Re: [Clip] how to use scientific notation in a clip?

  • Veli-Pekka Tätilä
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 4, 2006
      Alec Burgess wrote:
      > Veli-Pekka:
      >> Also, for base 10 scientific notation you can include the exponent
      >> directly
      >> after the letter e as in languages like C. Such a floating point
      >> literal would be written:
      >> 1.43e9
      > Did you find that somewhere in Notetab's Help or just "guess" that was
      > probably the format for scientific notation?
      That was just a guess. it is a common enough convention in other programming
      languages that I thought it just might work. I took a look at the Calculate
      in NoteTab topic and the e notation is not mentioned at all.

      The exponentiation operator ^ is, though_

      Quote:
      Accepted operators:
      + , - , * , / , ^ , MOD, DIV
      End quote.

      Nowhere is it stated that the up arrow is exponentiation. But that is very
      likely given that the other operator people often use for it in langs like
      Fortran or Perl, that is **, is not mentiond at all. If ** is exponentiation
      or there's no such thing, ^ is often the bitwise logical exclusive or. But
      NoteTAb clips store every datatype as text and currently there are no
      bitwise operators to my knowledge.

      --
      With kind regards Veli-Pekka Tätilä (vtatila@...)
      http://www.student.oulu.fi/~vtatila/