Re: [Clip] Saving all .bak files to specific directory

  • abairheart
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 1, 2006
      Alex,

      The BEST way to do this is to use a version control software in
      addition to NoteTab. There is the MS VSS, comes with Visual studio, as
      well as a number of freeware/open source packages with ports to
      Windows. No law requires you to restrict version control to
      programming source files. You'll have to decide for yourself (search
      google) what is safe to use.

      These kind of programs maintain a database of changes made to all
      files you decide to track in a separate folder. The downside is, that
      you must remember to open files from the database, rather than from
      Notetab's folder. NoteTab could probably do this for you via a clip.

      If you DO use such a package, just turn NoteTab's back-up OFF.

      Abair

      --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Alex Wenzel" <fuzzi123@...> wrote:

      > I'm not sure you're talking about the same thing I asked for.
      > I'm looking for something that completely replaces the backup
      > function, including the naming conventions, and ideally the
      > possibility of incremental backups, just sending everything to a pre-
      > definded folder. Something you don't have to specifically trigger
      > (and *certainly* not from a toolbar icon), something that is
      > triggered automatically by saving (also by auto-saving).

    • abairheart
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 1, 2006
        Before I wrote this reply I hadn't looked at the recently uploaded
        file to this forum.

        Check it out. It is one of the version control programs available for
        Windows.

        NOTE: this is NOT an endorsement - I have no knowledge of
        Tortoise.

        Abair.

        --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "abairheart" <abairheart@...> wrote:

        > Alex,
        >
        > The BEST way to do this is to use a version control software in
        > addition to NoteTab. There is the MS VSS, comes with Visual studio, as
        > well as a number of freeware/open source packages with ports to
        > Windows. No law requires you to restrict version control to
        > programming source files. You'll have to decide for yourself (search
        > google) what is safe to use.
        >
        > These kind of programs maintain a database of changes made to all
        > files you decide to track in a separate folder. The downside is, that
        > you must remember to open files from the database, rather than from
        > Notetab's folder. NoteTab could probably do this for you via a clip.
        >
        > If you DO use such a package, just turn NoteTab's back-up OFF.
        >

        > Abair
        >

        > --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Alex Wenzel" <fuzzi123@> wrote:
        > >
        > > I'm not sure you're talking about the same thing I asked for.
        > > I'm looking for something that completely replaces the backup
        > > function, including the naming conventions, and ideally the
        > > possibility of incremental backups, just sending everything to a pre-
        > > definded folder. Something you don't have to specifically trigger
        > > (and *certainly* not from a toolbar icon), something that is
        > > triggered automatically by saving (also by auto-saving).

      • loro
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 1, 2006
          Jeff Scism wrote:
          >access denied! access to /usr/local/www/~wren/notetab/moveBAK.zip
          >failed for 68-65-28-229.snbrca.adelphia.net, reason: File does not exist

          It's moved.
          <http://www.mcmains.com/wren/notetab/>

          Lotta