[Clip] Re: NTP4 clip no longer works in NTP5

  • Jelks Cabaniss
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 6, 2006
      Jeff Scism wrote:

      > Tried a ^!KEYBOARD CTRL+A CTRL+Q ?

      No, because that would just quote everything, and that's not what my
      "Quote reformat" clip is intended for. "Quote reformat" first
      UNquotes the selection (or the entire doc if there is none), *then*
      reformats it, *then* quotes it. In other words, it takes stuff like
      this found in the wild:

      > > Now
      > for all bad men to
      > > > remove these extraneous
      > > quotes that are
      >> > SO annoying.

      and turns it into this:

      > Now is the time for all bad men to use Notetab Pro and
      > remove these extraneous quotes that are SO annoying.

      Incidentally, the clip now works from the clipbar button too.
      Apparently, when you call a clip from the button, it uses a *cached*
      version of the clip, not the modified version. Exiting and restarting
      Notetab fixed that.

      /Jelks
    • hsavage
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 6, 2006
        Jelks Cabaniss wrote:
        > Thank you, Sheri.
        >
        > First, let me just tell you I got my original code working. Well
        > *almost* working -- I had to put that delay in I spoke of. But with
        > that modification it does work.

        ^!If ^$GetSelSize$ > 0 Skip
        ^!Select ALL
        ^!Keyboard CTRL+SHIFT+Q
        ^!Keyboard CTRL+SHIFT+M &1 #0# TAB #60# TAB ENTER
        ^!Keyboard CTRL+Q

        The addition of, apparently, any length delay causes the clip to work
        correctly. This would seem to indicate, either v5 isn't presenting the
        dialog boxes quickly enough or, the new input control runs commands a
        bit more quickly. I added a one millisecond delay to your clip and that
        works too. I have other clips that open dialogs and they all use time
        delays to synchronize things.

        > I did try your version, but it didn't quite work. For one, it needs
        > to "requote" at the end of the clip (which is why mine has the
        > ^!Keyboard CTRL+Q at the end). So I added that, but only the last
        > line of the original selection ended up being quoted.
        >
        > /Jelks

        ^!If ^$GetSelSize$ > 0 Skip
        ^!Select ALL
        ^!Menu Modify/E-mail/Unquote Text
        ;
        ; ^$StrFormat("^$GetSelection$";0;60;0)$
        ^!InsertSelect ^$StrFormat("^$GetSelection$";0;60;0)$
        ;
        ^!Keyboard CTRL+Q

        ^$StrFormat in the first clip formats the selected string in the edit
        window and deselects the highlighting, whatever is selected. Adding
        ^!InsertSelect to the beginning of that line causes the string to be
        formatted in memory, then inserted into the selected area leaving the
        text marked so it can be re-quoted.

        ºvº
        06.08.06_10.19
        "Communication Skills I; Tears - The Last Resort, Not the First."
        hrs ø hsavage@...
      • Jeff Scism
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 6, 2006
          How about a CTRL+J, to join the selection then requote it?

          ~~

          Jeffery Scism,
          USGenWeb Project Local Coordinator Rep
          NC/NE region

          Jelks Cabaniss wrote:

          >Jeff Scism wrote:
          >

          >>Tried a ^!KEYBOARD CTRL+A CTRL+Q ?
          >>

          >No, because that would just quote everything, and that's not what my
          >"Quote reformat" clip is intended for. "Quote reformat" first
          >UNquotes the selection (or the entire doc if there is none), *then*
          >reformats it, *then* quotes it. In other words, it takes stuff like
          >this found in the wild:
          >

          >>>Now

          >>for all bad men to

          >>>quotes that are

          >and turns it into this:
          >

          >>Now is the time for all bad men to use Notetab Pro and
          >>remove these extraneous quotes that are SO annoying.
          >>

          >Incidentally, the clip now works from the clipbar button too.
          >Apparently, when you call a clip from the button, it uses a *cached*
          >version of the clip, not the modified version. Exiting and restarting
          >Notetab fixed that.
          >
          >/Jelks

          >Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Jelks Cabaniss
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 6, 2006
            hsavage wrote:
            > The addition of, apparently, any length delay causes the
            > clip to work correctly. This would seem to indicate, either
            > v5 isn't presenting the dialog boxes quickly enough or, the
            > new input control runs commands a bit more quickly. I added
            > a one millisecond delay to your clip and that works too.

            Interesting -- a one millisecond delay doesn't cut it on my 1 ghz
            machine! The fastest I could get it to work was with a 14 millisecond
            delay. At 13, it bombs. Seems to be machine-dependent. Maybe I need
            to henceforth make them all 25 (50? 100?) millisecond delays in case I
            ever use them on a slower machine (or share these clips with others on
            slower machines).

            Looks like all our 4.9x clips should be verified, not just
            RegExp-using ones.

            /Jelks
          • Jelks Cabaniss
            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 6, 2006
              Jeff Scism wrote:
              > How about a CTRL+J, to join the selection then requote it?

              That will work for short lines, but it would put a single '> ' at the
              beginning of long paragraphs. *Joining* means getting rid of hard
              line breaks. I *want* those hard breaks, so there will be a '> ' in
              front of *each* line when I quote the selection. That's why I use a
              CTRL+SHIFT+M instead of a CTRL+J.

              Anyway, my clip now works with a delay inserted after the CTRL+SHIFT+M.

              /Jelks
            • Sheri
              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 7, 2006
                > ^!If ^$GetSelSize$ > 0 Skip
                > ^!Select ALL
                > ^!Menu Modify/E-mail/Unquote Text
                > ;
                > ; ^$StrFormat("^$GetSelection$";0;60;0)$
                > ^!InsertSelect ^$StrFormat("^$GetSelection$";0;60;0)$
                > ;
                > ^!Keyboard CTRL+Q

                Yes, but I would avoid the ^!Keyboard command and use a Menu command
                there too, i.e.,

                ^!Menu Modify/E-mail/Quote Text

                For one thing, the same keyboard shortcut is not necessarily
                selected by all users. For another, in some configurations there is
                the potential need for delays when using ^!Keyboard. So wherever
                possible I try to avoid ^!Keyboard commands.

              • Jelks Cabaniss
                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 7, 2006
                  Sheri wrote:
                  > Yes, but I would avoid the ^!Keyboard command and use a Menu
                  > command there too ...
                  > For one thing, the same keyboard shortcut is not necessarily
                  > selected by all users. For another, in some configurations
                  > there is the potential need for delays when using
                  > ^!Keyboard. So wherever possible I try to avoid ^!Keyboard
                  > commands.

                  You convinced me. The clip, rewritten:

                  ^!If ^$GetSelSize$ > 0 Skip
                  ^!Select ALL
                  ^!Menu Modify/E-mail/Unquote Text
                  ^!InsertSelect ^$StrFormat("^$GetSelection$";0;60;0)$
                  ^!Menu Modify/E-mail/Quote Text

                  Thanks to you and hsavage for all the help!

                  (My goodness, I sure have a *lot* of clips using ^!Keyboard. *Cringe*. :)

                  /Jelks
                • Don Daugherty
                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 9, 2006
                    How do you all use the following clip -- copy something from email to
                    Notetab, run the clip, then copy back into email?

                    Message 9 of 16 , Aug 9, 2006
                      Don Daugherty wrote:
                      > How do you all use the following clip -- copy something from email to
                      > Notetab, run the clip, then copy back into email?
                      > > ^!If ^$GetSelSize$ > 0 Skip
                      > > ^!Select ALL
                      > > ^!Menu Modify/E-mail/Unquote Text
                      > > ^!InsertSelect ^$StrFormat("^$GetSelection$";0;60;0)$
                      > > ^!Menu Modify/E-mail/Quote Text

                      Yes, that's the primary purpose. Most email software (Outlook, OE,
                      web-based email) can end up mangling quoting pretty badly. That clip
                      just "cleans it all up". Note that it reduces everything selected to
                      just one level of quotes, so if there are multiple levels, I then
                      select those blocks and press CTRL+Q to add another level of quotes as
                      many times as necessary.

                      Also -- and this is just a personal preference, YMMV -- I changed the
                      default NTP quote character '>' in the Options to have a space after
                      it, i.e. '> '.

                      /Jelks
                    • Ray Shapp
                      Message 10 of 16 , Aug 13, 2006
                        Hi Jelks, Sheri, and Harvey:

                        Thanks for your three-way discussion about this clip. I'm now using the final
                        version posted by Jelks on 8/7/2006.

                        My question: Where is the delay? I looked at both the commands (^$StrFormat
                        and ^$GetSelection$) in Help, but I don't see the introduction of any delay in
                        them.

                        Your clip is running fine on my 3GHz PC (very few other processing running
                        simultaneously).

                        Ray Shapp
                        WinXP Home SP2
                      • hsavage
                        Message 11 of 16 , Aug 13, 2006
                          Ray Shapp wrote:
                          > Hi Jelks, Sheri, and Harvey:
                          >
                          > Thanks for your three-way discussion about this clip. I'm now using
                          the final
                          > version posted by Jelks on 8/7/2006.
                          >
                          > My question: Where is the delay? I looked at both the commands
                          (^$StrFormat
                          > and ^$GetSelection$) in Help, but I don't see the introduction of any
                          delay in
                          > them.
                          >
                          > Ray Shapp
                          > WinXP Home SP2

                          Ray,

                          The 'delay' was discussed in reference to an earlier clip when using
                          ^!Keyboard commands, as below from a previous email. In the 4th line
                          down is an entry '&1', in keyboard commands the '&' precedes a number
                          representing fractions of a second, in this case it's milliseconds, my
                          entry, '&1' represents 1 millisecond, '&500' represents a half second.

                          ^!If ^$GetSelSize$ > 0 Skip
                          ^!Select ALL
                          ^!Keyboard CTRL+SHIFT+Q
                          ^!Keyboard CTRL+SHIFT+M &1 #0# TAB #60# TAB ENTER
                          ^!Keyboard CTRL+Q

                          You're probably already be aware of this but I thought, just in case
                          I'll answer to explain.

                          ºvº
                          2006.08.13
                          -Newspaper HeadLine...
                          "Enraged Cow Injures Farmer with Ax"
                          hrs ø hsavage@...
                        • Ray Shapp
                          Message 12 of 16 , Aug 14, 2006
                            Hi Harvey,

                            Great help, and a very funny tag line. I still giggle when I picture the
                            ax-carrying farmer being injured. Then shifting gears, I see an ax-wielding
                            cow.

                            Regards,

                            Ray Shapp