[Clip] Re: Removing stopwords from word list

  • jonas_ramus
    Message 1 of 30 , Jul 14, 2006
      Sheri,

      I immediately tested this third version. There are some problems
      with the output as follows:

      1. When taking as...

      word list: ntf-wordlist.txt (16,000)
      stop words: ntf-stopwords (250)

      the last lines of the output are (lines numbers added)...

      Line
      15500 Yucca
      15501 Yumen
      15002 Zweifacher|Zwei-Tank-Systeme|Zwei|Zweckverband|....
      15503 Unique Words with Stop Words Removed.

      That is, it outputs all the stop words (Z-words). Line 15503 outputs
      the text of the final message.

      2. When taking as...

      word list: B-words (1,176)
      stop words: A+B-words (2,233)

      the last lines of the output are (line numbers added)...

      Line
      1057 A­-Klasse
      1057 A­-Klasse-Prototypen
      1058 Binnennachfrage|Binnenmarkt|Binnenland...
      1059 Büssem|Bürotechnik|Büros|Büroleitung
      1060 Documents\NotetabBetaTest\badregexpreplace.txt" Pattern 1:
      1061 Unique Words with Stop Words Removed.

      That is, out of 2,233 stop words, it outputs 1,526 stop words with
      the result plus some additional text.

      Thanks for your great help and patience in this matter!

      Flo
    • Sheri
      Message 2 of 30 , Jul 14, 2006
        Hi Flo,

        Yahoo has wrapped a couple of long lines. The first was actually
        commented out, it begins with.

        ;^!AppendtoFile

        The wrapped portion is getting written into your file. It looks like
        it actually wrapped twice, once at "Documents" and again at "^%Pat"

        Another is nearer the bottom, and ^!Info command, looks like it
        wrapped at the word "Unique".

        Please unwrap those long lines and try it again. You could actually
        remove the long comment line along with the two comments lines above
        it.

        --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "jonas_ramus" <jonas_ramus@...>
        wrote:

        > Sheri,
        >
        > I immediately tested this third version. There are some problems
        > with the output as follows:
        >
        > 1. When taking as...
        >
        > word list: ntf-wordlist.txt (16,000)
        > stop words: ntf-stopwords (250)
        >
        > the last lines of the output are (lines numbers added)...
        >
        > Line
        > 15500 Yucca
        > 15501 Yumen
        > 15002 Zweifacher|Zwei-Tank-Systeme|Zwei|Zweckverband|....
        > 15503 Unique Words with Stop Words Removed.
        >
        > That is, it outputs all the stop words (Z-words). Line 15503
        outputs
        > the text of the final message.
        >
        > 2. When taking as...
        >
        > word list: B-words (1,176)
        > stop words: A+B-words (2,233)
        >
        > the last lines of the output are (line numbers added)...
        >
        > Line
        > 1057 A­-Klasse
        > 1057 A­-Klasse-Prototypen
        > 1058 Binnennachfrage|Binnenmarkt|Binnenland...
        > 1059 Büssem|Bürotechnik|Büros|Büroleitung
        > 1060 Documents\NotetabBetaTest\badregexpreplace.txt" Pattern 1:
        > 1061 Unique Words with Stop Words Removed.
        >
        > That is, out of 2,233 stop words, it outputs 1,526 stop words with
        > the result plus some additional text.
        >
        > Thanks for your great help and patience in this matter!
        >
        > Flo

      • abairheart
        Message 3 of 30 , Jul 14, 2006
          --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "rpdooling" <rpdooling@...> wrote:

          > >> Sigh, thanks to Yahoo I lost a long message
          > >> I had written as reply here.
          >
          > Maybe we should form a band of renegades, run off and start a separate
          > newsgroup on Google Groups.
          >
          > I'm game if anybody else want to go. I'm tired of this interface.
          >
          > rick

          Do you get a commission from google for transfering groups to them?
        • adrien
          Message 4 of 30 , Jul 14, 2006
            Op vr, 14-07-2006 te 16:21 +0000, schreef abairheart:
            > Do you get a commission from google for transfering groups to them?

            Well, first: I do not understand why Fookes software run not its own
            mailinglist. Second: I did lost also several messages, because for some
            reason my provider (I think, i just asked this to them) classified the
            Yahoo messages as spam!

            (So, where can I download the beta version?)
            --
            adrien <adrien.verlee@...>
          • jonas_ramus
            Message 5 of 30 , Jul 14, 2006
              Sheri,

              Now I've got it. Thanks again. I'm much obliged to you for your help. I
              think that's a perfect solution now.

              Flo
            • rpdooling
              Message 6 of 30 , Jul 14, 2006
                >> Do you get a commission from google for
                >> transfering groups to them?

                This is a joke without the smiley face, right?

                rd
              • Bob McAllister
                Message 7 of 30 , Jul 14, 2006
                  On 7/14/06, jonas_ramus <jonas_ramus@...> wrote:

                  > Unless we don't get another solution from Sheri, Don, or anybody
                  > else, I'll have to carry on with other tools.

                  > By the way, this task could even be solved with the free-form text
                  > database from which these lists are derived (www.askSam.com).
                  > However, this needs some additional procedures. So I was dreaming of
                  > a more simple solution with NoteTab...
                  >
                  > Flo

                  Flo

                  Here is a "solution" that I think is close to your original idea.

                  H="Remove stop words and duplicates"
                  ^!Set %wlfile%=^?[(T=O)Select file to be cleaned]
                  ^!Set %xlfile%=^?[(T=O)Select list of stop words]
                  ^!SetScreenUpdate Off
                  ^!StatusShow Setting up ...
                  ^!Open ^%xlfile%
                  ^!SetListDelimiter ^p
                  ^!Select All
                  ^!SetArray %stopwords%=^$StrSort("^$GetSelection$";False;True;True)$
                  ^!Close ^%xlfile% Discard
                  ^!StatusShow Processing file ... may take some time!
                  ^!SetScreenUpdate Off
                  ^!Open ^%wlfile%
                  ^!Set %wlcount%=^$Calc(^$GetParaCount$-1;0)$
                  ^!Select All
                  ^$StrSort("^$GetSelection$";False;True;True)$
                  ^!Set %index%=1
                  ^!Jump 1
                  :loop
                  ^!Replace "^%stopwords^%index%%^p" >> "" CS
                  ^!Inc %index%
                  ^!If ^%index%=^%stopwords0% skip
                  ^!Goto loop
                  ^!StatusClose
                  ^!jump 1
                  ^!Set %nlcount%=^$Calc(^$GetParaCount$-1;0)$
                  ^!Save As ^$GetPath(^%wlfile%)$newlist.txt
                  ^!Close Discard
                  ^!Info Task complete.^%NL%^%NL%Original ^%wlcount% lines in
                  ^%wlfile%^%NL% were reduced to ^%nlcount% in
                  ^$GetPath(^%wlfile%)$newlist.txt

                  Note that the final line (beginning ^!Info) may break were it wraps in
                  your email software and need to be rejoined.

                  The clip asks you to select two files (Word List and StopWord List)
                  and reads the stop words into an array to be used as the basis for
                  searching the list to be cleaned. A reduced list is then saved back
                  into the folder that Word List came from.

                  The maximum size (unknown to me) of a NoteTab array will put a limit
                  on the size of the StopWord files handled, but it copes with your
                  samples.

                  I have used the final parameter on ^$StrSort()$ to remove the
                  duplicates from the lists as the sort occurs.

                  Sorting both lists on the same basis lets me remove the W (whole file)
                  parameter from ^!Replace for a huge speed increase. Even so, it is not
                  a super-fast process on my old PII.

                  I hope this helps.

                  Bob McAllister
                • jonas_ramus
                  Message 8 of 30 , Jul 15, 2006
                    --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Bob McAllister" <fortiter@...>
                    wrote:

                    > Flo
                    >
                    > Here is a "solution" that I think is close to your original idea...

                    Bob,

                    Thanks! This is also an interesting solution. Evidently, it works
                    with NT 5.0 Beta and NT 4.95 as well.

                    I tested this clip with the above mentioned files - see
                    http://flogehrke.homepage.t-online.de/194/ntf-wordlist.zip

                    It properly reduces the ntf-wordlist.txt from 16,000 to 15,500 words
                    when using ntf-stopwords.txt (250 stop words).

                    It runs into some problems, however, if the stop word list is bigger
                    than the word list. This works correctly with just a few words. When
                    replacing the word list (16,000) and the stop word list (250) with
                    each other, the output file should be empty since all the stop words
                    occur in the word list. In this case, your clip is reducing the 250
                    (stop) words to 247 words for me.

                    You also have to take care to enter an empty line at the end of the
                    stop word list. Without that, the last stop word will not be removed.

                    Flo
                  • Sheri
                    Message 9 of 30 , Jul 15, 2006
                      Hi Flo,

                      Here is one more approach. It is more along the lines of Don's
                      original suggestion, but it still needs regular expressions. The
                      bottleneck in this one is sorting the combined list of stop words and
                      word list (if they are big). With my equipment, using two lists of
                      16000 words took about 10 seconds longer than my other clip. But
                      there could be instances where the size of the lists, speed of your
                      computer and amount of memory might make this one faster. On my
                      equipment this clip seems to be about equal in speed to the other one
                      removing the 250 stop words.

                      While doing this clip I discovered that the clip function ^$StrSort$
                      and the menu command for sorting lines do not have the same collating
                      order for symbols and such. I thought the menu command seemed to
                      process the combined list faster, but the sequencing was not
                      compatible with my approach and using it led to wrong results.

                      Please be sure to unwrap the long line near the end.

                      H="New Word List Approach"
                      ;2006-06-15 Created by Sheri Pierce
                      ;requires Notetab 5 beta
                      ^!SetClipboard ""
                      ^!SetScreenUpdate Off
                      ^!Set %xlfile%=^?{(T=O)Browse to stop list=^%xlfile%}
                      ^!Set %wordfile%=^?{(T=O)Browse to word list=^%wordfile%}
                      ^!Set %starttime%=^$GetDate(tt)$
                      ^!Open ^%xlfile%
                      ^!Select All
                      ^!Menu Modify/Lines/Trim Blanks
                      ;remove any empty lines
                      ^!Replace "^(\r\n)+" >> "" RAWS
                      ^!Set %word%="^$StrTrim(^$GetText$)$"
                      ;^$StrSort("Str";CaseSensitive;Ascending;RemoveDuplicates)$
                      ^!Set %word%="^$StrSort("^%word%";NO;Yes;Yes)$"
                      ^!Select All
                      ^!InsertText ^%word%
                      ;append " " to each line of stop list
                      ^!Replace ^([^\r\n]+)(?=\r|\n|\z) >> "$0 " RAWS
                      ^!Replace "(?<= )(?=\r?\n\z)" >> "!" RAWS
                      ^!Set %word%=^$GetText$
                      ^!Close Discard
                      ;Load word list
                      ^!Toolbar New Document
                      ^!SetScreenUpdate On
                      ^!InsertFile ^%wordfile%
                      ^!IfError Error
                      ^!SetWordWrap Off
                      ^!Select All
                      ^!Menu Modify/Lines/Trim Blanks
                      ;sort ascending remove duplicates
                      ^!Select All
                      ^$StrSort("^$GetSelection$";NO;Yes;Yes)$
                      ;make sure last line ends with crlf
                      ^!Jump Doc_End
                      ^!InsertText ^P
                      ;remove any empty lines
                      ^!Replace "^(\r\n)+" >> "" RAWS
                      ^!Jump Doc_End
                      ^%word%
                      ^!Set %word%=""
                      ^!Jump Doc_Start
                      ^!StatusShow Sorting...
                      ;^$StrSort("Str";CaseSensitive;Ascending;RemoveDuplicates)$
                      ^!Set %word%=^$StrSort("^$GetText$";NO;Yes;NO)$
                      ^!Select All
                      ^%word%
                      ^!Set ^%word%=""
                      ^!StatusClose
                      ^!Replace "^([^\r\n]+)\r?\n\1 \!?((\r?\n)|\z)" >> "" RAWS
                      ^!Replace "^([^\r\n]+) \!?((\r?\n)|\z)" >> "" RAWS
                      ^!Jump Doc_End
                      ^!Set %endtime%=^$GetDate(tt)$
                      ^!Info Start: ^%starttime%^%NL%End: ^%endtime%^%NL%Complete List of
                      Unique Words with Stop Words Removed.
                      ^!Goto End
                      ;end of clip
                    • Sheri
                      Message 10 of 30 , Jul 15, 2006
                        Hi,

                        Isn't Google groups is just a web interface to non-binary Usenet
                        groups?

                        Message 11 of 30 , Jul 15, 2006
                          Sheri,

                          Another perfect solution indeed! It gets to correct results with all
                          combinations of the test lists. Although each clip represents another
                          approach, there is no considerable difference in the running time on my
                          PC. Maybe it's measurable with much bigger lists.

                          Thank you so much for all the trouble you have been taking in this
                          matter! I hope that even more NT users will profit from these solutions.

                          Flo
                        • rpdooling
                          Message 12 of 30 , Jul 15, 2006
                            >> Isn't Google groups is just a web interface
                            >> to non-binary Usenet groups?

                            Sheri,

                            I'm told it can be a web interface to already existing usenet groups.
                            Truth be told, I don't know. I access it via the web.

                            You can mark threads to follow, if there is new activity on a thread,
                            it appears at upper right.

                            Look at the Python group for a sample

                            http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.python

                            rd
                          • Bob McAllister
                            Message 13 of 30 , Jul 15, 2006
                              On 7/15/06, jonas_ramus <jonas_ramus@...> wrote:

                              > Bob,
                              >
                              > Thanks! This is also an interesting solution. Evidently, it works
                              > with NT 5.0 Beta and NT 4.95 as well.
                              >

                              > It runs into some problems, however, if the stop word list is bigger
                              > than the word list. This works correctly with just a few words. When
                              > replacing the word list (16,000) and the stop word list (250) with
                              > each other, the output file should be empty since all the stop words
                              > occur in the word list.

                              Flo

                              Your comment that "all the stop words occur in the word list" tipped
                              me off to my error. The speed modification that I made (running
                              Replace without a W switch) breaks down if there is a stopword that
                              does not occur in the word list being cleaned.

                              If you modify your test files by adding a few words to your
                              ntf-stopwords.txt file that are NOT contained in ntf-wordlist.txt,
                              then you will catch my error when using the files as planned as well
                              as backwards.

                              The compromise solution is to reset the search to the top of the file
                              whenever this situation occurs by adding ^!IfError Jump 1 in the loop
                              as shown below.
                              :loop
                              ^!Replace "^%stopwords^%index%%^p" >> "" CS
                              ^!IfError ^!Jump 1
                              ^!Inc %index%
                              ^!If ^%index%=^%stopwords0% skip
                              ^!Goto loop

                              Bob McAllister
                            • jonas_ramus
                              Message 14 of 30 , Jul 16, 2006
                                Bob,

                                You wrote...

                                > If you modify your test files by adding a few words to your
                                > ntf-stopwords.txt file that are NOT contained in ntf-wordlist.txt,
                                > then you will catch my error...

                                So I did, and I repeated the test with a stop word list that is
                                bigger than the file to be cleaned (using ntf-wordlist.txt as stop
                                words and ntf-stopwords.txt as file to be cleaned). Now the
                                newlist.txt contains those three additional words, which is correct.
                                But again, it contains 248 of 250 stop words (Z-words in ntf-
                                stopwords.txt), which is not correct since this processing now
                                should output those three additional words only.

                                Next, I removed the three additional words from the stop words list
                                again and added that "^!IfError ^!Jump 1" line. Again, the result of
                                the same test isn't completely correct. When finished, the message
                                is...

                                Task complete.
                                Original 250 lines in [path]\ntf-stopwords.txt
                                were reduced to 0 in [path]\newlist.txt

                                The newlist.txt, however, contains the following line

                                Zucker-Zwei-Tank-

                                This appears as a concatenation and shortening of two compounds in
                                the stop words list: probably "Zucker-Aktiengesellschaft" or "Zucker-
                                Marktordnung", and "Zwei-Tank-Systeme".

                                Furthermore, it seems to me that you didn't deal with the "empty
                                line problem" in the stop word list I mentioned before. Maybe we
                                have to add something like...

                                ^!Jump Doc_End
                                ^!IfFalse ^$IsEmpty(^$GetLine$)$ Next Else Skip
                                ^!Keyboard Enter

                                to be executed in the opened stop word list in order to take care
                                that it ends with an empty line. Without that empty line, the
                                newlist.txt now contains...

                                Zucker-Zwei-Tank-Zweifacher

                                As mentioned before, we now also get the last stop word "Zweifacher".

                                Flo
                              • Alan_C
                                Message 15 of 30 , Jul 17, 2006
                                  FWIW

                                  As far as the (sourceforge project) gnuwin32 utilities

                                  (though this may or may not be easy due to I on Win 2K was missing/needed
                                  MSVCP60.DLL which is a C, C++ library that I wasn't pre informed about)

                                  I got as far as getting duplicates removed (I'm short on time). Next would be
                                  to either 1. Notetab array of stopwords to a clip !^Replace command (replace
                                  with nothing) or 2. Notetab array of stopwords fed to the gnuwin32 tr utility
                                  so as to substitute each stopword with nothing. I didn't yet get the Notetab
                                  clip command line for to run the gnuwin32 utilities. So far what you see
                                  below is I manually did the command line in a console.

                                  1. DL'd the file: coreutils-5.3.0.exe

                                  2. DL'd the file: msvcp60.zip (has the MSVCP60.DLL)

                                  Ran #1 (the installer file for gnuwin32 coreutils)

                                  copied MSVCP60.DLL to c:\winnt\system32

                                  added the gunwin32\bin folder to my PATH statement

                                  c:\test.txt (sorted ascending in Notetab) (gnuwin32 also has a sort)

                                  (news occurs twice). uniq eliminate duplicates

                                  C:\>cat test.txt
                                  blue
                                  bravo
                                  charlie
                                  favorite
                                  group
                                  mountain
                                  news
                                  news
                                  omega
                                  purple
                                  river
                                  valley

                                  C:\>uniq test.txt > testout.txt

                                  C:\>cat testout.txt
                                  blue
                                  bravo
                                  charlie
                                  favorite
                                  group
                                  mountain
                                  news
                                  omega
                                  purple
                                  river
                                  valley

                                  C:\>
                                  ------------------

                                  That's the extent so far of my gnuwin32 Linux/Unix like utilities foray on
                                  Win.

                                  --
                                  Alan.
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Jul 18, 2006
                                    Hi Everybody Reading This,

                                    I copied the OffTopic list this message so that for those that
                                    want to continue discussing it can do so over there. Please reply
                                    to the [OT] copy of this and not the [Clips]. TIA Oh, see my
                                    sigline or a [NTB] footer to get on the OffTopic list which we
                                    need to go on for further discussion. This is basically about
                                    "why we use and will continue to use Yahoogroups, so you can
                                    delete now if you don't care or could care less. I'm pretty well
                                    firm on the idea of staying with Yahoogroups...

                                    SHERI WROTE...

                                    >> Sigh, thanks to Yahoo I lost a long message I had written as
                                    >> reply here.

                                    I'm sorry about you loosing your long message. I normally have my
                                    PasteBoard on for anytime I am ordering something, filling about
                                    forms that have message/comments boxes, for setting up things
                                    like updating Yahoogroups messages sent out, and a host of other
                                    things. The reason for whatever unknown reasons the pages get
                                    wiped out or terminated for taking to long to fill out something,
                                    I have it still in NoteTab to Paste in again when retrying. This
                                    disconnect/drop off, or whatever causes happens to me from all
                                    sorts of places. My point is to say that Yahoogroups caused it is
                                    an unfair comment. I know that those things happen for all kinds
                                    of reasons. Having my PasteBoard active during the times I don't
                                    want to loose 15 minutes of re-typing saves me all kinds of time
                                    and aggravation. Just the fact that I have the need to make a
                                    PasteBoard tells me that it happens a lot and in other places
                                    than Yahoogroups. In fact, I don't ever remember Yahoogroups cut
                                    me off.

                                    RICK WROTE...

                                    > Maybe we should form a band of renegades, run off and start a
                                    > separate newsgroup on Google Groups.

                                    That's your freedom to speak and freedom to do what you want. You
                                    are more than welcome becoming a renegade. :-)

                                    > I'm game if anybody else want to go. I'm tired of this interface.

                                    You won't find me being a renegade in this case. <g>

                                    > rick

                                    Thanks! ;) More...

                                    >Op vr, 14-07-2006 te 16:21 +0000, schreef abairheart:
                                    >> Do you get a commission from google for transfering groups to them?

                                    ADRIEN WROTE...

                                    >Well, first: I do not understand why Fookes software run not its
                                    >own mailinglist. Second: I did lost also several messages,
                                    >because for some reason my provider (I think, i just asked this
                                    >to them) classified the Yahoo messages as spam!

                                    Building, buying, providing upkeep/maintenance, features, and
                                    many other things prevent us from making or buying our own
                                    discussion mailing list. Actually, we have one, but don't use it
                                    for our Fookes Software [FS] discussion mailing lists. We might,
                                    in the future, use it for a very small amount of beta testers on
                                    our FS Private beta testing list. Using our own list or
                                    transferring to another list, for me, is just not reasonably
                                    worth doing for larger list. The pros far out weight the cons as
                                    far as staying as it right now. We have had private/our own lists
                                    before and they just didn't work out well. Yahoogroups is the
                                    least hassle to maintain and for the users too because of multi-
                                    list members. Just one setting has to be changed for it to span
                                    across all the lists they are subscribed to. Yahoogroups has only
                                    caused minor inconveniences at time and I and very happy that
                                    they exist. I was with them when they were the little guys:
                                    MakeList and OneList. I've watched them grow for over 12 years
                                    and for the most part am extremely happy with them. I've seen,
                                    used, and posted messages on a host of discussion mailing lists.
                                    There are certain things that I require, if possible, that I will
                                    not move to a list if they have or have not the feature, or
                                    whatever. Yahoogroups hits my "most wanted/needed" list the
                                    majority of time over any other list.

                                    We'll stay with Yahoogroups who, as a whole, has mean very nice
                                    for us. I find that this subject falls into the "use Linux, not
                                    puking Microsoft" crowd. There's a minority of people that like
                                    to bash Microsoft, etc. and they post so often about it making a
                                    lot of practically slanderous remarks, that some would think
                                    everybody hates Microsoft. Not true!, at all. I don't bother with
                                    those kind of threads. They normally just get deleted after I
                                    scan very quickly to see if it has to go to OffTopic or for the
                                    cussing/bashing to send out personal messages, etc.

                                    Happy Topics,
                                    Jody

                                    All Fookes Software discussion mailing lists with brief
                                    description of lists and easy sign-on/off...
                                    http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm

                                    The NoteTab Off-Topic List
                                    mailto:ntb-OffTopic-Subscribe@yahoogroups.com (Subscribe)
                                  • abairheart
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Jul 19, 2006
                                      --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "rpdooling" <rpdooling@...> wrote:

                                      > >> Do you get a commission from google for
                                      > >> transfering groups to them?
                                      >
                                      > This is a joke without the smiley face, right?
                                      >
                                      > rd

                                      Whaddaya mean WITHOUT smiley face?

                                      I WAS smiling.