Re: [Clip] Entertaining Introduction to Regular Expressions

    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 20, 2006
      Hi Alec and Others,

      >Yes the link was kind of broken by Yahoo (an extra slash got inserted in the
      >first 2006 (it read as 20/06).
      >
      >Jody - with dialup: *don't even think about d/l'ing it* ;-)

      I saw "17m..." and stopped there, because methinks the next letter
      was, "b," as in "MB." <vgb> I did just go and get the links with
      the other format(s) and sizes that I don't think was originally
      mentioned (which see below). I do not want a book on RegExp.
      NoteTab's for the current is about my speed, so I'll just wait on
      Eric to see what he comes up with for NTB 5.0 for the new PCRE
      RegExp engine, but in Eric's non-Geek mode. <g>

      > Lee (&others): This page
      > http://www.ugcs.caltech.edu/manuals/libs/pcre-6.4/pcrepattern.html
      > covers what Sheri's reference does in about 200+ Power Point
      > slides delivered in a PDF format, without the nice looking
      > backgrounds. - I stopped clicking at around slide 150:-)
      >
      > Note: the PCRE Regular expressions engine is *NOT* what is
      > currently available in NoteTab. However if you want to get a
      > jump-start on NoteTab 5.0 regular expressions either the
      > http://www.gravitonic.com/talks PDF file or the above reference
      > will be of use.

      php|works Toronto 2004
      ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
      Andrei's Regex Clinic
      Regular Expressions: every developer's best friend and worst nightmare!

      Join Andrei Zmievski, PHP developer and author of the PHP Regex
      (PCRE) extension, on a journey that will take you from your first
      steps into the world of regular expressions to complete mastery of
      this most useful of tools.

      A must for everyone who's ever wondered what /(?<=foo)(bar)/ means.

      [Watch for hard breaks in links below. Go full screen or
      drag/drop the width wider. Copy/paste, etc. to get them to work.
      In order, you had .pdf, .zip, and .zip for link endings. My
      insert in these brackets which is what they mean. ;)]

      PDF (14 MB)
      http://www.gravitonic.com/do_download.php?download_file=talks/phpworks2004/regex_clinic_phpworks_2004.pdf
      Quicktime (18 MB)
      http://www.gravitonic.com/do_download.php?download_file=talks/phpworks2004/regex_clinic_phpworks_2004.mov.zip
      PowerPoint (14 MB)
      http://www.gravitonic.com/do_download.php?download_file=talks/phpworks2004/regex_clinic_phpworks_2004.ppt.zip

      <off topic>
      Two years ago I saw some outside plant telephone pole jocks
      working near our house and asked them if they knew when we might
      get high speed connection out here. They said in about 6 months
      we should get ISDN. Nothing yet and nothing on the horizon that I
      can find out about. Satellite is about the only option that might
      work for me, but fairly expensive, especially since we would not
      have it hooked up for TV, that is, connected to a TV in the
      house.

      Convert your eMail programs... Aid4Mail: http://www.fookes.us/aid4mail

      Freeware and Shareware; some seamleesly integrates with NoteTab:
      http://www.sojourner.us/software

    • Sheri
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 20, 2006
        Hi Alec,

        --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Alec Burgess\(g\)" <buralex@...>
        wrote:
        > Lee (&others): This page
        > http://www.ugcs.caltech.edu/manuals/libs/pcre-
        > 6.4/pcrepattern.html covers what Sheri's reference
        > does in about 200+ power point slides delivered in
        > a pdf format, without the nice looking
        > backgrounds. - I stopped clicking at around slide
        > 150:-)

        They may discuss the same subject, but your link is not entertaining
        or introductory :D

        It is a bit much for one sitting, but at some point you should pick
        up where you left off, the latter part introduces more advanced
        subject matter.

        The 16-17mb intro download was here:

        http://www.gravitonic.com/talks/

        Listed not far from the top as "Andrei's Regexp
        Clinic" with link text of "PDF"

        > Note: the pcre Regular expressions engine is *NOT*
        > what is currently available in Notetab.

        Good point. Search for "regexp" in the main help file for current
        Notetab regexp particulars.

        > However if
        > you want to get a jump-start on Notetab 5.0
        > regular expressions either the
        > http://www.gravitonic.com/talks/ pdf file or the
        > above reference will be of use.

        Notetab with PCRE would be awesome. The current help file,
        under "Known Issues", does say "We plan to use a new regexp engine
        based on Perl 5 in the next major update of NoteTab."

      • Sheri
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 20, 2006
          Hi Jody,

          You would like it, I should think you could download overnight or
          something. Unfortunately you've posted some links to older versions
          from 2004. I would get the 2006 one if you can.

          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 20, 2006
            Hi Sheri,

            >You would like it, I should think you could download overnight or
            >something. Unfortunately you've posted some links to older versions
            >from 2004. I would get the 2006 one if you can.

            Yes, I download overnight at times with a downloader that will
            reconnect and start downloading again (I think haha) where it
            left off, or I just download when I'll be out for a few hours.
            Other times I just get big ones started in GetRight and then
            Pause and download bits at a time here and there.

            I thought I clicked on the link you sent and then just used
            PasteBoard for the text and links, then reformatted the text with
            links. (Just went back and looked; oops. ;) So, we only have a
            choice of PDF or PDF for 2006? <g>

            php|tek 2006 PHP 6 and Unicode
            Andrei's Regex Clinic
            PDF (16 MB)
            http://www.gravitonic.com/do_download.php?download_file=talks/phptek-2006/regex-clinic_phptek2006.pdf

            I'm still not too keen about getting anything until Eric is done
            and says this not that and that is done this way, etc. I try to
            stay clear of you "guys" testing RegExp so I don't learn
            something I'm not suppose to. :-)