Re: help needed with If

    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 2, 2007
      Sheri's answer really never turned up in my mailbox. This is what I
      found through the web interface:

      > Try it as:
      > ^!If "^%varOben%"="Ja" Oben
      > or
      > ^!IfSame "^%varOben%" "Ja" Oben
      > You can usually infer such problems
      > if you single step your clips using
      > ^!Setdebug on
      > at the top.
      > Regards,
      > Sheri

      The ^!If itself was in fact fine with and without restating it. But
      debug turned out a great help. Thanks Sheri, I didn't know about that
      one.

      What in fact happens and is as far as I could find not mentioned
      anywhere in the help is:
      My
      ^!InsertHtml <P ALIGN="center">^P
      not only writes the tag but immediately selects it as a block so the
      instruction with ^& thus:
      ^!InsertHtml <P ALIGN="center">^P^&

      So best make it a firm rule always to use ^!InsertHtml with ^& included.
      I shall.

      Danke
      Axel
    • Sheri
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 3, 2007
        Axel Berger wrote:
        > The ^!If itself was in fact fine with and without restating it. But
        > debug turned out a great help. Thanks Sheri, I didn't know about that
        > one.
        >
        > What in fact happens and is as far as I could find not mentioned
        > anywhere in the help is:
        > My
        > ^!InsertHtml <P ALIGN="center">^P
        > not only writes the tag but immediately selects it as a block so the
        > instruction with ^& thus:
        > ^!InsertHtml <P ALIGN="center">^P^&
        >
        > So best make it a firm rule always to use ^!InsertHtml with ^& included.
        > I shall.
        >
        > Danke
        > Axel

        Hi Axel,

        The ^& code at the end is what causes the autoselection to occur in the
        first place. That code is shorthand for preselected text (preselected
        prior to executing your clip). You should avoid using it if you don't
        need it.

        Try these (in separate clips) . The first is your originally posted code.

        ^!Set debug on
        ^!Set %varLNK%=^?{Enter a URL one level up=^%varLNK%}; %varCNT%=^?{Enter
        a description for this link=^%varCNT%}; %varOben%=^?{(T=L)Oberste
        Leiste?==Ja|_Nein}
        ^!InsertHtml <P ALIGN="center">^P
        ^!If ^%varOben%="Ja" Oben
        ^!InsertHtml <A HREF="#top">Zum Anfang</A>
        ^!Goto Unten
        :Oben
        ^!InsertHtml <A HREF="#bottom">Zum Seitenende</A>
        :Unten
        ^!InsertHtml     ^P<A
        HREF="^%varLNK%">^%varCNT%</A>^P     ^P<A
        HREF="/index.php">Home & Impressum</A>^P</P>^P^P^&
        ;end of clip

        vs

        ^!Set debug on
        ^!Set %varLNK%=^?{Enter a URL one level up=^%varLNK%}; %varCNT%=^?{Enter
        a description for this link=^%varCNT%}; %varOben%=^?{(T=L)Oberste
        Leiste?==Ja|_Nein}
        ^!InsertHtml <P ALIGN="center">^P
        ^!If ^%varOben%="Ja" Oben
        ^!InsertHtml <A HREF="#top">Zum Anfang</A>
        ^!Goto Unten
        :Oben
        ^!InsertHtml <A HREF="#bottom">Zum Seitenende</A>
        :Unten
        ^!InsertHtml     ^P<A
        HREF="^%varLNK%">^%varCNT%</A>^P     ^P<A
        HREF="/index.php">Home & Impressum</A>^P</P>^P^P
        ;end of clip

        All that's been done in the second one is the ^& has been removed from
        the last line. Now I agree that it's strange that having a ^& on the
        last line affects the behavior of the first line in the clip, but that's
        one of the consequences of using ^&. So my advice is to use ^& only when
        you need to insert preselected text, and then use ^!Jump Select_End's
        after each ^!Insert type command in your clip.

        PS, hope this comes through. Due to missing messages I'm now writing
        through email instead of posting at the web site.
      • Sheri
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 3, 2007
          Sheri wrote:
          > ^!Set debug on

          Wait! Typo, should be ^!Setdebug on, no space between ^!Set and debug.
          Sorry!

          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 3, 2007
            Sheri wrote:
            > The ^& code at the end is what causes the autoselection
            > to occur in the first place.

            That's what it says in help for InsertText (found it now) - but with
            InsertHtml it definitely works the other way round, trust me.

            > Now I agree that it's strange that having a ^& on the
            > last line affects the behavior of the first line in the clip,
            > but that's one of the consequences of using ^&.

            Hmm, I believe you. But since having a ^& in every instance of the
            command achieves the same goal for me, I'll leave it as it is for the
            time being. Being able to place the cursor at the end of the whole clip
            is a good thing.