Re: [Clip] Re: how to use scientific notation in a clip?

    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 6, 2006
      This was first sent last evening, but never appeared:

      mfrascinella@... wrote:
      > I imagine it would be tricky to convert the result
      > to scientific notation.

      That depends. you could just go and divide regardless and let it give
      you the result as E9 and E12 and whatever and visually choose the one
      that looks nicest. I wouldn't really want to do a thing like that in
      clip language, but the canonic way, if clips can hack it, is
      3*INT(LOG(x)/3) for the exponent.

      Axel

      N.B: full quotes are evil
    • frascinella
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 12, 2006
        Hi,

        I did some further study, especially of the note about math functions
        that Sheri referred to (from 2003) and finally got the clip to
        calculate the frequency in scientific notation. I took the logarithm
        of the calculated frequency, used the FLOOR function to round the log
        down to an integer, and divided the result by that power of 10 to get
        scientific notation.

        The prompts (now commented out) helped me verify each step of the
        calculation.

        Yours,

        Michael F.

        H="Wavelength -> Frequency"

        ^!Set %wavelength%=^?[Enter the wavelength (cm)]
        ;^!Prompt ^%wavelength% cm
        ^!Set %frequency%=^$Calc(2.9979245800e10/^%wavelength%)$
        ;^!Prompt ^%wavelength% cm = ^%frequency% cycles/sec.
        ^!Set %log_frequency%=^$Calc(FLOOR(LOG10(^%frequency%)))$
        ;^!Prompt ^%log_frequency%
        ^!Prompt ^%wavelength% cm = ^$Calc(^%frequency%/1e^%log_frequency%;3)
        $ x 10^^%log_frequency% cycles/sec (scientific notation)