Getting a list of directories

  • John Mitchell
    Message 1 of 25 , Aug 25 4:00 PM
      I may be missing something obvious. I am looking for a way to get a list
      of subdirectories. I initially thought that I could use ^$GetFiles with
      a "D" for Directory attribute, but "D" is not an option and ^$GetFiles
      is only for files. I can, of course, use ^$GetDosOutput with a suitably
      constructed DOS DIR command and split the resultant list into individual
      lines but if no subdirectories are found by DIR, a pop-up error results.

      Is there a smarter way? And/or any chance (Eric) that ^$GetFiles could
      be extended to include directories as well as files?

      Regards, John M
      Message 2 of 25 , Aug 27 10:35 AM
        Hi John,

        >I may be missing something obvious. I am looking for a way to get
        > a list of subdirectories. I initially thought that I could use
        > ^$GetFiles with a "D" for Directory attribute, but "D" is not an
        > option and ^$GetFiles is only for files. I can, of course, use
        > ^$GetDosOutput with a suitably constructed DOS DIR command and
        > split the resultant list into individual lines but if no
        > subdirectories are found by DIR, a pop-up error results.
        >
        >Is there a smarter way? And/or any chance (Eric) that ^$GetFiles
        > could be extended to include directories as well as files?

        I just updated the Clip "File Path/List..." in my DirStuff
        Library to get only the folder paths without the file names.
        There's many ways to do it, but since I already had this one
        built I just modified it adding another option.

        I have a number of Clips that work with directories in my
        DirStuff. You'll find some that you can modify to do what you
        want. Look for ones that use ^$GetFiles instead of the ones with
        the older method using ^$GetFileFirst/^$GetFileNext although
        those still have good use for some purposes. Try right clicking
        over the Library combobox and choose "Open as Document" and then
        do a Find for ^$GetFiles. They'll use ^!SetArray.

        NoteTabbers Assistant Library Page
        http://www.notetab.net/html/library.htm
        Direct download for DirStuff
        http://www.notetab.net/zip/dirstuff.zip

        Affiliate links for Fookes Software, thanks! :)
        Fookes Software Home
        NoteTab Home
        http://www.fookes.com/regnow.html?2448&item=notetab
        Buy Fookes Software Now!
        http://www.fookes.com/regnow.html?2448

        >Regards, John M

        Convert your eMail programs... Aid4Mail: http://www.fookes.us/aid4mail

        Freeware and Shareware; some seamleesly integrates with NoteTab:
        http://www.sojourner.us/software

      • John Mitchell
        Message 3 of 25 , Aug 27 3:44 PM
          Jody

          I am familiar with Dirstuff and have looked at some of your code. It
          supports my suspicion that there is no built-in command that will
          directly return a list of directories, in the same way that $GetFiles
          return a list of files.

          Has this ever been formally requested as an addition to the built-in
          command list? If not, it's certainly something I would like to see
          either as a separate $GetDirs([base path])$ command, where "base path"
          defaults to the current file's directory if nothing is specified, or as
          an extension to $GetFiles to return directories if an attribute of D is
          requested.

          Regards, John M

          I have a number of Clips that work with directories in my
          DirStuff. You'll find some that you can modify to do what you
          want. Look for ones that use ^$GetFiles instead of the ones with
          the older method using ^$GetFileFirst/^$GetFileNext although
          those still have good use for some purposes. Try right clicking
          over the Library combobox and choose "Open as Document" and then
          do a Find for ^$GetFiles. They'll use ^!SetArray.

          --- snip ---
        • abairheart
          Message 4 of 25 , Aug 29 12:19 PM
            --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "John Mitchell" <notetab@...> wrote:

            > supports my suspicion that there is no built-in command that will
            > directly return a list of directories, in the same way that $GetFiles
            > return a list of files.

            There is a simple way to do this:

            use the ^$GetDosOutput
            with the dir command and the /A:D switch

            something like (doing this from memory):

            dir *.* /a:d /s
            or is it?
            dir /a:d /s *.*

            The above will use the current directory, whatever DOS thinks it is.
            You can also specify the complete path, as usual.

            Usually, it works best to load the result into a ^%nl% delimited array.
            You may also want to check into empty array elements at either or both
            ends of the array.

            Abair
          • John Mitchell
            Message 5 of 25 , Aug 29 1:47 PM
              Abair

              Yes, that is what I am doing...

              ^!SetListDelimiter ^p
              ^!SetArray %dirs%=^$GetDosOutput(dir ^%somedir% /ad /b /o-d)$

              The trouble is that if there aren't any subdirs under the selected top
              level directory an error message pops up and there is no way that I have
              found to supress it.

              I see from Jody's DirStuff that he parses the output from a DOS Tree
              command. My guess is that he hit the problem of a popup error from DIR
              and switched to Tree as a way around it. Parsing the output from Tree,
              however, is a lot less straightforward than populating an array with DIR
              output.

              Regards, John M

              Message 6 of 25 , Aug 29 2:32 PM
                Hi John,

                I don't ever remember a ^$GetDirs function ever being requested,
                but that does not necessarily mean it never was. I'll turn it in
                as a new function request for a v5.x upgrade.

                >I am familiar with Dirstuff and have looked at some of your code.
                >It supports my suspicion that there is no built-in command that
                >will directly return a list of directories, in the same way that
                >$GetFiles return a list of files.
                >
                >Has this ever been formally requested as an addition to the
                >built-in command list? If not, it's certainly something I would
                >like to see either as a separate $GetDirs([base path])$ command,
                >where "base path" defaults to the current file's directory if
                >nothing is specified, or as an extension to $GetFiles to return
                >directories if an attribute of D is requested.

                ^$GetPath[+](FileName)$
                ^$GetDir[+]("base path")$

                Message 7 of 25 , Aug 29 2:58 PM
                  Hi John,

                  >I see from Jody's DirStuff that he parses the output from a DOS Tree
                  >command. My guess is that he hit the problem of a popup error from DIR
                  >and switched to Tree as a way around it. Parsing the output from Tree,
                  >however, is a lot less straightforward than populating an array with DIR
                  >output.

                  The Clip I modified (File Path/List...) used the ^$GetFiles
                  function and stripped the filenames off, then sorted removing
                  duplicates. It's a long way around to do it and is quite slow in
                  doing like "C:\" for instance. I did notice that I already had
                  DOS commands setup to do it which is quite fast. I'm still going
                  to turn in your request though.

                  Convert your eMail programs... Aid4Mail: http://www.fookes.us/aid4mail

                  Freeware and Shareware; some seamleesly integrates with NoteTab:
                  http://www.sojourner.us/software

                • hsavage
                  Message 8 of 25 , Aug 29 5:59 PM
                    Jody wrote:
                    > Hi John,
                    >
                    > The Clip I modified (File Path/List...) used the ^$GetFiles
                    > function and stripped the filenames off, then sorted removing
                    > duplicates. It's a long way around to do it and is quite slow in
                    > doing like "C:\" for instance. I did notice that I already had
                    > DOS commands setup to do it which is quite fast. I'm still going
                    > to turn in your request though.
                    >
                    > Happy Clip'n!
                    > Jody

                    Hey Jody,

                    Here's something that may give you a speedy alternative to

                    ^$GetPath[+](FileName)$
                    ^$GetDir[+]("base path")$

                    I was tinkering and discovered the short clip below works really well,
                    and fast, and can be adapted to different uses, you're welcome to it for
                    your Dirstuff or any other use. I kept all the lines short and simple
                    for easy reading.

                    h=listdirs
                    ^!Set %dir%=^?{(T=D)Choose Folder To See FolderTree=C:\}
                    ^!Set %sub_dirs%=^$GetFiles("+^%dir";nul)$
                    ^!Set %sub_dirs%=^$StrReplace("" "";"^p";"^%sub_dirs%";0;0)$
                    ^!Set %sub_dirs%=^$StrReplace("nul";"";"^%sub_dirs%";0;0)$
                    ^!Set %sub_dirs%=^$StrSort("^%sub_dirs%";0;1;1)$
                    ^!Info [L]^%nL%^%sub_dirs%

                    ºvº
                    2006.08.29
                    -Newspaper HeadLine...
                    "New Vaccine May Contain Rabies"
                    hrs ø hsavage@...
                  • John Mitchell
                    Message 9 of 25 , Aug 29 9:16 PM
                      Hello hrs

                      Your example relies on the presence of "nul" in the $GetFiles command to
                      operate correctly. Where is "nul" documented? I didn't find anything in
                      either the Notetab Help or the Clipbook Help.

                      Regards, John M

                      P.S. Your 2nd line of code should read....

                      ^!Set %sub_dirs%=^$GetFiles("+^%dir%";nul)$

                      (you left off the % after ^%dir in the original)

                      Message 10 of 25 , Aug 29 10:38 PM
                        John Mitchell wrote:
                        > Hello hrs
                        >
                        > Your example relies on the presence of "nul" in the $GetFiles command to
                        > operate correctly. Where is "nul" documented? I didn't find anything in
                        > either the Notetab Help or the Clipbook Help.
                        >
                        > Regards, John M
                        >
                        > P.S. Your 2nd line of code should read....
                        >
                        > ^!Set %sub_dirs%=^$GetFiles("+^%dir%";nul)$
                        >
                        > (you left off the % after ^%dir in the original)

                        John,

                        I seriously doubt that you find 'nul' documented anywhere unless you
                        have an old version of DOS(Disk Operating System). I learned about it
                        back around DOS 2 or DOS 3. I haven't seen it documented since then but
                        it still is valid.

                        You say the clip relies on the presence of 'nul', technically that's
                        true, but null equals 0 or nothing so I guess you could it relies on the
                        presence of 'nul'.

                        You're right about the dropped percent(%) also and I really try hard to
                        avoid things like that but, apparently it wasn't critical in this case.

                        All that aside have you tried the clip? I ran it on small and large
                        folders with lots of subfolders and it ran rather quickly.

                        ºvº
                        2006.08.30
                        "One of us is thinking about sex..., OK, it's me."
                        hrs ø hsavage@...
                      • John Mitchell
                        Message 11 of 25 , Aug 29 11:24 PM
                          hrs

                          Yes, I tried it and yes it works. Thanks, it's a solution. I certainly
                          remember the DOS construct some DOS command > nul which could be used to
                          redirect console output to a black hole. In the context of your clip,
                          however, nul is being used in a ^$GetFiles field whose description reads
                          "Filespecs" and which would normally be something like "*.xls" or
                          similar. I played around with it quite a bit. Here are my observations:

                          If you omit the parameter, as in ^$GetFiles("+^%dir%";)$ you get an
                          address violation (in NTB Pro 5), which I would consider to be a bug.

                          If you make the parameter empty, as in ^$GetFiles("+^%dir%";"")$ then
                          nothing is returned.

                          If you make the parameter a valid filespec for a type you know does not
                          exist in the selected directory, as in ^$GetFiles("+^%dir%";"*.xxx")$
                          then nothing is returned.

                          If you make the parameter a valid filespec for a type you know exists in
                          the selected directory, as in ^$GetFiles("+^%dir%";"*.jpg")$ then a list
                          of matching files is returned, as you would expect. It's worth noting
                          that the list is exclusively files, even if your structure includes a
                          directory called (e.g) mystuff.jpg.

                          That leaves us with the use of nul in the parameter position, as in
                          ^!Set %sub_dirs%=^$GetFiles("+^%dir%";nul)$ which returns just
                          directories. The fact that it works provides me with a mechanism for
                          doing what I want but it also raises the question of *why* it works and
                          the even more pressing question of what on earth inspired you to use nul
                          (of all the most unlikely things) in place of a filespec parameter in
                          the first place????

                          Regards, John M

                          Message 12 of 25 , Aug 29 11:50 PM
                            John Mitchell wrote:

                            > Yes, I tried it and yes it works. Thanks, it's a solution. I certainly
                            > remember the DOS construct some DOS command > nul which could be used to
                            > redirect console output to a black hole.
                            > That leaves us with the use of nul in the parameter position, as in
                            > ^!Set %sub_dirs%=^$GetFiles("+^%dir%";nul)$ which returns just
                            > directories. The fact that it works provides me with a mechanism for
                            > doing what I want but it also raises the question of *why* it works and
                            > the even more pressing question of what on earth inspired you to use nul
                            > (of all the most unlikely things) in place of a filespec parameter in
                            > the first place????
                            >
                            > Regards, John M

                            John,

                            I doubt I can sufficiently relate how I thinks it works, consider it a
                            wild card with low expectations. It looks for nothing more than 'if the
                            basic path exists'. I can only say I've used it off and on for years,
                            first, in the old, old days, in batch files and now in clips to verify
                            folder existence without having to rely on knowing any particular filenames.

                            I use it in many clips I write for my own use, as a matter of fact, I
                            use one of those clips to automatically check for a particular folder
                            structure every time I start NoteTab and if that structure exists the
                            clip continues to set a drive variable for the drive the folders are on
                            and about 10 folder variables I use to maintain and update a webpage I
                            control.

                            Message 13 of 25 , Aug 30 9:59 AM
                              Hi hsavage,

                              >Here's something that may give you a speedy alternative to
                              >
                              >^$GetPath[+](FileName)$
                              >^$GetDir[+]("base path")$
                              >
                              >I was tinkering and discovered the short clip below works really well,
                              >and fast, and can be adapted to different uses, you're welcome to it for
                              >your Dirstuff or any other use. I kept all the lines short and simple
                              >for easy reading.
                              >
                              >h=listdirs
                              >^!Set %dir%=^?{(T=D)Choose Folder To See FolderTree=C:\}
                              ><snip>
                              >^!Info [L]^%nL%^%sub_dirs%

                              Thanks Harvey! Don't mind if I do add it to DirStuff; already
                              zipped and uploaded. :) It is the fastest I've seen yet. Long
                              line from "^!Set %dir%" to next ^!Set. I only added the output
                              option and the overlooked "%" mentioned by John.

                              H=HRS's ListDirs - Fast!
                              ; Clip created and used with permission of HRS on ntb-Clips@yahoogroups.com
                              ; Last updated on 08-30-2006 by Jody Adair, added output options.
                              ^!Set %dir%=^?{(T=D)Choose Folder To See FolderTree=C:\}; %Output%=^?{Open in==_New document^=NewDoc|Information box^=}
                              ^!Set %sub_dirs%=^$GetFiles("+^%dir%";nul)$
                              ^!Set %sub_dirs%=^$StrReplace("" "";"^p";"^%sub_dirs%";0;0)$
                              ^!Set %sub_dirs%=^$StrReplace("nul";"";"^%sub_dirs%";0;0)$
                              ^!Set %sub_dirs%=^$StrSort("^%sub_dirs%";0;1;1)$
                              ^!IfSame ^%Output%" "NewDoc" Skip_2
                              ^!Info [L]^%nL%^%sub_dirs%
                              ^!Goto End
                              ^!Toolbar New Document
                              ^%sub_dirs%
                              ^!Jump 1

                              Convert your eMail programs... Aid4Mail: http://www.fookes.us/aid4mail

                              Freeware and Shareware; some seamleesly integrates with NoteTab:
                              http://www.sojourner.us/software

                            • junja
                              Message 14 of 25 , Aug 30 10:35 AM
                                I haven't tried this clip code but, from dos days, "nul" was
                                necessary in lines like

                                if exist c:\somedir\nul

                                to specify one meant a dir not a file.

                                It wasn't necessary in getting a listing of dirs because the
                                dir command had a suffix for this purpose:

                                dir c: /a:d

                                IIRC.
                                John

                                John Mitchell wrote:

                                > hrs
                                >
                                > Yes, I tried it and yes it works. Thanks, it's a solution. I certainly
                                > remember the DOS construct some DOS command > nul which could be used to
                                > redirect console output to a black hole. In the context of your clip,
                                > however, nul is being used in a ^$GetFiles field whose description reads
                                > "Filespecs" and which would normally be something like "*.xls" or
                                > similar. I played around with it quite a bit. Here are my observations:
                                >
                                > If you omit the parameter, as in ^$GetFiles("+^%dir%";)$ you get an
                                > address violation (in NTB Pro 5), which I would consider to be a bug.
                                >
                                > If you make the parameter empty, as in ^$GetFiles("+^%dir%";"")$ then
                                > nothing is returned.
                                >
                                > If you make the parameter a valid filespec for a type you know does not
                                > exist in the selected directory, as in ^$GetFiles("+^%dir%";"*.xxx")$
                                > then nothing is returned.
                                >
                                > If you make the parameter a valid filespec for a type you know exists in
                                > the selected directory, as in ^$GetFiles("+^%dir%";"*.jpg")$ then a list
                                > of matching files is returned, as you would expect. It's worth noting
                                > that the list is exclusively files, even if your structure includes a
                                > directory called (e.g) mystuff.jpg.
                                >
                                > That leaves us with the use of nul in the parameter position, as in
                                > ^!Set %sub_dirs%=^$GetFiles("+^%dir%";nul)$ which returns just
                                > directories. The fact that it works provides me with a mechanism for
                                > doing what I want but it also raises the question of *why* it works and
                                > the even more pressing question of what on earth inspired you to use nul
                                > (of all the most unlikely things) in place of a filespec parameter in
                                > the first place????
                                >
                                > Regards, John M

                              • Sheri
                                Message 15 of 25 , Aug 30 1:02 PM
                                  Hi,

                                  For some reason it excludes folders with periods in their names.

                                  FWIW, if you do use ^$GetDosOutput()$ on a dir command such as

                                  Dir ^%dir% /b /ad /s

                                  You have to get the ^$StrAsciiToAnsi()$ of the result (unless none
                                  of your folders have any special characters the name)

                                  Would also need to append the "\" and add the original ^%dir% to the
                                  list to otherwise match the hrs clip output (but which includes the
                                  folders with dots in their names -- I had about 50 of them on my
                                  drive).

                                  --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Jody <kjv-av1611@...> wrote:

                                  > Hi hsavage,
                                  >
                                  > >Here's something that may give you a speedy alternative to
                                  > >
                                  > >^$GetPath[+](FileName)$
                                  > >^$GetDir[+]("base path")$
                                  > >
                                  > >I was tinkering and discovered the short clip below works really
                                  well,
                                  > >and fast, and can be adapted to different uses, you're welcome to
                                  it for
                                  > >your Dirstuff or any other use. I kept all the lines short and
                                  simple
                                  > >for easy reading.
                                  > >
                                  > >h=listdirs
                                  > >^!Set %dir%=^?{(T=D)Choose Folder To See FolderTree=C:\}
                                  > ><snip>
                                  > >^!Info [L]^%nL%^%sub_dirs%
                                  >
                                  > Thanks Harvey! Don't mind if I do add it to DirStuff; already
                                  > zipped and uploaded. :) It is the fastest I've seen yet. Long
                                  > line from "^!Set %dir%" to next ^!Set. I only added the output
                                  > option and the overlooked "%" mentioned by John.
                                  >
                                  > H=HRS's ListDirs - Fast!
                                  > ; Clip created and used with permission of HRS on ntb-
                                  Clips@yahoogroups.com
                                  > ; Last updated on 08-30-2006 by Jody Adair, added output options.
                                  > ^!Set %dir%=^?{(T=D)Choose Folder To See FolderTree=C:\}; %Output%
                                  =^?{Open in==_New document^=NewDoc|Information box^=}
                                  > ^!Set %sub_dirs%=^$GetFiles("+^%dir%";nul)$
                                  > ^!Set %sub_dirs%=^$StrReplace("" "";"^p";"^%sub_dirs%";0;0)$
                                  > ^!Set %sub_dirs%=^$StrReplace("nul";"";"^%sub_dirs%";0;0)$
                                  > ^!Set %sub_dirs%=^$StrSort("^%sub_dirs%";0;1;1)$
                                  > ^!IfSame ^%Output%" "NewDoc" Skip_2
                                  > ^!Info [L]^%nL%^%sub_dirs%
                                  > ^!Goto End
                                  > ^!Toolbar New Document
                                  > ^%sub_dirs%
                                  > ^!Jump 1
                                  >

                                  > Happy Clip'n!
                                  > Jody
                                  >
                                  > All Lists: http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm
                                  > Convert your eMail programs... Aid4Mail:
                                  http://www.fookes.us/aid4mail

                                  > Freeware and Shareware; some seamleesly integrates with NoteTab:
                                  > http://www.sojourner.us/software
                                  >
                                  > See ya in the funnies!-) http://www.clean-funnies.com

                                • John Mitchell
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Aug 30 1:39 PM
                                    Sheri

                                    What's your definition of special characters? I tried this on a wide
                                    variety of unlikely directory names and all were correctly listed.

                                    ^!Info ^$GetDosOutput(dir c:\toplevel /ad /b /o-d)$

                                    These all worked ok..

                                    as+df
                                    as(df
                                    as&df
                                    as^df
                                    as$df
                                    as!df
                                    as df
                                    as#df
                                    as@df
                                    as%df
                                    as~df
                                    as_df
                                    as.df

                                    FWIW, if you do use ^$GetDosOutput()$ on a dir command such as

                                    Dir ^%dir% /b /ad /s

                                    You have to get the ^$StrAsciiToAnsi()$ of the result (unless none
                                    of your folders have any special characters the name)

                                    <--- Snip --->
                                  • hsavage
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Aug 30 1:55 PM
                                      Sheri wrote:
                                      > Hi,
                                      >
                                      > For some reason it excludes folders with periods in their names.
                                      >
                                      > FWIW, if you do use ^$GetDosOutput()$ on a dir command such as
                                      >
                                      > Dir ^%dir% /b /ad /s
                                      >
                                      > You have to get the ^$StrAsciiToAnsi()$ of the result (unless none
                                      > of your folders have any special characters the name)
                                      >
                                      > Would also need to append the "\" and add the original ^%dir% to the
                                      > list to otherwise match the hrs clip output (but which includes the
                                      > folders with dots in their names -- I had about 50 of them on my
                                      > drive).
                                      >
                                      > Regards,
                                      > Sheri
                                      >
                                      >>> h=listdirs
                                      >>> ^!Set %dir%=^?{(T=D)Choose Folder To See FolderTree=C:\}
                                      >>> <snip>
                                      >>> ^!Info [L]^%nL%^%sub_dirs%
                                      >>
                                      >> H=HRS's ListDirs - Fast!
                                      >>
                                      >> Happy Clip'n!
                                      >> Jody

                                      Sheri,

                                      I'm not sure but I think you were referring to the clip I posted in the
                                      original form and Jody's modified clip. I thought I had tested it on
                                      names with periods so after your reply I re-tested, here's the result.

                                      I don't know what happened but I have no trouble with either version
                                      displaying foldernames with periods and other non-alpha characters in
                                      the names.

                                      Below is a representative sample of the same folder using the original
                                      and modified clips.

                                      This first sample is from the original clip.

                                      C:\+r2rweb\fsGONE\
                                      C:\+r2rweb\fsGONE\02001_offmarket_031112.cuttrell\
                                      C:\+r2rweb\fsGONE\02002_offmarket_031112.austin\
                                      C:\+r2rweb\fsGONE\02003_offmarket_031113.austin\
                                      C:\+r2rweb\fsGONE\02004_offmarket_031113.crouch\
                                      C:\+r2rweb\fsGONE\02005_offmarket_031113.conner\
                                      C:\+r2rweb\fsGONE\02006_offmarket_031113.murphy\
                                      C:\+r2rweb\fsGONE\02007_offmarket_031112.burnett\
                                      C:\+r2rweb\fsGONE\02008_70,000_030128.hancock\
                                      C:\+r2rweb\fsGONE\02009_offmarket_031112.fox estate\

                                      This second sample is from the modified clip.

                                      C:\+r2rweb\fsGONE\
                                      C:\+r2rweb\fsGONE\02001_offmarket_031112.cuttrell\
                                      C:\+r2rweb\fsGONE\02002_offmarket_031112.austin\
                                      C:\+r2rweb\fsGONE\02003_offmarket_031113.austin\
                                      C:\+r2rweb\fsGONE\02004_offmarket_031113.crouch\
                                      C:\+r2rweb\fsGONE\02005_offmarket_031113.conner\
                                      C:\+r2rweb\fsGONE\02006_offmarket_031113.murphy\
                                      C:\+r2rweb\fsGONE\02007_offmarket_031112.burnett\
                                      C:\+r2rweb\fsGONE\02008_70,000_030128.hancock\
                                      C:\+r2rweb\fsGONE\02009_offmarket_031112.fox estate\

                                      In this sub-folder alone there are 272 subfolders, all with periods,
                                      underscores and pluses in the names and they all were written to an
                                      empty file and displayed properly.

                                      There must be something quite different in the instance you tried for
                                      the foldernames with periods not to display correctly.

                                      ºvº
                                      2006.08.30
                                      -Newspaper HeadLine...
                                      "Old School Pillars are Replaced by Alumni"
                                      hrs ø hsavage@...
                                    • Sheri
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Aug 30 2:40 PM
                                        John,

                                        Here are a few special characters I had:

                                        æ á ê é

                                        Harvey,

                                        Below are the two clips I ran; just reran on my C drive where there
                                        were fewer difference. The first clip produced 5854 lines, the
                                        second 5859. I then used my "stop words" clip making the first list
                                        the stop list to the second, and it produced this output:

                                        C:\php\PEAR\.channels\
                                        C:\php\PEAR\.channels\.alias\
                                        C:\php\PEAR\.registry\
                                        C:\php\PEAR\.registry\.channel.pecl.php.net\
                                        C:\php\PEAR\.registry\.channel.__uri\

                                        My D drive had more (as I said before about 50). They all have dots
                                        in the name but maybe that's not the distinguishing characteristic.

                                        H="listdir"
                                        ^!Set %start%=^$GetDate(tt)$
                                        ^!Toolbar New Document
                                        ^!Set %dir%=^?{(T=D)Choose Folder To See FolderTree=C:\}
                                        ^!Set %sub_dirs%=^$GetFiles("+^%dir";nul)$
                                        ^!Set %sub_dirs%=^$StrReplace("" "";"^p";"^%sub_dirs%";0;0)$
                                        ^!Set %sub_dirs%=^$StrReplace("nul";"";"^%sub_dirs%";0;0)$
                                        ^!Set %sub_dirs%=^$StrSort("^%sub_dirs%";0;1;1)$
                                        ^!InsertCode ^%sub_dirs%
                                        ^!Set %end%=^$GetDate(tt)$
                                        ^!Info Start: ^%start%^%NL%End: ^%End%
                                        ;end of clip

                                        H="DosDir"
                                        ^!Set %start%=^$GetDate(tt)$
                                        ^!Toolbar New Document
                                        ^!Set %dir%=^?{(T=D)Choose Folder To See FolderTree=C:\}
                                        ;StrTrim to get rid of empty line at the bottom
                                        ;--long line start
                                        ^$StrTrim(^$StrAsciiToAnsi("^$GetDosOutput(Dir ^%dir% /b /ad /s)$")$)
                                        $
                                        ;--long line end
                                        ^!Replace "$" >> "\\" RAWS
                                        ^!Jump Doc_Start
                                        ^!InsertText ^%dir%^P
                                        ^!Set %end%=^$GetDate(tt)$
                                        ^!Info Start: ^%start%^%NL%End: ^%End%
                                        ;end of clip
                                      • Sheri
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Aug 30 2:52 PM
                                          Here are a few of the differences on my D drive:

                                          D:\Documents and Settings\Sheri\.assistant\
                                          D:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Templates\1033\Pages\2cmenul.tem\
                                          D:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Templates\1033\Pages\3cmenul.tem\

                                          It appears that for all the rejects, the dot in the directory name
                                          follows a "\" or the literal "nul"

                                        • hsavage
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Aug 30 3:31 PM
                                            Sheri wrote:
                                            > John,
                                            >
                                            > Here are a few special characters I had:
                                            >
                                            > æ á ê é
                                            >
                                            > Harvey,
                                            >
                                            > Below are the two clips I ran; just reran on my C drive where there
                                            > were fewer difference. The first clip produced 5854 lines, the
                                            > second 5859. I then used my "stop words" clip making the first list
                                            > the stop list to the second, and it produced this output:
                                            >
                                            > Regards,
                                            > Sheri
                                            >
                                            > H="listdir"
                                            > ^!Set %start%=^$GetDate(tt)$
                                            > ^!Toolbar New Document
                                            > ^!Set %dir%=^?{(T=D)Choose Folder To See FolderTree=C:\}
                                            > ^!Set %sub_dirs%=^$GetFiles("+^%dir";nul)$
                                            > ^!Set %sub_dirs%=^$StrReplace("" "";"^p";"^%sub_dirs%";0;0)$
                                            > ^!Set %sub_dirs%=^$StrReplace("nul";"";"^%sub_dirs%";0;0)$
                                            > ^!Set %sub_dirs%=^$StrSort("^%sub_dirs%";0;1;1)$
                                            > ^!InsertCode ^%sub_dirs%
                                            > ^!Set %end%=^$GetDate(tt)$
                                            > ^!Info Start: ^%start%^%NL%End: ^%End%
                                            > ;end of clip

                                            Sheri,

                                            It's very curious, I don't have any folders with the listed characters,
                                            (æ á ê é), I'll create a few and try more testing.

                                            FIO, John Mitchell pointed out, in the line - ^!Set
                                            %sub_dirs%=^$GetFiles("+^%dir";nul)$ - I accidentally dropped the
                                            closing percent(%) in ^%dir%, I had this - +^%dir";nul. I don't know if
                                            that would cause the discrepancy in the listing or not.

                                            ºvº
                                            2006.08.30
                                            -Newspaper HeadLine...
                                            "Old School Pillars are Replaced by Alumni"
                                            hrs ø hsavage@...
                                          • Hugo Paulissen
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Aug 30 3:57 PM
                                              Hi hrs,

                                              Sheri sent us this, I guess it was her...

                                              ^!Set %start%=^$GetDate(tt)$
                                              ^!Toolbar New Document
                                              ^!Set %dir%=^?{(T=D)Choose Folder To See FolderTree=C:\}
                                              ^!Set %sub_dirs%=^$GetFiles("+^%dir";nul)$
                                              ^!Set %sub_dirs%=^$StrReplace("" "";"^p";"^%sub_dirs%";0;0)$
                                              ^!Set %sub_dirs%=^$StrReplace("nul";"";"^%sub_dirs%";0;0)$
                                              ^!Set %sub_dirs%=^$StrSort("^%sub_dirs%";0;1;1)$
                                              ^!InsertCode ^%sub_dirs%
                                              ^!Set %end%=^$GetDate(tt)$
                                              ^!Info Start: ^%start%^%NL%End: ^%End%
                                              ;end of clip

                                              I ran the clip and it found

                                              C:\Documents and Settings\Hugo\My Documents\My Music\iTunes\iTunes
                                              Music\National du Thèâtre du Bolchoï\

                                              without a problem!

                                              Took about two minutes to display 3500 folders (I didn't know it was
                                              that much).

                                              Hugo

                                              hsavage wrote:
                                              > Sheri wrote:
                                              > > John,
                                              > >
                                              > > Here are a few special characters I had:
                                              > >
                                              > > æ á ê é
                                              > >
                                              > > Harvey,
                                              > >
                                              > > Below are the two clips I ran; just reran on my C drive where there
                                              > > were fewer difference. The first clip produced 5854 lines, the
                                              > > second 5859. I then used my "stop words" clip making the first list
                                              > > the stop list to the second, and it produced this output:
                                              > >
                                              > > Regards,
                                              > > Sheri
                                              > >
                                              > > H="listdir"
                                              > > ^!Set %start%=^$GetDate(tt)$
                                              > > ^!Toolbar New Document
                                              > > ^!Set %dir%=^?{(T=D)Choose Folder To See FolderTree=C:\}
                                              > > ^!Set %sub_dirs%=^$GetFiles("+^%dir";nul)$
                                              > > ^!Set %sub_dirs%=^$StrReplace("" "";"^p";"^%sub_dirs%";0;0)$
                                              > > ^!Set %sub_dirs%=^$StrReplace("nul";"";"^%sub_dirs%";0;0)$
                                              > > ^!Set %sub_dirs%=^$StrSort("^%sub_dirs%";0;1;1)$
                                              > > ^!InsertCode ^%sub_dirs%
                                              > > ^!Set %end%=^$GetDate(tt)$
                                              > > ^!Info Start: ^%start%^%NL%End: ^%End%
                                              > > ;end of clip
                                              >
                                              > Sheri,
                                              >
                                              > It's very curious, I don't have any folders with the listed characters,
                                              > (æ á ê é), I'll create a few and try more testing.
                                              >
                                              > FIO, John Mitchell pointed out, in the line - ^!Set
                                              > %sub_dirs%=^$GetFiles("+^%dir";nul)$ - I accidentally dropped the
                                              > closing percent(%) in ^%dir%, I had this - +^%dir";nul. I don't know if
                                              > that would cause the discrepancy in the listing or not.
                                              >
                                              > ºvº
                                              > 2006.08.30
                                              > -Newspaper HeadLine...
                                              > "Old School Pillars are Replaced by Alumni"
                                              > hrs ø hsavage@...

                                              > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                            • hsavage
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Aug 30 4:55 PM
                                                Hugo Paulissen wrote:
                                                > Hi hrs,
                                                >
                                                > Sheri sent us this, I guess it was her...
                                                >
                                                > ^!Set %start%=^$GetDate(tt)$
                                                > ^!Toolbar New Document

                                                > ^!Set %dir%=^?{(T=D)Choose Folder To See FolderTree=C:\}
                                                > ^!Set %sub_dirs%=^$GetFiles("+^%dir";nul)$
                                                > ^!Set %sub_dirs%=^$StrReplace("" "";"^p";"^%sub_dirs%";0;0)$
                                                > ^!Set %sub_dirs%=^$StrReplace("nul";"";"^%sub_dirs%";0;0)$
                                                > ^!Set %sub_dirs%=^$StrSort("^%sub_dirs%";0;1;1)$

                                                > ^!InsertCode ^%sub_dirs%
                                                > ^!Set %end%=^$GetDate(tt)$
                                                > ^!Info Start: ^%start%^%NL%End: ^%End%
                                                > ;end of clip
                                                >
                                                > I ran the clip and it found
                                                >
                                                > C:\Documents and Settings\Hugo\My Documents\My Music\iTunes\iTunes
                                                > Music\National du Thèâtre du Bolchoï\
                                                >
                                                > without a problem!
                                                >
                                                > Took about two minutes to display 3500 folders (I didn't know it was
                                                > that much).
                                                >
                                                > Hugo

                                                Hugo,

                                                That's basically my clip with a couple of additions on top and bottom.
                                                I'm glad it worked that well, 3,500 folders is quite a few.

                                                Don't know if it makes a difference but, in the first ^!Set %sub_dir%=
                                                line I dropped a percent when defining '^%dir'.

                                                Message 23 of 25 , Aug 30 5:56 PM

                                                  > Sheri wrote:
                                                  > > John,
                                                  > >
                                                  > > Here are a few special characters I had:
                                                  > >
                                                  > > æ á ê é
                                                  > >

                                                  > It's very curious, I don't have any folders with the listed
                                                  characters,
                                                  > (æ á ê é), I'll create a few and try more testing.

                                                  Hi again,

                                                  In case there was any confusion, it is only when using ^$GetDosOutput
                                                  ()$ that there's a need to convert characters. If the characters
                                                  look like above in Windows Explorer, they look nothing like that
                                                  when listed with a dir command in ^$GetDosOutput$ (without
                                                  conversion).

                                                  I know sometimes variables don't work when missing the closing
                                                  percent, but I tried adding the closing parenthesis and in this case
                                                  it made no difference. I also tried changing nul to NUL: in the
                                                  command and it made no difference.

                                                  It took me a long time to figure out how to deal with accented
                                                  characters:

                                                  And the subject of a "D" attribute for ^$GetFiles$ has come up
                                                  before lol.

                                                  Above posts were from 2000. I was newbie <G>

                                                • John Zeman
                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Aug 30 6:20 PM

                                                    > In case there was any confusion, it is only when using ^$GetDosOutput
                                                    > ()$ that there's a need to convert characters. If the characters
                                                    > look like above in Windows Explorer, they look nothing like that
                                                    > when listed with a dir command in ^$GetDosOutput$ (without
                                                    > conversion).

                                                    Sheri don't hold me to this but I seem to recall the Microsoft command
                                                    interpreter does not support unicode although XP itself does.

                                                    I discovered this a couple years ago when I was writing a batch file
                                                    for a German friend and found out his assigned Windows codepage was
                                                    quite different than mine, in what it returned.

                                                    So I'm not surprised to read that ^$GetDosOutput$ can return different
                                                    results for different users in different countries.

                                                    John
                                                  • Alec Burgess
                                                    Message 25 of 25 , Sep 17, 2006
                                                      Jody:

                                                      On 8/27/06, Jody <kjv-av1611@...> wrote:
                                                      "NoteTabbers Assistant Library Page
                                                      http://www.notetab.net/html/library.htm
                                                      Direct download for DirStuff
                                                      http://www.notetab.net/zip/dirstuff.zip"

                                                      I went to get Dirstuff and noticed on that page:

                                                      NoteTab Clipbook Library Page
                                                      "Download all my libraries (.clb files for NoteTab Pro or Standard)
                                                      below combined in a self-extracting file. (77kb zipped)"

                                                      I figured I could get everything available in one fell swoop and sort
                                                      it out at my leisure.

                                                      That link gives a 404 - then I noticed that the drop-down link "Old
                                                      Worn Out Stuff" goes to just above the above. Maybe you could add the
                                                      Heading for the unwary (like me)?

                                                      Any chance of a post 5.0 "All my libraries" getting created any time soon?

                                                      --
                                                      Regards ... Alec