Re: [Clip] cdplayer sort

  • Jeff Scism
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 11, 2006
      I know this is probably pretty early in the scheme of things, but is
      someone working on a clip that adapts all the Regex to the new one, one
      that can be run on a clipbook library to upgrade it?

      Jeff

    • bruce.somers@web.de
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 11, 2006
        Jeff Scism wrote

        > I know this is probably pretty early in the scheme of things, but is someone
        > working on a clip that adapts all the Regex to the new one, one that can be
        > run on a clipbook library to upgrade it?

        It certainly seems like an appropriate task for Fookes Software. One that has been missed.

        Bruce
      • Eric Fookes
        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 11, 2006
          Unfortunately, it is not a process that can be automated reliably.

          bruce.somers@... wrote:
          > Jeff Scism wrote
          >
          >> I know this is probably pretty early in the scheme of things, but is someone
          >> working on a clip that adapts all the Regex to the new one, one that can be
          >> run on a clipbook library to upgrade it?
          >
          > It certainly seems like an appropriate task for Fookes Software. One that has been missed.
          >
          > Bruce

          Eric Fookes
          http://www.fookes.com/
        • Sheri
          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 11, 2006
            --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Scism <scismgenie@...> wrote:
            > I know this is probably pretty early in the scheme of
            > things, but is someone working on a clip that adapts
            > all the Regex to the new one, one that can be run on a
            > clipbook library to upgrade it?

            I don't think an automated conversion would be reliable. There are too
            many variables. For example, in the new regular expression syntax, a
            negated character class always matches a newline. E.g., "[^a]" matches
            everything up to an "a", going on to the next line(s), whereas in the
            old, the match didn't stretch across multiple lines.

            Message 5 of 15 , Oct 11, 2006
              Eric Fookes wrote:
              > Unfortunately, it is not a process that can be automated reliably.

              Why? The parser in 4.9 could identify all these things reliably and
              there are very simple rules what to put in their place. If you think
              about sources partially in new and partially in old code I agree, but
              else the old parser should manage just fine.
              (N.B: I want to learn here, not criticise.)

              Axel
            • buralex@gmail.com
              Message 6 of 15 , Oct 11, 2006
                Axel:

                Axel Berger said the following on 2006-10-11 13:25:
                > Eric Fookes wrote:
                >
                >> Unfortunately, it is not a process that can be automated reliably.
                >>

                > Why? The parser in 4.9 could identify all these things reliably and
                > there are very simple rules what to put in their place. If you think
                > about sources partially in new and partially in old code I agree, but
                > else the old parser should manage just fine.
                > (N.B: I want to learn here, not criticise.)

                Axel: I think you are probably right that it can and should be done :)

                How about writing a clip yourself (using the "new" regexp syntax would
                probably be best) which will convert Find and Replace statements found
                in any clb file from 4.95 syntax to 5.0 syntax? It sounds as if you
                probably have a pretty fair sample set yourself and a handle on what the
                differences are already?

                If you code a first stab at it, I'm sure the rest of us self-proclaimed
                regex wizards will pitch in to validate it against our own clips (at
                least those that haven't already been converted). I'm fairly sure that
                all the ones that are included with the base distribution have already
                been converted, but since they are AFAIK mostly Jody's work and he's not
                as yet a big fan of Regex there may not be that many examples.

                Don (Htmlfixit) has an extensive library of "published" clips as well.
                Don - How much do your clips use Regex?

                Regards ... Alec -- buralex-gmail

              • Sheri
                Message 7 of 15 , Oct 11, 2006

                  > Eric Fookes wrote:
                  > > Unfortunately, it is not a process that can be automated reliably.
                  >
                  > Why? The parser in 4.9 could identify all these things reliably and
                  > there are very simple rules what to put in their place. If you think
                  > about sources partially in new and partially in old code I agree, but
                  > else the old parser should manage just fine.
                  > (N.B: I want to learn here, not criticise.)
                  >
                  > Axel

                  In many of my clips, I build parts of the regex ^!Find or ^!Replace
                  command into variables. I don't see a conversion process taking care
                  of things like that. Previously mentioned negated character classes.
                  Potential conflicts with the syntax of regular expressions and
                  clipcode itself (both use many of the same symbols).

                • Sheri
                  Message 8 of 15 , Oct 11, 2006
                    Alec, It didn't show up yet for some reason, but I did post such a
                    clip. Axel, if you want to do it yourself, don't look :D

                    I guess it will post eventually. I also posted it in the group's
                    Yahoo files area in an htm file. Copy the two clips one at a time in
                    MSIE or Firefox with the IE Tab extension or you will get a space on
                    the empty lines between the clips.

                    Message 9 of 15 , Oct 12, 2006
                      buralex@... wrote:
                      > It sounds as if you probably have a pretty fair sample set
                      > yourself and a handle on what the differences are already?

                      Sorry to have mislead you there. My first ever clip roughly coincides
                      with my first message here, which was on Aug 31st this year. So I never
                      ever had to deal with the old syntax. It's just that being a newbie I
                      have read the helpfiles more closely and more often than an old hand
                      would and seen the differences listed.

                      Axel
                    • dave
                      Message 10 of 15 , Oct 13, 2006
                        Hi
                        thankyou all it now works.
                        THANKYOU DAVE M

                        >> You might try the 2 replacement lines below. In V5 'CRLF' is
                        >> now '\r\n' and backslash is replaced with '$' when designating
                        >> specific groups/units to use.
                        >>
                        >> If this doesn't work you might try changing the curly braces to
                        >> parens [...]
                        >
                        > Harvey is exactly right but all of the above are needed to convert the
                        > old regexp to new. Try substituting the appropriate lines with the
                        > ones below.
                        >
                        > ^!Replace "(\[.*\])\r\nartist=(.*)\r\ntitle=(.*)\r\n" >> "\r\nH="$2
                        > $3"\r\n$1\nartist=$2\r\ntitle=$3\r\n" AIRS
                        >
                        > ^!Replace "\r\nH=\".*\"\r\n" >> "^%Empty%" AIRS
                        >
                        > Regards,
                        > Sheri

                        > Yahoo! Groups Links

                      • Sheri
                        Message 11 of 15 , Oct 13, 2006
                          --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "dave" <dmc43959@...> wrote:
                          --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Sheri" <silvermoonwoman@...>
                          wrote:

                          > > ^!Replace "(\[.*\])\r\nartist=(.*)\r\ntitle=(.*)\r\n"
                          >> "\r\nH="$2
                          > > $3"\r\n$1\nartist=$2\r\ntitle=$3\r\n" AIRS
                          > >
                          > > ^!Replace "\r\nH=\".*\"\r\n" >> "^%Empty%" AIRS

                          Hi Dave,

                          I missed changing one of the \n's to \r\n in my "manual" conversion
                          which you quoted (above). You should change the \n in front of
                          artist= to \r\n. Sorry about that, it may not be reliable without
                          the change. Or try my conversion clips on the original (definitely
                          better than making spot changes as I did previously).