Re: [Clip] Search & Replace ... but no replace

    Message 1 of 24 , Oct 8, 2006
      hsavage wrote:
      > that will probably get rid of most of your problems.

      It might. But I have had similar problems and if all those files already
      exist, loading them siongly into some nasty package is a pain - much
      better, faster and easier to do it in NoteTab. I have a TXT2HTML clip
      that deals with all the ideosyncracies in my files, which come from
      "save as text" out of an old and obsolete Atari wordprocessor in just
      one go.

      Axel
    • hsavage
      Message 2 of 24 , Oct 8, 2006
        Axel Berger wrote:
        > Robert Kelsey wrote:
        >> Anyone have any ideas?
        >
        > I could guess. But it would be better if could could save a short
        > example, ZIP it (to make sure it survives transport strictly as-is) and
        > attach it here.
        >
        > Axel

        Sorry guys,

        If you zip a sample you'll have to send it directly to Axel, no
        attachments are allowed on these lists.

        ºvº
        2006.10.08
        "Did the aliens forget to remove your anal probe?"
        hrs ø hsavage@...
      • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
        Message 3 of 24 , Oct 8, 2006
          I did this a while back for a librarian. The problem is that they are
          curly quotes in the orig and you want to replace with straight quotes.
        • adrien
          Message 4 of 24 , Oct 9, 2006
            Op zo, 08-10-2006 te 22:26 -0400, schreef Don - HtmlFixIt.com:
            > I did this a while back for a librarian. The problem is that they are
            > curly quotes in the orig and you want to replace with straight quotes.

            I think you can turn this off in Word itself. After done this, just
            search and replace in Word self.
            --
            adrien
          • Pat(kitPatH)
            Message 5 of 24 , Oct 9, 2006
              At 10/9/2006, you wrote:
              >1c. Search & Replace ... but no replace
              > Posted by: "Robert Kelsey" rdkelsey1113@... rdkelsey1113
              > Date: Sun Oct 8, 2006 4:48 pm (PDT)
              >
              >I have a regular chore that entails replacing characters generated by
              >other software, probably Word, where they do not display correctly
              >online, on web pages, in particular using Mozilla Firefox browser.
              >
              >When I try to do a search and replace via a clip everything works
              >fine EXCEPT for a few characters.
              >
              >The apostrophe which I try to replace with the character next to the
              >"enter" key
              >The double quotes which I try to replace with the shift of the key
              >next to the "enter" key.
              >
              >When I made the clip I did a copy/paste from the original document.
              >When I run the clip these items do not get replaced. I figure there
              >is some other actual character, or series of keystrokes, that represents them?
              >
              >Anyone have any ideas?

              Robert, if those nonstandard ascii characters show up in a "text" document, then
              look under nt's MODIFY menu. The last option should/might be "Convert to ascii"

              those nonstds show up mostly using the ansi. I do something similar in a brute force
              clip; adding "odd characters" as i find them.

              The trick is to never save as ascii before running the clip.

              Here's an example of what some of what I put into a H=replace nonascii chars - clip

              ;Accents mac and pc
              ^!Replace "ù" >> " -- " TWSA
              ^!Replace "—" >> " -- " TWSA
              ^!Replace "à" >> "a" TWSA
              ^!Replace "à" >> "a" CWSA
              ^!Replace "ç" >> "c" TWSA
              ^!Replace "á" >> "a" TWSA
              ^!Replace "á" >> "a" CWSA
              ^!Replace "â" >> "a" TWSA
              ^!Replace "Ô" >> "a" TWSA
              ^!Replace "é" >> "e" TWSA
              ^!Replace "Ú" >> "U" TWSA
              ^!Replace "ú" >> "u" TWSA
              ^!Replace "è" >> "e" TWSA
              ^!Replace "ê" >> "e" TWSA
              ^!Replace "ë" >> "e" TWSA
              ^!Replace "þ" >> "E" TWSA
              ^!Replace "É" >> "E" TWSA
              ^!Replace "È" >> "E" TWSA
              ^!Replace "Ê" >> "E" TWSA
              ^!Replace "î" >> "i" TWSA
              ^!Replace "í" >> "i" TWSA
              ^!Replace "÷" >> "o" TWSA
              ^!Replace "Ó" >> "o" TWSA
              ^!Replace "ó" >> "o" TWSA
              ^!Replace "ñ" >> "n" TWSA
              ^!Replace "Ñ" >> "N" TWSA
              ^!Replace "û" >> "u" TWSA
              ^!Replace "ù" >> "u" TWSA
              ^!Replace "ü" >> "u" TWSA
              ^!Replace "Æ" >> "'" TSA
              ^!Replace "æ" >> "'" TSA

              ;html
              ^!Replace "=46" >> "F" TWSA
              ^!Replace "=E9" >> "e" TWSA
              ^!Replace "=EA" >> "e" TWSA
              ^!Replace "=AE" >> "®" TWSA
              ^!Replace "?iso-8859-1?Q?" >> "" TWSA
              ^!Replace "=B0" >> "" TWSA
              ^!Replace "=20^P" >> ^P TWSA

              ;Other TCIBGWHRSA
              ^!Replace "•" >> "*" CWSA
              ^!Replace "•" >> "*" CWSA
              ^!Replace "ò" >> "*" CWSA
              ^!Replace " and " >> " and " CWSA
              ^!Replace ’ >> ' TWSA
              ^!Replace ‘ >> ' TWSA
              ^!Replace ` >> ' TWSA
              ^!Replace “ >> " TWSA
              ^!Replace ” >> " TWSA
            • Pat
              Message 6 of 24 , Oct 9, 2006

                A second window!!!
                Thank you once again for finding the easiest solution.
                Much appreciated! pat

                **********
                H="Display Announcement 2nd Window"
                ; source unknown modified by "hsavage" 2006-10-08
                ^!SAVE
                ^!Open "C:\Documents and Settings\.....etc...\announcement.txt"
                ^!Menu Document/Second Window
                **********

                Cursor is in the template window where I can copy a stock-phrase if
                need be..
              • Pat
                Message 7 of 24 , Oct 9, 2006
                  If it's just the curly quotes, again I use the brute force. and if
                  they are being replacing, I convert doc to ansi and try again. =pat

                  ****
                  H="Replace MS-quotes"
                  ^!Replace " >> " TWAS
                  ^!Replace " >> " TWAS
                  ^!Replace ">> " TWAS
                  ^!Replace ">> " TWAS
                  ^!Replace '>> ' TWAS
                  ****
                • Don Daugherty
                  Message 8 of 24 , Oct 9, 2006
                    Robert Kelsey wrote:
                    > When I made the clip I did a copy/paste from the original document.
                    > When I run the clip these items do not get replaced. I figure there
                    > is some other actual character, or series of keystrokes, that represents them?
                    >
                    > Anyone have any ideas?

                    You might be able to find out what the actual character is via a
                    variation on the following sample
                    ^!Continue —=^$CharToDec("—")$
                    The odd character appeared as a solid black square in NTP, as a very
                    long dash in my email program, and turns out to have a code of 151, as
                    revealed by the above clip line. Perhaps you can copy each character
                    (one at a time) into the above clip and execute it to found out it's
                    code number. If so, you could do a conversion similar to this example
                    ^!Replace "^$CharToDec("—")$" >> "--"
                  • Robert Kelsey
                    Message 9 of 24 , Oct 10, 2006
                      Hi All,

                      I zipped a file off to you Axel, thanks for the offer. It has some of
                      the problem characters.

                      I guess I brought up quite an issue with this situation. It appears
                      there is more to it than originally thought.

                      I appreciate the accented character changes as well.

                      As much as it probably portrays us Americans as uncaring about
                      another languages spellings or use of characters, for my own search
                      engine listing needs, I really need to omit the accented characters.
                      I don't think many Americans will search utilizing accented
                      characters, and I don't think Google handles that, as a for instance
                      saute with the accented e.

                      Anyone have insight on how Google USA handles accented words and if
                      it would return a file with saute or saute with the accented e?

                      --Robert Kelsey

                      At 08:19 PM10/8/2006, you wrote:

                      >Robert Kelsey wrote:
                      > > Anyone have any ideas?
                      >
                      >I could guess. But it would be better if could could save a short
                      >example, ZIP it (to make sure it survives transport strictly as-is) and
                      >attach it here.
                      >
                      >Axel

                    • Hugo
                      Message 10 of 24 , Oct 10, 2006
                        > Anyone have insight on how Google USA handles accented words and if
                        > it would return a file with saute or saute with the accented e?
                        >
                        > --Robert Kelsey

                        Hi Robert,

                        The results differ:

                        http://www.google.com/search?q=saut%C3%A9
                        http://www.google.com/search?q=saute

                        Hugo
                        Message 11 of 24 , Oct 10, 2006
                          Robert Kelsey wrote:
                          > It appears there is more to it than originally thought.

                          I must admit that up to now I had not seen what the fuss was about. It
                          seems this is an undocumented quirk if not a bug in NoteTab. First off
                          for all those, who don't get it messed up on the way, this is the
                          example I was sent:

                          You don’t have to be a veterinarian to be able to be part of “Connecting
                          Animals to People…”
                          Anyway, I am sure you get the picture. Basically, he wanted business
                          cards and his little slogan is “Jack-Of-All-Trades”.
                          - When you're at the hospital, there is one way to find the north tunnel
                          without heading to the south wing first
                          - One way that people have been able to find the Veterinary Hospice is
                          ‘Yellow Page'.

                          Just using <Ctrl<<C> <Ctrl><V> and the menu function <Ctrl><R> worked
                          perfectly as expected. So I tried the obvious (i.e. copied the offending
                          characters into the clip):

                          ^!Replace "“" >> """ WA
                          ^!Replace "”" >> """ WA
                          ^!Replace "…" >> "..." WA
                          ^!Replace "‘" >> "'" WA
                          ^!Replace "´" >> "'" WA

                          No luck. Next I opened the file in a hex viewer and tried this:

                          ^!Replace "\x93" >> """ WRA
                          ^!Replace "\x94" >> """ WRA
                          ^!Replace "\x85" >> "..." WRA
                          ^!Replace "\x92" >> "'" WA
                          ^!Replace "\x91" >> "'" WA

                          It worked for the double quotes and the triple dot, but not the single
                          quotes. No idea why. Then finally I did it this way:

                          ^!Replace "^P" >> "<BR>" WA
                          ^!MENU Modify/Characters to HTML/Extended Characters
                          ^!Replace "‘" >> "'" WA
                          ^!Replace "’" >> "'" WA
                          ^!Replace "“" >> """ WA
                          ^!Replace "”" >> """ WA
                          ^!Replace "…" >> "..." WA
                          ^!MENU Modify/Strip HTML Tags/Preserve URLs

                          This works, but depending on what else there is in the text, especially
                          tags, can have all kinds of side effects.

                          Message 12 of 24 , Oct 10, 2006
                            Robert Kelsey wrote:
                            > for my own search engine listing needs, I really need to omit
                            > the accented characters.

                            Quite. I just wanted to say this was not a good suggestion for the
                            general case.

                            > Anyone have insight on how Google USA handles accented words

                            They are quite clever in this way. Whenever I enter an accented (German)
                            character in a word they will find only that, iirc. But with French and
                            other accents not directly accessible to my keyboard I don't bother and
                            enter just the base letter. They then find all the accented versions as
                            well. So well done Google, that's exactly how this customer likes it.

                            Axel
                          • Don Daugherty
                            Message 13 of 24 , Oct 10, 2006
                              Don Daugherty wrote:
                              > You might be able to find out what the actual character is via a
                              > variation on the following sample
                              > ^!Continue —=^$CharToDec("—")$
                              > The odd character appeared as a solid black square in NTP, as a very
                              > long dash in my email program, and turns out to have a code of 151, as
                              > revealed by the above clip line. Perhaps you can copy each character
                              > (one at a time) into the above clip and execute it to found out it's
                              > code number. If so, you could do a conversion similar to this example
                              > ^!Replace "^$CharToDec("—")$" >> "--"

                              Excuse the "Dumb Attack" in the last line above. It could properly be
                              any one of the following:
                              ^!Replace "^$DecToChar(151)$" >> "whatever I want"
                              ^!Replace "—" >> "whatever I want"
                              ^!Replace "^$DecToChar(^$CharToDec("—")$)$" >> "whatever I want"
                              Message 14 of 24 , Oct 10, 2006
                                Don Daugherty wrote:
                                > ^!Replace "—" >> "whatever I want"
                                > ^!Replace "^$DecToChar(^$CharToDec("—")$)$" >> "whatever I want"

                                Well the first of those doesn't work as I said already and the second
                                doesn't either. The problem is that when you paste certain characters
                                into the clip they are not found. I really think this is a bug.

                                Axel
                              • Don Daugherty
                                Message 15 of 24 , Oct 10, 2006
                                  Axel Berger wrote:
                                  > Don Daugherty wrote:
                                  >
                                  >> ^!Replace "—" >> "whatever I want"
                                  >> ^!Replace "^$DecToChar(^$CharToDec("—")$)$" >> "whatever I want"
                                  >>

                                  > Well the first of those doesn't work as I said already and the second
                                  > doesn't either. The problem is that when you paste certain characters
                                  > into the clip they are not found. I really think this is a bug.
                                  >
                                  > Axel

                                  That's really strange. I guess the multiple ways of coding characters
                                  represents a challenge that hasn't been fully conquered in NTP, et. al.
                                  I assume you are copying the character after it has been read into
                                  NoteTab (rather in the original application) so that whatever internal
                                  processing NoteTab has already done is reflected in the copy.

                                  Does pressing Shift-F12 make any difference in the appearance in the
                                  neighborhood of the character in question (indicating there is some
                                  hidden character that is part of the its total code?)

                                  The scheme I outlined does work for me in my application where I take a
                                  pdf file, save it as text in Adobe Reader, and than process that in
                                  NoteTab, but I certainly can believe that your case can be significantly
                                  different. If I get any other ideas I'll pass them along. Good luck.

                                  P.S.
                                  I just tried something that I think was suggested by someone else. I
                                  loaded the text version of the pdf file I mentioned above, and manually
                                  performed the equivalently ^!Menu "Modify/Characters To HTML/Extended
                                  Characters". The resulting code for my "Square box", which appeared as a
                                  very long dash in the email, was — and the code for a non-standard
                                  quote or apostrophe was ’ I don't know whether this could be of
                                  use in your problem, but if it does anything unique then perhaps you
                                  could do a series of find and replace operations on the resulting new codes.
                                • Don Daugherty
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Oct 10, 2006
                                    Axel Berger wrote:
                                    > The problem is that when you paste certain characters
                                    > into the clip they are not found. I really think this is a bug.
                                    >
                                    > Axel

                                    One more observation:
                                    When I clicked on Modify in the menu I noticed an item "Convert to Ascii
                                    Text". I clicked that and my special characters changed to new ones.
                                    Also I discovered that the menu item had changed to "Convert to Ansi
                                    Text". Clicking that seemed to change it back to what I started with.
                                  • Alec Burgess
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Oct 10, 2006
                                      Axel, Robert (hsavage):
                                      Or upload the file to the files area of this group so other interested
                                      parties can have a look as well
                                      Regards ... Alec -- buralex-gmail

                                      Message 18 of 24 , Oct 10, 2006
                                        Don Daugherty wrote:
                                        > Does pressing Shift-F12 make any difference in the appearance in the
                                        > neighborhood of the character in question (indicating there is some
                                        > hidden character that is part of the its total code?)

                                        None at all (I have that turned on permanently anyway). As I said, I
                                        have looked at the file in a hex viewer and, more importantly, pasting
                                        into the replace menu dialogue works. It is a quirk in clips and only
                                        there.

                                        > but I certainly can believe that your case can be significantly
                                        > different.

                                        Everything works as expected with most special characters, it's just
                                        some that are bothersome.

                                        If I get any other ideas I'll pass them along. Good luck.

                                        > I don't know whether this could be of use in your problem

                                        Erm, you did see my message from "Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 13:40:49
                                        +0200"?
                                        I had already solved the problem and using exactly that way. The problem
                                        here is that after dealing with the problem cases you need to undo the
                                        "Characters to HTML" by a "Strip HTML Tags" and depending on what else
                                        there is in the file this may produce unwanted effects. It will destroy
                                        linefeeds, I had to treat them specially anyway.