Re: [Clip] Entertaining Introduction to Regular Expressions

  • Alec Burgess(g)
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 19, 2006
      Hi Sheri:
      Yes the link was kind of broken by Yahoo (an extra slash got inserted in the
      first 2006 (it read as 20/06).

      Jody - with dialup: *don't even think about d/l'ing it* ;-)

      Lee (&others): This page
      http://www.ugcs.caltech.edu/manuals/libs/pcre-6.4/pcrepattern.html covers
      what Sheri's reference does in about 200+ power point slides delivered in a
      pdf format, without the nice looking backgrounds. - I stopped clicking at
      around slide 150:-)

      Note: the pcre Regular expressions engine is *NOT* what is currently
      available in Notetab. However if you want to get a jump-start on Notetab 5.0
      regular expressions either the http://www.gravitonic.com/talks/ pdf file or
      the above reference will be of use.

      Regards ... Alec
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 20, 2006
        Hi Alec and Others,

        >Yes the link was kind of broken by Yahoo (an extra slash got inserted in the
        >first 2006 (it read as 20/06).
        >
        >Jody - with dialup: *don't even think about d/l'ing it* ;-)

        I saw "17m..." and stopped there, because methinks the next letter
        was, "b," as in "MB." <vgb> I did just go and get the links with
        the other format(s) and sizes that I don't think was originally
        mentioned (which see below). I do not want a book on RegExp.
        NoteTab's for the current is about my speed, so I'll just wait on
        Eric to see what he comes up with for NTB 5.0 for the new PCRE
        RegExp engine, but in Eric's non-Geek mode. <g>

        > Lee (&others): This page
        > http://www.ugcs.caltech.edu/manuals/libs/pcre-6.4/pcrepattern.html
        > covers what Sheri's reference does in about 200+ Power Point
        > slides delivered in a PDF format, without the nice looking
        > backgrounds. - I stopped clicking at around slide 150:-)
        >
        > Note: the PCRE Regular expressions engine is *NOT* what is
        > currently available in NoteTab. However if you want to get a
        > jump-start on NoteTab 5.0 regular expressions either the
        > http://www.gravitonic.com/talks PDF file or the above reference
        > will be of use.

        php|works Toronto 2004
        ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
        Andrei's Regex Clinic
        Regular Expressions: every developer's best friend and worst nightmare!

        Join Andrei Zmievski, PHP developer and author of the PHP Regex
        (PCRE) extension, on a journey that will take you from your first
        steps into the world of regular expressions to complete mastery of
        this most useful of tools.

        A must for everyone who's ever wondered what /(?<=foo)(bar)/ means.

        [Watch for hard breaks in links below. Go full screen or
        drag/drop the width wider. Copy/paste, etc. to get them to work.
        In order, you had .pdf, .zip, and .zip for link endings. My
        insert in these brackets which is what they mean. ;)]

        PDF (14 MB)
        http://www.gravitonic.com/do_download.php?download_file=talks/phpworks2004/regex_clinic_phpworks_2004.pdf
        Quicktime (18 MB)
        http://www.gravitonic.com/do_download.php?download_file=talks/phpworks2004/regex_clinic_phpworks_2004.mov.zip
        PowerPoint (14 MB)
        http://www.gravitonic.com/do_download.php?download_file=talks/phpworks2004/regex_clinic_phpworks_2004.ppt.zip

        <off topic>
        Two years ago I saw some outside plant telephone pole jocks
        working near our house and asked them if they knew when we might
        get high speed connection out here. They said in about 6 months
        we should get ISDN. Nothing yet and nothing on the horizon that I
        can find out about. Satellite is about the only option that might
        work for me, but fairly expensive, especially since we would not
        have it hooked up for TV, that is, connected to a TV in the
        house.

        Convert your eMail programs... Aid4Mail: http://www.fookes.us/aid4mail

        Freeware and Shareware; some seamleesly integrates with NoteTab:
        http://www.sojourner.us/software

      • Sheri
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 20, 2006
          Hi Alec,

          --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Alec Burgess\(g\)" <buralex@...>
          wrote:
          > Lee (&others): This page
          > http://www.ugcs.caltech.edu/manuals/libs/pcre-
          > 6.4/pcrepattern.html covers what Sheri's reference
          > does in about 200+ power point slides delivered in
          > a pdf format, without the nice looking
          > backgrounds. - I stopped clicking at around slide
          > 150:-)

          They may discuss the same subject, but your link is not entertaining
          or introductory :D

          It is a bit much for one sitting, but at some point you should pick
          up where you left off, the latter part introduces more advanced
          subject matter.

          The 16-17mb intro download was here:

          http://www.gravitonic.com/talks/

          Listed not far from the top as "Andrei's Regexp
          Clinic" with link text of "PDF"

          > Note: the pcre Regular expressions engine is *NOT*
          > what is currently available in Notetab.

          Good point. Search for "regexp" in the main help file for current
          Notetab regexp particulars.

          > However if
          > you want to get a jump-start on Notetab 5.0
          > regular expressions either the
          > http://www.gravitonic.com/talks/ pdf file or the
          > above reference will be of use.

          Notetab with PCRE would be awesome. The current help file,
          under "Known Issues", does say "We plan to use a new regexp engine
          based on Perl 5 in the next major update of NoteTab."

        • Sheri
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 20, 2006
            Hi Jody,

            You would like it, I should think you could download overnight or
            something. Unfortunately you've posted some links to older versions
            from 2004. I would get the 2006 one if you can.

            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 20, 2006
              Hi Sheri,

              >You would like it, I should think you could download overnight or
              >something. Unfortunately you've posted some links to older versions
              >from 2004. I would get the 2006 one if you can.

              Yes, I download overnight at times with a downloader that will
              reconnect and start downloading again (I think haha) where it
              left off, or I just download when I'll be out for a few hours.
              Other times I just get big ones started in GetRight and then
              Pause and download bits at a time here and there.

              I thought I clicked on the link you sent and then just used
              PasteBoard for the text and links, then reformatted the text with
              links. (Just went back and looked; oops. ;) So, we only have a
              choice of PDF or PDF for 2006? <g>

              php|tek 2006 PHP 6 and Unicode
              Andrei's Regex Clinic
              PDF (16 MB)
              http://www.gravitonic.com/do_download.php?download_file=talks/phptek-2006/regex-clinic_phptek2006.pdf

              I'm still not too keen about getting anything until Eric is done
              and says this not that and that is done this way, etc. I try to
              stay clear of you "guys" testing RegExp so I don't learn
              something I'm not suppose to. :-)