middle;}

      Also, if I try to use <TR CLASS="Center"> for example, it doesn't
      effect the row at all. I must put the alignment into each <TD> entry.

      Any thoughts on what I'm doing wrong?

      Thanks,
      Christine
    • loro
      Message 2 of 24 , Mar 7, 2007
        Christine wrote:
        >The first, is that everthing above and below this entry is being read,
        >but the tables made as below are not:
        >
        >TABLE {cell-padding: 10;
        > margin-left: auto;
        > margin-right: auto;
        > Text-align: Center;
        > vertical-algin: Middle;}

        http://snipurl.com/1cbo6

        <http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/validator?text=TABLE+%09%7Bcell-padding%3A+10%3B%0D%0A%09margin-left%3A+auto%3B%0D%0A+++%09margin-right%3A+auto%3B%0D%0A%09Text-align%3A+Center%3B%0D%0A%09vertical-algin%3A+Middle%3B%7D&usermedium=all&warning=1&profile=css21&usermedium=all>

        One is obviously a typo. The other, cell-padding, isn't CSS. Without the
        hyphen it would be a HTML attribute. You are looking for 'padding' and you
        probably don't want to apply it to TABLE but to TD. It isn't as with HTML
        when you set a lot of properties in the table tag and it affects all the cells.

        Lotta
      • Corl DeLuna
        Message 3 of 24 , Mar 7, 2007
          Hi Christine, You might post this question to the NoteTab HTML group as well
          http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/ntb-html/

          Best,
          Corl

          _____

          Message 4 of 24 , Mar 7, 2007
            cell-padding: 10
            10 WHAT??

            spelling police:
            vertical-algin [align]

            I'm wondering if text-align can be used for tables. And yes, you
            probably want to style the td also.

            Why are you using tables at all? Hopefully for data and NOT for
            layout. Tisk, tisk. . .

            sisterscape

            --- Christine <christine@...> wrote:

            > Hi all!
            >
            > I'm (naturally) using a .css file for my site.
            > I'm having trouble with two things.
            > The first, is that everthing above and below this entry is being
            > read,
            > but the tables made as below are not:
            >
            > TABLE {cell-padding: 10;
            > margin-left: auto;
            > margin-right: auto;
            > Text-align: Center;
            > vertical-algin: Middle;}
            >
            > Also, if I try to use <TR CLASS="Center"> for example, it doesn't
            > effect the row at all. I must put the alignment into each <TD>
            > entry.
            >
            > Any thoughts on what I'm doing wrong?
            >
            > Thanks,
            > Christine

          • Christine
            Message 5 of 24 , Mar 7, 2007
              Yup. I'm using them for layout because the entire description of
              boxes confounds me. If you can make them make sense? Enlighten me.
              I'm listening!

              I thought I'd read the cell-padding thing on one of the CSS sites.
              Evidently I'm wrong. So I removed it.

              Thanks for telling me WHAT the typo was, because my eyes don't see
              it, nor many other letter flips. I fixed it, although vertical
              alignment isn't huge in this instance.

              When I change the <TD> info frequently, does it make sense to set it
              in stone in the .css file?

              Thanks,
              C.

              Message 6 of 24 , Mar 7, 2007
                sisterscape wrote:
                > I'm wondering if text-align can be used for tables.

                Yes it can. Take a look at
                http://home.arcor.de/axelberger/Bilder/Is-05/D17/index.html

                Firefox makes a hash of it, but all others do fine. What it does is
                treat all those little tables of image plus caption just like words and
                break them cleanly to your window width. I hate design structures that
                only look good or work well when using the window width of the
                designer's rather than my choice.

                Axel
              • Corl DeLuna
                Message 7 of 24 , Mar 7, 2007
                  Hi Christine,

                  Check out "Site in an Hour," http://leftjustified.net/site-in-an-hour/ it's
                  the easiest tutorial I know on creating a whole page like this
                  http://leftjustified.net/site-in-an-hour/site/ with CSS.

                  Let us know how it goes!
                  Corl

                  ________________________________

                  Message 8 of 24 , Mar 7, 2007
                    Sheri,
                    Thanks for that file checking thing.
                    I was able to sift through a bunch of hoo-ha and correct my letter-
                    flipping problem on a lot of things.

                    The Table and TD elements, <P> and a couple others now work, where they
                    didn't before. Cool.

                    Thanks!
                    Christine
                  • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
                    Message 9 of 24 , Mar 7, 2007
                      Spelling align wrong. I would not use upper case either.

                      Message 10 of 24 , Mar 8, 2007
                        Axel,
                        Isn't that why one should use percentages, vs. fixed widths and
                        heights?
                        Christine

                        I hate design structures that
                        > only look good or work well when using the window width of the
                        > designer's rather than my choice.
                        >
                        > Axel

                      • Christine
                        Message 11 of 24 , Mar 8, 2007
                          Corl,
                          I will. I realize tables render badly on some browsers, but it's all
                          I've known. Or should I say, been able to figure out!

                          I appreciate the referral and will probably be back to ask for testing
                          on other browsers!

                          Christine

                          --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Corl DeLuna" <corl@...> wrote:

                          > Hi Christine,
                          >
                          > Check out "Site in an Hour," http://leftjustified.net/site-in-an-
                          hour/ it's
                          > the easiest tutorial I know on creating a whole page like this
                          > http://leftjustified.net/site-in-an-hour/site/ with CSS.
                          >
                          > Let us know how it goes!
                          > Corl

                        • Christine
                          Message 12 of 24 , Mar 8, 2007
                            Why, Don?
                            I've always read and understood that upper or lower, just not sentence
                            case. I admit to having a hard to sticking to one or the other and not
                            the 3rd. Years of law firm tech support, I guess.
                            C.

                            > Spelling align wrong. I would not use upper case either.

                            !
                          • sisterscape
                            Message 13 of 24 , Mar 8, 2007
                              I'm not Axel but yes. Same goes for font sizing - ems and percentages
                              allow for felxibility.

                              --- Christine <christine@...> wrote:

                              > Axel,
                              > Isn't that why one should use percentages, vs. fixed widths and
                              > heights?
                              > Christine
                              >
                              > --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Axel Berger <Axel-Berger@...>
                              > wrote:
                              > >
                              > I hate design structures that
                              > > only look good or work well when using the window width of the
                              > > designer's rather than my choice.
                              > >
                              > > Axel

                              It's here! Your new message!
                            • sisterscape
                              Message 14 of 24 , Mar 8, 2007
                                It's not necessariliy that they render badly but that tables bloat the
                                code and are less accessible than clean markup. When I left tables
                                behind, the size of my files dropped by over 50%!

                                It's not easy though. It took me over a year to really 'get' how css
                                layouts work consistently on all browser/platforms. At times, I
                                thought my head would explode!! So be patient.

                                --- Christine <christine@...> wrote:

                                > Corl,
                                > I will. I realize tables render badly on some browsers, but it's all
                                >
                                > I've known. Or should I say, been able to figure out!
                                >
                                > I appreciate the referral and will probably be back to ask for
                                > testing
                                > on other browsers!
                                >
                                > Christine
                                >
                                > --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Corl DeLuna" <corl@...> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > Hi Christine,
                                > >
                                > > Check out "Site in an Hour," http://leftjustified.net/site-in-an-
                                > hour/ it's
                                > > the easiest tutorial I know on creating a whole page like this
                                > > http://leftjustified.net/site-in-an-hour/site/ with CSS.
                                > >
                                > > Let us know how it goes!
                                > > Corl

                                Never miss an email again!
                              • sisterscape
                                Message 15 of 24 , Mar 8, 2007
                                  xhtml requires lower case. Won't validate with upper case.

                                  --- Christine <christine@...> wrote:

                                  > Why, Don?
                                  > I've always read and understood that upper or lower, just not
                                  > sentence
                                  > case. I admit to having a hard to sticking to one or the other and
                                  > not
                                  > the 3rd. Years of law firm tech support, I guess.
                                  > C.
                                  >

                                  > --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" <don@...>
                                  > wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > Spelling align wrong. I would not use upper case either.
                                  > >
                                  > !

                                  Be a PS3 game guru.
                                • Chuck Seward
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Mar 8, 2007
                                    I the truest sense of things the table won't display until all elements
                                    within the table have been rendered. To the point, tables render badly and
                                    will slow the apparent load of a page, especially if the entire page is in a
                                    table and/or other tables are utilized inside it for layout.

                                    Long-winded, but hope it helps steer toward more usage of CSS.

                                    Message 17 of 24 , Mar 8, 2007

                                      sisterscape wrote:

                                      > I'm not Axel but yes. Same goes for font sizing - ems and
                                      > percentages allow for flexibility.

                                      Sorry, but you're both wrong, because one can't do both. If you want a
                                      cell to be right for its content then you need to size it in ems, if you
                                      want it to conform to the window you have to use percentages. For one,
                                      and only one, window size, i.e. the one the designer happened to have
                                      been using herself, will the two measures coincide and the design look
                                      good.

                                      N.B: Is there any way to use em in Javascript? I have done my utmost to
                                      make my site http://berger-odenthal.de conform to whatever window the
                                      reader chooses but there still is of course a best size. In some places
                                      I have put two pictures side by side and ideally they should just fit,
                                      any more and the lines get too long. So for those who unlike me do not
                                      switch JS off I thought I might offer a "resize window to optimum"
                                      button, but that optimum should reflect the chosen font size.

                                      Message 18 of 24 , Mar 8, 2007
                                        Christine wrote:
                                        > I admit to having a hard to sticking to one or the other and not
                                        > the 3rd. Years of law firm tech support, I guess.

                                        What is your problem? NoteTab has an intrinsic funtion to make all tags
                                        one case. I have put it into my clipbar right next to the icon
                                        converting all my umlauts into HTML.
                                        I still prefer upper case for my HTML, it makes the tags stand out more
                                        in the source, but changing over to XHTML would be very easy thanks to
                                        NoteTab.

                                        Axel
                                      • sisterscape
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Mar 8, 2007
                                          Well, I use percentages for divs and the occasional data table and mix
                                          ems and percentages for fonts and everything is always fluid and looks
                                          great at all window sizes.

                                          --- Axel Berger <Axel-Berger@...> wrote:

                                          > Sorry, but you're both wrong, because one can't do both. If you want
                                          > cell to be right for its content then you need to size it in ems, if
                                          > you
                                          > want it to conform to the window you have to use percentages.

                                          Finding fabulous fares is fun.
                                        • Christine
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Mar 9, 2007
                                            <ahem>
                                            I've never understood the difference between xhtml and html.
                                            So what I'm hearing is I have to care?
                                            Why would a language used to facilitate viewing be case sensitive?
                                            What about all the programs that either choose or give the author the
                                            choice of using upper/mixed cases? Such as ... NoteTab?

                                            C.

                                            --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, sisterscape <sisterscape@...> wrote:

                                            > xhtml requires lower case. Won't validate with upper case.
                                            >

                                            > --- Christine <christine@...> wrote:
                                            >
                                            > > Why, Don?
                                            > > I've always read and understood that upper or lower, just not
                                            > > sentence
                                            > > case. I admit to having a hard to sticking to one or the other
                                            and
                                            > > not
                                            > > the 3rd. Years of law firm tech support, I guess.
                                            > > C.

                                          • Christine
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Mar 9, 2007
                                              My problem, Axel?
                                              Shall I put that off the misverstehen der umgangsprache?
                                              I hadn't noticed I had a problem until you have been kind enough to
                                              point it out. Ignorance is truly bliss.

                                              1st, I don't use a mouse unless hell is freezing over, so having it in
                                              your clip bar is your convenience. I have tried to make my HTML upper
                                              case after many posts of advice here on these lists.

                                              2nd, as in today, I'm hearing I should change everything to lower
                                              case;.

                                              3rd, at the same time, I will achieve enlightenment only if I
                                              immediately un-bloat my files (which load just fine, thank you, using
                                              percentages, too), to boxes vs. tables.

                                              and 4th, at the moment, I'm dealing with a total site corruption from
                                              my web hosts' sale. If I had a problem, that would be it. If it's the
                                              worst thing that happens, this YEAR? It's hardly a problem.

                                              Having a friend die, a house fire where I lost 4 of my pets, my
                                              husband's hospitalization from smoke inhalation, pneumonia, and surgery
                                              for separating his shoulder carrying all our pets out of a burning
                                              house? Having another friend die? Those, my dear, are problems.

                                              So convert away. Evidently YOU don't have a problem.
                                              (Have I impressed upon you how offensive a question put that way is,
                                              despite the normal value your input has?)

                                              Christine

                                              Message 22 of 24 , Mar 9, 2007
                                                Christine wrote:
                                                > My problem, Axel?
                                                > Shall I put that off the misverstehen der umgangsprache?

                                                Please do, I am but a foreign goon, though trying to use as good English
                                                as I can. Your problem is what made you ask a question in the list in
                                                the first place. I'm aware that many Americans are into psycho-talk, I'm
                                                not, I'm a simple and straightforward engineer, so please do not look
                                                for double entendre in anything I say.

                                                > (Have I impressed upon you how offensive a question put that way is,
                                                > despite the normal value your input has?)

                                                Not until a British speaker outside of the social work professions
                                                confirms, he or she too sees it that way. Aren't school homework
                                                exercises in maths called problems?
                                                Vide: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Problem

                                                Axel
                                              • Christine
                                                Message 23 of 24 , Mar 9, 2007
                                                  Dearheart, this ain't math.

                                                  There are speech habits in any language that carry nuances that one
                                                  can never know if not native. I do understand that. As a matter of
                                                  fact, although I learned German 5 years' worth of college in Germany,
                                                  I learned most from my French boyfriend. Imagine how messy my
                                                  umgangsprache is.

                                                  Just like one wouldn't say "quite" to someone English-English, one
                                                  (to an American) doesn't say,
                                                  Your problem is..

                                                  "No problem" instead of "You're welcome"
                                                  "you're too big" to a woman
                                                  Anything relating to "Yo mama"
                                                  Have a nice day after essentially telling someone to screw off.

                                                  As you can tell, it'll bring up all kinds of things never intended.

                                                  My problem, if you insist, which brought me to the list, was with
                                                  my .css file, not with the case (or changing them) of my html.

                                                  Christine

                                                  > Christine wrote:
                                                  > > My problem, Axel?
                                                  > > Shall I put that off the misverstehen der umgangsprache?
                                                  >
                                                  > Please do, I am but a foreign goon, though trying to use as good
                                                  English
                                                  > as I can. Your problem is what made you ask a question in the list
                                                  in
                                                  > the first place. I'm aware that many Americans are into psycho-
                                                  talk, I'm
                                                  > not, I'm a simple and straightforward engineer, so please do not
                                                  look
                                                  > for double entendre in anything I say.
                                                  >
                                                  > > (Have I impressed upon you how offensive a question put that way
                                                  is,
                                                  > > despite the normal value your input has?)
                                                  >
                                                  > Not until a British speaker outside of the social work professions
                                                  > confirms, he or she too sees it that way. Aren't school homework
                                                  > exercises in maths called problems?
                                                  > Vide: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Problem
                                                  >
                                                  > Axel

                                                • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
                                                  Message 24 of 24 , Mar 9, 2007
                                                    Folks, this is off topic and should go to private email if you wish to
                                                    continue it.
                                                    I have no idea what you are discussing, but it isn't a clip.