Pesky # characters

  • Robin Chapple
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 4, 2006
      I use NoteTab to clean formatted documents to plain text for use in web pages.

      One clip is used to remove residual marks that include hash
      characters and it is mostly useful.

      I find that it does not remove the hash character.

      What have I done wrong?

      ^!Jump DOC_START
      ;FIND "# & # AND REPLACE
      ^!Replace ""#" >> " " WAIS
      ^!Replace "#" >> " " WAIS

      Thanks,

      Robin Chapple
    • hsavage
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 4, 2006
        Robin Chapple wrote:
        > I use NoteTab to clean formatted documents to plain text for use in
        web pages.

        > One clip is used to remove residual marks that include hash
        > characters and it is mostly useful.
        >
        > I find that it does not remove the hash character.
        >
        > What have I done wrong?
        >
        > ^!Jump DOC_START
        > ;FIND "# & # AND REPLACE
        > ^!Replace ""#" >> " " WAIS
        > ^!Replace "#" >> " " WAIS
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Robin Chapple

        Robin,

        I don't have a sample of the text you're working on but I duplicated a
        small sample of my own.

        Using the replace commands from you sample clip I have no trouble
        replacing the (hash)number characters from the sample.

        I do have the latest NTP version but I don't know if that makes a
        difference in this case.

        ºvº
        2006.12.04
        "Communication Skills I; Tears - The Last Resort, Not the First."
        hrs ø hsavage@...
      • Sheri
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 4, 2006
          Strange, doesn't work for me on a line of #'s, although it will
          replace one if its the only thing on a line, or is followed by a space.

          This works (replaces all of them in the whole doc):

          ^!Replace "\#" >> " " RAWS

          > Robin Chapple wrote:
          > > I use NoteTab to clean formatted documents to plain text for use in
          > web pages.
          > >
          > > One clip is used to remove residual marks that include hash
          > > characters and it is mostly useful.
          > >
          > > I find that it does not remove the hash character.
          > >
          > > What have I done wrong?
          > >
          > > ^!Jump DOC_START
          > > ;FIND "# & # AND REPLACE
          > > ^!Replace ""#" >> " " WAIS
          > > ^!Replace "#" >> " " WAIS
          > >
          > > Thanks,
          > >
          > > Robin Chapple
          >
          > Robin,
          >
          > I don't have a sample of the text you're working on but I duplicated a
          > small sample of my own.
          >
          > Using the replace commands from you sample clip I have no trouble
          > replacing the (hash)number characters from the sample.
          >
          > I do have the latest NTP version but I don't know if that makes a
          > difference in this case.
          >
          > ºvº
          > 2006.12.04
          > "Communication Skills I; Tears - The Last Resort, Not the First."
          > hrs ø hsavage@...

        • loro
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 4, 2006
            Robin Chapple wrote:
            >I find that it does not remove the hash character.
            >
            >What have I done wrong?
            >
            >^!Jump DOC_START
            >;FIND "# & # AND REPLACE
            >^!Replace ""#" >> " " WAIS
            >^!Replace "#" >> " " WAIS

            Add a "T" to the flags. I thought that not to search for whole words only
            was the default, but obviously not.

            Lotta
          • Robin Chapple
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 4, 2006