Re: [Clip] Re: Saving all .bak files to specific directory

  • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 31, 2006
      Jeff Scism wrote:
      > access denied! access to /usr/local/www/~wren/notetab/moveBAK.zip
      > failed for 68-65-28-229.snbrca.adelphia.net, reason: File does not exist

      While I don't have a real clue what we are talking about I also wonder
      if it isn't off topic at this point relative to clips? I'll copy it
      over there as I think it is. I'll give one of these programs a try one
      of these days. I did buy one of the disk ghosting programs discussed a
      few weeks ago because I had to install windows vista and wanted to be
      able to return the machine to xp without much effort. Hopefully it
      works when the time comes here in a week or two to revert.
    • abairheart
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 1, 2006
        Axel,

        A semi-workaround is an auto-replace library.

        Just create a clip named "ö" and have it type "ö", discarding the
        ar-key character (whatever word delimiter you type after the "ö".

        You WILL have to test for case of the character typed, since clipnames
        are case in sensitive.

        Abair

        One thing I miss a bit is the need to convert characters, easily and
        frequently forgotten after small changes. I'd love to be able to make
        <ö> yield "ö" and <Ctrl><ö> "ö".
      • abairheart
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 1, 2006
          Alex,

          The BEST way to do this is to use a version control software in
          addition to NoteTab. There is the MS VSS, comes with Visual studio, as
          well as a number of freeware/open source packages with ports to
          Windows. No law requires you to restrict version control to
          programming source files. You'll have to decide for yourself (search
          google) what is safe to use.

          These kind of programs maintain a database of changes made to all
          files you decide to track in a separate folder. The downside is, that
          you must remember to open files from the database, rather than from
          Notetab's folder. NoteTab could probably do this for you via a clip.

          If you DO use such a package, just turn NoteTab's back-up OFF.

          Abair

          --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Alex Wenzel" <fuzzi123@...> wrote:

          > I'm not sure you're talking about the same thing I asked for.
          > I'm looking for something that completely replaces the backup
          > function, including the naming conventions, and ideally the
          > possibility of incremental backups, just sending everything to a pre-
          > definded folder. Something you don't have to specifically trigger
          > (and *certainly* not from a toolbar icon), something that is
          > triggered automatically by saving (also by auto-saving).

        • abairheart
          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 1, 2006
            Before I wrote this reply I hadn't looked at the recently uploaded
            file to this forum.

            Check it out. It is one of the version control programs available for
            Windows.

            NOTE: this is NOT an endorsement - I have no knowledge of
            Tortoise.

            Abair.

            --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "abairheart" <abairheart@...> wrote:

            > Alex,
            >
            > The BEST way to do this is to use a version control software in
            > addition to NoteTab. There is the MS VSS, comes with Visual studio, as
            > well as a number of freeware/open source packages with ports to
            > Windows. No law requires you to restrict version control to
            > programming source files. You'll have to decide for yourself (search
            > google) what is safe to use.
            >
            > These kind of programs maintain a database of changes made to all
            > files you decide to track in a separate folder. The downside is, that
            > you must remember to open files from the database, rather than from
            > Notetab's folder. NoteTab could probably do this for you via a clip.
            >
            > If you DO use such a package, just turn NoteTab's back-up OFF.
            >

            > Abair
            >

            > --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Alex Wenzel" <fuzzi123@> wrote:
            > >
            > > I'm not sure you're talking about the same thing I asked for.
            > > I'm looking for something that completely replaces the backup
            > > function, including the naming conventions, and ideally the
            > > possibility of incremental backups, just sending everything to a pre-
            > > definded folder. Something you don't have to specifically trigger
            > > (and *certainly* not from a toolbar icon), something that is
            > > triggered automatically by saving (also by auto-saving).

          • loro
            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 1, 2006
              Jeff Scism wrote:
              >access denied! access to /usr/local/www/~wren/notetab/moveBAK.zip
              >failed for 68-65-28-229.snbrca.adelphia.net, reason: File does not exist

              It's moved.
              <http://www.mcmains.com/wren/notetab/>

              Lotta