Saving all .bak files to specific directory

  • Alex Wenzel
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 28, 2006
      Hi,
      I'm running the trial version of NoteTab ATM and missing a way to save
      all .bak files to one directory, to not clutter the original file's
      directory.
      A thread in the beginner's forum pointed to the clips section for a
      clip that would do that, but I can't find anything (maybe I missed it,
      because I don't know anything about clips). Actually, I don't
      understand why this (which is a very unfortunate omission in the
      program itself) should be done with a clip, because it would have to
      run continuously, or am I wrong with that?
      Alex
    • Don Daugherty
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 28, 2006
        Alex Wenzel wrote:
        > Hi,
        > I'm running the trial version of NoteTab ATM and missing a way to save
        > all .bak files to one directory, to not clutter the original file's
        > directory.
        > A thread in the beginner's forum pointed to the clips section for a
        > clip that would do that, but I can't find anything (maybe I missed it,
        > because I don't know anything about clips). Actually, I don't
        > understand why this (which is a very unfortunate omission in the
        > program itself) should be done with a clip, because it would have to
        > run continuously, or am I wrong with that?
        > Alex

        Not necessarily. It could simply be assigned to an icon on the toolbar,
        and used instead of the regular ways of saving.
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 28, 2006
          Alex Wenzel wrote:
          > Actually, I don't
          > understand why this (which is a very unfortunate omission in the
          > program itself) should be done with a clip,

          I agree with you here. But don't overlook that in this and many other
          ways NoteTab is head and shoulders above the rest. Nearly everything
          else not only has these niggles but actual catastrophic blunders nearly
          everywhere you look close enough.
          I wish other editors for other tasks were half as good. (And yes, I know
          I could write TeX source etc. in NoteTab, but that too would be a
          compromise.)
          One thing I miss a bit is the need to convert characters, easily and
          frequently forgotten after small changes. I'd love to be able to make
          <ö> yield "ö" and <Ctrl><ö> "ö".

          Axel
        • Alex Wenzel
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 28, 2006
            --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Don Daugherty <daugherty@...> wrote:

            > Alex Wenzel wrote:
            > > I'm running the trial version of NoteTab ATM and missing a way to
            save
            > > all .bak files to one directory, to not clutter the original
            file's
            > > directory.
            > > A thread in the beginner's forum pointed to the clips section for
            > > clip that would do that, but I can't find anything (maybe I
            missed it,
            > > because I don't know anything about clips). Actually, I don't
            > > understand why this (which is a very unfortunate omission in the
            > > program itself) should be done with a clip, because it would have
            > > run continuously, or am I wrong with that?

            > Not necessarily. It could simply be assigned to an icon on the
            toolbar,
            > and used instead of the regular ways of saving.

            I'm not sure you're talking about the same thing I asked for.
            I'm looking for something that completely replaces the backup
            function, including the naming conventions, and ideally the
            possibility of incremental backups, just sending everything to a pre-
            definded folder. Something you don't have to specifically trigger
            (and *certainly* not from a toolbar icon), something that is
            triggered automatically by saving (also by auto-saving).
          • Alex Wenzel
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 28, 2006
              > I agree with you here. But don't overlook that in this and many
              other
              > ways NoteTab is head and shoulders above the rest. Nearly everything
              > else not only has these niggles but actual catastrophic blunders
              nearly
              > everywhere you look close enough.
              > I wish other editors for other tasks were half as good. (And yes, I
              know
              > I could write TeX source etc. in NoteTab, but that too would be a
              > compromise.)

              UltraEdit saves nicely to the temp directory if you tell it to do so.
              And it counts lines correctly (NoteTab doesn't count correctly when
              using line wrap). I consider this to be major issues.

              > One thing I miss a bit is the need to convert characters, easily and
              > frequently forgotten after small changes. I'd love to be able to
              make
              > <ö> yield "ö" and <Ctrl><ö> "ö".

              You could probably do this (if not with ntb-clips) with AutoHotkey
              (http://www.autohotkey.com).
              Your post actually inspired me to implement this in AutoHotkey, but
              in the opposite way (I leave "ö" alone and use <Ctrl><ö>
              for "ö"). This works system-wide, which is a plus. I briefly
              tried to configure it the way you want it, but failed (<ö> -
              > "ö" works, but not <Ctrl><ö> -> "ö"). But I still think it's
              feasible (just ask the Gurus in the forums), it's just my knowledge
              of AHK isn't too great as well. You can probably also make it
              application-specific (although I can't see the benefit of that).

              Alex
            • alikayn
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 30, 2006

                > Alex Wenzel wrote:
                > > Actually, I don't
                > > understand why this (which is a very unfortunate omission in the
                > > program itself)

                To manage BAK files, I use a utility called MOVEBAK
                (http://world.std.com/~wren/notetab/moveBAK.zip). It moves backup
                files from an entire drive to a backup directory on the same drive,
                renaming the files with data and time stamps to keep them unique. I
                have a scheduled task that runs at regular intervals during my usual
                work hours and it gives clean directories, and more important, old
                versions of files for those times when one improves code to the point
                of complete destruction.

                MOVEBAK runs in a DOS box, and I also have a clip that calls it for
                times when I have made a big search/replace process and want to be
                sure to protect the backed up files.
              • bobbit_singapore
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 30, 2006
                  --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "alikayn" <ali@...> wrote:

                  > --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Axel Berger <Axel-Berger@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Alex Wenzel wrote:
                  > > > Actually, I don't
                  > > > understand why this (which is a very unfortunate omission in the
                  > > > program itself)
                  >
                  > To manage BAK files, I use a utility called MOVEBAK
                  > (http://world.std.com/~wren/notetab/moveBAK.zip). It moves backup
                  > files from an entire drive to a backup directory on the same drive,
                  > renaming the files with data and time stamps to keep them unique. I
                  > have a scheduled task that runs at regular intervals during my usual
                  > work hours and it gives clean directories, and more important, old
                  > versions of files for those times when one improves code to the point
                  > of complete destruction.
                  >
                  > MOVEBAK runs in a DOS box, and I also have a clip that calls it for
                  > times when I have made a big search/replace process and want to be
                  > sure to protect the backed up files.

                  I use the SyncBackSE program as a general backup tool, and can have it
                  date/time stamp .bak files if I want to. Also compression, scheduled
                  runs, etc. There is a freeware version (www.2brightsparks.com)(look
                  under the Download tab), and a paid version.

                  Disclosure: I started using SyncBack freeware over 2 years ago,
                  upgraded to SyncBackSE (paid version), and now work with the company,
                  2BrightSparks ! Also a NoteTab user since the early days. Two great
                  programs.

                  Dick Gascoigne
                • Jeff Scism
                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 31, 2006
                    access denied! access to /usr/local/www/~wren/notetab/moveBAK.zip
                    failed for 68-65-28-229.snbrca.adelphia.net, reason: File does not exist

                    bobbit_singapore wrote:
                    > --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "alikayn" <ali@...> wrote:
                    >> --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Axel Berger <Axel-Berger@> wrote:
                    >> To manage BAK files, I use a utility called MOVEBAK
                    >> (http://world.std.com/~wren/notetab/moveBAK.zip). It moves backup
                    >> files from an entire drive to a backup directory on the same drive,
                    >> renaming the files with data and time stamps to keep them unique. I
                    >> have a scheduled task that runs at regular intervals during my usual
                    >> work hours and it gives clean directories, and more important, old
                    >> versions of files for those times when one improves code to the point
                    >> of complete destruction.
                    >>
                    >> MOVEBAK runs in a DOS box, and I also have a clip that calls it for
                    >> times when I have made a big search/replace process and want to be
                    >> sure to protect the backed up files.
                    >>
                    > I use the SyncBackSE program as a general backup tool, and can have it
                    > date/time stamp .bak files if I want to. Also compression, scheduled
                    > runs, etc. There is a freeware version (www.2brightsparks.com)(look
                    > under the Download tab), and a paid version.
                    >
                    > Disclosure: I started using SyncBack freeware over 2 years ago,
                    > upgraded to SyncBackSE (paid version), and now work with the company,
                    > 2BrightSparks ! Also a NoteTab user since the early days. Two great
                    > programs.
                    >
                    > Dick Gascoigne

                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 31, 2006
                      Jeff Scism wrote:
                      > access denied! access to /usr/local/www/~wren/notetab/moveBAK.zip
                      > failed for 68-65-28-229.snbrca.adelphia.net, reason: File does not exist

                      While I don't have a real clue what we are talking about I also wonder
                      if it isn't off topic at this point relative to clips? I'll copy it
                      over there as I think it is. I'll give one of these programs a try one
                      of these days. I did buy one of the disk ghosting programs discussed a
                      few weeks ago because I had to install windows vista and wanted to be
                      able to return the machine to xp without much effort. Hopefully it
                      works when the time comes here in a week or two to revert.
                    • abairheart
                      Message 10 of 13 , Nov 1, 2006
                        Axel,

                        A semi-workaround is an auto-replace library.

                        Just create a clip named "ö" and have it type "ö", discarding the
                        ar-key character (whatever word delimiter you type after the "ö".

                        You WILL have to test for case of the character typed, since clipnames
                        are case in sensitive.

                        Abair

                        Message 11 of 13 , Nov 1, 2006
                          Alex,

                          The BEST way to do this is to use a version control software in
                          addition to NoteTab. There is the MS VSS, comes with Visual studio, as
                          well as a number of freeware/open source packages with ports to
                          Windows. No law requires you to restrict version control to
                          programming source files. You'll have to decide for yourself (search
                          google) what is safe to use.

                          These kind of programs maintain a database of changes made to all
                          files you decide to track in a separate folder. The downside is, that
                          you must remember to open files from the database, rather than from
                          Notetab's folder. NoteTab could probably do this for you via a clip.

                          If you DO use such a package, just turn NoteTab's back-up OFF.

                          Abair

                          Message 12 of 13 , Nov 1, 2006
                            Before I wrote this reply I hadn't looked at the recently uploaded
                            file to this forum.

                            Check it out. It is one of the version control programs available for
                            Windows.

                            NOTE: this is NOT an endorsement - I have no knowledge of
                            Tortoise.

                            Abair.

                            --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "abairheart" <abairheart@...> wrote:

                            > Alex,
                            >
                            > The BEST way to do this is to use a version control software in
                            > addition to NoteTab. There is the MS VSS, comes with Visual studio, as
                            > well as a number of freeware/open source packages with ports to
                            > Windows. No law requires you to restrict version control to
                            > programming source files. You'll have to decide for yourself (search
                            > google) what is safe to use.
                            >
                            > These kind of programs maintain a database of changes made to all
                            > files you decide to track in a separate folder. The downside is, that
                            > you must remember to open files from the database, rather than from
                            > Notetab's folder. NoteTab could probably do this for you via a clip.
                            >
                            > If you DO use such a package, just turn NoteTab's back-up OFF.
                            >

                            > Abair
                            >

                            > --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Alex Wenzel" <fuzzi123@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > I'm not sure you're talking about the same thing I asked for.
                            > > I'm looking for something that completely replaces the backup
                            > > function, including the naming conventions, and ideally the
                            > > possibility of incremental backups, just sending everything to a pre-
                            > > definded folder. Something you don't have to specifically trigger
                            > > (and *certainly* not from a toolbar icon), something that is
                            > > triggered automatically by saving (also by auto-saving).

                          • loro
                            Message 13 of 13 , Nov 1, 2006
                              Jeff Scism wrote:
                              >access denied! access to /usr/local/www/~wren/notetab/moveBAK.zip
                              >failed for 68-65-28-229.snbrca.adelphia.net, reason: File does not exist

                              It's moved.
                              <http://www.mcmains.com/wren/notetab/>

                              Lotta