Re: how to use scientific notation in a clip?

  • mfrascinella@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 5, 2006
      Hi,

      Thanks for all the good tips on how to do this. It seems that all these are evaluated by $Calc with the second one (1.43e9) being the simplest to explain how to enter into a prompt.

      1.43 x 10 to the 9th
      -------------------
      1.43*10^9
      1.43e9
      1.43*power(10;10)

      When I convert from wavelength to frequency, the result is in standard notation, not scientific.
      21 cm = 1427583133.333

      I can carefully count groups of three to figure out whether it's MHz, GHz, or whatever. I imagine it would be tricky to convert the result to scientific notation.

      Yours,

      Michael F
      -������-
      ~
      http://www.mafware.com
      *************************
      Never Forget
      September 11, 2001
      *************************

      From: ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com
      The NoteTab Clips List
      Messages In This Digest (15 Messages)
      1a. Re: how to use scientific notation in a clip? From: Sheri
      1b. Re: how to use scientific notation in a clip? From: Veli-Pekka T���l���
      1c. Re: how to use scientific notation in a clip? From: Alec Burgess
      1d. Re: how to use scientific notation in a clip? From: Veli-Pekka T���l���
      2. Re: New file uploaded to ntb-clips From: Corl DeLuna
      3a. Pesky # characters From: Robin Chapple
      3b. Re: Pesky # characters From: Axel Berger
      3c. Re: Pesky # characters From: hsavage
      3d. Re: Pesky # characters From: Sheri
      3e. Re: Pesky # characters From: loro
      3f. Re: Pesky # characters From: Robin Chapple
      3g. Re: Pesky # characters From: Robin Chapple
      3h. Re: Pesky # characters From: Julie
      3i. Re: Pesky # characters From: loro
      3j. Re: Pesky # characters From: Axel Berger
      View All Topics | Create New Topic Messages
      1a. Re: how to use scientific notation in a clip?
      Posted by: "Sheri" silvermoonwoman@... silvermoonwoman2001
      Mon Dec 4, 2006 9:09 am (PST)
      I think you will find what you need here:

      --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, mfrascinella@... wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > I just made two clips that convert frequency to wavelength and vice
      versa but could not figure out how to use the math functions to handle
      scientific notation. The online help (v4.95) was too skimpy about
      this. I would like the frequency to allow for numbers like 1.43x10 to
      the 9th power, and the same for the speed of light (29979245800
      cm/sec). Can someone explain to me the correct syntax?

      > H="Frequency -> Wavelength"
      > ^!Prompt ^?[Enter the frequency (cycles per sec.)] cycles/sec =
      ^$Calc(29979245800/^?[Enter the frequency (cycles per sec.)])$ cm

      > H="Wavelength -> Frequency"
      > ^!Prompt ^?[Enter the wavelength (cm)] cm =
      ^$Calc(29979245800/^?[Enter the wavelength (cm)])$ cycles/sec.

      > Yours,
      >
      > Michael F
      > -������-
      > ~
      > http://www.mafware.com

      Messages in this topic (5)
      1b. Re: how to use scientific notation in a clip?
      Posted by: "Veli-Pekka T���l��� vtatila@... vepeta
      Mon Dec 4, 2006 9:28 am (PST)
      mfrascinella@... wrote:
      > made two clips that convert frequency to wavelength and vice versa <snip>
      > how to use the math functions to handle scientific notation.
      > 1.43x10 to the 9th power
      I've yet to use math in clip code but it should work the same as in the
      evaluate expression command within NoteTab. THere are at least two ways to
      handle exponentiation:

      The power of operator is the up arrow or caret ^ so:

      1.43 * 10^9

      Also, for base 10 scientific notation you can include the exponent directly
      after the letter e as in languages like C. Such a floating point literal
      would be written:

      1.43e9

      Hope this helps. YOu can veryfy that both do work by selecting an expression
      and hitting ctrl+e on it to evaluate it.

      --
      With kind regards Veli-Pekka T���l���vtatila@...)
      http://www.student.oulu.fi/~vtatila/

      Messages in this topic (5)
      1c. Re: how to use scientific notation in a clip?
      Posted by: "Alec Burgess" buralex@... alecb3ca
      Mon Dec 4, 2006 8:10 pm (PST)

      Veli-Pekka:
      > Also, for base 10 scientific notation you can include the exponent
      > directly
      > after the letter e as in languages like C. Such a floating point literal
      > would be written:
      >
      > 1.43e9
      >
      > Hope this helps. YOu can veryfy that both do work by selecting an
      > expression
      > and hitting ctrl+e on it to evaluate it.

      Did you find that somewhere in Notetab's Help or just "guess" that was
      probably the format for scientific notation?
      I couldn't find it anywhere in Help nor in the yahoo-clips group archive.

      Regards ... Alec -- buralex-gmail

      Messages in this topic (5)
      1d. Re: how to use scientific notation in a clip?
      Posted by: "Veli-Pekka T���l��� vtatila@... vepeta
      Mon Dec 4, 2006 11:46 pm (PST)
      Alec Burgess wrote:
      > Veli-Pekka:
      >> Also, for base 10 scientific notation you can include the exponent
      >> directly
      >> after the letter e as in languages like C. Such a floating point
      >> literal would be written:
      >> 1.43e9
      > Did you find that somewhere in Notetab's Help or just "guess" that was
      > probably the format for scientific notation?
      That was just a guess. it is a common enough convention in other programming
      languages that I thought it just might work. I took a look at the Calculate
      in NoteTab topic and the e notation is not mentioned at all.

      The exponentiation operator ^ is, though_

      Quote:
      Accepted operators:
      + , - , * , / , ^ , MOD, DIV
      End quote.

      Nowhere is it stated that the up arrow is exponentiation. But that is very
      likely given that the other operator people often use for it in langs like
      Fortran or Perl, that is **, is not mentiond at all. If ** is exponentiation
      or there's no such thing, ^ is often the bitwise logical exclusive or. But
      NoteTAb clips store every datatype as text and currently there are no
      bitwise operators to my knowledge.

      --
      With kind regards Veli-Pekka T���l���vtatila@...)
      http://www.student.oulu.fi/~vtatila/

      Messages in this topic (5)
      2. Re: New file uploaded to ntb-clips
      Posted by: "Corl DeLuna" corl@... corl_deluna
      Mon Dec 4, 2006 10:51 am (PST)
      Thanks Horst,

      A year and a half? Wow! While the goal of CVS is very appealing, the
      methodology takes time to get one's head around it. Especially for me trying
      to juggle 2 dozen very different things. I've taken this on as a very long
      term project.

      I've also been looking at Subversion http://svnbook.red-bean.com/, and
      http://subversion.tigris.org/

      Your use of CVS to branch sounds possibly similar to how I do my
      experimentations on successive copies, I always make a new copy as each
      element is stabilized, so I can easily return to the last stable version
      should the next step fall apart on me.

      Best,
      Corl

      _____