Re: [Clip] allowing message box display while typing in doc window

  • hsavage
    Message 1 of 24 , Oct 8, 2006
      Pat(kitPatH) wrote:
      > Hi,
      > wondering if there is any way in ntp 4.95 to
      > edit the doc I'm working on WHILE I have the example
      > displayed by a clip....
      >
      > it's not complicated enough for a template or form fill.
      > so I just use the clip to display the usual words.
      >
      > i suppose i could take a screen shot and have the clip get
      > irfanview to display it but....
      >
      > if ntp allows activity in the edit window WHILE showing the clip, that
      > would be great!
      >
      > TIA -- pat

      Pat,

      After sending the email I located 2 other clips that should work along
      with the first. From the names I assume the clips are to re-sync the
      files and add the edits to both copies of the file to reflect changes
      you've made.

      BTW, it looks as if Jody created these clips for all to use.

      ***********************
      H="Second Window Edit"
      ; modified, source unknown
      ^!ClearVariables
      ^!ShowClipbook 0
      ^!Set %file%=^?{(T=O)FILE TO EDIT IN SECOND WINDOW=^##}
      ^!Close SAVE
      ^!Open ^%file%
      ^!Set %file1%=^$GetName(^##)$^$GetExt(^##)$
      ^!Save AS Original_^%file1%
      ^!Menu Document/Read-Only
      ^!Menu File/New
      ^!Menu Document/Second Window
      ^!InsertFile "^%file%"
      ^!Save AS ^%file%
      ^!Jump 1

      H="Restart"
      ; Last Updated 01/28/2000, Sojourner@..., jody
      ^!Set %Start%=1
      ^!Clip "Sync Second Window"

      H="_Sync Second Window"
      ; Last Updated 01/28/2000, Sojourner@..., jody
      ; Requires ver. 4.8
      ^!IfTrue ^%Start% ReStart else Next
      ^!IfTrue ^$IsReadOnly$ Skip
      ^!Keyboard Alt+D O
      ^!SetClipboard ^$GetText$
      ^!Toolbar Paste New
      ^!Keyboard Shift+Ctrl+W
      ^!Keyboard Shift+Ctrl+G
      :RESTART
      ^!Set %Cursor%=^$GetRow$:^$GetCol$
      ^!Set %ViewTop%=^$GetRowTop$:^$GetColLeft$
      ^!Set %Start%=0; %Row%=^$GetRow$
      ^!Keyboard Shift+Ctrl+G
      ^!SetView ^%ViewTop%
      ^!SetCursor ^%Cursor%
      ; ^!SetView ^%Cursor%
      ^!Jump Line_Start
      :LOOP
      ^!SetHintInfo Press Ctrl+Alt to stop sync
      ^!Delay 5
      ^!If ^$Calc(^%Row%+5)$ < ^$GetRow$ Next else Skip_-1
      ^!Set %Cursor%=^$GetRow$:^$GetCol$; %Row%=^$GetRow$
      ^!SetScreenUpdate Off
      ^!Keyboard Shift+Ctrl+G
      ^!SetScreenUpdate On
      ^!SetCursor ^%Cursor%
      ; ^!SetView ^%ViewTop%
      ^!SetView ^%Cursor%
      ^!Jump LINE_START
      ^!Goto Loop
      *******************************

      ºvº
      2006.10.08
      -Newspaper HeadLine...
      "Deer Kill 17,000"
      hrs ø hsavage@...
    • hsavage
      Message 2 of 24 , Oct 8, 2006
        Robert Kelsey wrote:
        > Hello All,
        >
        > I have a regular chore that entails replacing characters generated by
        > other software, probably Word, where they do not display correctly
        > online, on web pages, in particular using Mozilla Firefox browser.
        >
        > When I try to do a search and replace via a clip everything works
        > fine EXCEPT for a few characters.
        >
        > Anyone have any ideas?
        > --Robert Kelsey

        Robert,

        Don't know of any readily available character charts but, I would
        recommend loading each of the Word files into Word and save as text
        files, that will probably get rid of most of your problems. It will, at
        least, get rid of all the Word formatting stuff and make your job a
        little easier.

        ºvº
        2006.10.08
        "Did the aliens forget to remove your anal probe?"
        hrs ø hsavage@...
        Message 3 of 24 , Oct 8, 2006
          Robert Kelsey wrote:
          > Anyone have any ideas?

          I could guess. But it would be better if could could save a short
          example, ZIP it (to make sure it survives transport strictly as-is) and
          attach it here.

          Message 4 of 24 , Oct 8, 2006
            hsavage wrote:
            > that will probably get rid of most of your problems.

            It might. But I have had similar problems and if all those files already
            exist, loading them siongly into some nasty package is a pain - much
            better, faster and easier to do it in NoteTab. I have a TXT2HTML clip
            that deals with all the ideosyncracies in my files, which come from
            "save as text" out of an old and obsolete Atari wordprocessor in just
            one go.

            Axel
          • hsavage
            Message 5 of 24 , Oct 8, 2006
              Axel Berger wrote:
              > Robert Kelsey wrote:
              >> Anyone have any ideas?
              >
              > I could guess. But it would be better if could could save a short
              > example, ZIP it (to make sure it survives transport strictly as-is) and
              > attach it here.
              >
              > Axel

              Sorry guys,

              If you zip a sample you'll have to send it directly to Axel, no
              attachments are allowed on these lists.

              ºvº
              2006.10.08
              "Did the aliens forget to remove your anal probe?"
              hrs ø hsavage@...
            • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
              Message 6 of 24 , Oct 8, 2006
                I did this a while back for a librarian. The problem is that they are
                curly quotes in the orig and you want to replace with straight quotes.
              • adrien
                Message 7 of 24 , Oct 9, 2006
                  Op zo, 08-10-2006 te 22:26 -0400, schreef Don - HtmlFixIt.com:
                  > I did this a while back for a librarian. The problem is that they are
                  > curly quotes in the orig and you want to replace with straight quotes.

                  I think you can turn this off in Word itself. After done this, just
                  search and replace in Word self.
                  --
                  adrien
                • Pat(kitPatH)
                  Message 8 of 24 , Oct 9, 2006
                    At 10/9/2006, you wrote:
                    >1c. Search & Replace ... but no replace
                    > Posted by: "Robert Kelsey" rdkelsey1113@... rdkelsey1113
                    > Date: Sun Oct 8, 2006 4:48 pm (PDT)
                    >
                    >I have a regular chore that entails replacing characters generated by
                    >other software, probably Word, where they do not display correctly
                    >online, on web pages, in particular using Mozilla Firefox browser.
                    >
                    >When I try to do a search and replace via a clip everything works
                    >fine EXCEPT for a few characters.
                    >
                    >The apostrophe which I try to replace with the character next to the
                    >"enter" key
                    >The double quotes which I try to replace with the shift of the key
                    >next to the "enter" key.
                    >
                    >When I made the clip I did a copy/paste from the original document.
                    >When I run the clip these items do not get replaced. I figure there
                    >is some other actual character, or series of keystrokes, that represents them?
                    >
                    >Anyone have any ideas?

                    Robert, if those nonstandard ascii characters show up in a "text" document, then
                    look under nt's MODIFY menu. The last option should/might be "Convert to ascii"

                    those nonstds show up mostly using the ansi. I do something similar in a brute force
                    clip; adding "odd characters" as i find them.

                    The trick is to never save as ascii before running the clip.

                    Here's an example of what some of what I put into a H=replace nonascii chars - clip

                    ;Accents mac and pc
                    ^!Replace "ù" >> " -- " TWSA
                    ^!Replace "—" >> " -- " TWSA
                    ^!Replace "à" >> "a" TWSA
                    ^!Replace "à" >> "a" CWSA
                    ^!Replace "ç" >> "c" TWSA
                    ^!Replace "á" >> "a" TWSA
                    ^!Replace "á" >> "a" CWSA
                    ^!Replace "â" >> "a" TWSA
                    ^!Replace "Ô" >> "a" TWSA
                    ^!Replace "é" >> "e" TWSA
                    ^!Replace "Ú" >> "U" TWSA
                    ^!Replace "ú" >> "u" TWSA
                    ^!Replace "è" >> "e" TWSA
                    ^!Replace "ê" >> "e" TWSA
                    ^!Replace "ë" >> "e" TWSA
                    ^!Replace "þ" >> "E" TWSA
                    ^!Replace "É" >> "E" TWSA
                    ^!Replace "È" >> "E" TWSA
                    ^!Replace "Ê" >> "E" TWSA
                    ^!Replace "î" >> "i" TWSA
                    ^!Replace "í" >> "i" TWSA
                    ^!Replace "÷" >> "o" TWSA
                    ^!Replace "Ó" >> "o" TWSA
                    ^!Replace "ó" >> "o" TWSA
                    ^!Replace "ñ" >> "n" TWSA
                    ^!Replace "Ñ" >> "N" TWSA
                    ^!Replace "û" >> "u" TWSA
                    ^!Replace "ù" >> "u" TWSA
                    ^!Replace "ü" >> "u" TWSA
                    ^!Replace "Æ" >> "'" TSA
                    ^!Replace "æ" >> "'" TSA

                    ;html
                    ^!Replace "=46" >> "F" TWSA
                    ^!Replace "=E9" >> "e" TWSA
                    ^!Replace "=EA" >> "e" TWSA
                    ^!Replace "=AE" >> "®" TWSA
                    ^!Replace "?iso-8859-1?Q?" >> "" TWSA
                    ^!Replace "=B0" >> "" TWSA
                    ^!Replace "=20^P" >> ^P TWSA

                    ;Other TCIBGWHRSA
                    ^!Replace "•" >> "*" CWSA
                    ^!Replace "•" >> "*" CWSA
                    ^!Replace "ò" >> "*" CWSA
                    ^!Replace " and " >> " and " CWSA
                    ^!Replace ’ >> ' TWSA
                    ^!Replace ‘ >> ' TWSA
                    ^!Replace ` >> ' TWSA
                    ^!Replace “ >> " TWSA
                    ^!Replace ” >> " TWSA
                  • Pat
                    Message 9 of 24 , Oct 9, 2006

                      A second window!!!
                      Thank you once again for finding the easiest solution.
                      Much appreciated! pat

                      **********
                      H="Display Announcement 2nd Window"
                      ; source unknown modified by "hsavage" 2006-10-08
                      ^!SAVE
                      ^!Open "C:\Documents and Settings\.....etc...\announcement.txt"
                      ^!Menu Document/Second Window
                      **********

                      Cursor is in the template window where I can copy a stock-phrase if
                      need be..
                    • Pat
                      Message 10 of 24 , Oct 9, 2006
                        If it's just the curly quotes, again I use the brute force. and if
                        they are being replacing, I convert doc to ansi and try again. =pat

                        ****
                        H="Replace MS-quotes"
                        ^!Replace " >> " TWAS
                        ^!Replace " >> " TWAS
                        ^!Replace ">> " TWAS
                        ^!Replace ">> " TWAS
                        ^!Replace '>> ' TWAS
                        ****
                      • Don Daugherty
                        Message 11 of 24 , Oct 9, 2006
                          Robert Kelsey wrote:
                          > When I made the clip I did a copy/paste from the original document.
                          > When I run the clip these items do not get replaced. I figure there
                          > is some other actual character, or series of keystrokes, that represents them?
                          >
                          > Anyone have any ideas?

                          You might be able to find out what the actual character is via a
                          variation on the following sample
                          ^!Continue —=^$CharToDec("—")$
                          The odd character appeared as a solid black square in NTP, as a very
                          long dash in my email program, and turns out to have a code of 151, as
                          revealed by the above clip line. Perhaps you can copy each character
                          (one at a time) into the above clip and execute it to found out it's
                          code number. If so, you could do a conversion similar to this example
                          ^!Replace "^$CharToDec("—")$" >> "--"
                        • Robert Kelsey
                          Message 12 of 24 , Oct 10, 2006
                            Hi All,

                            I zipped a file off to you Axel, thanks for the offer. It has some of
                            the problem characters.

                            I guess I brought up quite an issue with this situation. It appears
                            there is more to it than originally thought.

                            I appreciate the accented character changes as well.

                            As much as it probably portrays us Americans as uncaring about
                            another languages spellings or use of characters, for my own search
                            engine listing needs, I really need to omit the accented characters.
                            I don't think many Americans will search utilizing accented
                            characters, and I don't think Google handles that, as a for instance
                            saute with the accented e.

                            Anyone have insight on how Google USA handles accented words and if
                            it would return a file with saute or saute with the accented e?

                            --Robert Kelsey

                            At 08:19 PM10/8/2006, you wrote:

                            >Robert Kelsey wrote:
                            > > Anyone have any ideas?
                            >
                            >I could guess. But it would be better if could could save a short
                            >example, ZIP it (to make sure it survives transport strictly as-is) and
                            >attach it here.
                            >
                            >Axel

                          • Hugo
                            Message 13 of 24 , Oct 10, 2006
                              > Anyone have insight on how Google USA handles accented words and if
                              > it would return a file with saute or saute with the accented e?
                              >
                              > --Robert Kelsey

                              Hi Robert,

                              The results differ:

                              http://www.google.com/search?q=saut%C3%A9
                              http://www.google.com/search?q=saute

                              Hugo
                              Message 14 of 24 , Oct 10, 2006
                                Robert Kelsey wrote:
                                > It appears there is more to it than originally thought.

                                I must admit that up to now I had not seen what the fuss was about. It
                                seems this is an undocumented quirk if not a bug in NoteTab. First off
                                for all those, who don't get it messed up on the way, this is the
                                example I was sent:

                                You don’t have to be a veterinarian to be able to be part of “Connecting
                                Animals to People…”
                                Anyway, I am sure you get the picture. Basically, he wanted business
                                cards and his little slogan is “Jack-Of-All-Trades”.
                                - When you're at the hospital, there is one way to find the north tunnel
                                without heading to the south wing first
                                - One way that people have been able to find the Veterinary Hospice is
                                ‘Yellow Page'.

                                Just using <Ctrl<<C> <Ctrl><V> and the menu function <Ctrl><R> worked
                                perfectly as expected. So I tried the obvious (i.e. copied the offending
                                characters into the clip):

                                ^!Replace "“" >> """ WA
                                ^!Replace "”" >> """ WA
                                ^!Replace "…" >> "..." WA
                                ^!Replace "‘" >> "'" WA
                                ^!Replace "´" >> "'" WA

                                No luck. Next I opened the file in a hex viewer and tried this:

                                ^!Replace "\x93" >> """ WRA
                                ^!Replace "\x94" >> """ WRA
                                ^!Replace "\x85" >> "..." WRA
                                ^!Replace "\x92" >> "'" WA
                                ^!Replace "\x91" >> "'" WA

                                It worked for the double quotes and the triple dot, but not the single
                                quotes. No idea why. Then finally I did it this way:

                                ^!Replace "^P" >> "<BR>" WA
                                ^!MENU Modify/Characters to HTML/Extended Characters
                                ^!Replace "‘" >> "'" WA
                                ^!Replace "’" >> "'" WA
                                ^!Replace "“" >> """ WA
                                ^!Replace "”" >> """ WA
                                ^!Replace "…" >> "..." WA
                                ^!MENU Modify/Strip HTML Tags/Preserve URLs

                                This works, but depending on what else there is in the text, especially
                                tags, can have all kinds of side effects.

                                Message 15 of 24 , Oct 10, 2006
                                  Robert Kelsey wrote:
                                  > for my own search engine listing needs, I really need to omit
                                  > the accented characters.

                                  Quite. I just wanted to say this was not a good suggestion for the
                                  general case.

                                  > Anyone have insight on how Google USA handles accented words

                                  They are quite clever in this way. Whenever I enter an accented (German)
                                  character in a word they will find only that, iirc. But with French and
                                  other accents not directly accessible to my keyboard I don't bother and
                                  enter just the base letter. They then find all the accented versions as
                                  well. So well done Google, that's exactly how this customer likes it.

                                  Axel
                                • Don Daugherty
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Oct 10, 2006
                                    Don Daugherty wrote:
                                    > You might be able to find out what the actual character is via a
                                    > variation on the following sample
                                    > ^!Continue —=^$CharToDec("—")$
                                    > The odd character appeared as a solid black square in NTP, as a very
                                    > long dash in my email program, and turns out to have a code of 151, as
                                    > revealed by the above clip line. Perhaps you can copy each character
                                    > (one at a time) into the above clip and execute it to found out it's
                                    > code number. If so, you could do a conversion similar to this example
                                    > ^!Replace "^$CharToDec("—")$" >> "--"

                                    Excuse the "Dumb Attack" in the last line above. It could properly be
                                    any one of the following:
                                    ^!Replace "^$DecToChar(151)$" >> "whatever I want"
                                    ^!Replace "—" >> "whatever I want"
                                    ^!Replace "^$DecToChar(^$CharToDec("—")$)$" >> "whatever I want"
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Oct 10, 2006
                                      Don Daugherty wrote:
                                      > ^!Replace "—" >> "whatever I want"
                                      > ^!Replace "^$DecToChar(^$CharToDec("—")$)$" >> "whatever I want"

                                      Well the first of those doesn't work as I said already and the second
                                      doesn't either. The problem is that when you paste certain characters
                                      into the clip they are not found. I really think this is a bug.

                                      Axel
                                    • Don Daugherty
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Oct 10, 2006
                                        Axel Berger wrote:
                                        > Don Daugherty wrote:
                                        >
                                        >> ^!Replace "—" >> "whatever I want"
                                        >> ^!Replace "^$DecToChar(^$CharToDec("—")$)$" >> "whatever I want"
                                        >>

                                        > Well the first of those doesn't work as I said already and the second
                                        > doesn't either. The problem is that when you paste certain characters
                                        > into the clip they are not found. I really think this is a bug.
                                        >
                                        > Axel

                                        That's really strange. I guess the multiple ways of coding characters
                                        represents a challenge that hasn't been fully conquered in NTP, et. al.
                                        I assume you are copying the character after it has been read into
                                        NoteTab (rather in the original application) so that whatever internal
                                        processing NoteTab has already done is reflected in the copy.

                                        Does pressing Shift-F12 make any difference in the appearance in the
                                        neighborhood of the character in question (indicating there is some
                                        hidden character that is part of the its total code?)

                                        The scheme I outlined does work for me in my application where I take a
                                        pdf file, save it as text in Adobe Reader, and than process that in
                                        NoteTab, but I certainly can believe that your case can be significantly
                                        different. If I get any other ideas I'll pass them along. Good luck.

                                        P.S.
                                        I just tried something that I think was suggested by someone else. I
                                        loaded the text version of the pdf file I mentioned above, and manually
                                        performed the equivalently ^!Menu "Modify/Characters To HTML/Extended
                                        Characters". The resulting code for my "Square box", which appeared as a
                                        very long dash in the email, was — and the code for a non-standard
                                        quote or apostrophe was ’ I don't know whether this could be of
                                        use in your problem, but if it does anything unique then perhaps you
                                        could do a series of find and replace operations on the resulting new codes.
                                      • Don Daugherty
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Oct 10, 2006
                                          Axel Berger wrote:
                                          > The problem is that when you paste certain characters
                                          > into the clip they are not found. I really think this is a bug.
                                          >
                                          > Axel

                                          One more observation:
                                          When I clicked on Modify in the menu I noticed an item "Convert to Ascii
                                          Text". I clicked that and my special characters changed to new ones.
                                          Also I discovered that the menu item had changed to "Convert to Ansi
                                          Text". Clicking that seemed to change it back to what I started with.
                                        • Alec Burgess
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Oct 10, 2006
                                            Axel, Robert (hsavage):
                                            Or upload the file to the files area of this group so other interested
                                            parties can have a look as well
                                            Regards ... Alec -- buralex-gmail

                                            Message 21 of 24 , Oct 10, 2006
                                              Don Daugherty wrote:
                                              > Does pressing Shift-F12 make any difference in the appearance in the
                                              > neighborhood of the character in question (indicating there is some
                                              > hidden character that is part of the its total code?)

                                              None at all (I have that turned on permanently anyway). As I said, I
                                              have looked at the file in a hex viewer and, more importantly, pasting
                                              into the replace menu dialogue works. It is a quirk in clips and only
                                              there.

                                              > but I certainly can believe that your case can be significantly
                                              > different.

                                              Everything works as expected with most special characters, it's just
                                              some that are bothersome.

                                              If I get any other ideas I'll pass them along. Good luck.

                                              > I don't know whether this could be of use in your problem

                                              Erm, you did see my message from "Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 13:40:49
                                              +0200"?
                                              I had already solved the problem and using exactly that way. The problem
                                              here is that after dealing with the problem cases you need to undo the
                                              "Characters to HTML" by a "Strip HTML Tags" and depending on what else
                                              there is in the file this may produce unwanted effects. It will destroy
                                              linefeeds, I had to treat them specially anyway.