Escaping Clip Commands

  • John Mitchell
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 5 6:44 PM
      Is there a way of preventing a clip command from being interpreted as a
      command? Something like...

      ^!Set %str%=(esc char goes here)^?[Prompt Text=default]

      so that ^!Info ^%str%

      would display the text string.. ^?[Prompt Text=default]

      Regards, John M
    • loro
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 5 7:06 PM
        John Mitchell wrote:
        >Is there a way of preventing a clip command from being interpreted as a
        >command? Something like...
        >
        >^!Set %str%=(esc char goes here)^?[Prompt Text=default]
        >
        >so that ^!Info ^%str%
        >
        >would display the text string.. ^?[Prompt Text=default]

        There are no escape characters in the common sense, but you can replace the
        second circumflex with ^%caret%. There are a few more of those. Look in
        Help, Variables -> Preset Variables.

        Lotta
      • John Mitchell
        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 5 7:32 PM
          Thanks Lotta

          Now for the next step in the process. Having assigned the command string
          to a variable..

          ^!Set %s%=^%caret%?[Prompt Text=default]

          ..how do I force the variable to be interpreted as a command rather than
          a string? Something along the lines of the REXX Interpret command..

          ^!Interpret ^%s%

          I assume that this can't be done?

          In case you are wondering why I ask, it would be a useful way of
          building complex expressions, e.g. wizards, component at a time, and
          then executing the final result. For example:

          ;Build an array assigning wizard component by component
          ;Makes it easier to read and understand what is going on

          ^!Set %s%=^%caret%!SetArray %a%=
          ^!Set %s%=^%s%^%caret%?[Prompt Text1=default1];
          ^!Set %s%=^%s%^%caret%?[Prompt Text2=default2];
          ^!Set %s%=^%s%^%caret%?[Prompt Text3=default3]

          ;Execute the array assignment

          ^!Interpret ^%s%

          Regards, John M

          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 5 7:53 PM
            John Mitchell wrote:
            >Now for the next step in the process. Having assigned the command string
            >to a variable..
            >
            >^!Set %s%=^%caret%?[Prompt Text=default]
            >
            >..how do I force the variable to be interpreted as a command rather than
            >a string? Something along the lines of the REXX Interpret command..
            >
            >^!Interpret ^%s%
            >
            >I assume that this can't be done?

            I've never tried this, not even thought about it, but it seems you can just
            "use" the variable.

            ^!Set %s%=^%caret%?[Prompt Text=default]
            ^%str%

            Interesting idea. Hopefully someone else knows more about this.

            Lotta
          • John Mitchell
            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 5 9:03 PM
              Lotta

              Yes, as you say, the variable constructed in this manner can be used in
              the normal way. In your example below it would simply insert the string
              at the cursor position. What's missing, in a generic sense, is the
              ability to treat a string as a command. In days gone by when I used REXX
              extensively, I considered the INTERPRET command, which does just that,
              to be an invaluable tool. If someone (Eric?, Jody?) can confirm that
              there is no way of doing this in the current NTB implementation then
              I'll submit an enhancement request to be considered for some future
              release.

              Regards, John M

              >Now for the next step in the process. Having assigned the command string
              >to a variable..
              >
              >^!Set %s%=^%caret%?[Prompt Text=default]
              >
              >..how do I force the variable to be interpreted as a command rather than
              >a string? Something along the lines of the REXX Interpret command..
              >
              >^!Interpret ^%s%
              >
              >I assume that this can't be done?

              I've never tried this, not even thought about it, but it seems you can
              just
              "use" the variable.

              ^!Set %s%=^%caret%?[Prompt Text=default]
              ^%str%

              Interesting idea. Hopefully someone else knows more about this.

              Lotta
            • Alan_C
              Message 6 of 15 , Sep 5 9:44 PM
                On Tuesday 05 September 2006 21:03, John Mitchell wrote:
                [ . . ]
                > ability to treat a string as a command. In days gone by when I used REXX
                > extensively, I considered the INTERPRET command, which does just that,
                > to be an invaluable tool.
                [ . . ]

                That sounds like an "eval" (Perl and some other languages have it)

                IOW ability to hold (unexecuted) the code itself within a variable and then
                eval it which eval means to run/execute the code.

                It can be done in Notetab by dynamically creating/writing a new clip to the
                hard disk and then executing such dyn created clip.

                IOW through the use of first clip to dynamically create/write the 2nd clip to
                disk and then said first clip executes such dyn created 2nd clip.

                Wayne Van WeerHutzen (sorry, terrible spelling) has done it in the past of
                which this is to be found in the Yahoo archives of upwards of near 3 years
                ago.

                Sheri most recently produced an improved version of which I'm unaware if she
                shared it to the clips list.

                Lastly, other similar vein (but not the same thing) things:

                use of ^!Append to code into variable. Such code is not executed until ^!Set
                is used on that variable (works when building wizards and some others).

                ^!InsertCode and also $GetCode$ function

                help > help_on_clip_programming > click_index_tab

                scroll up and down, peruse the commands and functions, look for anything with
                the letters code as a part of it.

                Alan.
              • John Mitchell
                Message 7 of 15 , Sep 5 10:03 PM
                  Bingo!

                  The append method works a treat...

                  ;Build an array assigning wizard component by component
                  ;Makes it easier to read and understand what is going on

                  ^!ClearVariable %s%
                  ^!Append %s%=^?[Prompt Text1=default1];
                  ^!Append %s%=^?[Prompt Text2=default2];
                  ^!Append %s%=^?[Prompt Text3=default3]

                  ;Execute and assign the result to an array

                  ^!SetArray %a%=^%s%
                  ^!Info ^%a0%
                  ^!Info ^%a1%
                  ;etc

                  I would never have thought of looking under ^!Append in a month of
                  Sundays. NTB is full of neat possibilities but finding such gems in the
                  Help file is not the most straightforward of tasks and without your
                  comment that "Such code is not executed until ^!Set is used on that
                  variable", I would not immediately have assumed from the Help text that
                  ^!Set or ^!SetArray would do what I want.

                  Many thanks, John M

                  On Tuesday 05 September 2006 21:03, John Mitchell wrote:
                  [ . . ]
                  > ability to treat a string as a command. In days gone by when I used REXX
                  > extensively, I considered the INTERPRET command, which does just that,
                  > to be an invaluable tool.
                  [ . . ]

                  Message 8 of 15 , Sep 5 11:16 PM
                    On Tuesday 05 September 2006 22:03, John Mitchell wrote:
                    > Bingo!
                    >
                    > The append method works a treat...

                    [ . . ]
                    > Help file is not the most straightforward of tasks and without your
                    > comment that "Such code is not executed until ^!Set is used on that
                    > variable", I would not immediately have assumed from the Help text that
                    > ^!Set or ^!SetArray would do what I want.

                    Yep. I don't think the part about set or setarray is mentioned.

                    Snipped from help:

                    ^!Append %Variable%=Value

                    Appends value to the content of %Variable%. This command also has the
                    advantage of allowing assignments of function names and ^?{} prompts without
                    causing these to be evaluated. This command is particularly useful for
                    creating sophisticated Clip Wizards.

                    Years ago I didn't know what an eval is nor what is meant by "evaluated" as
                    it's mentioned within the context of the help snippet enclosed above.

                    I've since learned about the eval funtion in the Perl language and what it
                    does. So now I know what is meant by "evaluated" in that above help snippet.

                    Yep the help tends to be terse and also tends to speak using "programmer's
                    dialect" or "programmer's jargon" or "programmer's diction". Access to this
                    latter sort of lingo in turn helps to access the help. (but, what
                    programmer's diction and from what era? -- I'm humoring right now right here,
                    so I'll leave the perusing of this laughable one up to the reader/audience).

                    And, like you said, no mention of set or setarray launching/igniting what was
                    put into variable via the append command.

                    Notice in the help snippet it says function names and prompts (wizards or user
                    interactivity thingy). It does not say clip commands. IOW not everything
                    will work in this way but it is limited to the specific Notetab thingys that
                    are mentioned in that help snippet enclosed above.

                    If you ever want a full blown eval you will have to do the dynamically created
                    to disk clip thing that I had previously mentioned.

                    Alan.
                  • John Mitchell
                    Message 9 of 15 , Sep 5 11:57 PM
                      Alan

                      The technique seems to work just fine for other NTB commands too.
                      Try this code snippet:

                      ;Build an array assigning some NTB commands
                      ;Makes it easier to read and understand what is going on

                      ^!SetClipboard abracadabra
                      ^!ClearVariable %s%
                      ^!Append %s%=The clipboard contains ^$GetClipboardSize$ chars;
                      ^!Append %s%=themagicwordis;
                      ^!Append %s%=^$GetClipboard$
                      ^!Info ^%s%

                      ;Execute and assign the result to an array

                      ^!SetArray %a%=^%s%
                      ^!Info ^%a0%
                      ^!Info ^%a1%
                      ^!Info ^%a2%
                      ^!Info ^%a3%

                      Regards, John M

                      Message 10 of 15 , Sep 6 12:33 AM
                        On Tuesday 05 September 2006 23:57, John Mitchell wrote:
                        > Alan
                        >
                        > The technique seems to work just fine for other NTB commands too.
                        > Try this code snippet:

                        I don't see any commands into var via append -- only functions and string
                        (text) items. Have you tried like what I added/altered at the bottom of your
                        code enclosed below? (command into var via append then set var)

                        Notetab makes a distinction between its commands and its functions.

                        > ;Build an array assigning some NTB commands
                        > ;Makes it easier to read and understand what is going on
                        >
                        > ^!SetClipboard abracadabra
                        > ^!ClearVariable %s%
                        > ^!Append %s%=The clipboard contains ^$GetClipboardSize$ chars;
                        > ^!Append %s%=themagicwordis;
                        > ^!Append %s%=^$GetClipboard$
                        > ^!Info ^%s%
                        >
                        > ;Execute and assign the result to an array
                        >
                        > ^!SetArray %a%=^%s%
                        > ^!Info ^%a0%
                        > ^!Info ^%a1%
                        > ^!Info ^%a2%
                        ; ^!Info ^%a3%
                        ^!ClearVariable %stuff%
                        ^!Append %stuff%="^!Info ^%a3%"
                        ; likely not works (untested)
                        ^!Set %stuff%=^%stuff%
                        ; end

                        --
                        Alan.
                      • Sheri
                        Message 11 of 15 , Sep 6 9:22 AM
                          --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Alan_C <acummingsus@...> wrote:
                          > Wayne Van WeerHutzen (sorry, terrible spelling) has
                          > done it in the past of which this is to be found in the
                          > Yahoo archives of upwards of near 3 years ago.

                          Wayne's clip can be found here:

                          He uses a custom function. The big disadvantage of custom functions is
                          that they cannot be used reliably in clips run from the clipbar
                          (limitation of ^!FarClip). If you happen to the have the clip library
                          containing the custom function open in the clipbook when such a clip
                          is launched from the clipbar it may work. There are some other
                          limitations mentioned at the bottom of the above page/link.

                          > Sheri most recently produced an improved version of
                          > which I'm unaware if she shared it to the clips list.

                          Here's mine, I use it whenever I have an idea for a new clip. I run it
                          from the clipbar. Sometimes I just enter some notes for the new clip,
                          and choose not to immediately run it. If not immediately run, it
                          leaves you in clipedit where you can refine the clip. Then when you
                          rerun the clip, it saves the temp library and puts you back in the
                          previously focused document/position before running the temp clip
                          (useful if the clip is for changing that document).

                          I just updated the clip because I found a problem with it in 5.1. Now
                          all is well.

                          (Above listing produced by NoteTab Geshi clip from my Color
                          Highlighting library. You can copy the text of the clip to the
                          clipboard in the browser without getting annoying Yahoo line breaks.
                          Works better in MSIE and Opera than Firefox. If copied from Firefox
                          you have to remove some leading spaces and line number lines after
                          pasting to NoteTab.)

                          Am also pasting the clip below, but there will be invalid line breaks.
                          All lines should begin with a semicolon, colon or caret. This clip
                          uses some regular expressions and functions that don't work in NoteTab
                          versions less than 5.

                          Hope some will find it useful.

                          H="Make Instant Clip"
                          ;2006-09-06 Fixed a problem running in NoteTab 5.1
                          ;2006-07-16 Created by Sheri Pierce
                          ;Prompts for lines of clipcode which can be instantly run
                          ;Or if not instantly run, you can edit it, rerun the command while
                          ;the clip library "Temp.clb" is still the current document and that
                          ;will run it.
                          ;If you load the Temp.clb library you can rename the "Temp" clip if
                          ;you don't want it overwritten on the next run.
                          :SetTmpLibPath
                          ^!If ^$GetProgVersion$<5 Next Else Skip_2
                          ^!Prompt This clip requires NoteTab 5 or above
                          ^!Goto End
                          ^!IfSame "^$GetDocName$" "^$GetLibraryUserPath$Temp.clb" Next Else
                          Skip_5
                          ^!IfTrue ^$IsEmpty(^%currdocb4temp%)$ Warning
                          :Test
                          ^!IfFalse ^$IsEmpty(^$GetDocMatchAll("\r\nH\=\x22Temp\x22\r\n";0)$)$
                          Next Else Skip_3
                          ^!Skip Starting from Scratch? "No" if the Temp clip is ready to run
                          ^!Goto DoIt
                          ^!Set %currdocb4temp%=^$GetDocIndex$
                          ^!IfFileExist "^$GetLibraryUserPath$Temp.clb" Skip_1 Else Next
                          ^!TexttoFile "^$GetLibraryUserPath$Temp.clb" = V5 MultiLine NoSorting
                          TabWidth=30"^%NL%^%NL%H="Temp"^%NL%
                          :Prompt
                          ^!Set %cccomline%=^?{(T=W) Enter one or more lines of clipcode.}
                          :Editclb
                          ^!Open "^$GetLibraryUserPath$Temp.clb"
                          ^!SetWordWrap Off
                          ^!Find "(?s)H\="Temp"\r\n(.*?)(?=\r\nH="|\z)" rs1
                          ^!IfError Skip_1
                          ^!Goto InsCom
                          ^!Jump Doc_End
                          ^!InsertText ^P^PH="Temp"^P
                          :InsCom
                          ^!SetWordWrap Off
                          ^!Insertcode ^%cccomline%
                          ^!InsertText ^P
                          ^!Skip Immediately Run this clip? (With "No" you can edit and rerun
                          Make Instant Clip to save and run it.)
                          ^!Goto End
                          :DoIt
                          ^!Close Save
                          ^!Setdocindex ^%currdocb4temp%
                          ^!FarClip Temp.clb:Temp
                          ^!Goto End
                          :Warning
                          ^!Continue You started Make Instant Clips with Temp.clb with no
                          previous document information. If you continue, be aware that Temp.clb
                          will not be the active clip when your clip is run.
                          ^!Goto Test
                          ;end of clip
                        • Alec Burgess(g)
                          Message 12 of 15 , Sep 7 5:54 AM
                            Sheri:
                            following should have the header

                            *** ATTENTION use Internet Explorer or Opera NOT Firefox ***

                            above it rather than below <grin>. I of course clicked on the clip which
                            opened in default browser (Firefox of course) then tried to paste in
                            Notetab and said WHAT THE HECK! Before I started trimming line
                            numbers in Notetab, I went back and read the "junk" below. DUHHH!

                            > (Above listing produced by NoteTab Geshi clip from my Color
                            > Highlighting library. You can copy the text of the clip to the
                            > clipboard in the browser without getting annoying Yahoo line breaks.
                            > Works better in MSIE and Opera than Firefox. If copied from Firefox
                            > you have to remove some leading spaces and line number lines after
                            > pasting to NoteTab.)

                            Regards ... Alec
                              > *** ATTENTION use Internet Explorer or Opera NOT Firefox ***
                              >
                              > above it rather than below <grin> . I of course clicked on the clip which
                              > opened in default browser (Firefox of course) then tried to paste in
                              > Notetab and said WHAT THE HECK! Before I started trimming line
                              > numbers in Notetab, I went back and read the "junk" below. DUHHH!

                              > Regards ... Alec

                              Alec, Sheri,

                              Another option, 'which I used', is to have installed in FireFox an
                              extension 'IE Tab'. As it sounds you can view individual tabs using
                              FireFox as a GUI(frontend) for IE, somewhat like Maxthon. We've all run
                              across pages that are friendly only to IE.

                              ºvº
                              2006.09.07
                              "Cooking II; Bran and Tofu are Not For Human Consumption."
                              hrs ø hsavage@...
                            • Sheri
                              Message 14 of 15 , Sep 7 8:39 AM

                                > Another option, 'which I used', is to have installed in
                                > FireFox an extension 'IE Tab'. As it sounds you can
                                > view individual tabs using FireFox as a GUI(frontend)
                                > for IE, somewhat like Maxthon. We've all run across
                                > pages that are friendly only to IE.

                                Good to know, Harvey, thanks. Haven't figured out how to make the most
                                of this. Once you've loaded in Firefox, is there a quick way to reload
                                the page using IE Tab?

                                Thanks,
                                Sheri
                              • hsavage
                                Message 15 of 15 , Sep 7 9:10 AM
                                  Sheri wrote:
                                  > --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, hsavage <hsavage@...> wrote:
                                  >
                                  >> Another option, 'which I used', is to have installed in
                                  >> FireFox an extension 'IE Tab'. As it sounds you can
                                  >> view individual tabs using FireFox as a GUI(frontend)
                                  >> for IE, somewhat like Maxthon. We've all run across
                                  >> pages that are friendly only to IE.
                                  >>

                                  > Good to know, Harvey, thanks. Haven't figured out how to make the most
                                  > of this. Once you've loaded in Firefox, is there a quick way to reload
                                  > the page using IE Tab?
                                  >
                                  > Thanks,
                                  > Sheri

                                  Sheri,

                                  Yes there is, after installing 'IE Tab' a choice - 'View Page in IE Tab'
                                  is added to the right-click menu when clicking within the viewed page.

                                  There are also multiple options to play with. e.g., you can leave the
                                  original tab as-is, and reopen the page in an IE tab, good for visual
                                  comparisons, also an easier way to get back to FireFox, just close the
                                  IE tab.