Re: [Clip] Re: Help with RegExp

  • Lee Underwood
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 4 12:23 PM
      Sheri,

      Thanks. I appreciate it. It looks like a good resource.

      I'm not giving up learning this. I want to learn it inside and out. I
      am just trying right now to find a solution for an immediate problem.

      Lee

    • buralex@gmail.com
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 4 3:25 PM
        Lee: This time I tested by putting the find clause and the replace
        clause in the REPLACE dialog, copied your original email to a new file
        in Notetab.
        Clicking Find and then Replace (also tried again with immediately
        clicking Replace All)

        worked both times

        also made a one-line clip out of it - worked

        Did the line I sent originally get wrapped into two lines by Yahoo? Its
        supposed to be one line.

        When I get inexplicable errors like this (happens frequently :-[ ) I
        usually try to break it down by testing in the Replace dialog, first
        putting in a sub-set of what I'm trying to do and then adding one clause
        at a time until I figure out what the "stupid" mistake is that I'm
        overlooking!

        If/when you figure it out please post back ....

        I just noticed that the replace clause as you show it in your quote it
        is totally mangled! the stuff after the >> and inside quotes is supposed
        to be exactly:
        =====>"<strong>Date $1:</strong>"<========
        In your quote of what I sent I see:
        =====>"*<strong>Date
        >*$1:*</strong>*"<========

        broken over two lines and with asterisks(stars) where they have no
        business being!

        > Thanks but it creates a "Regex error: nothing to repeat". Then gives
        > a clip error. It doesn't do anything.
        >
        > Lee
        >

        > On 1/3/2007 10:11 PM, buralex@... wrote:

        >> >*$1:*</strong>*" rwasi
        >> >
        >> >the above is for Notetab 5 and relies on the existence of the * (escaped
        >> >with a backslash in the above) and keeps everything after the * to
        >> >end-of-line.
        >> >(not tested)

        Regards ... Alec -- buralex-gmail

      • Sheri
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 4 4:01 PM
          Hi Alec,

          When NoteTab gives a regex error, it is only ever referring to the
          search side of a replace command.

          You have some unescaped asterisks there, especially the first
          character. I haven't tested it, but it looks like a problem to me:

          > "*<strong>Details:</strong>*.*\*(.*)"

        • Alec Burgess
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 4 5:49 PM
            Sheri,Lee: It looks like Thunderbird was munging what I sent (I think
            recognizing the strong tag in angle brackets and trying to "help" by
            putting the asterisks around them (the normal way to signal emphasis
            when sending text email) (underlines similarly are used to mark
            underlines and slashes to mark italics)

            In any case, I'm sending this from the yahoo-groups web interface in
            Firefox 2. Sorry for all the confusion Lee. Here's what I intended to
            send originally (hope it comes through OK):

            ======= (one line)
            $1:</strong>" rwasi
            ======= (end one line)
            There are only three asterisks in the above, a dot-star, a back-slash
            star and another dot_star in parentheses!

            > Hi Alec,
            >
            > When NoteTab gives a regex error, it is only ever referring to the
            > search side of a replace command.
            >
            > You have some unescaped asterisks there, especially the first
            > character. I haven't tested it, but it looks like a problem to me:
            >
            > > "*<strong>Details:</strong>*.*\*(.*)"
            >
            > Regards,
            > Sheri

          • junja
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 7 8:41 AM
              Sending code to people who use Thunderbird for their email
              can be tricky, in particular over '>' characters. Tb users
              should check the syntax of any code they copy and paste
              which contains '>' characters against the original email.
              junja

              Alec Burgess wrote:
              > Sheri,Lee: It looks like Thunderbird was munging what I sent (I think
              > recognizing the strong tag in angle brackets and trying to "help" by
              > putting the asterisks around them (the normal way to signal emphasis
              > when sending text email) (underlines similarly are used to mark
              > underlines and slashes to mark italics)
              >
              > In any case, I'm sending this from the yahoo-groups web interface in
              > Firefox 2. Sorry for all the confusion Lee. Here's what I intended to
              > send originally (hope it comes through OK):
              >
              > ======= (one line)
              > $1:</strong>" rwasi
              > ======= (end one line)
              > There are only three asterisks in the above, a dot-star, a back-slash
              > star and another dot_star in parentheses!
              >
              > --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Sheri" <silvermoonwoman@...> wrote:
              >> Hi Alec,
              >>
              >> When NoteTab gives a regex error, it is only ever referring to the
              >> search side of a replace command.
              >>
              >> You have some unescaped asterisks there, especially the first
              >> character. I haven't tested it, but it looks like a problem to me:
              >>
              >>> "*<strong>Details:</strong>*.*\*(.*)"
              >> Regards,
              >> Sheri

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Lee Underwood
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 8 11:47 AM
                Alec,

                This works except it includes the entire rest of the portion (making
                it all bold). Here is a sample of what I have to change (portions to
                be changed are in red):

                <strong>Title:</strong> <a name="Credit_Card_Number_Validation"
                href="http://javascript.internet.com/forms/credit-card-number-validation.html">Credit
                4.97 KB * Uploaded November 7
                number could be valid before submitting it for real-time online
                authentication. Based on ANSI X4.13, the LUHN formula, aka the Mod 10
                algorithm is used to validate accurate credit card numbers. Heavily
                commented.</p><p class="listingalign" align="right">[ <a
                href="http://javascript.internet.com/forms/credit-card-number-validation.html#source">Get
                Source Code</a> ]
                <hr noshade size="2">

                Here is what I want to change it to:

                <strong>Title:</strong> <a name="Credit_Card_Number_Validation"
                href="http://javascript.internet.com/forms/credit-card-number-validation.html">Credit
                Determine if a credit card number could be valid before submitting it
                for real-time online authentication. Based on ANSI X4.13, the LUHN
                formula, aka the Mod 10 algorithm is used to validate accurate credit
                card numbers. Heavily commented.</p>
                <hr noshade size="2">

                I hope that a bit more clearer. I tried changing yours but I haven't
                a clue. Once I get this done I'm jumping in full-speed into RegEx.
                It's kind of like when I was a kid and learning math, it took a bit
                and then, bam! I got it!

                Thanks for your help.

                Lee

                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 8 3:55 PM
                  Try it this way:

                  ^!Replace "(?s)(<strong>.*?)Details:.*?(</strong>).+?(Uploaded)" >>
                  "$1Date $3$2" RAWS0

                  can also be written so it defaults to Ungreedy to avoid needing the
                  question marks:

                  ^!Replace "(?sU)(<strong>.*)Details:.*(</strong>).+(Uploaded)" >>
                  "$1Date $3$2" RAWS0

                • Lee Underwood
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 9 11:21 AM
                    Sheri,

                    Thanks! That works great! I was also able to adapt it for another
                    change. I'll take a dissect it to get a better understanding.

                    Thanks again.

                    Lee