Re: [Clip] Testing Conditions?

  • Alan_C
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 9, 2006
      On Friday 09 June 2006 07:55, hsavage wrote:
      > Phillip Sand Hansel II wrote:
      > > Greetings:
      [ . . ]
      > <>····· Start Clip ·····<>
      > H="Change Generic Curve Comment To Reflect Specific Source Curve Name"
      > ^!ClearVariables
      > ^!Jump 1
      > ^!Find ILDED|AT90ED|LATED RS
      > ^!IfError EXIT
      > ^!Set %DRES%=^$GetSelection$
      > ^!Info [L]^%DRES%
      > ;
      > ; LAST STEP, change comment to the one that was found in the file.
      > ^!Replace "DRESWS.OHMM DRESWS.OHMM" >> ": DEEP RESISTIVITY [^%DRES%]"
      > CIWS
      > <>····· End Clip ·····<>

      Superb. But it is different in that it makes just one pass through so as to
      locate only any one out of the three.

      Op's original clip, for whatever reason, make three passes through, each time
      looking for one of the three (and if found, reset the var with what was
      found).

      So (OP) the var could get reset three times whereas in code above it only find
      one of the three and then set the var just once, even if all three are in
      doc.

      But I don't fully grasp what/why the OP reset the var up to three times given
      if three are found.

      So perhaps the above is what is needed.

      I'm just pointing out (mostly to the OP as I'm sure that H.S. knows already)
      that difference(s) exist.

      --
      Alan.
    • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 10, 2006
        I love IfError for just these kinds of situations.
        >> ^!IfError EXIT
      • Phillip Sand Hansel II
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 11, 2006
          Thank you. I very much appreciate your insight (hsavage, et al).

          >>Op's original clip, for whatever reason, make three passes through, each
          >>time
          looking for one of the three (and if found, reset the var with what was
          found).

          I knew my method was not elegant, I broke it down into steps I could
          understand. The RegEx method is much better CPU wise and maintenance wise. I
          mean, it will be easier for me to grow the list. On all wells, there is the
          possibility of hundreds, but in any one well, there is probably only one
          Deep Resistivity curve that I need to make a customized comment for. [Then
          there's a Medium, and a Shallow, a density, a gamma ray, a neutron and a
          sonic...etc... several different flavours of the same problem. When I get
          one worked out, then it is cut & paste cloning time.]

          It is awkward to explain, I should have posted an example (I will next
          time). However both respondents answered the question; one told me
          specifically what was wrong with my example, and the other answered the
          question in the way that I should have asked it if I had known better.

          The First Respondents suggestion worked, turns out I was adding a few
          characters ^! on the skip statement and when that didn't work, I modified
          everything radically to something that didn't work worse.

          I created quite a large clip out of the FR's logic, but see the advantages
          of Mr. hsavage's method, so I'll be converting that 1st effort to the RegEx
          method.

          Thanks a lot, pretty soon I'll be able to do half of my job without thinking
          and in just a few clicks. This won't get me more money, but it will get me a
          few more minutes to sit out on my deck and watch the birds. :-)

          Mr. Phillip Sand Hansel II
          http://philliphansel.com
        • Phillip Sand Hansel II
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 11, 2006
            Everyone questioned the Last Step... I think that was because I was using
            Tab delimited Replace. If you don't see the tabs, or if email stripped them,
            it is harder to figure out.

            Maybe it should look like this...
            ^!Replace "DRESWS.OHMM" >> "DRESWS.OHMM : DEEP RESISTIVITY [^%DRES%]"
            CIWS

            I am trying to say, "if you find that word, replace it with itself, plus a
            colon followed by a descriptive comment that also mentions it's source curve
            name".

            This comment and source curve everybody else types in manually (tedious and
            prone to error; I shudder). I've got it 90% automatic and am trying to
            squeeze in that most complicated last 8% (2% of the cases I probably won't
            be able to clip my way out of, but that's not a problem considering.).

            I've made a lot of clips that work; they may not be pretty, but they get the
            job done. As I keep reading the list, I learn more elegant solutions.

            Thanks again,
            Mr. Phillip Sand Hansel II
            http://philliphansel.com

            > ; LAST STEP, change comment to the one that was found in the file.
            > ^!Replace "DRESWS.OHMM DRESWS.OHMM" >> ": DEEP RESISTIVITY [^%DRES%]"
            > CIWS
            > <>····· End Clip ·····<>
          • hsavage
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 11, 2006
              Phillip Sand Hansel II wrote:
              > Thank you. I very much appreciate your insight (hsavage, et al).
              >
              >>> Op's original clip, for whatever reason, make three passes through,
              each
              >>> time
              > looking for one of the three (and if found, reset the var with what was
              > found).
              >
              > On all wells, there is the possibility of hundreds, but in any one well,
              > there is probably only one Deep Resistivity curve that I need to make a
              > customized comment for. [Then there's a Medium, and a Shallow, a
              density,
              > a gamma ray, a neutron and a sonic...etc... several different
              flavours of the
              > same problem. When I get one worked out, then it is cut & paste
              cloning time.]

              > It is awkward to explain, I should have posted an example (I will next
              > time). However both respondents answered the question; one told me
              > specifically what was wrong with my example, and the other answered the
              > question in the way that I should have asked it if I had known better.
              >
              > Thanks a lot, pretty soon I'll be able to do half of my job without
              thinking
              > and in just a few clicks. This won't get me more money, but it will
              get me a
              > few more minutes to sit out on my deck and watch the birds. :-)
              >
              > Mr. Phillip Sand Hansel II
              > http://philliphansel.com

              Phillip,

              If there are, in fact, hundreds of possibles the way you might want to
              go is with an array populated by a small database of you compilation.
              If enough possibles are included in your custom list/database you could
              probably get by without having to edit the clip, at least not too often.

              The array/database method should apply to any other repetitious use of
              variables. You can add the other flavors into one clip and possibly use
              Wizards to make the preliminary choices.

              ºvº
              06.06.11_20.00
              "Driving a Car Safely; A Skill You 'CAN' Acquire."
              hrs ø hsavage@...
            • hsavage
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 11, 2006
                Phillip Sand Hansel II wrote:
                > Everyone questioned the Last Step... I think that was because I was
                using
                > Tab delimited Replace. If you don't see the tabs, or if email
                stripped them,
                > it is harder to figure out.
                >
                > Maybe it should look like this...
                > ^!Replace "DRESWS.OHMM" >> "DRESWS.OHMM : DEEP RESISTIVITY
                [^%DRES%]"
                > CIWS
                >
                > Thanks again,
                > Mr. Phillip Sand Hansel II

                Phillip,

                Immediately apparent when double-arrow '>>' delimiter is used.