Trying to replace single and double quote marks in a script

  • Sharon
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 9, 2006
      Help please! I'm trying to write a NoteTab script that will replace
      Word-type single and double quotes with straight ASCII quotes, so I
      can then process text originally from Word files and put it into an
      html WYSIWYG editor.

      However, trying to do something like

      ^!Replace """ >> """ TWA

      obviously doesn't work.

      But I can't get

      ^!Replace "[I put a tab here]" TWA

      to work either.

      For that matter, I can't even get it working to do the single quotes like

      ^!Replace "'">> "'" TWA

      Does anyone have any advice? Thanks!
      Sharon
    • St John Tremayne
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 9, 2006
        Ditto to Sharon's problem. I've got a series of replace statements that SHOULD
        work: replace left-hand quote with ascii quote, replace slanty apostrophe with
        ascii apostrophe, replace M-dash with ascii double hyphen, on and on. I run
        the clip, and it recognizes plus replaces the FIRST left-hand quote, then
        blanks out on everything else, AND it somehow changes the other left-hand
        quotes into something else that I have to copy into the regular replace
        function ([ctrl]R) before NoteTab recognizes it.

        If I put words into the clip instead of punctuation marks, it works, so I'm on
        the right track.

        I'm about to give up ... and, yes, I have been checking the archives, so far
        haven't come up with an answer that works. Right now, I depend on a whole list
        of such "enriched" punctuation I want to run a find-and-replace on, and copy
        each one singly into the replace window. Tedious.

        Not a programmer, just an amateur floundering in the deep end. Any help you
        can give Sharon would be greatly appreciated by more than just her!

        StJohn Tremayne
        sinjohns@...

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 10, 2006
          St John Tremayne wrote:
          > Ditto to Sharon's problem. I've got a series of replace statements that SHOULD
          > work: replace left-hand quote with ascii quote, replace slanty apostrophe with
          > ascii apostrophe, replace M-dash with ascii double hyphen, on and on. I run
          > the clip, and it recognizes plus replaces the FIRST left-hand quote, then
          > blanks out on everything else, AND it somehow changes the other left-hand
          > quotes into something else that I have to copy into the regular replace
          > function ([ctrl]R) before NoteTab recognizes it.
          >
          > If I put words into the clip instead of punctuation marks, it works, so I'm on
          > the right track.
          >
          > I'm about to give up ... and, yes, I have been checking the archives, so far
          > haven't come up with an answer that works. Right now, I depend on a whole list
          > of such "enriched" punctuation I want to run a find-and-replace on, and copy
          > each one singly into the replace window. Tedious.
          >
          > Not a programmer, just an amateur floundering in the deep end. Any help you
          > can give Sharon would be greatly appreciated by more than just her!
          >
          > StJohn Tremayne
          > sinjohns@...

          I wrote a quote clip some time ago for a librarian on this list. Others
          helped and it did about what you are describing as I recall. Do you
          have a copy of the file you are wanting to change before and after so I
          can see it? If so directly shoot it to me via my email and I bet I can
          fix you up if you are still in need.

          P.S. Of course you are a programmer, just not a great one yet :-)

          Don