Re: Removing stopwords from word list

  • jonas_ramus
    Message 1 of 30 , Jul 13, 2006
      Sheri,

      Congratulations! The new clip supplies a perfect output of 15.500
      words from A to Y only.

      Nevertheless, I have to confirm that error when working with bigger
      stopword-lists.

      We also get a wrong result if the stopword-list is bigger than the
      wordlist. I tested this taking the A-words (1,057) and the B-words
      (1,176) from ntf-wordlist.txt. Together they produce a stopword-list
      of 2,233 words. Then I took the B-words as a wordlist of 1,176
      lines. On that condition, the clip outputs exactly the 1,176 B-words
      whereas it should end in an empty file.

      In principle, the size of these lists is not limited since they are
      derived from big text databases.

      Flo

      @To Alan: Thanks for these hints! However, it's not a matter of
      sorting or deleting duplicate lines onnly but of completely removing
      stopwords...
    • rpdooling
      Message 2 of 30 , Jul 13, 2006
        >> Sigh, thanks to Yahoo I lost a long message
        >> I had written as reply here.

        Maybe we should form a band of renegades, run off and start a separate
        newsgroup on Google Groups.

        I'm game if anybody else want to go. I'm tired of this interface.

        rick
      • Alan_C
        Message 3 of 30 , Jul 13, 2006
          On Thursday 13 July 2006 14:44, jonas_ramus wrote:
          [ . . ]
          > @To Alan: Thanks for these hints! However, it's not a matter of
          > sorting or deleting duplicate lines onnly but of completely removing
          > stopwords...

          Oh, I didn't provide sufficient context. You're unaware of the power that
          these originally unix/linux (sort, uniq, tr) text manipulation apps/utilities
          have.

          Yes I know you need to remove stop words. That's what the tr is for (after
          use of sort and uniq). But, maybe, maybe not there's a way to read the stop
          words from a file and feed them to tr because I'm not that familiar with the
          Win/DOS command line. (yes definitely probably could use a clip with an array
          to feed the stop words to tr).

          The idea is that the three utilities are powerful specialty items with strong
          reputation of proven tool for the task that can extend Notetab and cut down
          on the amount and the complexity of clip code writing.

          I use Linux and know it's command line, bash shell syntax, and fair amount of
          Perl. Perl perhaps can be equalled but not bettered when it comes to text
          file manipulation.

          If you willing to install cygwin then all of these are in it.

          Significantly less code than Notetab needs to do the same job (this task).

          Not that Notetab can't. NTB is handy for lots. But for this particular task,
          given if I were doing it, I'd use some Perl and the other three utilities
          mentioned which would be much shorter and quicker for me than if I were to
          limit only to the clip only route.

          I've been there, done it both ways. For me it's a quicker faster cut to the
          chase to either not clip it or perhaps to make clip that merely controls/runs
          those three mentioned utilities.

          I'm not alone on this. But what few others that know of it/this likely busy
          elsewhere and may not have time to follow this thread and respond.

          --
          Alan.
        • jonas_ramus
          Message 4 of 30 , Jul 14, 2006
            Alan,

            Thanks again. Now I better understood your recommendations. In my
            view, however, it's too complicated for an average user to use three
            tools for one simple task. When viewing the CygWin Website, it
            appears even rather difficult to comprehend what to download and
            what to install.

            Unless we don't get another solution from Sheri, Don, or anybody
            else, I'll have to carry on with other tools. There is, for example,
            an excellent freeware tool called AntConc
            (http://www.antlab.sci.waseda.ac.jp/software.html). Among other
            features, it creates word lists, and also excludes stop words from
            that list by matching it with an imported stop word list. So far, I
            didn't experience any limitations as to the size of that lists.

            By the way, this task could even be solved with the free-form text
            database from which these lists are derived (www.askSam.com).
            However, this needs some additional procedures. So I was dreaming of
            a more simple solution with NoteTab...

            Flo

            Moderator of the German askSam Forum
            http://tinyurl.com/86nr3
          • Sheri
            Message 5 of 30 , Jul 14, 2006
              Hi Flo,

              In this revision, it applies the stop list in approximately 10K
              chunks. Although there may be practical limits depending on your
              equipment (because even though it is applying the stop words in
              smaller chunks it initially reads them all into memory), it seems to
              be reasonably fast and reliable. I added a few unique words to your
              wordlist and then used the original wordlist as a stop word list. It
              took about 30 seconds on my pc. I was surprised that one of my added
              words wasn't there. But surprise, there was another occurrence of
              that word elsewhere in the file (and therefore was in the stop list).
              I have an older athlon and 1 gb of memory.

              H="Safer Word List"
              ;2006-07-14 Revision
              ;2006-07-12 Created by Sheri Pierce
              ;Requires NoteTab version 5 beta
              ^!SetScreenUpdate Off
              ^!Set %xlfile%=^?{(T=O)Browse to xl list=^%xlfile%}
              ^!Set %wordfile%=^?{(T=O)Browse to word list=^%wordfile%}
              ^!Set %starttime%=^$GetDate(tt)$
              ^!Open ^%xlfile%
              ^!SetWordWrap Off
              ^!IfError Error
              ^!Select All
              ^!Menu Modify/Lines/Trim Blanks
              ^!Select All
              ^$StrTrim(^$GetSelection$)$
              ^!Select All
              ^$StrSort("^$GetSelection$";No;No;Yes)$
              ^!Jump Doc_Start
              ^!Set %index%=0
              :Loop
              ^!Inc %index%
              ^!Set %pos_start%=^$GetRow$:^$GetCol$
              ^!Select +10000
              ^!Jump Select_End
              ^!Jump Line_End
              ^!Set %pos_end%=^$GetRow$:^$GetCol$
              ^!SelectTo ^%pos_start%
              ;Next 6 lines make a big pattern of alternates for regexp
              ^!Set %xl%="^$StrReplace("^%NL%";"|";"^$GetSelection$";No;No)$"
              ^!Set %myvarname%="xl"
              ^!Clip GetRegEscape ^%xl%
              ^!IfError ClipNotFound
              ^!Set %xl%="^$StrReplace("\|";"|";"^%xl%";No;No)$"
              ^!Set %Pat^%index%%="^%xl%"
              ^!Set %xl%=""
              ^!Jump Select_End
              ^!Jump +1
              ^!If ^$GetRow$=^$GetLineCount$ Last Else Loop
              :Last
              ^!Close Discard
              ^!Toolbar New Document
              ^!SetScreenUpdate On
              ^!InsertFile ^%wordfile%
              ^!IfError Error
              ^!SetWordWrap Off
              ^!SetScreenUpdate On
              ^!Select All
              ^!SetScreenUpdate Off
              ^!Menu Modify/Lines/Trim Blanks
              ^!Set %repindex%=0
              :Replace
              ^!Inc %repindex%
              ^!If ^%repindex%>^%index% Done
              ^!Replace "^(?i:^%Pat^%repindex%%)$" >> "" RAWS
              ;^!IfError Next Else Skip_2
              ;^!Info pattern ^%repindex% failed
              ;^!AppendToFile "C:\Documents and Settings\Sheri\My
              Documents\NotetabBetaTest\badregexpreplace.txt" Pattern ^%repindex%:
              ^%Pat^%repindex%%
              ^!ClearVariable %^%Pat^%repindex%%
              ^!Goto Replace
              :Done
              ^!Set %word%="^$StrTrim(^$GetText$)$"
              ^!Set %word%="^$StrSort("^%word%";No;Yes;Yes)$"
              ^!Select All
              ^!InsertText ^%word%
              ^!Replace "^\r\n" >> "" RSAW
              ^!ClearVariable %word%
              ^!Set %endtime%=^$GetDate(tt)$
              ^!Info Start: ^%starttime%^%NL%End: ^%endtime%^%NL%Complete List of
              Unique Words with Stop Words Removed.
              ^!Goto End
              :Error
              ^!Prompt Unable to open file
              ^!Goto End
              :ClipNotFound
              ^!Prompt The clip GetRegEscape needs to be installed in this library.
              ;end of clip
            • jonas_ramus
              Message 6 of 30 , Jul 14, 2006
                Sheri,

                I immediately tested this third version. There are some problems
                with the output as follows:

                1. When taking as...

                word list: ntf-wordlist.txt (16,000)
                stop words: ntf-stopwords (250)

                the last lines of the output are (lines numbers added)...

                Line
                15500 Yucca
                15501 Yumen
                15002 Zweifacher|Zwei-Tank-Systeme|Zwei|Zweckverband|....
                15503 Unique Words with Stop Words Removed.

                That is, it outputs all the stop words (Z-words). Line 15503 outputs
                the text of the final message.

                2. When taking as...

                word list: B-words (1,176)
                stop words: A+B-words (2,233)

                the last lines of the output are (line numbers added)...

                Line
                1057 A­-Klasse
                1057 A­-Klasse-Prototypen
                1058 Binnennachfrage|Binnenmarkt|Binnenland...
                1059 Büssem|Bürotechnik|Büros|Büroleitung
                1060 Documents\NotetabBetaTest\badregexpreplace.txt" Pattern 1:
                1061 Unique Words with Stop Words Removed.

                That is, out of 2,233 stop words, it outputs 1,526 stop words with
                the result plus some additional text.

                Thanks for your great help and patience in this matter!

                Flo
              • Sheri
                Message 7 of 30 , Jul 14, 2006
                  Hi Flo,

                  Yahoo has wrapped a couple of long lines. The first was actually
                  commented out, it begins with.

                  ;^!AppendtoFile

                  The wrapped portion is getting written into your file. It looks like
                  it actually wrapped twice, once at "Documents" and again at "^%Pat"

                  Another is nearer the bottom, and ^!Info command, looks like it
                  wrapped at the word "Unique".

                  Please unwrap those long lines and try it again. You could actually
                  remove the long comment line along with the two comments lines above
                  it.

                  --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "jonas_ramus" <jonas_ramus@...>
                  wrote:

                  > Sheri,
                  >
                  > I immediately tested this third version. There are some problems
                  > with the output as follows:
                  >
                  > 1. When taking as...
                  >
                  > word list: ntf-wordlist.txt (16,000)
                  > stop words: ntf-stopwords (250)
                  >
                  > the last lines of the output are (lines numbers added)...
                  >
                  > Line
                  > 15500 Yucca
                  > 15501 Yumen
                  > 15002 Zweifacher|Zwei-Tank-Systeme|Zwei|Zweckverband|....
                  > 15503 Unique Words with Stop Words Removed.
                  >
                  > That is, it outputs all the stop words (Z-words). Line 15503
                  outputs
                  > the text of the final message.
                  >
                  > 2. When taking as...
                  >
                  > word list: B-words (1,176)
                  > stop words: A+B-words (2,233)
                  >
                  > the last lines of the output are (line numbers added)...
                  >
                  > Line
                  > 1057 A­-Klasse
                  > 1057 A­-Klasse-Prototypen
                  > 1058 Binnennachfrage|Binnenmarkt|Binnenland...
                  > 1059 Büssem|Bürotechnik|Büros|Büroleitung
                  > 1060 Documents\NotetabBetaTest\badregexpreplace.txt" Pattern 1:
                  > 1061 Unique Words with Stop Words Removed.
                  >
                  > That is, out of 2,233 stop words, it outputs 1,526 stop words with
                  > the result plus some additional text.
                  >
                  > Thanks for your great help and patience in this matter!
                  >
                  > Flo

                • abairheart
                  Message 8 of 30 , Jul 14, 2006
                    --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "rpdooling" <rpdooling@...> wrote:

                    > >> Sigh, thanks to Yahoo I lost a long message
                    > >> I had written as reply here.
                    >
                    > Maybe we should form a band of renegades, run off and start a separate
                    > newsgroup on Google Groups.
                    >
                    > I'm game if anybody else want to go. I'm tired of this interface.
                    >
                    > rick

                    Do you get a commission from google for transfering groups to them?
                  • adrien
                    Message 9 of 30 , Jul 14, 2006
                      Op vr, 14-07-2006 te 16:21 +0000, schreef abairheart:
                      > Do you get a commission from google for transfering groups to them?

                      Well, first: I do not understand why Fookes software run not its own
                      mailinglist. Second: I did lost also several messages, because for some
                      reason my provider (I think, i just asked this to them) classified the
                      Yahoo messages as spam!

                      (So, where can I download the beta version?)
                      --
                      adrien <adrien.verlee@...>
                    • jonas_ramus
                      Message 10 of 30 , Jul 14, 2006
                        Sheri,

                        Now I've got it. Thanks again. I'm much obliged to you for your help. I
                        think that's a perfect solution now.

                        Flo
                      • rpdooling
                        Message 11 of 30 , Jul 14, 2006
                          >> Do you get a commission from google for
                          >> transfering groups to them?

                          This is a joke without the smiley face, right?

                          rd
                        • Bob McAllister
                          Message 12 of 30 , Jul 14, 2006
                            On 7/14/06, jonas_ramus <jonas_ramus@...> wrote:

                            > Unless we don't get another solution from Sheri, Don, or anybody
                            > else, I'll have to carry on with other tools.

                            > By the way, this task could even be solved with the free-form text
                            > database from which these lists are derived (www.askSam.com).
                            > However, this needs some additional procedures. So I was dreaming of
                            > a more simple solution with NoteTab...
                            >
                            > Flo

                            Flo

                            Here is a "solution" that I think is close to your original idea.

                            H="Remove stop words and duplicates"
                            ^!Set %wlfile%=^?[(T=O)Select file to be cleaned]
                            ^!Set %xlfile%=^?[(T=O)Select list of stop words]
                            ^!SetScreenUpdate Off
                            ^!StatusShow Setting up ...
                            ^!Open ^%xlfile%
                            ^!SetListDelimiter ^p
                            ^!Select All
                            ^!SetArray %stopwords%=^$StrSort("^$GetSelection$";False;True;True)$
                            ^!Close ^%xlfile% Discard
                            ^!StatusShow Processing file ... may take some time!
                            ^!SetScreenUpdate Off
                            ^!Open ^%wlfile%
                            ^!Set %wlcount%=^$Calc(^$GetParaCount$-1;0)$
                            ^!Select All
                            ^$StrSort("^$GetSelection$";False;True;True)$
                            ^!Set %index%=1
                            ^!Jump 1
                            :loop
                            ^!Replace "^%stopwords^%index%%^p" >> "" CS
                            ^!Inc %index%
                            ^!If ^%index%=^%stopwords0% skip
                            ^!Goto loop
                            ^!StatusClose
                            ^!jump 1
                            ^!Set %nlcount%=^$Calc(^$GetParaCount$-1;0)$
                            ^!Save As ^$GetPath(^%wlfile%)$newlist.txt
                            ^!Close Discard
                            ^!Info Task complete.^%NL%^%NL%Original ^%wlcount% lines in
                            ^%wlfile%^%NL% were reduced to ^%nlcount% in
                            ^$GetPath(^%wlfile%)$newlist.txt

                            Note that the final line (beginning ^!Info) may break were it wraps in
                            your email software and need to be rejoined.

                            The clip asks you to select two files (Word List and StopWord List)
                            and reads the stop words into an array to be used as the basis for
                            searching the list to be cleaned. A reduced list is then saved back
                            into the folder that Word List came from.

                            The maximum size (unknown to me) of a NoteTab array will put a limit
                            on the size of the StopWord files handled, but it copes with your
                            samples.

                            I have used the final parameter on ^$StrSort()$ to remove the
                            duplicates from the lists as the sort occurs.

                            Sorting both lists on the same basis lets me remove the W (whole file)
                            parameter from ^!Replace for a huge speed increase. Even so, it is not
                            a super-fast process on my old PII.

                            I hope this helps.

                            Bob McAllister
                          • jonas_ramus
                            Message 13 of 30 , Jul 15, 2006
                              --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Bob McAllister" <fortiter@...>
                              wrote:

                              > Flo
                              >
                              > Here is a "solution" that I think is close to your original idea...

                              Bob,

                              Thanks! This is also an interesting solution. Evidently, it works
                              with NT 5.0 Beta and NT 4.95 as well.

                              I tested this clip with the above mentioned files - see
                              http://flogehrke.homepage.t-online.de/194/ntf-wordlist.zip

                              It properly reduces the ntf-wordlist.txt from 16,000 to 15,500 words
                              when using ntf-stopwords.txt (250 stop words).

                              It runs into some problems, however, if the stop word list is bigger
                              than the word list. This works correctly with just a few words. When
                              replacing the word list (16,000) and the stop word list (250) with
                              each other, the output file should be empty since all the stop words
                              occur in the word list. In this case, your clip is reducing the 250
                              (stop) words to 247 words for me.

                              You also have to take care to enter an empty line at the end of the
                              stop word list. Without that, the last stop word will not be removed.

                              Flo
                            • Sheri
                              Message 14 of 30 , Jul 15, 2006
                                Hi Flo,

                                Here is one more approach. It is more along the lines of Don's
                                original suggestion, but it still needs regular expressions. The
                                bottleneck in this one is sorting the combined list of stop words and
                                word list (if they are big). With my equipment, using two lists of
                                16000 words took about 10 seconds longer than my other clip. But
                                there could be instances where the size of the lists, speed of your
                                computer and amount of memory might make this one faster. On my
                                equipment this clip seems to be about equal in speed to the other one
                                removing the 250 stop words.

                                While doing this clip I discovered that the clip function ^$StrSort$
                                and the menu command for sorting lines do not have the same collating
                                order for symbols and such. I thought the menu command seemed to
                                process the combined list faster, but the sequencing was not
                                compatible with my approach and using it led to wrong results.

                                Please be sure to unwrap the long line near the end.

                                H="New Word List Approach"
                                ;2006-06-15 Created by Sheri Pierce
                                ;requires Notetab 5 beta
                                ^!SetClipboard ""
                                ^!SetScreenUpdate Off
                                ^!Set %xlfile%=^?{(T=O)Browse to stop list=^%xlfile%}
                                ^!Set %wordfile%=^?{(T=O)Browse to word list=^%wordfile%}
                                ^!Set %starttime%=^$GetDate(tt)$
                                ^!Open ^%xlfile%
                                ^!Select All
                                ^!Menu Modify/Lines/Trim Blanks
                                ;remove any empty lines
                                ^!Replace "^(\r\n)+" >> "" RAWS
                                ^!Set %word%="^$StrTrim(^$GetText$)$"
                                ;^$StrSort("Str";CaseSensitive;Ascending;RemoveDuplicates)$
                                ^!Set %word%="^$StrSort("^%word%";NO;Yes;Yes)$"
                                ^!Select All
                                ^!InsertText ^%word%
                                ;append " " to each line of stop list
                                ^!Replace ^([^\r\n]+)(?=\r|\n|\z) >> "$0 " RAWS
                                ^!Replace "(?<= )(?=\r?\n\z)" >> "!" RAWS
                                ^!Set %word%=^$GetText$
                                ^!Close Discard
                                ;Load word list
                                ^!Toolbar New Document
                                ^!SetScreenUpdate On
                                ^!InsertFile ^%wordfile%
                                ^!IfError Error
                                ^!SetWordWrap Off
                                ^!Select All
                                ^!Menu Modify/Lines/Trim Blanks
                                ;sort ascending remove duplicates
                                ^!Select All
                                ^$StrSort("^$GetSelection$";NO;Yes;Yes)$
                                ;make sure last line ends with crlf
                                ^!Jump Doc_End
                                ^!InsertText ^P
                                ;remove any empty lines
                                ^!Replace "^(\r\n)+" >> "" RAWS
                                ^!Jump Doc_End
                                ^%word%
                                ^!Set %word%=""
                                ^!Jump Doc_Start
                                ^!StatusShow Sorting...
                                ;^$StrSort("Str";CaseSensitive;Ascending;RemoveDuplicates)$
                                ^!Set %word%=^$StrSort("^$GetText$";NO;Yes;NO)$
                                ^!Select All
                                ^%word%
                                ^!Set ^%word%=""
                                ^!StatusClose
                                ^!Replace "^([^\r\n]+)\r?\n\1 \!?((\r?\n)|\z)" >> "" RAWS
                                ^!Replace "^([^\r\n]+) \!?((\r?\n)|\z)" >> "" RAWS
                                ^!Jump Doc_End
                                Message 15 of 30 , Jul 15, 2006
                                  Hi,

                                  Isn't Google groups is just a web interface to non-binary Usenet
                                  groups?

                                  Message 16 of 30 , Jul 15, 2006
                                    Sheri,

                                    Another perfect solution indeed! It gets to correct results with all
                                    combinations of the test lists. Although each clip represents another
                                    approach, there is no considerable difference in the running time on my
                                    PC. Maybe it's measurable with much bigger lists.

                                    Thank you so much for all the trouble you have been taking in this
                                    matter! I hope that even more NT users will profit from these solutions.

                                    Flo
                                  • rpdooling
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Jul 15, 2006
                                      >> Isn't Google groups is just a web interface
                                      >> to non-binary Usenet groups?

                                      Sheri,

                                      I'm told it can be a web interface to already existing usenet groups.
                                      Truth be told, I don't know. I access it via the web.

                                      You can mark threads to follow, if there is new activity on a thread,
                                      it appears at upper right.

                                      Look at the Python group for a sample

                                      http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.python

                                      rd
                                    • Bob McAllister
                                      Message 18 of 30 , Jul 15, 2006
                                        On 7/15/06, jonas_ramus <jonas_ramus@...> wrote:

                                        > Bob,
                                        >
                                        > Thanks! This is also an interesting solution. Evidently, it works
                                        > with NT 5.0 Beta and NT 4.95 as well.
                                        >

                                        > It runs into some problems, however, if the stop word list is bigger
                                        > than the word list. This works correctly with just a few words. When
                                        > replacing the word list (16,000) and the stop word list (250) with
                                        > each other, the output file should be empty since all the stop words
                                        > occur in the word list.

                                        Flo

                                        Your comment that "all the stop words occur in the word list" tipped
                                        me off to my error. The speed modification that I made (running
                                        Replace without a W switch) breaks down if there is a stopword that
                                        does not occur in the word list being cleaned.

                                        If you modify your test files by adding a few words to your
                                        ntf-stopwords.txt file that are NOT contained in ntf-wordlist.txt,
                                        then you will catch my error when using the files as planned as well
                                        as backwards.

                                        The compromise solution is to reset the search to the top of the file
                                        whenever this situation occurs by adding ^!IfError Jump 1 in the loop
                                        as shown below.
                                        :loop
                                        ^!Replace "^%stopwords^%index%%^p" >> "" CS
                                        ^!IfError ^!Jump 1
                                        ^!Inc %index%
                                        ^!If ^%index%=^%stopwords0% skip
                                        ^!Goto loop

                                        Bob McAllister
                                      • jonas_ramus
                                        Message 19 of 30 , Jul 16, 2006
                                          Bob,

                                          You wrote...

                                          > If you modify your test files by adding a few words to your
                                          > ntf-stopwords.txt file that are NOT contained in ntf-wordlist.txt,
                                          > then you will catch my error...

                                          So I did, and I repeated the test with a stop word list that is
                                          bigger than the file to be cleaned (using ntf-wordlist.txt as stop
                                          words and ntf-stopwords.txt as file to be cleaned). Now the
                                          newlist.txt contains those three additional words, which is correct.
                                          But again, it contains 248 of 250 stop words (Z-words in ntf-
                                          stopwords.txt), which is not correct since this processing now
                                          should output those three additional words only.

                                          Next, I removed the three additional words from the stop words list
                                          again and added that "^!IfError ^!Jump 1" line. Again, the result of
                                          the same test isn't completely correct. When finished, the message
                                          is...

                                          Task complete.
                                          Original 250 lines in [path]\ntf-stopwords.txt
                                          were reduced to 0 in [path]\newlist.txt

                                          The newlist.txt, however, contains the following line

                                          Zucker-Zwei-Tank-

                                          This appears as a concatenation and shortening of two compounds in
                                          the stop words list: probably "Zucker-Aktiengesellschaft" or "Zucker-
                                          Marktordnung", and "Zwei-Tank-Systeme".

                                          Furthermore, it seems to me that you didn't deal with the "empty
                                          line problem" in the stop word list I mentioned before. Maybe we
                                          have to add something like...

                                          ^!Jump Doc_End
                                          ^!IfFalse ^$IsEmpty(^$GetLine$)$ Next Else Skip
                                          ^!Keyboard Enter

                                          to be executed in the opened stop word list in order to take care
                                          that it ends with an empty line. Without that empty line, the
                                          newlist.txt now contains...

                                          Zucker-Zwei-Tank-Zweifacher

                                          As mentioned before, we now also get the last stop word "Zweifacher".

                                          Flo
                                        • Alan_C
                                          Message 20 of 30 , Jul 17, 2006
                                            FWIW

                                            As far as the (sourceforge project) gnuwin32 utilities

                                            (though this may or may not be easy due to I on Win 2K was missing/needed
                                            MSVCP60.DLL which is a C, C++ library that I wasn't pre informed about)

                                            I got as far as getting duplicates removed (I'm short on time). Next would be
                                            to either 1. Notetab array of stopwords to a clip !^Replace command (replace
                                            with nothing) or 2. Notetab array of stopwords fed to the gnuwin32 tr utility
                                            so as to substitute each stopword with nothing. I didn't yet get the Notetab
                                            clip command line for to run the gnuwin32 utilities. So far what you see
                                            below is I manually did the command line in a console.

                                            1. DL'd the file: coreutils-5.3.0.exe

                                            2. DL'd the file: msvcp60.zip (has the MSVCP60.DLL)

                                            Ran #1 (the installer file for gnuwin32 coreutils)

                                            copied MSVCP60.DLL to c:\winnt\system32

                                            added the gunwin32\bin folder to my PATH statement

                                            c:\test.txt (sorted ascending in Notetab) (gnuwin32 also has a sort)

                                            (news occurs twice). uniq eliminate duplicates

                                            C:\>cat test.txt
                                            blue
                                            bravo
                                            charlie
                                            favorite
                                            group
                                            mountain
                                            news
                                            news
                                            omega
                                            purple
                                            river
                                            valley

                                            C:\>uniq test.txt > testout.txt

                                            C:\>cat testout.txt
                                            blue
                                            bravo
                                            charlie
                                            favorite
                                            group
                                            mountain
                                            news
                                            omega
                                            purple
                                            river
                                            valley

                                            C:\>
                                            ------------------

                                            That's the extent so far of my gnuwin32 Linux/Unix like utilities foray on
                                            Win.

                                            --
                                            Alan.
                                            Message 21 of 30 , Jul 18, 2006
                                              Hi Everybody Reading This,

                                              I copied the OffTopic list this message so that for those that
                                              want to continue discussing it can do so over there. Please reply
                                              to the [OT] copy of this and not the [Clips]. TIA Oh, see my
                                              sigline or a [NTB] footer to get on the OffTopic list which we
                                              need to go on for further discussion. This is basically about
                                              "why we use and will continue to use Yahoogroups, so you can
                                              delete now if you don't care or could care less. I'm pretty well
                                              firm on the idea of staying with Yahoogroups...

                                              SHERI WROTE...

                                              >> Sigh, thanks to Yahoo I lost a long message I had written as
                                              >> reply here.

                                              I'm sorry about you loosing your long message. I normally have my
                                              PasteBoard on for anytime I am ordering something, filling about
                                              forms that have message/comments boxes, for setting up things
                                              like updating Yahoogroups messages sent out, and a host of other
                                              things. The reason for whatever unknown reasons the pages get
                                              wiped out or terminated for taking to long to fill out something,
                                              I have it still in NoteTab to Paste in again when retrying. This
                                              disconnect/drop off, or whatever causes happens to me from all
                                              sorts of places. My point is to say that Yahoogroups caused it is
                                              an unfair comment. I know that those things happen for all kinds
                                              of reasons. Having my PasteBoard active during the times I don't
                                              want to loose 15 minutes of re-typing saves me all kinds of time
                                              and aggravation. Just the fact that I have the need to make a
                                              PasteBoard tells me that it happens a lot and in other places
                                              than Yahoogroups. In fact, I don't ever remember Yahoogroups cut
                                              me off.

                                              RICK WROTE...

                                              > Maybe we should form a band of renegades, run off and start a
                                              > separate newsgroup on Google Groups.

                                              That's your freedom to speak and freedom to do what you want. You
                                              are more than welcome becoming a renegade. :-)

                                              > I'm game if anybody else want to go. I'm tired of this interface.

                                              You won't find me being a renegade in this case. <g>

                                              > rick

                                              Thanks! ;) More...

                                              >Op vr, 14-07-2006 te 16:21 +0000, schreef abairheart:
                                              >> Do you get a commission from google for transfering groups to them?

                                              ADRIEN WROTE...

                                              >Well, first: I do not understand why Fookes software run not its
                                              >own mailinglist. Second: I did lost also several messages,
                                              >because for some reason my provider (I think, i just asked this
                                              >to them) classified the Yahoo messages as spam!

                                              Building, buying, providing upkeep/maintenance, features, and
                                              many other things prevent us from making or buying our own
                                              discussion mailing list. Actually, we have one, but don't use it
                                              for our Fookes Software [FS] discussion mailing lists. We might,
                                              in the future, use it for a very small amount of beta testers on
                                              our FS Private beta testing list. Using our own list or
                                              transferring to another list, for me, is just not reasonably
                                              worth doing for larger list. The pros far out weight the cons as
                                              far as staying as it right now. We have had private/our own lists
                                              before and they just didn't work out well. Yahoogroups is the
                                              least hassle to maintain and for the users too because of multi-
                                              list members. Just one setting has to be changed for it to span
                                              across all the lists they are subscribed to. Yahoogroups has only
                                              caused minor inconveniences at time and I and very happy that
                                              they exist. I was with them when they were the little guys:
                                              MakeList and OneList. I've watched them grow for over 12 years
                                              and for the most part am extremely happy with them. I've seen,
                                              used, and posted messages on a host of discussion mailing lists.
                                              There are certain things that I require, if possible, that I will
                                              not move to a list if they have or have not the feature, or
                                              whatever. Yahoogroups hits my "most wanted/needed" list the
                                              majority of time over any other list.

                                              We'll stay with Yahoogroups who, as a whole, has mean very nice
                                              for us. I find that this subject falls into the "use Linux, not
                                              puking Microsoft" crowd. There's a minority of people that like
                                              to bash Microsoft, etc. and they post so often about it making a
                                              lot of practically slanderous remarks, that some would think
                                              everybody hates Microsoft. Not true!, at all. I don't bother with
                                              those kind of threads. They normally just get deleted after I
                                              scan very quickly to see if it has to go to OffTopic or for the
                                              cussing/bashing to send out personal messages, etc.

                                              Happy Topics,
                                              Jody

                                              All Fookes Software discussion mailing lists with brief
                                              description of lists and easy sign-on/off...
                                              http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm

                                              The NoteTab Off-Topic List
                                              mailto:ntb-OffTopic-Subscribe@yahoogroups.com (Subscribe)
                                            • abairheart
                                              Message 22 of 30 , Jul 19, 2006
                                                --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "rpdooling" <rpdooling@...> wrote:

                                                > >> Do you get a commission from google for
                                                > >> transfering groups to them?
                                                >
                                                > This is a joke without the smiley face, right?
                                                >
                                                > rd

                                                Whaddaya mean WITHOUT smiley face?

                                                I WAS smiling.