Re: Fwd: Re: [Clip] Clip to shorten record - NoteBlock

  • Robin Chapple
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 6, 2006
      A search for "NoteBlock" took me to "NotesBrowser" but I can find no
      reference to NoteBlock.

      What Have I missed?

      Thanks,

      Tobin

      At 6/11/2006 14:16, Robin Chapple wrote:

      >--- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" <don@...>
      >wrote:
      >
      >Robin Chapple wrote:
      > > I am real beginner.
      > >
      > > I use NoteTab, amongst other things, to give me clean text for web
      >pages.
      > >
      > > I need to produce a regular report that lists pages and visitors.
      > >
      > > When the html is cleared by NoteTab I am left with nearly 1000
      >lines like this:
      > >
      > > /main/index.htm 65 845 Bytes 23 4
      > >
      > > I need to retain the filename and visitor count which is the first
      > > digits, which could be a group on one, two or three characters.
      > >
      > > So I need a clip which says "Keep the first two 'columns'. Delete
      > > after the second space.
      > >
      > > That is beyond my limited abilities.
      > >
      > > Your suggestions are welcomed.
      > >
      > > Robin Chapple
      >
      >There are several ways Robin, but the easiest would be to get Jody's
      >clip book library called noteblock and use the extract two fields
      >clip I
      >suppose. Myself I would split data into arrays with space as
      >delimiter
      >and keep the first two elements of that array. I am not sure what
      >Jody
      >does to get it split.
      >
      >--- End forwarded message ---
    • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 6, 2006
        Robin Chapple wrote:
        > A search for "NoteBlock" took me to "NotesBrowser" but I can find no
        > reference to NoteBlock.
        >
        > What Have I missed?
        Hi Robin,

        Google got me there ...
        http://www.notetab.net/html/library.htm

        Look down the page and you'll find it alphabetically.

        Direct Link:
        http://www.notetab.net/zip/noteblock.zip

        But if you go to the original page above it tells you much of what it
        does. I use it quite often.

        Another very easy way for you to do what you are suggesting is to import
        your file into excel (data/import external data/delimited/choose space
        to delimit/etc.) then just copy the two columns you want. Then you can
        sort on number of hits, by name of file, do averages, ranks, all sorts
        of things. I love notetab and do all sorts of things with it, but ...
        it isn't always the quickest best and most efficient at every single
        task. Certainly you can write clips to do all of the same things
        (Noteblock in fact will order things and remove duplicates and etc. etc.
        etc.) but this is what excel is great at. I also use CSVedit (freeware
        I think) and that will quickly generate html pages from the delimited
        file and so forth.

        This may get off topic quickly so if it does feel free to move it or
        write me direct.

        Don
      • Robin Chapple
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 6, 2006