Re: [Clip] Pesky # characters

  • loro
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 4, 2006
      Robin Chapple wrote:
      >At 5/12/2006 11:47, loro wrote:
      > >Add a "T" to the flags. I thought that not to search for whole words only
      > >was the default, but obviously not.
      >
      >Pardon my ignorance. What is a "T" in this context?

      Instead of WAIS use WAIST. As Sheri also pointed out your clip finds "#"
      when it's on its own but not in a string, so I assumed that was the problem
      with your text too.
      From help:
      "T: Does not search for whole words only (search string can be found within
      longer words)."

      Lotta
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 5, 2006
        hsavage wrote:
        > I have no trouble
        > replacing the (hash)number characters from the sample.

        Well, yes, obviously. Text emails use a limited character set and the
        example got boiled down by the interface. But from:

        >> ;FIND "# & # AND REPLACE

        you can see, that more than one hash-like character was meant originally
        and presumably both aren't our basic 7-bit ASCII "#".

        Axel
      • Sheri
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 5, 2006
          --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, loro <loro-spam01-@...> wrote:

          > Robin Chapple wrote:
          > > At 5/12/2006 11:47, loro wrote: Add a "T" to the
          > > flags. I thought that not to search for whole words
          > > only was the default, but obviously not.
          > >
          > > Pardon my ignorance. What is a "T" in this context?

          > Instead of WAIS use WAIST. As Sheri also pointed out
          > your clip finds "#" when it's on its own but not in a
          > string, so I assumed that was the problem with your
          > text too. From help: "T: Does not search for whole
          > words only (search string can be found within longer
          > words)."

          You're quite right, but its odd that its required. I would not have
          thought of "#" as a "whole word" (or even a word character).