[Clip] Recovering your old ini settings.

  • Larry Thomas
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 11, 1999
      Hi All,

      From time to time I have a problem in that I do something that changes my
      NoteTab settings drastically and unpredictably. I managed to figure out
      that if you open the INI file and resave it with an (!) as the first
      character it will restore the old settings when you close and then restart
      NoteTab. This is another use of this feature which was created by Eric to
      allow users to edit the INI and have the changes take place on the next
      startup after saving this way. It will not work if the changes you made
      were saved using the ^!ProgIniSave clip command. That command immediately
      alters the INI so that opening it and resaving it has no effect.

      With that in mind, I have done such things as open a whole folder in
      NoteTab when I have a large number of files that I have already opened and
      want to keep open. Now what do I do? I have to close many, many files and
      remember the ones I want to keep open so as not to close them or I have to
      close all files and then remember the ones I had open before and reopen
      them. I created a category called "Active" and I "Add all current files"
      to it so that I can overcome this problem when it occurs. But every time I
      make changes, I need to go to the category, delete everything from it, and
      "Add all current files" to it again to update it. I usually get busy or
      lazy and forget or otherwise don't get it done and then I have an accident.
      Then I discovered my little trick.

      The clip below will allow you to quickly restore your old settings without
      knowing what they were if you have such an accident. Just run the clip
      then terminate and restart NoteTab and your settings will be restored
      including the original files reopened. If you run the clip and change your
      mind afterward, you can just open Windows Explorer and go to the NoteTab
      folder and delete !Notepro.ini or !NoteTab.ini and your new settings will
      be saved when you close NoteTab just as before.

      ---------< start clip >---------
      H="RecoverOldIni"
      ;Larry Thomas <larryt@...>
      ;10/11/1999, 10:13:17 AM