How can I find out which versions of NoteTab are installed on a computer?

  • Andreas
    Message 1 of 6 , May 31, 2006
      Hi all,
      I want to build an installer for my sfz toolbox clip library. I am
      now looking for a good way to find out:
      (1) which versions of NoteTab are installed on the computer
      (2) the path of the application folder(s) for these installations.
      (3) wether the current user has writing access to these directories.

      It seems like NoteTab won't write anything into the registry unless it
      is explicitly told to do so. I have now resorted to querying the
      existance of the default installation folders:

      %application folder%\NoteTab Free\
      %application folder%\NoteTab Std\
      %application folder%\NoteTab Pro\

      But I am not very happy with that. What if NoteTab was installed in a
      different location? Where should I start to search for the app folder?
      (A user without adminitrative rights could for example have installed
      the application into his myFiles section to avoid
      write access problems in the main application folder.
      BTW: what happens actually if one tries to install NoteTab without
      administrator rights?

      Thanks!
    • Lee Underwood
      Message 2 of 6 , May 31, 2006
        * You can get the version by going to Help --> About

        * You can find the path by right-clicking on the link you use to
        start the software (either the shortcut or the item on the program
        menu), click on Properties and you will find the path there.

        * As to the user's access, it depends on the platform that's being used.

        Lee

        On 5/31/2006 05:42 AM, Andreas wrote:

        >Hi all,
        >I want to build an installer for my sfz toolbox clip library. I am
        >now looking for a good way to find out:
        >(1) which versions of NoteTab are installed on the computer
        >(2) the path of the application folder(s) for these installations.
        >(3) wether the current user has writing access to these directories.
        >
        >It seems like NoteTab won't write anything into the registry unless it
        >is explicitly told to do so. I have now resorted to querying the
        >existance of the default installation folders:
        >
        >%application folder%\NoteTab Free\
        >%application folder%\NoteTab Std\
        >%application folder%\NoteTab Pro\
        >
        >But I am not very happy with that. What if NoteTab was installed in a
        >different location? Where should I start to search for the app folder?
        >(A user without adminitrative rights could for example have installed
        >the application into his myFiles section to avoid
        >write access problems in the main application folder.
        >BTW: what happens actually if one tries to install NoteTab without
        >administrator rights?
        >
        >Thanks!

        >Yahoo! Groups Links
        >

        >--
      • Andreas Sumerauer
        Message 3 of 6 , May 31, 2006
          Thanks for answering. My question was a bit different however:
          I know where to retrieve the information on my own computer.
          The point is: I am about to write an installer for a clip library and in
          the end I want this installer to (hopefully) work fine an any computer
          that has a copy of NoteTab installed somewhere.
          Since people tend to do strange things with their computers my problem
          is: how can I make sure I (quickly!) find the copy of NoteTab that the
          guy is working with.

          Lee Underwood schrieb:
          > * You can get the version by going to Help --> About

          that won't work here (see above)

          > * You can find the path by right-clicking on the link you use to
          > start the software (either the shortcut or the item on the program
          > menu), click on Properties and you will find the path there.

          that's after all an interesting thought: I'll let the installer search
          the start menu and the desktop for NoteTab enries. This should catch
          them :-)

          Thanks!

          > * As to the user's access, it depends on the platform that's being used.

          hehe, I think I knew that before. What I would like to know is how the
          NoteTab installer handels these cases (just to get a clou if there are
          "non standard" installation directories to look for) Running the Notetab
          installers on different machines just to get this information is way too
          much work for this project. I just had hoped that somebody had tried
          that before and could give me some hints.

          regards

          Andreas

          > On 5/31/2006 05:42 AM, Andreas wrote:
          >
          > >Hi all,
          > >I want to build an installer for my sfz toolbox clip library. I am
          > >now looking for a good way to find out:
          > >(1) which versions of NoteTab are installed on the computer
          > >(2) the path of the application folder(s) for these installations.
          > >(3) wether the current user has writing access to these directories.
          > >
          > >It seems like NoteTab won't write anything into the registry unless it
          > >is explicitly told to do so. I have now resorted to querying the
          > >existance of the default installation folders:
          > >
          > >%application folder%\NoteTab Free\
          > >%application folder%\NoteTab Std\
          > >%application folder%\NoteTab Pro\
          > >
          > >But I am not very happy with that. What if NoteTab was installed in a
          > >different location? Where should I start to search for the app folder?
          > >(A user without adminitrative rights could for example have installed
          > >the application into his myFiles section to avoid
          > >write access problems in the main application folder.
          > >BTW: what happens actually if one tries to install NoteTab without
          > >administrator rights?
          > >
          > >Thanks!

        • hsavage
          Message 4 of 6 , May 31, 2006
            Andreas wrote:
            > Hi all,
            > I want to build an installer for my sfz toolbox clip library. I am
            > now looking for a good way to find out:
            > (1) which versions of NoteTab are installed on the computer
            > (2) the path of the application folder(s) for these installations.
            > (3) wether the current user has writing access to these directories.
            >
            > It seems like NoteTab won't write anything into the registry unless it
            > is explicitly told to do so. I have now resorted to querying the
            > existance of the default installation folders:
            >
            > %application folder%\NoteTab Free\
            > %application folder%\NoteTab Std\
            > %application folder%\NoteTab Pro\
            >
            > But I am not very happy with that. What if NoteTab was installed in a
            > different location? Where should I start to search for the app folder?
            > (A user without adminitrative rights could for example have installed
            > the application into his myFiles section to avoid
            > write access problems in the main application folder.
            > BTW: what happens actually if one tries to install NoteTab without
            > administrator rights?
            >
            > Thanks!

            Andreas,

            This may help but the drawback is NoteTab must be running to employ any
            of these to get the information.

            H="Getappfilename"
            ^!Info [L]^$GetPath(^$GetAppFileName$)$
            ^!Info [L]^$GetAppFileName$
            ^!Info [L]^$GetAppPath$
            ^!Info [L]^$GetAppTitle$
            ^!Info [L]^$GetEditorType$

            ºvº
            06.05.31_09.36
            -Newspaper HeadLine...
            "New Study of Obesity Looks for Larger Test Group"
            hrs ø hsavage@...
          • rpdooling
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 2, 2006
              On my machine, in

              c:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro

              there is a an xml file called

              NotePro.exe.manifest

              That contains all of the particulars. I assume the other two flavors
              of installation have a similar file. Now you need to script using WSH
              VBS Perl or Python to find the dir (NoteTab*) and
              file(Note*.exe.manifest) and extract the xml info.

              That's all I can think of.

              rpd
            • Larry Hamilton
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 23, 2006
                rpd,

                I was looking for something in my clips list archive, and noticed that
                there did not seem to be an answer to you question in your email of June
                2, 2006.

                NoteTab has three functions that could help in this regard.

                ^$GetEditorType$ returns Light, Standard, or Pro.

                ^$GetProgName$ returns the full name of the NoteTab variant.

                ^$GetProgVersion$ returns the current version number.

                Used together, these three functions can help check to see if a
                particular clip can work for a particular installation of NoteTab. This
                combined with checking the ClipCode.chm to make sure what version a
                particular command was added, goes a long way to help with clip
                compatibility. It is very helpful that Eric added what version he added
                or changed a particular clip command or function.

                There may also be something stored in the registry, and the registry
                reading capabilities of NoteTab could be helpful there.

                HTH,

                Larry Hamilton
                Kairos Computer Solutions
                http://www.kairoscomputers.com/