[Clip] Re: NTP4 clip no longer works in NTP5

  • Jelks Cabaniss
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 6, 2006
      Jeff Scism wrote:
      > How about a CTRL+J, to join the selection then requote it?

      That will work for short lines, but it would put a single '> ' at the
      beginning of long paragraphs. *Joining* means getting rid of hard
      line breaks. I *want* those hard breaks, so there will be a '> ' in
      front of *each* line when I quote the selection. That's why I use a
      CTRL+SHIFT+M instead of a CTRL+J.

      Anyway, my clip now works with a delay inserted after the CTRL+SHIFT+M.

      /Jelks
    • Sheri
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 7, 2006
        > ^!If ^$GetSelSize$ > 0 Skip
        > ^!Select ALL
        > ^!Menu Modify/E-mail/Unquote Text
        > ;
        > ; ^$StrFormat("^$GetSelection$";0;60;0)$
        > ^!InsertSelect ^$StrFormat("^$GetSelection$";0;60;0)$
        > ;
        > ^!Keyboard CTRL+Q

        Yes, but I would avoid the ^!Keyboard command and use a Menu command
        there too, i.e.,

        ^!Menu Modify/E-mail/Quote Text

        For one thing, the same keyboard shortcut is not necessarily
        selected by all users. For another, in some configurations there is
        the potential need for delays when using ^!Keyboard. So wherever
        possible I try to avoid ^!Keyboard commands.

      • Jelks Cabaniss
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 7, 2006
          Sheri wrote:
          > Yes, but I would avoid the ^!Keyboard command and use a Menu
          > command there too ...
          > For one thing, the same keyboard shortcut is not necessarily
          > selected by all users. For another, in some configurations
          > there is the potential need for delays when using
          > ^!Keyboard. So wherever possible I try to avoid ^!Keyboard
          > commands.

          You convinced me. The clip, rewritten:

          ^!If ^$GetSelSize$ > 0 Skip
          ^!Select ALL
          ^!Menu Modify/E-mail/Unquote Text
          ^!InsertSelect ^$StrFormat("^$GetSelection$";0;60;0)$
          ^!Menu Modify/E-mail/Quote Text

          Thanks to you and hsavage for all the help!

          (My goodness, I sure have a *lot* of clips using ^!Keyboard. *Cringe*. :)

          /Jelks
        • Don Daugherty
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 9, 2006
            How do you all use the following clip -- copy something from email to
            Notetab, run the clip, then copy back into email?

            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 9, 2006
              Don Daugherty wrote:
              > How do you all use the following clip -- copy something from email to
              > Notetab, run the clip, then copy back into email?
              > > ^!If ^$GetSelSize$ > 0 Skip
              > > ^!Select ALL
              > > ^!Menu Modify/E-mail/Unquote Text
              > > ^!InsertSelect ^$StrFormat("^$GetSelection$";0;60;0)$
              > > ^!Menu Modify/E-mail/Quote Text

              Yes, that's the primary purpose. Most email software (Outlook, OE,
              web-based email) can end up mangling quoting pretty badly. That clip
              just "cleans it all up". Note that it reduces everything selected to
              just one level of quotes, so if there are multiple levels, I then
              select those blocks and press CTRL+Q to add another level of quotes as
              many times as necessary.

              Also -- and this is just a personal preference, YMMV -- I changed the
              default NTP quote character '>' in the Options to have a space after
              it, i.e. '> '.

              /Jelks
            • Ray Shapp
              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 13, 2006
                Hi Jelks, Sheri, and Harvey:

                Thanks for your three-way discussion about this clip. I'm now using the final
                version posted by Jelks on 8/7/2006.

                My question: Where is the delay? I looked at both the commands (^$StrFormat
                and ^$GetSelection$) in Help, but I don't see the introduction of any delay in
                them.

                Your clip is running fine on my 3GHz PC (very few other processing running
                simultaneously).

                Ray Shapp
                WinXP Home SP2
              • hsavage
                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 13, 2006
                  Ray Shapp wrote:
                  > Hi Jelks, Sheri, and Harvey:
                  >
                  > Thanks for your three-way discussion about this clip. I'm now using
                  the final
                  > version posted by Jelks on 8/7/2006.
                  >
                  > My question: Where is the delay? I looked at both the commands
                  (^$StrFormat
                  > and ^$GetSelection$) in Help, but I don't see the introduction of any
                  delay in
                  > them.
                  >
                  > Ray Shapp
                  > WinXP Home SP2

                  Ray,

                  The 'delay' was discussed in reference to an earlier clip when using
                  ^!Keyboard commands, as below from a previous email. In the 4th line
                  down is an entry '&1', in keyboard commands the '&' precedes a number
                  representing fractions of a second, in this case it's milliseconds, my
                  entry, '&1' represents 1 millisecond, '&500' represents a half second.

                  ^!If ^$GetSelSize$ > 0 Skip
                  ^!Select ALL
                  ^!Keyboard CTRL+SHIFT+Q
                  ^!Keyboard CTRL+SHIFT+M &1 #0# TAB #60# TAB ENTER
                  ^!Keyboard CTRL+Q

                  You're probably already be aware of this but I thought, just in case
                  I'll answer to explain.

                  ºvº
                  2006.08.13
                  -Newspaper HeadLine...
                  "Enraged Cow Injures Farmer with Ax"
                  hrs ø hsavage@...
                • Ray Shapp
                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 14, 2006
                    Hi Harvey,

                    Great help, and a very funny tag line. I still giggle when I picture the
                    ax-carrying farmer being injured. Then shifting gears, I see an ax-wielding
                    cow.

                    Regards,

                    Ray Shapp