Re: [Clip] Re: NTP4 clip no longer works in NTP5

  • Jeff Scism
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 6, 2006
      Tried a ^!KEYBOARD CTRL+A CTRL+Q ?

      ~~

      Jeffery Scism,
      USGenWeb Project Local Coordinator Rep
      NC/NE region

      Jelks Cabaniss wrote:

      >Thank you, Sheri.
      >
      >First, let me just tell you I got my original code working. Well
      >*almost* working -- I had to put that delay in I spoke of. But with
      >that modification it does work. But here's the really weird part: it
      >only runs if I double-click the clip from the clipbook pane. If I run
      >it from the button it's been assigned to on the clipbar, it does as I
      >earlier described! ??? How can that possibly be? Yes, I've
      >double-checked to make sure the button points to that clip, but it
      >fails on clicking the button and yet works when double-clicking the
      >clip itself. Too strange.
      >
      >I did try your version, but it didn't quite work. For one, it needs
      >to "requote" at the end of the clip (which is why mine has the
      >^!Keyboard CTRL+Q at the end). So I added that, but only the last
      >line of the original selection ended up being quoted.
      >
      >Again, though, my old clip now works with an &50 delay added -- but it
      >only works from the clipbook pane! :)
      >
      >/Jelks
      >

      >--- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Sheri" <silvermoonwoman@...> wrote:
      >

      >>Hi Jelks,
      >>
      >>I'm not sure what's going on with that but fortunately you can still
      >>accomplish your Quote Reformat task like this:
      >>
      >>^!If ^$GetSelSize$ > 0 Skip
      >>^!Select ALL
      >>^!Menu Modify/E-mail/Unquote Text
      >>^$StrFormat("^$GetSelection$";0;60;No)$
      >>;end of clip
      >>
      >>Regards,
      >>Sheri
      >>
      >>--- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Jelks Cabaniss"
      >><jelkscabaniss@> wrote:
      >>

      >>I have a clip called "Quote Reformat" to reformat email-
      >>quoted text. I used it all the time in version 4, but it no
      >>longer works in version 5. Here's the clip:
      >>
      >>^!If ^$GetSelSize$ > 0 Skip
      >>^!Select ALL
      >>^!Keyboard CTRL+SHIFT+Q
      >>^!Keyboard CTRL+SHIFT+M #0# TAB #60# TAB ENTER
      >>^!Keyboard CTRL+Q
      >>
      >>What's happened the "Reformat Lines" dialog (line #4 above)
      >>is no longer "automated". Instead, it replaces the
      >>selection with a literal "0 TAB 60", and THEN gives me the
      >>"Reformat Lines" dialog. I even added a delay in that line
      >>like so:
      >>
      >>^!Keyboard CTRL+SHIFT+M &1000 #0# TAB #60# TAB ENTER
      >>
      >>but to no avail.
      >>
      >>Any ideas?
      >>
      >>Thanks in advance.
      >>
      >>/Jelks

      >Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Jelks Cabaniss
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 6, 2006
        Jeff Scism wrote:

        > Tried a ^!KEYBOARD CTRL+A CTRL+Q ?

        No, because that would just quote everything, and that's not what my
        "Quote reformat" clip is intended for. "Quote reformat" first
        UNquotes the selection (or the entire doc if there is none), *then*
        reformats it, *then* quotes it. In other words, it takes stuff like
        this found in the wild:

        > > Now
        > for all bad men to
        > > > remove these extraneous
        > > quotes that are
        >> > SO annoying.

        and turns it into this:

        > Now is the time for all bad men to use Notetab Pro and
        > remove these extraneous quotes that are SO annoying.

        Incidentally, the clip now works from the clipbar button too.
        Apparently, when you call a clip from the button, it uses a *cached*
        version of the clip, not the modified version. Exiting and restarting
        Notetab fixed that.

        /Jelks
      • hsavage
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 6, 2006
          Jelks Cabaniss wrote:
          > Thank you, Sheri.
          >
          > First, let me just tell you I got my original code working. Well
          > *almost* working -- I had to put that delay in I spoke of. But with
          > that modification it does work.

          ^!If ^$GetSelSize$ > 0 Skip
          ^!Select ALL
          ^!Keyboard CTRL+SHIFT+Q
          ^!Keyboard CTRL+SHIFT+M &1 #0# TAB #60# TAB ENTER
          ^!Keyboard CTRL+Q

          The addition of, apparently, any length delay causes the clip to work
          correctly. This would seem to indicate, either v5 isn't presenting the
          dialog boxes quickly enough or, the new input control runs commands a
          bit more quickly. I added a one millisecond delay to your clip and that
          works too. I have other clips that open dialogs and they all use time
          delays to synchronize things.

          > I did try your version, but it didn't quite work. For one, it needs
          > to "requote" at the end of the clip (which is why mine has the
          > ^!Keyboard CTRL+Q at the end). So I added that, but only the last
          > line of the original selection ended up being quoted.
          >
          > /Jelks

          ^!If ^$GetSelSize$ > 0 Skip
          ^!Select ALL
          ^!Menu Modify/E-mail/Unquote Text
          ;
          ; ^$StrFormat("^$GetSelection$";0;60;0)$
          ^!InsertSelect ^$StrFormat("^$GetSelection$";0;60;0)$
          ;
          ^!Keyboard CTRL+Q

          ^$StrFormat in the first clip formats the selected string in the edit
          window and deselects the highlighting, whatever is selected. Adding
          ^!InsertSelect to the beginning of that line causes the string to be
          formatted in memory, then inserted into the selected area leaving the
          text marked so it can be re-quoted.

          ºvº
          06.08.06_10.19
          "Communication Skills I; Tears - The Last Resort, Not the First."
          hrs ø hsavage@...
        • Jeff Scism
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 6, 2006
            How about a CTRL+J, to join the selection then requote it?

            ~~

            Jelks Cabaniss wrote:

            >Jeff Scism wrote:
            >

            >>Tried a ^!KEYBOARD CTRL+A CTRL+Q ?
            >>

            >No, because that would just quote everything, and that's not what my
            >"Quote reformat" clip is intended for. "Quote reformat" first
            >UNquotes the selection (or the entire doc if there is none), *then*
            >reformats it, *then* quotes it. In other words, it takes stuff like
            >this found in the wild:
            >

            >>>Now

            >>for all bad men to

            >>>quotes that are

            >and turns it into this:
            >

            >>Now is the time for all bad men to use Notetab Pro and
            >>remove these extraneous quotes that are SO annoying.
            >>

            >Incidentally, the clip now works from the clipbar button too.
            >Apparently, when you call a clip from the button, it uses a *cached*
            >version of the clip, not the modified version. Exiting and restarting
            >Notetab fixed that.
            >
            >/Jelks

            >Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Jelks Cabaniss
            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 6, 2006
              hsavage wrote:
              > The addition of, apparently, any length delay causes the
              > clip to work correctly. This would seem to indicate, either
              > v5 isn't presenting the dialog boxes quickly enough or, the
              > new input control runs commands a bit more quickly. I added
              > a one millisecond delay to your clip and that works too.

              Interesting -- a one millisecond delay doesn't cut it on my 1 ghz
              machine! The fastest I could get it to work was with a 14 millisecond
              delay. At 13, it bombs. Seems to be machine-dependent. Maybe I need
              to henceforth make them all 25 (50? 100?) millisecond delays in case I
              ever use them on a slower machine (or share these clips with others on
              slower machines).

              Looks like all our 4.9x clips should be verified, not just
              RegExp-using ones.

              /Jelks
            • Jelks Cabaniss
              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 6, 2006
                Jeff Scism wrote:
                > How about a CTRL+J, to join the selection then requote it?

                That will work for short lines, but it would put a single '> ' at the
                beginning of long paragraphs. *Joining* means getting rid of hard
                line breaks. I *want* those hard breaks, so there will be a '> ' in
                front of *each* line when I quote the selection. That's why I use a
                CTRL+SHIFT+M instead of a CTRL+J.

                Anyway, my clip now works with a delay inserted after the CTRL+SHIFT+M.

                /Jelks
              • Sheri
                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 7, 2006
                  > ^!If ^$GetSelSize$ > 0 Skip
                  > ^!Select ALL
                  > ^!Menu Modify/E-mail/Unquote Text
                  > ;
                  > ; ^$StrFormat("^$GetSelection$";0;60;0)$
                  > ^!InsertSelect ^$StrFormat("^$GetSelection$";0;60;0)$
                  > ;
                  > ^!Keyboard CTRL+Q

                  Yes, but I would avoid the ^!Keyboard command and use a Menu command
                  there too, i.e.,

                  ^!Menu Modify/E-mail/Quote Text

                  For one thing, the same keyboard shortcut is not necessarily
                  selected by all users. For another, in some configurations there is
                  the potential need for delays when using ^!Keyboard. So wherever
                  possible I try to avoid ^!Keyboard commands.

                • Jelks Cabaniss
                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 7, 2006
                    Sheri wrote:
                    > Yes, but I would avoid the ^!Keyboard command and use a Menu
                    > command there too ...
                    > For one thing, the same keyboard shortcut is not necessarily
                    > selected by all users. For another, in some configurations
                    > there is the potential need for delays when using
                    > ^!Keyboard. So wherever possible I try to avoid ^!Keyboard
                    > commands.

                    You convinced me. The clip, rewritten:

                    ^!If ^$GetSelSize$ > 0 Skip
                    ^!Select ALL
                    ^!Menu Modify/E-mail/Unquote Text
                    ^!InsertSelect ^$StrFormat("^$GetSelection$";0;60;0)$
                    ^!Menu Modify/E-mail/Quote Text

                    Thanks to you and hsavage for all the help!

                    (My goodness, I sure have a *lot* of clips using ^!Keyboard. *Cringe*. :)

                    /Jelks
                  • Don Daugherty
                    Message 9 of 16 , Aug 9, 2006
                      How do you all use the following clip -- copy something from email to
                      Notetab, run the clip, then copy back into email?

                      Message 10 of 16 , Aug 9, 2006
                        Don Daugherty wrote:
                        > How do you all use the following clip -- copy something from email to
                        > Notetab, run the clip, then copy back into email?
                        > > ^!If ^$GetSelSize$ > 0 Skip
                        > > ^!Select ALL
                        > > ^!Menu Modify/E-mail/Unquote Text
                        > > ^!InsertSelect ^$StrFormat("^$GetSelection$";0;60;0)$
                        > > ^!Menu Modify/E-mail/Quote Text

                        Yes, that's the primary purpose. Most email software (Outlook, OE,
                        web-based email) can end up mangling quoting pretty badly. That clip
                        just "cleans it all up". Note that it reduces everything selected to
                        just one level of quotes, so if there are multiple levels, I then
                        select those blocks and press CTRL+Q to add another level of quotes as
                        many times as necessary.

                        Also -- and this is just a personal preference, YMMV -- I changed the
                        default NTP quote character '>' in the Options to have a space after
                        it, i.e. '> '.

                        /Jelks
                      • Ray Shapp
                        Message 11 of 16 , Aug 13, 2006
                          Hi Jelks, Sheri, and Harvey:

                          Thanks for your three-way discussion about this clip. I'm now using the final
                          version posted by Jelks on 8/7/2006.

                          My question: Where is the delay? I looked at both the commands (^$StrFormat
                          and ^$GetSelection$) in Help, but I don't see the introduction of any delay in
                          them.

                          Your clip is running fine on my 3GHz PC (very few other processing running
                          simultaneously).

                          Ray Shapp
                          WinXP Home SP2
                        • hsavage
                          Message 12 of 16 , Aug 13, 2006
                            Ray Shapp wrote:
                            > Hi Jelks, Sheri, and Harvey:
                            >
                            > Thanks for your three-way discussion about this clip. I'm now using
                            the final
                            > version posted by Jelks on 8/7/2006.
                            >
                            > My question: Where is the delay? I looked at both the commands
                            (^$StrFormat
                            > and ^$GetSelection$) in Help, but I don't see the introduction of any
                            delay in
                            > them.
                            >
                            > Ray Shapp
                            > WinXP Home SP2

                            Ray,

                            The 'delay' was discussed in reference to an earlier clip when using
                            ^!Keyboard commands, as below from a previous email. In the 4th line
                            down is an entry '&1', in keyboard commands the '&' precedes a number
                            representing fractions of a second, in this case it's milliseconds, my
                            entry, '&1' represents 1 millisecond, '&500' represents a half second.

                            ^!If ^$GetSelSize$ > 0 Skip
                            ^!Select ALL
                            ^!Keyboard CTRL+SHIFT+Q
                            ^!Keyboard CTRL+SHIFT+M &1 #0# TAB #60# TAB ENTER
                            ^!Keyboard CTRL+Q

                            You're probably already be aware of this but I thought, just in case
                            I'll answer to explain.

                            ºvº
                            2006.08.13
                            -Newspaper HeadLine...
                            "Enraged Cow Injures Farmer with Ax"
                            hrs ø hsavage@...
                          • Ray Shapp
                            Message 13 of 16 , Aug 14, 2006
                              Hi Harvey,

                              Great help, and a very funny tag line. I still giggle when I picture the
                              ax-carrying farmer being injured. Then shifting gears, I see an ax-wielding
                              cow.

                              Regards,

                              Ray Shapp