Re: [Clip] Help with RegExp

  • buralex@gmail.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 3, 2007
      Lee

      > I have several lines that I need to replace which are in the midst of
      > a larger text section. The text at the beginning and end of each
      > portion is the same. I just don't know how to find it and replace it
      > in the midst of the section. For instance, I need to find this in a
      > large text portion:
      >
      > *<strong>Details:</strong> 6.08 KB * Uploaded*
      >
      > The part "6.08 KB" will change in each line. I need to place it with
      > something like:
      >
      > *<strong>Date Uploaded:</strong>*
      >
      > What I need, I guess, is to understand how to find sections which
      > begin and end with specific words (while the portion in the middle
      > changes) and then replace it with other text.
      *$1:*</strong>*" rwasi

      the above is for Notetab 5 and relies on the existence of the * (escaped
      with a backslash in the above) and keeps everything after the * to
      end-of-line.
      (not tested)

      Regards ... Alec -- buralex-gmail

    • Sheri
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 3, 2007
        I still recommend going through these slides, very helpful for getting
        a handle on regular expressions (approx 16 mb):

        <http://www.gravitonic.com/downloads/talks/phptek-2006/regex-clinic_phptek2006.pdf>

        Here's a tinyurl for it in case Yahoo breaks the link:

        http://tinyurl.com/yn6ejl

        Hope it helps,
        Sheri
      • Lee Underwood
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 4, 2007
          Thanks but it creates a "Regex error: nothing to repeat". Then gives
          a clip error. It doesn't do anything.

          Lee

          On 1/3/2007 10:11 PM, buralex@... wrote:
          >*$1:*</strong>*" rwasi
          >
          >the above is for Notetab 5 and relies on the existence of the * (escaped
          >with a backslash in the above) and keeps everything after the * to
          >end-of-line.
          >(not tested)
          >
          >Regards ... Alec -- buralex-gmail
          >--
        • Lee Underwood
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 4, 2007
            Sheri,

            Thanks. I appreciate it. It looks like a good resource.

            I'm not giving up learning this. I want to learn it inside and out. I
            am just trying right now to find a solution for an immediate problem.

            Lee

          • buralex@gmail.com
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 4, 2007
              Lee: This time I tested by putting the find clause and the replace
              clause in the REPLACE dialog, copied your original email to a new file
              in Notetab.
              Clicking Find and then Replace (also tried again with immediately
              clicking Replace All)

              worked both times

              also made a one-line clip out of it - worked

              Did the line I sent originally get wrapped into two lines by Yahoo? Its
              supposed to be one line.

              When I get inexplicable errors like this (happens frequently :-[ ) I
              usually try to break it down by testing in the Replace dialog, first
              putting in a sub-set of what I'm trying to do and then adding one clause
              at a time until I figure out what the "stupid" mistake is that I'm
              overlooking!

              If/when you figure it out please post back ....

              I just noticed that the replace clause as you show it in your quote it
              is totally mangled! the stuff after the >> and inside quotes is supposed
              to be exactly:
              =====>"<strong>Date $1:</strong>"<========
              In your quote of what I sent I see:
              =====>"*<strong>Date
              >*$1:*</strong>*"<========

              broken over two lines and with asterisks(stars) where they have no
              business being!

              > Thanks but it creates a "Regex error: nothing to repeat". Then gives
              > a clip error. It doesn't do anything.
              >
              > Lee
              >

              > On 1/3/2007 10:11 PM, buralex@... wrote:

              >> >*$1:*</strong>*" rwasi
              >> >
              >> >the above is for Notetab 5 and relies on the existence of the * (escaped
              >> >with a backslash in the above) and keeps everything after the * to
              >> >end-of-line.
              >> >(not tested)

              Regards ... Alec -- buralex-gmail

            • Sheri
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 4, 2007
                Hi Alec,

                When NoteTab gives a regex error, it is only ever referring to the
                search side of a replace command.

                You have some unescaped asterisks there, especially the first
                character. I haven't tested it, but it looks like a problem to me:

                > "*<strong>Details:</strong>*.*\*(.*)"

              • Alec Burgess
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 4, 2007
                  Sheri,Lee: It looks like Thunderbird was munging what I sent (I think
                  recognizing the strong tag in angle brackets and trying to "help" by
                  putting the asterisks around them (the normal way to signal emphasis
                  when sending text email) (underlines similarly are used to mark
                  underlines and slashes to mark italics)

                  In any case, I'm sending this from the yahoo-groups web interface in
                  Firefox 2. Sorry for all the confusion Lee. Here's what I intended to
                  send originally (hope it comes through OK):

                  ======= (one line)
                  $1:</strong>" rwasi
                  ======= (end one line)
                  There are only three asterisks in the above, a dot-star, a back-slash
                  star and another dot_star in parentheses!

                  > Hi Alec,
                  >
                  > When NoteTab gives a regex error, it is only ever referring to the
                  > search side of a replace command.
                  >
                  > You have some unescaped asterisks there, especially the first
                  > character. I haven't tested it, but it looks like a problem to me:
                  >
                  > > "*<strong>Details:</strong>*.*\*(.*)"
                  >
                  > Regards,
                  > Sheri

                • junja
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 7, 2007
                    Sending code to people who use Thunderbird for their email
                    can be tricky, in particular over '>' characters. Tb users
                    should check the syntax of any code they copy and paste
                    which contains '>' characters against the original email.
                    junja

                    Alec Burgess wrote:
                    > Sheri,Lee: It looks like Thunderbird was munging what I sent (I think
                    > recognizing the strong tag in angle brackets and trying to "help" by
                    > putting the asterisks around them (the normal way to signal emphasis
                    > when sending text email) (underlines similarly are used to mark
                    > underlines and slashes to mark italics)
                    >
                    > In any case, I'm sending this from the yahoo-groups web interface in
                    > Firefox 2. Sorry for all the confusion Lee. Here's what I intended to
                    > send originally (hope it comes through OK):
                    >
                    > ======= (one line)
                    > $1:</strong>" rwasi
                    > ======= (end one line)
                    > There are only three asterisks in the above, a dot-star, a back-slash
                    > star and another dot_star in parentheses!
                    >
                    > --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Sheri" <silvermoonwoman@...> wrote:
                    >> Hi Alec,
                    >>
                    >> When NoteTab gives a regex error, it is only ever referring to the
                    >> search side of a replace command.
                    >>
                    >> You have some unescaped asterisks there, especially the first
                    >> character. I haven't tested it, but it looks like a problem to me:
                    >>
                    >>> "*<strong>Details:</strong>*.*\*(.*)"
                    >> Regards,
                    >> Sheri

                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Lee Underwood
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 8, 2007
                      Alec,

                      This works except it includes the entire rest of the portion (making
                      it all bold). Here is a sample of what I have to change (portions to
                      be changed are in red):

                      <strong>Title:</strong> <a name="Credit_Card_Number_Validation"
                      href="http://javascript.internet.com/forms/credit-card-number-validation.html">Credit
                      4.97 KB * Uploaded November 7
                      number could be valid before submitting it for real-time online
                      authentication. Based on ANSI X4.13, the LUHN formula, aka the Mod 10
                      algorithm is used to validate accurate credit card numbers. Heavily
                      commented.</p><p class="listingalign" align="right">[ <a
                      href="http://javascript.internet.com/forms/credit-card-number-validation.html#source">Get
                      Source Code</a> ]
                      <hr noshade size="2">

                      Here is what I want to change it to:

                      <strong>Title:</strong> <a name="Credit_Card_Number_Validation"
                      href="http://javascript.internet.com/forms/credit-card-number-validation.html">Credit
                      Determine if a credit card number could be valid before submitting it
                      for real-time online authentication. Based on ANSI X4.13, the LUHN
                      formula, aka the Mod 10 algorithm is used to validate accurate credit
                      card numbers. Heavily commented.</p>
                      <hr noshade size="2">

                      I hope that a bit more clearer. I tried changing yours but I haven't
                      a clue. Once I get this done I'm jumping in full-speed into RegEx.
                      It's kind of like when I was a kid and learning math, it took a bit
                      and then, bam! I got it!

                      Thanks for your help.

                      Lee

                      Message 10 of 12 , Jan 8, 2007
                        Try it this way:

                        ^!Replace "(?s)(<strong>.*?)Details:.*?(</strong>).+?(Uploaded)" >>
                        "$1Date $3$2" RAWS0

                        can also be written so it defaults to Ungreedy to avoid needing the
                        question marks:

                        ^!Replace "(?sU)(<strong>.*)Details:.*(</strong>).+(Uploaded)" >>
                        "$1Date $3$2" RAWS0

                      • Lee Underwood
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jan 9, 2007
                          Sheri,

                          Thanks! That works great! I was also able to adapt it for another
                          change. I'll take a dissect it to get a better understanding.

                          Thanks again.

                          Lee