Notes On Regular Expressions In version 5 beata-G.O.

  • Gary Oliver
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 19 2:19 PM
      Notes On Regular Expressions In version 5 beata-G.O.
      I made more notes additions in green in the ExpressionsV5.rtf in the
      files section.
      HTML COMMENTS need special notation to be found with regular expressions
      now because they are similar to the way assertions are written.
      Character class notation must be used like this [<][!] on the
      first two characters for example:

      ^!find "[<][!]-- start -->[[:ascii:]]+[<][!]-- end -->" RHITS

      Period (.) meaning any character can't be used in a character class.

      Be very careful using numbered tagged matches in replace-patterns
      because extra numbers will be spit out as plain text in the output. For
      example:

      ^!Replace "(<td>)[\s\r\n]*|(<li>)[\s\r\n]*" >> $1$2$3 RHIATS Spits out
      all "$3" after every <td> or <li>

      It says below that tagged matched can be used up to $65535 but only $1 -
      $9 work perhaps if $ needed to be escaped in replace-with statements it
      could work as stated. Also since $0 matches the whole expression not
      just the (tagged) it would be nice to have a generic like $n just $ that
      matched any numbered replace in OR cases but not necessary.

      Multiple Line-breaks is some thing I need frequently. Thankfully in
      version 5 the same simple statement works great in BOTH Windows and Unix
      files. Although it is a bit of a mystery on Unix files I like it.

      (\r\n)+

      IN FACT Any repetitive string can be quantified inside () for example
      ( )+ VERY USEFUL thanks but it is not very clear in the
      instructions. SEE ExpressionsV5.rtf in the files section.

      For line breaks starting with specific text it requires something else
      to match I don't know why.
      Example <anytext>[\r\n\s]* worked for me. Even though it was line breaks
      only, <anytext>(\r\n)+ did not match.