[Clip] Re: NTP4 clip no longer works in NTP5

  • Jelks Cabaniss
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 6, 2006
      hsavage wrote:
      > The addition of, apparently, any length delay causes the
      > clip to work correctly. This would seem to indicate, either
      > v5 isn't presenting the dialog boxes quickly enough or, the
      > new input control runs commands a bit more quickly. I added
      > a one millisecond delay to your clip and that works too.

      Interesting -- a one millisecond delay doesn't cut it on my 1 ghz
      machine! The fastest I could get it to work was with a 14 millisecond
      delay. At 13, it bombs. Seems to be machine-dependent. Maybe I need
      to henceforth make them all 25 (50? 100?) millisecond delays in case I
      ever use them on a slower machine (or share these clips with others on
      slower machines).

      Looks like all our 4.9x clips should be verified, not just
      RegExp-using ones.

      /Jelks
    • Jelks Cabaniss
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 6, 2006
        Jeff Scism wrote:
        > How about a CTRL+J, to join the selection then requote it?

        That will work for short lines, but it would put a single '> ' at the
        beginning of long paragraphs. *Joining* means getting rid of hard
        line breaks. I *want* those hard breaks, so there will be a '> ' in
        front of *each* line when I quote the selection. That's why I use a
        CTRL+SHIFT+M instead of a CTRL+J.

        Anyway, my clip now works with a delay inserted after the CTRL+SHIFT+M.

        /Jelks
      • Sheri
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 7, 2006
          > ^!If ^$GetSelSize$ > 0 Skip
          > ^!Select ALL
          > ^!Menu Modify/E-mail/Unquote Text
          > ;
          > ; ^$StrFormat("^$GetSelection$";0;60;0)$
          > ^!InsertSelect ^$StrFormat("^$GetSelection$";0;60;0)$
          > ;
          > ^!Keyboard CTRL+Q

          Yes, but I would avoid the ^!Keyboard command and use a Menu command
          there too, i.e.,

          ^!Menu Modify/E-mail/Quote Text

          For one thing, the same keyboard shortcut is not necessarily
          selected by all users. For another, in some configurations there is
          the potential need for delays when using ^!Keyboard. So wherever
          possible I try to avoid ^!Keyboard commands.

        • Jelks Cabaniss
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 7, 2006
            Sheri wrote:
            > Yes, but I would avoid the ^!Keyboard command and use a Menu
            > command there too ...
            > For one thing, the same keyboard shortcut is not necessarily
            > selected by all users. For another, in some configurations
            > there is the potential need for delays when using
            > ^!Keyboard. So wherever possible I try to avoid ^!Keyboard
            > commands.

            You convinced me. The clip, rewritten:

            ^!If ^$GetSelSize$ > 0 Skip
            ^!Select ALL
            ^!Menu Modify/E-mail/Unquote Text
            ^!InsertSelect ^$StrFormat("^$GetSelection$";0;60;0)$
            ^!Menu Modify/E-mail/Quote Text

            Thanks to you and hsavage for all the help!

            (My goodness, I sure have a *lot* of clips using ^!Keyboard. *Cringe*. :)

            /Jelks
          • Don Daugherty
            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 9, 2006
              How do you all use the following clip -- copy something from email to
              Notetab, run the clip, then copy back into email?

              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 9, 2006
                Don Daugherty wrote:
                > How do you all use the following clip -- copy something from email to
                > Notetab, run the clip, then copy back into email?
                > > ^!If ^$GetSelSize$ > 0 Skip
                > > ^!Select ALL
                > > ^!Menu Modify/E-mail/Unquote Text
                > > ^!InsertSelect ^$StrFormat("^$GetSelection$";0;60;0)$
                > > ^!Menu Modify/E-mail/Quote Text

                Yes, that's the primary purpose. Most email software (Outlook, OE,
                web-based email) can end up mangling quoting pretty badly. That clip
                just "cleans it all up". Note that it reduces everything selected to
                just one level of quotes, so if there are multiple levels, I then
                select those blocks and press CTRL+Q to add another level of quotes as
                many times as necessary.

                Also -- and this is just a personal preference, YMMV -- I changed the
                default NTP quote character '>' in the Options to have a space after
                it, i.e. '> '.

                /Jelks
              • Ray Shapp
                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 13, 2006
                  Hi Jelks, Sheri, and Harvey:

                  Thanks for your three-way discussion about this clip. I'm now using the final
                  version posted by Jelks on 8/7/2006.

                  My question: Where is the delay? I looked at both the commands (^$StrFormat
                  and ^$GetSelection$) in Help, but I don't see the introduction of any delay in
                  them.

                  Your clip is running fine on my 3GHz PC (very few other processing running
                  simultaneously).

                  Ray Shapp
                  WinXP Home SP2
                • hsavage
                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 13, 2006
                    Ray Shapp wrote:
                    > Hi Jelks, Sheri, and Harvey:
                    >
                    > Thanks for your three-way discussion about this clip. I'm now using
                    the final
                    > version posted by Jelks on 8/7/2006.
                    >
                    > My question: Where is the delay? I looked at both the commands
                    (^$StrFormat
                    > and ^$GetSelection$) in Help, but I don't see the introduction of any
                    delay in
                    > them.
                    >
                    > Ray Shapp
                    > WinXP Home SP2

                    Ray,

                    The 'delay' was discussed in reference to an earlier clip when using
                    ^!Keyboard commands, as below from a previous email. In the 4th line
                    down is an entry '&1', in keyboard commands the '&' precedes a number
                    representing fractions of a second, in this case it's milliseconds, my
                    entry, '&1' represents 1 millisecond, '&500' represents a half second.

                    ^!If ^$GetSelSize$ > 0 Skip
                    ^!Select ALL
                    ^!Keyboard CTRL+SHIFT+Q
                    ^!Keyboard CTRL+SHIFT+M &1 #0# TAB #60# TAB ENTER
                    ^!Keyboard CTRL+Q

                    You're probably already be aware of this but I thought, just in case
                    I'll answer to explain.

                    ºvº
                    2006.08.13
                    -Newspaper HeadLine...
                    "Enraged Cow Injures Farmer with Ax"
                    hrs ø hsavage@...
                  • Ray Shapp
                    Message 9 of 16 , Aug 14, 2006
                      Hi Harvey,

                      Great help, and a very funny tag line. I still giggle when I picture the
                      ax-carrying farmer being injured. Then shifting gears, I see an ax-wielding
                      cow.

                      Regards,

                      Ray Shapp