File listings

  • junja
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 10, 2006
      Occasionally, someone asks about obtaining listings of all
      files in a folder. A tip I learnt from a Russian whose name
      I forget is to use the attrib program supplied with Windows.
      For example, the 2k command line:
      ***
      c:\winnt\system32\attrib "c:\documents and settings\*.lnk"
      /s >> d:\shortcut.txt
      ***
      (all one line between the ***)
      will list all the shortcut (.lnk) files in c:\documents and
      settings\ and its subfolders (/s) to the file
      d:\shortcut.txt .
      Each line of the listing starts with the file's attributes
      (`A' meaning "archive" for instance), continues with the
      name of the .lnk file then its full name, path included. E.g.
      ***
      A intern~1.lnk e:\documents and
      settings\alluse~1\start menu\progra~1\net\internet explorer.lnk
      ***
      It may need some cleaning up and converting, but it can be
      handy.
      junja