Re: [Clip] Re: Totalling using clipboard

  • hsavage
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 2, 2006
      mblattyh wrote:
      > --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "dvdwriters12" <dvdwriters@...>
      > wrote:
      >> Does anyone know or have a clip to sum up values you copy to the
      > clipboard and return the result in the clipboard ?
      >
      > I'd think the clip would be dependent on the format/layout of the
      > numbers you copy to the clipboard. I had a need to sum numbers that
      > were in a row, separated by spaces.

      dvdwriters12,

      A valid point is made above, much depends on the format, row/column/etc.
      of the numbers you want to sum. If they are in a row, we need the
      separator/delimiter.

      Below is a quickly written clip to sum columnar numbers. You can delete
      or rem out the ^!Info [L] line if you don't need a visual display.

      **********************
      H="Sum Selected Column To ClipBoard"
      ;_ Modified-Updated~Created_20061002
      ;_ hrs ø hsavage·pobox·com_12:58:50p
      ^!SetScreenUpdate 0
      ;
      ^!SetClipboard ^$StrTrim("^$GetSelection$")$
      ^!ToolBar Paste NEW
      ^!Menu Modify/Lines/Compress
      ;^!Menu Modify/Alignment/Left Align
      ^!Set %var%=^$StrReplace("^p";"+";"^$GetSelection$";0;0)$
      ^!SetClipboard ^$Calc(^%var%;0)$
      ^!Close DISCARD
      ^!Info [L]^$GetClipboard$
      **********************

      ºvº
      2006.10.02
      -Newspaper HeadLine...
      "British Left Waffles on Falkland Islands"
      hrs ø hsavage@...
    • hsavage
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 2, 2006
        hsavage wrote:
        > mblattyh wrote:
        >> --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "dvdwriters12" <dvdwriters@...>
        >> wrote:
        >>> Does anyone know or have a clip to sum up values you copy to the
        >> clipboard and return the result in the clipboard ?
        >>
        >> I'd think the clip would be dependent on the format/layout of the
        >> numbers you copy to the clipboard. I had a need to sum numbers that
        >> were in a row, separated by spaces.
        >
        > dvdwriters12,
        >
        > A valid point is made above, much depends on the format, row/column/etc.
        > of the numbers you want to sum. If they are in a row, we need the
        > separator/delimiter.
        >
        > Below is a quickly written clip to sum columnar numbers. You can delete
        > or rem out the ^!Info [L] line if you don't need a visual display.

        dvdwriters12,

        Below is a slightly modified clip to return focus to the document the
        numbers were copied from.

        **********************
        H="Sum Columns To ClipBoard"
        ;_ Modified-Updated~Created_20061002
        ;_ hrs ø hsavage·pobox·com_12:58:50p
        ^!SetScreenUpdate 0
        ^!Set %doc_idx%=^$GetExpandedName(^##)$
        ;
        ^!SetClipboard ^$StrTrim("^$GetSelection$")$
        ^!ToolBar Paste NEW
        ^!Menu Modify/Lines/Compress
        ;^!Menu Modify/Alignment/Left Align
        ^!Set %var%=^$StrReplace("^p";"+";"^$GetSelection$";0;0)$
        ^!SetClipboard ^$Calc(^%var%;0)$
        ^!Close DISCARD
        ^!SetDocIndex ^$GetDocIndex(^%doc_idx%)$
        ^!Info [L]^$GetClipboard$
        **********************

        ºvº
        2006.10.02
        -Newspaper HeadLine...
        "British Left Waffles on Falkland Islands"
        hrs ø hsavage@...
      • dvdwriters12
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 2, 2006
          Thanks,

          I should have been more clear.

          Suppose I am working in another document and we have a price list:

          £521.12

          £100

          £37.02

          £912.11

          £0.99

          TOTAL = £

          etc.

          I want to copy each price into the clipboard and have notetab in the
          background accumulate the value and return the result in the
          clipboard, without me switching to notetab.

          Ive tried but I dont think its possible.
        • hsavage
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 2, 2006
            dvdwriters12 wrote:
            > Thanks,
            >
            > I should have been more clear.
            >
            > Suppose I am working in another document and we have a price list:
            >
            > £521.12
            >
            > £100
            >
            > £37.02
            >
            > £912.11
            >
            > £0.99
            >
            > TOTAL = £
            >
            > etc.
            >
            > I want to copy each price into the clipboard and have notetab in the
            > background accumulate the value and return the result in the
            > clipboard, without me switching to notetab.
            >
            > Ive tried but I dont think its possible.

            dvdwriters12,

            A few questions.

            Do you want to select each number individually or a column of numbers?

            Are the numbers always in a column, as in the example?

            Are the numbers always at the left margin as in the example?

            Will the numbers always have the currency symbol included?

            Do you deal in other currencies other than pounds, if so, which?

            Possibly more questions later, depending on the answers to these.

            ºvº
            2006.10.02
            -Newspaper HeadLine...
            "British Union Finds Dwarfs in Short Supply"
            hrs ø hsavage@...
          • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 2, 2006
              = V5 MultiLine NoSorting TabWidth=30

              H=";About this library"
              ; Clip by Don at htmlfixit dot com
              If you start this thing and then paste numbers to the clipboard, you'll
              get the total of those numbers back on the clipboard when you are done.

              If you copy something that is not a number, then you get the total of
              all copied numbers to the clipboard.

              The next time you copy a number, it will continue on fresh.

              H=";"

              H="Start"
              ;start fresh
              ^!ClearVariables
              ;Set initial values for main variables
              ^!Set %CheckClipboard%=True; %PasteInfo%=0
              ;If user does not want to create a new document, skip this procedure
              :SkipNewDoc
              ^!Prompt Number copy mode is now enabled to total all numbers copied,
              copy an non-number to have get the total to the clipboard.

              H="Stop"
              ;Stop checking the Windows Clipboard
              ^!Set %CheckClipboard%=False
              ^!Prompt Number capturing stopped. Double-click on the "Start" Clip if
              you want to continue

              H="_OnClipboardChange"
              ;If we are not supposed to check the Windows Clipboard, end this Clip
              ^!IfFalse ^%CheckClipboard% End
              ;If the size of the text in the Clipboard exceeds 255 characters, end
              this Clip (unlikely to be a number)
              ^!If ^$GetClipboardSize$ > 255 End
              ;Copy Clipboard text into a variable
              ^!Set %ClipboardText%=^$GetClipboard$
              ;if not number, prompt for whether to continue or end the clip
              ^!If "^$IsNumber("^%ClipboardText%")$" = "1" NUMBER ELSE TOTAL
              :NUMBER
              ;Play sound file if it exists
              ^!Sound ^$GetSoundPath$SayInfo.wav

              ;MESSAGE
              ^!Set %subtotal%=^$Calc(^%subtotal%+^%ClipboardText%)$
              ^!Set %PasteInfo%=0
              ;End the Clip
              ^!Goto End

              :TOTAL
              ^!SetClipboard ^%subtotal%
              ^!ClearVariable %subtotal%

              ;End the Clip
              ^!Goto End
            • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 3, 2006
                Don - HtmlFixIt.com wrote:
                > = V5 MultiLine NoSorting TabWidth=30
                >
                > H=";About this library"
                > ; Clip by Don at htmlfixit dot com
                > If you start this thing and then paste numbers to the clipboard, you'll
                > get the total of those numbers back on the clipboard when you are done.
                >
                > If you copy something that is not a number, then you get the total of
                > all copied numbers to the clipboard.
                >
                > The next time you copy a number, it will continue on fresh.

                It just occurred to me, didn't we have a discussion a while back that
                you cannot trust isNumber? If so I may need to fine tune this thing a
                little. I could be off here, does anyone else remember that discussion?

                I didn't test my clip on anything but whole numbers.

                When I started this clip, one of the ones I was looking at to remember
                the onClipBoardChange bit was one I worked on in 2002. So I've seen a
                lot of clips and I forget more than I remember probably :-)
              • dvdwriters12
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 3, 2006

                  > I didn't test my clip on anything but whole numbers.
                  >
                  > When I started this clip, one of the ones I was looking at to
                  remember
                  > the onClipBoardChange bit was one I worked on in 2002. So I've seen
                  > lot of clips and I forget more than I remember probably :-)

                  Thanks Don,

                  Yeah as you say it doesnt work on fractional numbers, but otherwise it
                  seems to work except it doesnt return the result in the clipboard
                  (which is easy enough to modify).
                • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 3, 2006
                    > Thanks Don,
                    >
                    > Yeah as you say it doesnt work on fractional numbers, but otherwise it
                    > seems to work except it doesnt return the result in the clipboard
                    > (which is easy enough to modify).

                    I have the solution around here to get it to work on fractional numbers.
                    I'll try to do that when I get a second.

                    It should be putting the result on the clipboard. When you are done
                    totaling copy a non-number and you should have the result on the clipboard.

                    Try that again and let me know if it is working. If not, I'll have to
                    revisit. I should add that I am working in 4.95 pro.