Re: [Clip] Pesky # characters

  • Julie
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 4, 2006
      At 12/4/2006 09:18 PM, Robin Chapple wrote:
      >At 5/12/2006 11:47, loro wrote:
      >
      > > Robin Chapple wrote:
      > > >I find that it does not remove the hash character.
      > > >
      > > >What have I done wrong?
      > > >
      > > >^!Jump DOC_START
      > > >;FIND "# & # AND REPLACE
      > > >^!Replace ""#" >> " " WAIS
      > > >^!Replace "#" >> " " WAIS
      > >
      > >Add a "T" to the flags. I thought that not to search for whole words only
      > >was the default, but obviously not.
      >
      >Pardon my ignorance. What is a "T" in this context?

      From the help file:
      T: Does not search for whole words only (search string can be found
      within longer words).

      All possibilities:

      ^!Find "SearchText" [Options TCIBGWHRS]
      Searches for the specified text. Tab and line break characters should
      be replaced by their tokens (^T and ^P respectively). You can use the
      following optional settings:
      T: Does not search for whole words only (search string can be found
      within longer words).
      C: Searches for whole words only.
      If the options T or C are not used, NoteTab will search for whole
      words if the search criteria does not contain spaces or other word
      delimiting characters. If the search criteria contains such
      delimiters, then NoteTab will accept matches that are not whole words.
      I: Ignores character case.
      B: Searches backwards.
      G: Global scope; searches through all the open documents.
      W: Searches through the whole document (not just from the cursor position).
      H: Only searches within selection if text is highlighted (setting
      ignored if no text selected).
      R: Specifies that the search criteria represents a
      <mk:@MSITStore:C:\Program%20Files\NoteTab%20Pro\ClipCode.chm::/NOTETAB.chm::/regular_expressions.htm>regular
      expression.
      S: Silent search. NoteTab will not display any message box.
      The following example will find the next occurrence of the word
      NoteTab starting from the cursor position. If a match is not found in
      the current document, the other open documents will also be searched:
      ^!FIND "NoteTab" G
      The search criteria must always be placed between double quotes if
      you don't specify search options.

      ^!Replace "SearchText" >> "ReplaceText" [Options TCIBGWHRSA]
      or
      ^!Replace SearchText ReplaceText [Options TCIBGWHRSA]
      Similar to the "^!Find" command but replaces matches with the replace
      criteria. The first format uses spaces to separate parameters and the
      second uses a tab character. Use one or the other but do not mix the
      two formats within an instruction. You can use the following optional
      setting, which is specific to the Replace command:
      A: Use to replace all matched occurrences. When this option is not
      used, only the first match is replaced.
      The following Clip example will search all open documents and replace
      the listed upper case HTML tags to their lower case equivalent:
      ^!Replace <B> <b> GA
      ^!Replace </B> </b> GA
      ^!Replace <I> <i> GA
      ^!Replace </i> </i> GA

    • loro
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 4, 2006
        Robin Chapple wrote:
        >At 5/12/2006 11:47, loro wrote:
        > >Add a "T" to the flags. I thought that not to search for whole words only
        > >was the default, but obviously not.
        >
        >Pardon my ignorance. What is a "T" in this context?

        Instead of WAIS use WAIST. As Sheri also pointed out your clip finds "#"
        when it's on its own but not in a string, so I assumed that was the problem
        with your text too.
        From help:
        "T: Does not search for whole words only (search string can be found within
        longer words)."

        Lotta
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 5, 2006
          hsavage wrote:
          > I have no trouble
          > replacing the (hash)number characters from the sample.

          Well, yes, obviously. Text emails use a limited character set and the
          example got boiled down by the interface. But from:

          >> ;FIND "# & # AND REPLACE

          you can see, that more than one hash-like character was meant originally
          and presumably both aren't our basic 7-bit ASCII "#".

          Axel
        • Sheri
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 5, 2006
            --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, loro <loro-spam01-@...> wrote:

            > Robin Chapple wrote:
            > > At 5/12/2006 11:47, loro wrote: Add a "T" to the
            > > flags. I thought that not to search for whole words
            > > only was the default, but obviously not.
            > >
            > > Pardon my ignorance. What is a "T" in this context?

            > Instead of WAIS use WAIST. As Sheri also pointed out
            > your clip finds "#" when it's on its own but not in a
            > string, so I assumed that was the problem with your
            > text too. From help: "T: Does not search for whole
            > words only (search string can be found within longer
            > words)."

            You're quite right, but its odd that its required. I would not have
            thought of "#" as a "whole word" (or even a word character).