Re: [Clip] Javascript vs PHP OT

  • Larry
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 2, 2006
      On Sat, 02 Sep 2006 13:00:28 -0400, you wrote (with possible editing):

      >Hi Absalom and All,
      >
      >This is a bit OT here, and I'll take it to the Off Topic list if replies are
      >necessary.
      >
      >Absalom said in answer to a question in a different thread on this list, "What
      >you need is either Javascript - bad because most sensible users disable
      >uncontrollable code running let loose on their machines - or better PHP".
      >
      >My question: Why is PHP safer than Javascript? I'm about to begin using
      >Javascript on some of the pages in a website I maintain. I don't know PHP
      >code, but I'll learn it if (a) it has better security characteristics than
      >Javascript, and (b) If there is less chance that any of our users will block
      >it.
      >
      >Thanks for the help.
      >
      >Ray Shapp

      PHP runs on a Server, while Javascript runs on the client. So a
      Javascript procedure might force your machine to do something
      unwanted, while PHP usually just serves html.

      That said, AJAX (used to produce dynamic websites which actively
      update only parts of the screen) uses Javascript on the client. What
      some folks do for example:

      A weather site. They use PHP to download the most current
      data for those that have Javascript turned off and AJAX to make the
      site live; i.e., they constantly update the temperature, barometer,
      wind speed and direction, etc. Here is an example:
      http://www.carterlake.org.

      Ajax stands for "Asynchronous Javascript and XML". PHP can be
      replaced with Python, Perl, PHP, or other dynamic languages which run
      on a server.

      You can write for both Javascript running or not on a browser

      Btw, I am not an expert in either language
      --

      Larry
      Email to rapp at lmr dot com