Re: [Clip] Testing Conditions?

  • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 10, 2006
      I love IfError for just these kinds of situations.
      >> ^!IfError EXIT
    • Phillip Sand Hansel II
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 11, 2006
        Thank you. I very much appreciate your insight (hsavage, et al).

        >>Op's original clip, for whatever reason, make three passes through, each
        >>time
        looking for one of the three (and if found, reset the var with what was
        found).

        I knew my method was not elegant, I broke it down into steps I could
        understand. The RegEx method is much better CPU wise and maintenance wise. I
        mean, it will be easier for me to grow the list. On all wells, there is the
        possibility of hundreds, but in any one well, there is probably only one
        Deep Resistivity curve that I need to make a customized comment for. [Then
        there's a Medium, and a Shallow, a density, a gamma ray, a neutron and a
        sonic...etc... several different flavours of the same problem. When I get
        one worked out, then it is cut & paste cloning time.]

        It is awkward to explain, I should have posted an example (I will next
        time). However both respondents answered the question; one told me
        specifically what was wrong with my example, and the other answered the
        question in the way that I should have asked it if I had known better.

        The First Respondents suggestion worked, turns out I was adding a few
        characters ^! on the skip statement and when that didn't work, I modified
        everything radically to something that didn't work worse.

        I created quite a large clip out of the FR's logic, but see the advantages
        of Mr. hsavage's method, so I'll be converting that 1st effort to the RegEx
        method.

        Thanks a lot, pretty soon I'll be able to do half of my job without thinking
        and in just a few clicks. This won't get me more money, but it will get me a
        few more minutes to sit out on my deck and watch the birds. :-)

        Mr. Phillip Sand Hansel II
        http://philliphansel.com
      • Phillip Sand Hansel II
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 11, 2006
          Everyone questioned the Last Step... I think that was because I was using
          Tab delimited Replace. If you don't see the tabs, or if email stripped them,
          it is harder to figure out.

          Maybe it should look like this...
          ^!Replace "DRESWS.OHMM" >> "DRESWS.OHMM : DEEP RESISTIVITY [^%DRES%]"
          CIWS

          I am trying to say, "if you find that word, replace it with itself, plus a
          colon followed by a descriptive comment that also mentions it's source curve
          name".

          This comment and source curve everybody else types in manually (tedious and
          prone to error; I shudder). I've got it 90% automatic and am trying to
          squeeze in that most complicated last 8% (2% of the cases I probably won't
          be able to clip my way out of, but that's not a problem considering.).

          I've made a lot of clips that work; they may not be pretty, but they get the
          job done. As I keep reading the list, I learn more elegant solutions.

          Thanks again,
          Mr. Phillip Sand Hansel II
          http://philliphansel.com

          > ; LAST STEP, change comment to the one that was found in the file.
          > ^!Replace "DRESWS.OHMM DRESWS.OHMM" >> ": DEEP RESISTIVITY [^%DRES%]"
          > CIWS
          > <>····· End Clip ·····<>
        • hsavage
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 11, 2006
            Phillip Sand Hansel II wrote:
            > Thank you. I very much appreciate your insight (hsavage, et al).
            >
            >>> Op's original clip, for whatever reason, make three passes through,
            each
            >>> time
            > looking for one of the three (and if found, reset the var with what was
            > found).
            >
            > On all wells, there is the possibility of hundreds, but in any one well,
            > there is probably only one Deep Resistivity curve that I need to make a
            > customized comment for. [Then there's a Medium, and a Shallow, a
            density,
            > a gamma ray, a neutron and a sonic...etc... several different
            flavours of the
            > same problem. When I get one worked out, then it is cut & paste
            cloning time.]

            > It is awkward to explain, I should have posted an example (I will next
            > time). However both respondents answered the question; one told me
            > specifically what was wrong with my example, and the other answered the
            > question in the way that I should have asked it if I had known better.
            >
            > Thanks a lot, pretty soon I'll be able to do half of my job without
            thinking
            > and in just a few clicks. This won't get me more money, but it will
            get me a
            > few more minutes to sit out on my deck and watch the birds. :-)
            >
            > Mr. Phillip Sand Hansel II
            > http://philliphansel.com

            Phillip,

            If there are, in fact, hundreds of possibles the way you might want to
            go is with an array populated by a small database of you compilation.
            If enough possibles are included in your custom list/database you could
            probably get by without having to edit the clip, at least not too often.

            The array/database method should apply to any other repetitious use of
            variables. You can add the other flavors into one clip and possibly use
            Wizards to make the preliminary choices.

            ºvº
            06.06.11_20.00
            "Driving a Car Safely; A Skill You 'CAN' Acquire."
            hrs ø hsavage@...
          • hsavage
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 11, 2006
              Phillip Sand Hansel II wrote:
              > Everyone questioned the Last Step... I think that was because I was
              using
              > Tab delimited Replace. If you don't see the tabs, or if email
              stripped them,
              > it is harder to figure out.
              >
              > Maybe it should look like this...
              > ^!Replace "DRESWS.OHMM" >> "DRESWS.OHMM : DEEP RESISTIVITY
              [^%DRES%]"
              > CIWS
              >
              > Thanks again,
              > Mr. Phillip Sand Hansel II

              Phillip,

              Immediately apparent when double-arrow '>>' delimiter is used.