Re: [Clip] Re: NTP4 clip no longer works in NTP5

  • Jeff Scism
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 6 9:01 AM
      How about a CTRL+J, to join the selection then requote it?

      ~~

      Jeffery Scism,
      USGenWeb Project Local Coordinator Rep
      NC/NE region

      Jelks Cabaniss wrote:

      >Jeff Scism wrote:
      >

      >>Tried a ^!KEYBOARD CTRL+A CTRL+Q ?
      >>

      >No, because that would just quote everything, and that's not what my
      >"Quote reformat" clip is intended for. "Quote reformat" first
      >UNquotes the selection (or the entire doc if there is none), *then*
      >reformats it, *then* quotes it. In other words, it takes stuff like
      >this found in the wild:
      >

      >>>Now

      >>for all bad men to

      >>>quotes that are

      >and turns it into this:
      >

      >>Now is the time for all bad men to use Notetab Pro and
      >>remove these extraneous quotes that are SO annoying.
      >>

      >Incidentally, the clip now works from the clipbar button too.
      >Apparently, when you call a clip from the button, it uses a *cached*
      >version of the clip, not the modified version. Exiting and restarting
      >Notetab fixed that.
      >
      >/Jelks

      >Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Jelks Cabaniss
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 6 10:04 AM
        hsavage wrote:
        > The addition of, apparently, any length delay causes the
        > clip to work correctly. This would seem to indicate, either
        > v5 isn't presenting the dialog boxes quickly enough or, the
        > new input control runs commands a bit more quickly. I added
        > a one millisecond delay to your clip and that works too.

        Interesting -- a one millisecond delay doesn't cut it on my 1 ghz
        machine! The fastest I could get it to work was with a 14 millisecond
        delay. At 13, it bombs. Seems to be machine-dependent. Maybe I need
        to henceforth make them all 25 (50? 100?) millisecond delays in case I
        ever use them on a slower machine (or share these clips with others on
        slower machines).

        Looks like all our 4.9x clips should be verified, not just
        RegExp-using ones.

        /Jelks
      • Jelks Cabaniss
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 6 10:16 AM
          Jeff Scism wrote:
          > How about a CTRL+J, to join the selection then requote it?

          That will work for short lines, but it would put a single '> ' at the
          beginning of long paragraphs. *Joining* means getting rid of hard
          line breaks. I *want* those hard breaks, so there will be a '> ' in
          front of *each* line when I quote the selection. That's why I use a
          CTRL+SHIFT+M instead of a CTRL+J.

          Anyway, my clip now works with a delay inserted after the CTRL+SHIFT+M.

          /Jelks
        • Sheri
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 7 9:26 AM
            > ^!If ^$GetSelSize$ > 0 Skip
            > ^!Select ALL
            > ^!Menu Modify/E-mail/Unquote Text
            > ;
            > ; ^$StrFormat("^$GetSelection$";0;60;0)$
            > ^!InsertSelect ^$StrFormat("^$GetSelection$";0;60;0)$
            > ;
            > ^!Keyboard CTRL+Q

            Yes, but I would avoid the ^!Keyboard command and use a Menu command
            there too, i.e.,

            ^!Menu Modify/E-mail/Quote Text

            For one thing, the same keyboard shortcut is not necessarily
            selected by all users. For another, in some configurations there is
            the potential need for delays when using ^!Keyboard. So wherever
            possible I try to avoid ^!Keyboard commands.

          • Jelks Cabaniss
            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 7 12:29 PM
              Sheri wrote:
              > Yes, but I would avoid the ^!Keyboard command and use a Menu
              > command there too ...
              > For one thing, the same keyboard shortcut is not necessarily
              > selected by all users. For another, in some configurations
              > there is the potential need for delays when using
              > ^!Keyboard. So wherever possible I try to avoid ^!Keyboard
              > commands.

              You convinced me. The clip, rewritten:

              ^!If ^$GetSelSize$ > 0 Skip
              ^!Select ALL
              ^!Menu Modify/E-mail/Unquote Text
              ^!InsertSelect ^$StrFormat("^$GetSelection$";0;60;0)$
              ^!Menu Modify/E-mail/Quote Text

              Thanks to you and hsavage for all the help!

              (My goodness, I sure have a *lot* of clips using ^!Keyboard. *Cringe*. :)

              /Jelks
            • Don Daugherty
              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 9 7:26 AM
                How do you all use the following clip -- copy something from email to
                Notetab, run the clip, then copy back into email?

                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 9 8:03 AM
                  Don Daugherty wrote:
                  > How do you all use the following clip -- copy something from email to
                  > Notetab, run the clip, then copy back into email?
                  > > ^!If ^$GetSelSize$ > 0 Skip
                  > > ^!Select ALL
                  > > ^!Menu Modify/E-mail/Unquote Text
                  > > ^!InsertSelect ^$StrFormat("^$GetSelection$";0;60;0)$
                  > > ^!Menu Modify/E-mail/Quote Text

                  Yes, that's the primary purpose. Most email software (Outlook, OE,
                  web-based email) can end up mangling quoting pretty badly. That clip
                  just "cleans it all up". Note that it reduces everything selected to
                  just one level of quotes, so if there are multiple levels, I then
                  select those blocks and press CTRL+Q to add another level of quotes as
                  many times as necessary.

                  Also -- and this is just a personal preference, YMMV -- I changed the
                  default NTP quote character '>' in the Options to have a space after
                  it, i.e. '> '.

                  /Jelks
                • Ray Shapp
                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 13 9:40 AM
                    Hi Jelks, Sheri, and Harvey:

                    Thanks for your three-way discussion about this clip. I'm now using the final
                    version posted by Jelks on 8/7/2006.

                    My question: Where is the delay? I looked at both the commands (^$StrFormat
                    and ^$GetSelection$) in Help, but I don't see the introduction of any delay in
                    them.

                    Your clip is running fine on my 3GHz PC (very few other processing running
                    simultaneously).

                    Ray Shapp
                    WinXP Home SP2
                  • hsavage
                    Message 9 of 16 , Aug 13 1:12 PM
                      Ray Shapp wrote:
                      > Hi Jelks, Sheri, and Harvey:
                      >
                      > Thanks for your three-way discussion about this clip. I'm now using
                      the final
                      > version posted by Jelks on 8/7/2006.
                      >
                      > My question: Where is the delay? I looked at both the commands
                      (^$StrFormat
                      > and ^$GetSelection$) in Help, but I don't see the introduction of any
                      delay in
                      > them.
                      >
                      > Ray Shapp
                      > WinXP Home SP2

                      Ray,

                      The 'delay' was discussed in reference to an earlier clip when using
                      ^!Keyboard commands, as below from a previous email. In the 4th line
                      down is an entry '&1', in keyboard commands the '&' precedes a number
                      representing fractions of a second, in this case it's milliseconds, my
                      entry, '&1' represents 1 millisecond, '&500' represents a half second.

                      ^!If ^$GetSelSize$ > 0 Skip
                      ^!Select ALL
                      ^!Keyboard CTRL+SHIFT+Q
                      ^!Keyboard CTRL+SHIFT+M &1 #0# TAB #60# TAB ENTER
                      ^!Keyboard CTRL+Q

                      You're probably already be aware of this but I thought, just in case
                      I'll answer to explain.

                      ºvº
                      2006.08.13
                      -Newspaper HeadLine...
                      "Enraged Cow Injures Farmer with Ax"
                      hrs ø hsavage@...
                    • Ray Shapp
                      Message 10 of 16 , Aug 14 12:16 AM
                        Hi Harvey,

                        Great help, and a very funny tag line. I still giggle when I picture the
                        ax-carrying farmer being injured. Then shifting gears, I see an ax-wielding
                        cow.

                        Regards,

                        Ray Shapp