[Clip] Re: Removing unwanted data.

  • Sheri
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 15, 2007

      > Sheri wrote:
      > > The RSAW at
      > > the end means, regex replace all silently in the whole file.
      > > ^!Replace "(?<=\d)(?>\x20\d[^\r\n]+)" >> "" RSAW
      >
      > I found the manual somewhat unclear there. Could I
      > write RSA5W to make it start at the beginning, replace
      > exactly five instances and stop?
      >
      > Danke Axel

      With the "A" option it replaces all, without it, it replaces once. I
      don't see anyplace in the documentation suggesting otherwise? If you
      really needed to replace a fixed number of times, you could run
      replace a fixed number of times in a clip/loop. You would not want to
      use the "W" option because that would cause it to always search from
      the top, instead of from the end of the previous replacement.

      There is a number option available in regex find and replace commands,
      but that is to identify a target subpattern (if any) and has nothing
      to do with the number of instances to replace. The optional target
      subpattern specifies a subpattern within the search pattern to be
      targetted for ^!Find or ^!Replace. If none is specified, it defaults
      to zero, which is the whole pattern (like $0).