Clip wizards - Is there a way to bring up the file open box?

  • Andreas
    Message 1 of 3 , May 11, 2006
      Hi all,

      I want to present the user with a file open box. Is there a way to
      bypass the input wizard? I feel that the input field can be confusing
      for the some users (some people will just not click the [...] button).

      I also find it a bit inconvinient that the user has to make two double
      clicks (first one on the clip mane, the second one on the [...] button
      in the clip wizard) to access the open box. This can get quite
      annoying when a greater number of files have to be accessed.
      thanks for any answers.

      Andreas Sumerauer
    • Sheri
      Message 2 of 3 , May 11, 2006
        Hi Andreas,

        Notetab clips can deliver keystrokes to various apps using clips, but
        since the next clip command won't run until the user completes the
        clip wizard, that's not going to work here. You could have your clip
        assign and present a default file to open. Then the user could click
        OK instead of [...] and something would get opened.

        If you want to do more, read on.

        At one time (pretty long time ago) I integrated external script
        applications into some of my clips. In particular I used Powerpro and
        AutoIt.

        You can look at my Music and Video Player library which is posted in
        the files area of this group's Yahoo site. In that one, I used
        Powerpro to increase the window size of a clip wizard as well as
        deliver some keystrokes to it. Seems to me, if you named your file
        open wizard something unique, you could get Powerpro to automatically
        deliver a tab and enter to it.

        AutoIt was used in developing my Document History clips (also in our
        files area). An AutoIt script monitors and logs the files being
        edited in Notetab by reading the file name at the top of the Notetab
        Application Window. That log gets manipulated and accessed by Perl
        and by NoteTab clip commands. Don't remember if I specifically did
        anything with clip wizards and AutoIt, but I'm sure it would be
        possible.

        There are Yahoo groups for Powerpro and AutoIt and afaik they are
        both still very powerful freeware apps.

        Hope it helps,
        Sheri
      • Andreas Sumerauer