Re: [Clip] Help with RegExp

  • buralex@gmail.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 4, 2007
      Lee: This time I tested by putting the find clause and the replace
      clause in the REPLACE dialog, copied your original email to a new file
      in Notetab.
      Clicking Find and then Replace (also tried again with immediately
      clicking Replace All)

      worked both times

      also made a one-line clip out of it - worked

      Did the line I sent originally get wrapped into two lines by Yahoo? Its
      supposed to be one line.

      When I get inexplicable errors like this (happens frequently :-[ ) I
      usually try to break it down by testing in the Replace dialog, first
      putting in a sub-set of what I'm trying to do and then adding one clause
      at a time until I figure out what the "stupid" mistake is that I'm
      overlooking!

      If/when you figure it out please post back ....

      I just noticed that the replace clause as you show it in your quote it
      is totally mangled! the stuff after the >> and inside quotes is supposed
      to be exactly:
      =====>"<strong>Date $1:</strong>"<========
      In your quote of what I sent I see:
      =====>"*<strong>Date
      >*$1:*</strong>*"<========

      broken over two lines and with asterisks(stars) where they have no
      business being!

      > Thanks but it creates a "Regex error: nothing to repeat". Then gives
      > a clip error. It doesn't do anything.
      >
      > Lee
      >

      > On 1/3/2007 10:11 PM, buralex@... wrote:

      >> >*$1:*</strong>*" rwasi
      >> >
      >> >the above is for Notetab 5 and relies on the existence of the * (escaped
      >> >with a backslash in the above) and keeps everything after the * to
      >> >end-of-line.
      >> >(not tested)

      Regards ... Alec -- buralex-gmail

    • Sheri
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 4, 2007
        Hi Alec,

        When NoteTab gives a regex error, it is only ever referring to the
        search side of a replace command.

        You have some unescaped asterisks there, especially the first
        character. I haven't tested it, but it looks like a problem to me:

        > "*<strong>Details:</strong>*.*\*(.*)"

      • Alec Burgess
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 4, 2007
          Sheri,Lee: It looks like Thunderbird was munging what I sent (I think
          recognizing the strong tag in angle brackets and trying to "help" by
          putting the asterisks around them (the normal way to signal emphasis
          when sending text email) (underlines similarly are used to mark
          underlines and slashes to mark italics)

          In any case, I'm sending this from the yahoo-groups web interface in
          Firefox 2. Sorry for all the confusion Lee. Here's what I intended to
          send originally (hope it comes through OK):

          ======= (one line)
          $1:</strong>" rwasi
          ======= (end one line)
          There are only three asterisks in the above, a dot-star, a back-slash
          star and another dot_star in parentheses!

          > Hi Alec,
          >
          > When NoteTab gives a regex error, it is only ever referring to the
          > search side of a replace command.
          >
          > You have some unescaped asterisks there, especially the first
          > character. I haven't tested it, but it looks like a problem to me:
          >
          > > "*<strong>Details:</strong>*.*\*(.*)"
          >
          > Regards,
          > Sheri

        • junja
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 7, 2007
            Sending code to people who use Thunderbird for their email
            can be tricky, in particular over '>' characters. Tb users
            should check the syntax of any code they copy and paste
            which contains '>' characters against the original email.
            junja

            Alec Burgess wrote:
            > Sheri,Lee: It looks like Thunderbird was munging what I sent (I think
            > recognizing the strong tag in angle brackets and trying to "help" by
            > putting the asterisks around them (the normal way to signal emphasis
            > when sending text email) (underlines similarly are used to mark
            > underlines and slashes to mark italics)
            >
            > In any case, I'm sending this from the yahoo-groups web interface in
            > Firefox 2. Sorry for all the confusion Lee. Here's what I intended to
            > send originally (hope it comes through OK):
            >
            > ======= (one line)
            > $1:</strong>" rwasi
            > ======= (end one line)
            > There are only three asterisks in the above, a dot-star, a back-slash
            > star and another dot_star in parentheses!
            >
            > --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Sheri" <silvermoonwoman@...> wrote:
            >> Hi Alec,
            >>
            >> When NoteTab gives a regex error, it is only ever referring to the
            >> search side of a replace command.
            >>
            >> You have some unescaped asterisks there, especially the first
            >> character. I haven't tested it, but it looks like a problem to me:
            >>
            >>> "*<strong>Details:</strong>*.*\*(.*)"
            >> Regards,
            >> Sheri

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Lee Underwood
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 8, 2007
              Alec,

              This works except it includes the entire rest of the portion (making
              it all bold). Here is a sample of what I have to change (portions to
              be changed are in red):

              <strong>Title:</strong> <a name="Credit_Card_Number_Validation"
              href="http://javascript.internet.com/forms/credit-card-number-validation.html">Credit
              4.97 KB * Uploaded November 7
              number could be valid before submitting it for real-time online
              authentication. Based on ANSI X4.13, the LUHN formula, aka the Mod 10
              algorithm is used to validate accurate credit card numbers. Heavily
              commented.</p><p class="listingalign" align="right">[ <a
              href="http://javascript.internet.com/forms/credit-card-number-validation.html#source">Get
              Source Code</a> ]
              <hr noshade size="2">

              Here is what I want to change it to:

              <strong>Title:</strong> <a name="Credit_Card_Number_Validation"
              href="http://javascript.internet.com/forms/credit-card-number-validation.html">Credit
              Determine if a credit card number could be valid before submitting it
              for real-time online authentication. Based on ANSI X4.13, the LUHN
              formula, aka the Mod 10 algorithm is used to validate accurate credit
              card numbers. Heavily commented.</p>
              <hr noshade size="2">

              I hope that a bit more clearer. I tried changing yours but I haven't
              a clue. Once I get this done I'm jumping in full-speed into RegEx.
              It's kind of like when I was a kid and learning math, it took a bit
              and then, bam! I got it!

              Thanks for your help.

              Lee

              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 8, 2007
                Try it this way:

                ^!Replace "(?s)(<strong>.*?)Details:.*?(</strong>).+?(Uploaded)" >>
                "$1Date $3$2" RAWS0

                can also be written so it defaults to Ungreedy to avoid needing the
                question marks:

                ^!Replace "(?sU)(<strong>.*)Details:.*(</strong>).+(Uploaded)" >>
                "$1Date $3$2" RAWS0

              • Lee Underwood
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 9, 2007
                  Sheri,

                  Thanks! That works great! I was also able to adapt it for another
                  change. I'll take a dissect it to get a better understanding.

                  Thanks again.

                  Lee