Re: [Clip] Testing Conditions?

  • hsavage
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 9, 2006
      hsavage wrote:
      > Phillip Sand Hansel II wrote:
      >> Greetings:
      >>
      >> I am trying to find out if a word is in a file I am editing, and if
      >>
      >> ; Attempt to auto-replace second variable based on presence of first.
      >> ^!SetCursor 1:1
      >>
      >> Mr. Phillip Sand Hansel II
      >
      > Phillip,
      >
      > <>····· Start Clip ·····<>
      > H="Change Generic Curve Comment To Reflect Specific Source Curve Name"
      > ^!ClearVariables
      > ^!Jump 1
      > ^!Find ILDED|AT90ED|LATED RS
      > ^!IfError EXIT
      > ^!Set %DRES%=^$GetSelection$
      > ^!Info [L]^%DRES%
      > ;
      > ; LAST STEP, change comment to the one that was found in the file.
      > ^!Replace "DRESWS.OHMM DRESWS.OHMM" >> ": DEEP RESISTIVITY [^%DRES%]"
      > CIWS
      > <>····· End Clip ·····<>

      Phillip,

      In my example clip is an error. ^!Find ILDED|AT90ED|LATED RS, should be
      stated as, ^!Find (ILDED)|(AT90ED)|(LATED) RS, with each term in
      parentheses, this applies to NoteTab Pro 4.95.

      ºvº
      06.06.09_11.04
      "Cooking III; How Not to Inflict Your Diets on Other People."
      hrs ø hsavage@...
    • Alan_C
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 9, 2006
        On Friday 09 June 2006 07:55, hsavage wrote:
        > Phillip Sand Hansel II wrote:
        > > Greetings:
        [ . . ]
        > <>····· Start Clip ·····<>
        > H="Change Generic Curve Comment To Reflect Specific Source Curve Name"
        > ^!ClearVariables
        > ^!Jump 1
        > ^!Find ILDED|AT90ED|LATED RS
        > ^!IfError EXIT
        > ^!Set %DRES%=^$GetSelection$
        > ^!Info [L]^%DRES%
        > ;
        > ; LAST STEP, change comment to the one that was found in the file.
        > ^!Replace "DRESWS.OHMM DRESWS.OHMM" >> ": DEEP RESISTIVITY [^%DRES%]"
        > CIWS
        > <>····· End Clip ·····<>

        Superb. But it is different in that it makes just one pass through so as to
        locate only any one out of the three.

        Op's original clip, for whatever reason, make three passes through, each time
        looking for one of the three (and if found, reset the var with what was
        found).

        So (OP) the var could get reset three times whereas in code above it only find
        one of the three and then set the var just once, even if all three are in
        doc.

        But I don't fully grasp what/why the OP reset the var up to three times given
        if three are found.

        So perhaps the above is what is needed.

        I'm just pointing out (mostly to the OP as I'm sure that H.S. knows already)
        that difference(s) exist.

        --
        Alan.
      • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 10, 2006
          I love IfError for just these kinds of situations.
          >> ^!IfError EXIT
        • Phillip Sand Hansel II
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 11, 2006
            Thank you. I very much appreciate your insight (hsavage, et al).

            >>Op's original clip, for whatever reason, make three passes through, each
            >>time
            looking for one of the three (and if found, reset the var with what was
            found).

            I knew my method was not elegant, I broke it down into steps I could
            understand. The RegEx method is much better CPU wise and maintenance wise. I
            mean, it will be easier for me to grow the list. On all wells, there is the
            possibility of hundreds, but in any one well, there is probably only one
            Deep Resistivity curve that I need to make a customized comment for. [Then
            there's a Medium, and a Shallow, a density, a gamma ray, a neutron and a
            sonic...etc... several different flavours of the same problem. When I get
            one worked out, then it is cut & paste cloning time.]

            It is awkward to explain, I should have posted an example (I will next
            time). However both respondents answered the question; one told me
            specifically what was wrong with my example, and the other answered the
            question in the way that I should have asked it if I had known better.

            The First Respondents suggestion worked, turns out I was adding a few
            characters ^! on the skip statement and when that didn't work, I modified
            everything radically to something that didn't work worse.

            I created quite a large clip out of the FR's logic, but see the advantages
            of Mr. hsavage's method, so I'll be converting that 1st effort to the RegEx
            method.

            Thanks a lot, pretty soon I'll be able to do half of my job without thinking
            and in just a few clicks. This won't get me more money, but it will get me a
            few more minutes to sit out on my deck and watch the birds. :-)

            Mr. Phillip Sand Hansel II
            http://philliphansel.com
          • Phillip Sand Hansel II
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 11, 2006
              Everyone questioned the Last Step... I think that was because I was using
              Tab delimited Replace. If you don't see the tabs, or if email stripped them,
              it is harder to figure out.

              Maybe it should look like this...
              ^!Replace "DRESWS.OHMM" >> "DRESWS.OHMM : DEEP RESISTIVITY [^%DRES%]"
              CIWS

              I am trying to say, "if you find that word, replace it with itself, plus a
              colon followed by a descriptive comment that also mentions it's source curve
              name".

              This comment and source curve everybody else types in manually (tedious and
              prone to error; I shudder). I've got it 90% automatic and am trying to
              squeeze in that most complicated last 8% (2% of the cases I probably won't
              be able to clip my way out of, but that's not a problem considering.).

              I've made a lot of clips that work; they may not be pretty, but they get the
              job done. As I keep reading the list, I learn more elegant solutions.

              Thanks again,
              Mr. Phillip Sand Hansel II
              http://philliphansel.com

              > ; LAST STEP, change comment to the one that was found in the file.
              > ^!Replace "DRESWS.OHMM DRESWS.OHMM" >> ": DEEP RESISTIVITY [^%DRES%]"
              > CIWS
              > <>····· End Clip ·····<>
            • hsavage
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 11, 2006
                Phillip Sand Hansel II wrote:
                > Thank you. I very much appreciate your insight (hsavage, et al).
                >
                >>> Op's original clip, for whatever reason, make three passes through,
                each
                >>> time
                > looking for one of the three (and if found, reset the var with what was
                > found).
                >
                > On all wells, there is the possibility of hundreds, but in any one well,
                > there is probably only one Deep Resistivity curve that I need to make a
                > customized comment for. [Then there's a Medium, and a Shallow, a
                density,
                > a gamma ray, a neutron and a sonic...etc... several different
                flavours of the
                > same problem. When I get one worked out, then it is cut & paste
                cloning time.]

                > It is awkward to explain, I should have posted an example (I will next
                > time). However both respondents answered the question; one told me
                > specifically what was wrong with my example, and the other answered the
                > question in the way that I should have asked it if I had known better.
                >
                > Thanks a lot, pretty soon I'll be able to do half of my job without
                thinking
                > and in just a few clicks. This won't get me more money, but it will
                get me a
                > few more minutes to sit out on my deck and watch the birds. :-)
                >
                > Mr. Phillip Sand Hansel II
                > http://philliphansel.com

                Phillip,

                If there are, in fact, hundreds of possibles the way you might want to
                go is with an array populated by a small database of you compilation.
                If enough possibles are included in your custom list/database you could
                probably get by without having to edit the clip, at least not too often.

                The array/database method should apply to any other repetitious use of
                variables. You can add the other flavors into one clip and possibly use
                Wizards to make the preliminary choices.

                ºvº
                06.06.11_20.00
                "Driving a Car Safely; A Skill You 'CAN' Acquire."
                hrs ø hsavage@...
              • hsavage
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 11, 2006
                  Phillip Sand Hansel II wrote:
                  > Everyone questioned the Last Step... I think that was because I was
                  using
                  > Tab delimited Replace. If you don't see the tabs, or if email
                  stripped them,
                  > it is harder to figure out.
                  >
                  > Maybe it should look like this...
                  > ^!Replace "DRESWS.OHMM" >> "DRESWS.OHMM : DEEP RESISTIVITY
                  [^%DRES%]"
                  > CIWS
                  >
                  > Thanks again,
                  > Mr. Phillip Sand Hansel II

                  Phillip,

                  Immediately apparent when double-arrow '>>' delimiter is used.