NoteTab Pro 5.0 beta available

  • Eric Fookes
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 12, 2006
      Hi everyone,

      NoteTab Pro 5.0 beta is now available for download. This is not the
      final release and it should only be installed by people who are
      comfortable with using beta software. If you own a registered version of
      NoteTab, we recommend that you don't overwrite it with this beta
      release. Instead, install it in the suggested folder.

      This beta version is nearly identical to the full version. The main
      difference is that it is time-limited and will stop running at the end
      of July. The other difference is that it is strongly protected against
      hacking and patching. These protections may have a noticeable impact on
      performance. The registered version will not have these limitations.

      There are two packaged versions of this beta release. One with the
      spell-checker dictionary and thesaurus, and the other smaller one
      without these files:

      NoteTab Pro 5.0 beta with dictionaries (size: 3,671 KB)
      http://www.fookes.com/ftp/beta/NotePro5_Beta_Setup.exe

      NoteTab Pro 5.0 beta NO dictionaries (size: 2,454 KB)
      http://www.fookes.com/ftp/beta/NotePro5_NdBeta_Setup.exe

      Please send us feedback if you encounter any issues. Thanks for testing!

      Changes in Version 5.0
      ----------------------
      * Added full support for running NoteTab under multi-user and network
      environments.
      * Can be run reliably from a user "Limited Account".
      * Improved user-interface appearance under Windows XP.
      * Improved memory usage and processing speed.
      * Improved conversion between HTML and plain-text format.
      * Added new print engine with Print Preview tool.
      * NoteTab Pro now supports line lengths up to a theoretical limit of 2 GB.
      * Improved Undo feature in NoteTab Pro.
      * Improved opening files through the Windows Shell and Send To feature.
      * Replaced regex engine with a powerful new one that is based on PCRE
      (Perl 5 compatible).
      * All core libraries have been rewritten for improved reliability and
      compatibility.
      * Added support for IntelliComplete Server (www.flashpeak.com).
      * Improved "Go to Hyperlink" function to support opening email addresses.
      * Removed redundant info box with Replace dialog when no more
      occurrences found.
      * Dot at start of filename is no longer treated as extension delimiter.
      * Fixed issue opening documents with very long fully qualified filenames
      through Windows Explorer.
      * Fixed issue with folder being locked (can't rename or delete) after
      NoteTab opens a file from it.
      * Fixed issue opening HTML documents in Firefox.
      * Registered version succesfully tested under Wine.
      * Many other minor improvements and bug fixes.
      * Revised license pricing.
      * Updated documentation.

      Clip-code additions and improvements:
      -------------------------------------

      New predefined Clip variable:
      ^%DOLLAR% = Dollar character ($)

      ^$GetDocMatchAll("Pattern"[;SubPatternId])$
      Finds all matching strings based on the supplied regex pattern.
      Optionally specify a subpattern value between 1 and 65536.
      Example that collects all URLs in a Web page:
      ^!Set %NewVariable%=^$GetDocMatchAll("(?s)<a.+?href\s*?=\s*?"(.*?)"";1)$

      ^$GetReSubStrings$
      The above function is best used together with ^!SetArray. It extracts
      all Substrings from a regex search after using ^!Find. Example:
      ^!SetArray %Array%=^$GetReSubStrings$

      ^$IsOnline$
      Returns True if NoteTab detects a connection to the Internet.

      ^$GetDataPath$
      Returns the folder where NoteTab stores user settings and data.

      ^$GetLibraryUserPath$
      Returns the folder where NoteTab stores user-modified libraries.

      ^$GetLibraryPath(LibraryName)$
      Added support for optional parameter that causes the function to return
      the location of the specified library. The following example returns the
      location of the current library:
      ^$GetLibraryPath(^$GetLibraryName$)$

      ^$IsNumber(Value)$ improved to support negative and decimal values.

      ^!Find and ^!Replace improved to support selection of regex subpatterns.

      Syntax Changes from Previous Regex Engine
      There are significant differences compared to the previous regex syntax
      used in earlier versions of NoteTab. The most notable ones are listed below:

      \n Newline (hex 0A); before it was hex 0D 0A
      \l and \p - no longer used

      Tagged Matches:
      ( ) replaces { }

      Replace tokens:
      & no longer used; replace with $0
      \1 to \9 meaning changed; replace with $1 to $9

      Eric Fookes
      http://www.fookes.com/
    • Scott Fordin
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 12, 2006
        Eric Fookes wrote:
        > NoteTab Pro 5.0 beta is now available for download.

        Congratulations, Eric! I know it was a long road to get
        to this point. Well done!

        Scott
      • abairheart
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 14, 2006
          > Please send us feedback if you encounter any issues. Thanks for testing!

          Eric,

          On W2k SP4, I have found the following:

          Simple RegExp searches SUCCEED,
          Complicated ones FAIL:

          Menu driven search for:
          "^From .*" WORKS, but
          "^From .*\n" FAILS

          Clips (using ^!Find) on a raw mailbox file:

          "^From (.*\n)+Date.\s"
          "^Mess(.*\n)+\n(.*\n)+\nhttp.*\n\n"
          "^Number(.*\n)+MAIL Server"
          "^Total(.*\n)+Total Bandwidth[* (]*B"
          all FAILED

          Clips (using ^!Find) on an HTML file:

          <^%tagname%
          and (</^%tagname%>)|(<^%tagname%)

          SUCCEED.

          If RegExp searches stay as fast as normal searches, when the bugs are
          fixed, I will be impressed.

          Keep on Truckin'

          Abair
        • abairheart
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 14, 2006

            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 14, 2006
              Hi Abair,

              > Simple RegExp searches SUCCEED,
              > Complicated ones FAIL:
              >
              > Menu driven search for:
              > "^From .*" WORKS, but
              > "^From .*\n" FAILS

              Thanks for your feedback. In the previous regex engine, \n represented a
              Windows line break composed of two characters: hex 0D 0A. Now \n
              represents just hex 0A. As a result, you need to change the "\n" in your
              pattern to "\r\n". Doing that should fix the issue.

              Eric Fookes
              http://www.fookes.com/
            • Jeff Scism
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 14, 2006
                I was having troubles "drilling down" in a directory to open a file this
                morning, with each successively lower level it got slower to open the
                directory, by the time I got down to the one I wanted to open NoteTab
                was frozen for 15 minutes. When it unfroze, I could not select the file
                to open. This could of course be a outside issue to note tab, ie: Win
                XP, but I also note that Norton antivirus takes a LONG time to check the
                Notetab files when opening.

                (As a possibility I am adding 2 gigs of RAM to the computer in the next
                couple of days, waiting for it to arrive, Currently my computer "sees"
                190 MB of 256.).

                ~~

                Jeffery Scism,
                USGenWeb Project Local Coordinator Rep
                NC/NE region

              • Eric Fookes
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 14, 2006
                  Hi Jeff,

                  > I was having troubles "drilling down" in a directory to open a file this
                  > morning, with each successively lower level it got slower to open the
                  > directory, by the time I got down to the one I wanted to open NoteTab
                  > was frozen for 15 minutes. When it unfroze, I could not select the file
                  > to open. This could of course be a outside issue to note tab, ie: Win
                  > XP, but I also note that Norton antivirus takes a LONG time to check the
                  > Notetab files when opening.

                  The File Open dialog box is a Windows component and it's behavior is
                  entirely controlled by Windows, not NoteTab. It's possible that your
                  antivirus is causing this slowdown.

                  Eric Fookes
                  http://www.fookes.com/