Regarding the solutions to removing lines with CAPs

  • Larry De Coste
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 18, 2006

      Andreas,

      | Posted by: "Andreas" andreas@... dausenkunz

      How about a script to count the number of lines that have the word "Absent" in it. I thought the count occurences menu item would do it but there's no way to feed the phrase to be searched for into it. Perhaps in a future release, they said. Besides the script I wouuld like to write would count the lines that have the word on it, not how many times the word appears.

      I would then run it again for the lines with Tardy in it. Now here's a challenge: Can anyone figure out how I would only count the lines that were later than 8:20AM. I would be looking for students who were over a 1/2 hour late to school.

      Also,

      Sheri,

      | Posted by: "Sheri" silvermoonwoman@... silvermoonwoman2001

      | It was the need to do that type of operation quickly and reliably in
      | Notetab that got me into Perl and more recently PHP. Both are free,

      I was thinking of biting the bullet & learning another language. However I was inclining towards Python. Why don't you like it? I understand that is easier to understand and that it is aimed at text manipulation.

      Thanks for your help, Larry

      --
      Larry De Coste <ladecoste@...>
      Riverside RI EE.UU.
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 19, 2006
        While trying to find a solution to my problem I came across the clip
        library called "nnnLines" in the archives. This can be used to
        perform the "count of absent" and then again for "count lines with
        tardy". Use "getlines if it contains..." clip in above library.
        Download link was in a post of over a year ago.

        --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Larry De Coste <ladecoste@...> wrote:

        [Clip] Digest Number 1826 on 18 Jun 2006 09:22:09 -0000:

        > Andreas,
        >
        > | Posted by: "Andreas" andreas@... dausenkunz
        >
        > How about a script to count the number of lines that have the word
        "Absent" in it. I thought the count occurences menu item would do it
        but there's no way to feed the phrase to be searched for into it.
        Perhaps in a future release, they said. Besides the script I wouuld
        like to write would count the lines that have the word on it, not how
        many times the word appears.

        > I would then run it again for the lines with Tardy in it. Now
        here's a challenge: Can anyone figure out how I would only count the
        lines that were later than 8:20AM. I would be looking for students
        who were over a 1/2 hour late to school.

      • Sheri
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 19, 2006
          --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Larry De Coste <ladecoste@...> wrote:

          > I was thinking of biting the bullet & learning another language.
          However I was inclining towards Python. Why don't you like it? I
          understand that is easier to understand and that it is aimed at text
          manipulation.

          > Thanks for your help, Larry

          Hi Larry,

          Don't think I've ever mentioned Python. I haven't done much with that
          (nothing in the context of text manipulation). Python is the scripting
          language used in Paint Shop Pro. Most of the work is done for you in
          PSP (you can "record" your steps and it creates a working Python
          script) but I went a little beyond that (it was a few years ago). I
          don't remember any of the specifics except that I did ultimately
          accomplish my goal. There are probably pros and cons between Python and
          PHP. They both use PCRE (Perl Compatitble Regular Expressions) but the
          version in PHP is newer. I like PHP so I'm sticking with it :D

        • Bob Gorman
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 30, 2006
            gunnisonbirder ,
            At Monday 07:57 AM 6/19/2006, you wrote:

            >While trying to find a solution to my problem I came across the clip
            >library called "nnnLines" in the archives. This can be used to
            >perform the "count of absent" and then again for "count lines with
            >tardy". Use "getlines if it contains..." clip in above library.
            >Download link was in a post of over a year ago.

            "nnnLines" library sounds like just what I want for a file processing
            template. But where is it? I searched the archive files on the website, and
            also the 'files' area of this Yahoo group, but to no avail.

            Is there another secret archive I don't know about, that has this clip and
            perhaps other useful ones as well?

            Please send a pointer to the download link.

            Thanks,
            Bob

          • loro
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 30, 2006
              Bob Gorman wrote:
              >"nnnLines" library sounds like just what I want for a file processing
              >template. But where is it? I searched the archive files on the website, and
              >also the 'files' area of this Yahoo group, but to no avail.

              Here you go.
              <http://www.notetab.net/zip/nnnlines.zip>

              Lotta
            • hsavage
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 30, 2006
                Bob Gorman wrote:
                > gunnisonbirder ,
                > At Monday 07:57 AM 6/19/2006, you wrote:
                >
                >> While trying to find a solution to my problem I came across the clip
                >> library called "nnnLines" in the archives.
                >
                > "nnnLines" library sounds like just what I want for a file processing
                > template. But where is it? I searched the archive files on the
                website, and
                > also the 'files' area of this Yahoo group, but to no avail.
                >
                > Is there another secret archive I don't know about, that has this
                clip and
                > perhaps other useful ones as well?
                >
                > Please send a pointer to the download link.
                >
                > Thanks,
                > Bob

                Bob,

                Here's the link you asked for to 'nnnLines.clb!

                http://www.notetab.net/zip/nnnlines.zip

                ºvº
                06.06.30_19.53
                -Newspaper HeadLine...
                "New Study of Obesity Looks for Larger Test Group"
                hrs ø hsavage@...
              • hsavage
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 30, 2006
                  loro wrote:
                  > Bob Gorman wrote:
                  >> "nnnLines" library sounds like just what I want for a file processing
                  >> template. But where is it? I searched the archive files on the
                  website, and
                  >> also the 'files' area of this Yahoo group, but to no avail.
                  >
                  > Here you go.
                  > <http://www.notetab.net/zip/nnnlines.zip>
                  >
                  > Lotta

                  Lotta,

                  I just sent Bob the same link, that's what I get for not reading ahead!

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 30, 2006
                    Hi Harvey,
                    >I just sent Bob the same link, that's what I get for not reading ahead!

                    That should guarantee it's the right link!

                    Lotta
                  • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 1, 2006
                      Great there goes another secret ;-)
                      Did you get your answer on how to remove those lines Bob?

                      >Is there another secret archive I don't know about, that has this clip
                      and perhaps other useful ones as well?

                      snip...